http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:25:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 82442 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 05, 2013, 09:56:19 PM

Better to say something (as long as it's non-offensive) than to say nothing at all.

Like they keep saying nothing about the next-gen console they refuse to acknowledge but are making?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2013, 10:21:08 PM

Better to say something (as long as it's non-offensive) than to say nothing at all.

Like they keep saying nothing about the next-gen console they refuse to acknowledge but are making?

That's different and part of a carefully planned marketing push. This is about getting an unexpected PR problem under control. Showing that they're aware of the issue goes a long way.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:28 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 05, 2013, 10:24:42 PM

That's different and part of a carefully planned marketing push. This is about getting an unexpected PR problem under control. Showing that they're aware of the issue goes a long way.

There's a marketing push?  They really need to get some info out stat lest Sony continue to get all the next-gen attention?  I mean, in the end I guess I don't care because I'm pretty much done with giving Microsoft my money, but I just sit here and shake my head at how they are handling this next-gen console launch.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2013, 12:32:22 AM »

In the last 2 console generations I've purchased both the xbox and 360 on day 1 of their respective launches.  Unless the 720 is something magical, I'll be passing on this one.  It seems like such a stupid idea to require a constant online connection to start and play games & apps, with timed lockouts (3 minutes?) for dropped connections.  If that's true, they have lost their minds. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2013, 05:59:42 AM »

Well, just like I gave Sony the benefit of the doubt, let's see what is actually announced later this Month.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2013, 06:35:04 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 06, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

There's a marketing push?  They really need to get some info out stat lest Sony continue to get all the next-gen attention?  I mean, in the end I guess I don't care because I'm pretty much done with giving Microsoft my money, but I just sit here and shake my head at how they are handling this next-gen console launch.

I agree on the info needs to be released,i am hearing Pre-orders for PS4 are performing great,and they can only gain more momentum while all this crap goes on in the MS camp

sure they are only rumorus,but they are still not nice rumours

Quote from: Turtle on April 06, 2013, 05:59:42 AM

Well, just like I gave Sony the benefit of the doubt, let's see what is actually announced later this Month.

which is from another rumour that the end of April is when they will reveal...and we have some 3 weeks left of this month,and they have still not announced any presentation!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:37:01 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 06, 2013, 06:35:04 AM

which is from another rumour that the end of April is when they will reveal...and we have some 3 weeks left of this month,and they have still not announced any presentation!!

IIRC they only gave a few days notice for their Surface announcement so I wouldn't bet on a big stretch of time between the announcement of the presentation and the presentation itself.  they know the press is interested, and even if they gave 24 hour notice I'm sure the big gaming sites would bend over backwards to get people in place for coverage.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2013, 06:49:30 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 06, 2013, 06:35:04 AM

IIRC they only gave a few days notice for their Surface announcement so I wouldn't bet on a big stretch of time between the announcement of the presentation and the presentation itself.  they know the press is interested, and even if they gave 24 hour notice I'm sure the big gaming sites would bend over backwards to get people in place for coverage.

CK!!...I was on a roll then!!  icon_evil Tongue

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 06, 2013, 12:21:28 AM

There's a marketing push?  They really need to get some info out stat lest Sony continue to get all the next-gen attention?  I mean, in the end I guess I don't care because I'm pretty much done with giving Microsoft my money, but I just sit here and shake my head at how they are handling this next-gen console launch.

I won't pretend to know if Microsoft's strategy is good or bad. There are simply too many unknown factors. I do understand why they're holding back however. There's a very fine line for announcement times, where being too early means your console is "old news" by the time it launches, and being too late means you won't be able to build up enough hype in time. This very discussion is a good example of why they are doing what they do. We're eagerly arguing about Microsoft's console right now, with the PS4 hardly being mentioned in comparison.

Having said that, I sure hope Microsoft has an ace up their sleeve, because right now I can't see anything about the Durango to convince me that I need one in addition to the PS4.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »

Eurogamer

Report Suggests:

May 21st reveal
named simply 'Xbox'(heard this before)
$500 or $300 with a subscription(like last years 360 model or XBLG?)
Launch Early November(which means this and the PS4 would not be far apart)

The report also says that a new budget version of Xbox 360 is to be released this year,which gives way to rumours that the new Xbox will not play 360 games

Named just "Xbox", Microsoft's machine will be "expensive" and cost around $500 (roughly £326, although likely higher in the UK). A lower price $300 (£195) model will also be available with some form of subscription.

Thurrot's report also mentioned two other unannounced Xbox-branded machines. One, code-named "Yumo", was to be an Xbox device purely for entertainment apps, rather than games. The product has seemingly been canned to avoid confusing consumers.

The other machine is a new budget-priced Xbox 360 model, code-named "Stingray". Due for release later this year, the device will cost just $99 (£65). Thurrot suggested this may mean Microsoft's new Xbox would not play Xbox 360 games.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »

This actually fits pretty nicely with Michael Pachter's predictions. If he keeps being right, expect the subscription mentioned to possibly be about more than Xbox Live Gold. It might involve something else, such as Netflix or similar services.

IIRC, the PS4 is supposed to launch with two models as well, one for $400 and one for $500, with the difference being in storage space. This is an unverified rumor of course. I'm not sure if the Xbox' subscription plan will be enough to entice customers, but I guess we'll see. The real issue will be the always on requirement, something at least Sony has clearly said they will not do.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »

So office goes subscription and now the Xbox. I wonder how long till Windows itself is that way.

The PS4 is looking better by the day.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »

Wait a sec -- someone just said PS4 preorders are doing well.

Where can you preorder it??
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »

I've been stauchly saying that there's no way MS would require internet access on their next gen console, but it's getting harder and harder to deny. More and more it's looking like PS4 for me next gen. I still hope it's all just rumor or misinterpretation though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 08, 2013, 02:16:59 PM

I think some stores in the UK are taking them, but in the US you can't unless you're a die hard Auburn fan.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on April 08, 2013, 03:29:27 PM

I've been stauchly saying that there's no way MS would require internet access on their next gen console, but it's getting harder and harder to deny. More and more it's looking like PS4 for me next gen. I still hope it's all just rumor or misinterpretation though.

With several developers having reported, separately, that they've received written information from Microsoft that the new Xbox will require being online at all times, it's probably correct. The real question right now would probably be whether or not Microsoft will change this before their presentation, based on the negative backlash.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 08, 2013, 04:21:59 PM

I think some stores in the UK are taking them, but in the US you can't unless you're a die hard Auburn fan.

Funny when i posted,i actually thought it was Gamestop that i heard this story(a US retailer),but yeah it's Shopto(UK)
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1846582/ps4_preorders_seeing_unprecedented_demand_retailer.html

ShopTo spokesman James Rowson said: “It’s unprecedented demand.

"It’s been the most successful console pre-order to date in our seven year history.

“It resonates with our customer base because we’re very much a hardcore gamers’ destination, so the launch of a new PlayStation or Xbox console was always going to be pretty strong for us.

“But it has been unprecedented in terms of numbers.

“On the actual reveal night our site traffic even at one in the morning was treble its usual traffic.

Oh,.okay there IS a Gamestop in UK....never knew that
You can order your PS4 from:

ShopTo.net (no desposit)
Game (only with £20 deposit)
GameStop UK (only with £20 deposit)
Zavvi (no deposit)

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2013, 01:05:49 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 08, 2013, 10:51:26 AM

This actually fits pretty nicely with Michael Pachter's predictions. If he keeps being right,

No one has EVER said this about Michael Pachter before.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:27 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 09, 2013, 01:05:49 AM

Quote from: TiLT on April 08, 2013, 10:51:26 AM

This actually fits pretty nicely with Michael Pachter's predictions. If he keeps being right,

No one has EVER said this about Michael Pachter before.

Throw enough darts at the board and eventually you'll get some.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2013, 02:05:12 AM »

So, no news then, right? More rumours and speculation? The term "always on" applies to a lot of things.

My TV, for instance, is always on (otherwise, how do you expect the remote to "power on" a TV with no electricity?

I'm not sure what reported PS4 pre-orders have to do with the success of competing with an unannounced product. I mean, from the PS3 pre-order supply, it's likely a shwackload of people preordering to sell them and turn a profit. No surprise there.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2013, 03:25:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 08, 2013, 04:21:59 PM

See?  They cheat at everything!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2013, 06:37:06 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 09, 2013, 02:05:12 AM

So, no news then, right? More rumours and speculation? The term "always on" applies to a lot of things.

My TV, for instance, is always on (otherwise, how do you expect the remote to "power on" a TV with no electricity?

Unless you've been deliberately avoiding information about this issue, you'll know that "always on" is essentially just what the media says to sum up the issue for headlines. The rumors are very specific about this being a requirement for the console to be always connected to Microsoft's servers to work, and that a disconnection longer then 3 minutes will freeze the system and bring up a connection helper.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »

Another report,this time from Bloomberg that says it wont be Backwards compatible
CVG

Citing 'people with knowledge of the matter', Bloomberg says that the console's shift away from the Power PC architecture of the Xbox 360 to the new x86 platform will render the console incompatible with Xbox 360 software.

As has been previously suggested, Bloomberg reports that the new Xbox will be powered by processors from AMD - who will also provide innards for Sony's PlayStation 4 - with a powerful 'system-on-a-chip' solution that combines the CPU and GPU on a single chip codenamed 'Jaguar'.

Bloomberg also backs up reports from earlier today that Microsoft had planned to unveil the console in April but has pushed back its plans to a possible May event.

The report suggests that an E3 reveal is also under consideration.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 09, 2013, 06:37:06 AM

Quote from: Purge on April 09, 2013, 02:05:12 AM

Unless you've been deliberately avoiding information about this issue, you'll know that "always on" is essentially just what the media says to sum up the issue for headlines. The rumors are very specific about this being a requirement for the console to be always connected to Microsoft's servers to work, and that a disconnection longer then 3 minutes will freeze the system and bring up a connection helper.

I've deliberately avoided looking into rumours - they are just that.

They'll announce what they'll announce. IF always-on means always online, I'm not sure that's a dealbreaker for me. If the people I regularly game with see it as such, that might sway me. Also, if there is no "elected offline" mode so I can take the console to the cabin (etc) where Internet isn't always available, these would be things to consider.

The problem is "always on" on a dev kit, or always on - as a target state for my console are two different things. MS may be testing the waters, so if someone wants to go hoarse screaming about having an always-on connection, go right ahead.

BC was deal-breaker too, back in the day. Kinect is apparently also an unwanted thing.

I dunno though - if Kinect is full-on accurate, and comes with illumiroom, I'll be all over that like white on rice.

When the pending announcement is over with, I will decide if it's what I want. Frankly, the PS4 hasn't impressed me enough - I may just switch over to PC gaming if the new consoles don't offer anything worthwhile. I have this "must-have" requirement where there are games, and peripherals, that compel me to want to buy it.

If it means I stick with my 360 as a zombie-killing machine and occasional XBLA title platform, so be it. I'm not invested in this, both financially or emotionally.

Also, lines like this: "essentially just what the media says to sum up the issue for headlines" - they can say what they want - the rumours are getting *them* business. There is no counterpoint to the value proposition - IE why would MS do this? What benefits does it offer? You really think MS is just going to try and sink their own ship on a feature/function that has no market potential?

Seems to me like arguing that is a big waste of time. Wake up this thread when there's something noteworthy to post.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

With the way the press conference seems to keep getting pushed back, I'm starting to think Microsoft is doing some serious backpedaling to change some of these things before they go public. Waiting this long to announce anything at all while letting rumors grow and spread about what may or may not be false information in the end, shows to me that there's probably some hold in what we're hearing and that Microsoft is now analyzing their strategy very thoroughly.

Quote from: Purge on April 09, 2013, 04:35:06 PM

Fair enough, but you're dismissing the fact that these rumors are popping up from an awful lot of different sources recently, and none of them have differed even slightly in the details they've described (though some have said more than others, none have contradicted each other). You also need to consider that the vast majority of the rumors about the PS4 turned out to be true, or weren't addressed at all (which means they might still be true until we hear more about the areas of the console they were about).

Dismissing rumors is quite okay. Not listening to them even in the slightest is naive. Not saying you're wrong, just that so far it's not looking good.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 09, 2013, 05:02:29 PM

With the way the press conference seems to keep getting pushed back, I'm starting to think Microsoft is doing some serious backpedaling to change some of these things before they go public. Waiting this long to announce anything at all while letting rumors grow and spread about what may or may not be false information in the end, shows to me that there's probably some hold in what we're hearing and that Microsoft is now analyzing their strategy very thoroughly.

Quote from: Purge on April 09, 2013, 04:35:06 PM

Fair enough, but you're dismissing the fact that these rumors are popping up from an awful lot of different sources recently, and none of them have differed even slightly in the details they've described (though some have said more than others, none have contradicted each other). You also need to consider that the vast majority of the rumors about the PS4 turned out to be true, or weren't addressed at all (which means they might still be true until we hear more about the areas of the console they were about).

Dismissing rumors is quite okay. Not listening to them even in the slightest is naive. Not saying you're wrong, just that so far it's not looking good.

I have to agree with Tilt.  These rumors are now coming from some of the bigger news organization and I am sure MS has to be rethinking this always connected to the MS server functionality.  Shit happens and losing your internet connection is one of them and not being able to play a game due to no offline capability is a deal killer for alot of people

Pushing bacck this reveal is pretty telling in my opinion

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »

I get what you're saying, and it's not like I'd put it past any organization including MS to screw over offline users / used game markets - but my point is while the developers are reporting (anonymously) what they've been told, it's what they've been told - and they don't have all the info on the new product line either.

Consider the build and development of an OS - you operate above the application layer - the lower layers are generally unimportant to layfolk, as the functions from below are presented upwards. As a developer, you have interest in what you have to work with and may develop in the top several layers, you're not going to be dabbling in the OS proper. When MS tells them "always on" it means that it's your target state. How the dev kits handle a possible "feature" of offline mode is unimportant in the development in the app, esp. considering the product final specs may not even be decided yet.

I know that jump is a long one, but at this point there is not one shred of concrete evidence telling us what the hardware will ACTUALLY do. We know how dev kits may react - this is by no means a complete feature set.

Same as the zebra stripe controllers, MS seems to be constricting the information leak, and since MS's stance has always been that they don't comment on rumor and speculation, I think that delaying the announcement is more a brave front than an indictment of their upcoming plans.

They totally could be pulling a Sony, and trying to  uniformly piss off every single gamer out there with a product launch that aims to shoot itself in the foot over and over (PS3, mind you) - the market will decide whether that is truly the case - but without a bullet list of features and foibles, it's all speculation and neither console has yet earned my hard-earned gaming dollar.

Getting all up in arms means people are already invested in the product that isn't out yet - and that seems all kinds of "cart-before-horse" to me.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:39:02 PM by Purge » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 09, 2013, 07:33:35 PM

Getting all up in arms means people are already invested in the product that isn't out yet - and that seems all kinds of "cart-before-horse" to me.

If there's one time when people should be getting up in arms about this stuff, it's right now. By protesting loudly and often, Microsoft will pay attention, and if the rumors are true they might even reconsider their plans. I think that's what most people hope will happen. It's easier before Microsoft has committed in public to any features. Being silent and not voicing your opinion, even if you're merely commenting on a rumor, makes you powerless against the corporation. You may say that you can vote with your dollars after the fact, but the truth is that this doesn't send a strong signal to companies in most cases. If you don't pay and remain silent, they won't know that you could have paid to begin with. If you complain however, particularly in public, you're suddenly very visible and potentially very harmful to the corporation in question. This makes them pay attention to you.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »

I don't know how much backpedaling they could do on the stuff people have complained about(assuming its true). If the system has been designed to operate only with a network/Internet connection you can't just change that in a month or so. That's a fundamental part of how the hardware/OS in the console will work. That ship has sailed from a system design standpoint.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 09, 2013, 05:02:29 PM

Fair enough, but you're dismissing the fact that these rumors are popping up from an awful lot of different sources recently, and none of them have differed even slightly in the details they've described (though some have said more than others, none have contradicted each other).

yeah as TiLT says when i posted the above from CVG,it was the fact that someone else had said it,i was not trying to go over old ground

Even with all these rumours,i will still be waiting for when they actually announce the damn thing and i hear it from them themselves to decide whether i will buy one

wont put me off
-Always Online
-No Backwards Compatible

will put me off
-High Price
-no used games

Quote from: Jumangi on April 09, 2013, 08:45:04 PM

I don't know how much backpedaling they could do on the stuff people have complained about(assuming its true). If the system has been designed to operate only with a network/Internet connection you can't just change that in a month or so. That's a fundamental part of how the hardware/OS in the console will work. That ship has sailed from a system design standpoint.

It could be all about damage control now,LOL

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »

If the system has been designed to operate only with a network/Internet connection you can't just change that in a month or so.
Unless you’re Simcity, in which case you just need to alter one line of code.  icon_biggrin

The rumors seem to imply that that it is just a programmed cutoff time.  If that is the case it would be possible to remove it or at the very least extend it.  The only reason I can think that that wouldn’t be the case is if MS did something where part of the game or OS is actually streamed to the user.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2013, 03:59:45 AM »

I religiously use Steam, so the "always on" feature wont bother me....unless it is as sh!tty as Uplay.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2013, 05:15:48 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 10, 2013, 03:59:45 AM

I religiously use Steam, so the "always on" feature wont bother me....unless it is as sh!tty as Uplay.

The thing is, Steam doesn't force you to be always on. You can use it in offline mode if you want. The rumors about the Xbox say that there will be no such thing there.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »

"Always On" or Always Connected is a deal breaker for me.  Sure internet is reliable, but it's still not as reliable as say the power in my house.  It will randomly drop once or twice a month.  plus this also means we would be dependent on a connection back to MS servers, and I would be shocked if they have not learned a lesson from the mistakes of Diablo III and SimCity.  If these rumors turn out to be true, then Sony will surely win this generation.  MS may have missed the boat on just how important this is to there consumer.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 10, 2013, 03:59:45 AM

Always on of the new xbox according to rumor is the same as the uplay back when they'll kick you out of your game if you lost connection to the server.

Steam's version is to verify when you start a game when in online mode and unless you're playing multiplayer game, it'll not bother you until you quit your game when it'll fail to sync to the cloud if you use cloud save. Steam version also allow you to switch to offline mode which doesn't require internet connection as long as you have played the game once in online mode.

Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on April 10, 2013, 06:24:52 AM

"Always On" or Always Connected is a deal breaker for me.  Sure internet is reliable, but it's still not as reliable as say the power in my house.  It will randomly drop once or twice a month.  plus this also means we would be dependent on a connection back to MS servers, and I would be shocked if they have not learned a lesson from the mistakes of Diablo III and SimCity.  If these rumors turn out to be true, then Sony will surely win this generation.  MS may have missed the boat on just how important this is to there consumer.

Same hre for me.  Since I now have data caps on my internet plan.  'Always On' is a deal breaker.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

That depends. They may have designed it to be easily changed based on focus testing, in which case backpedaling is simple enough. If they haven't done this with such a controversial feature, then they are truly incompetent.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »

See, and this is where I think it's a DEV kit VS. Final Product thing. MS caches credentials in *all* of their products. Hell, 360 cloud saves cache and sync (as long as you're signed in to the gold account and using it).

With dev kits showing up on ebay etc. (and I've stated this before), the always on function is a target state, and (using the OSI model to explain) the applications should be designed to assume the transport layer and below should be available. How the systems actually handle it is a question of economics, and I don't see all this assumption as a compelling reason to get worked up.

See, more than 20% of North American homes don't have Internet access, and of the 80% that do, not all of them are on broadband / reliable. This is their strongest market. And perception of your product as compared to competition is key. Right now there are no products, and they're no where near release yet.

Giving up (at best) 20% of your market a pretty big advantage they'd be handing over to Sony - there is no reason to want your dev kits to be available "offline", and since the development of applications only goes down to the session layer (which makes sense) they'd want a powered-on dev kit to be constantly online. Perhaps they have on/offline dev kits queued up for the announcement, or they *are* considering possibly doing the worst thing possible - but if Sony could back off from the Batarang, I can't see that this would be any less able to change.

Our sources are all the same - "unnamed" and "close to the product". None from MS. Right now everyone is talking about it. They're getting press without doing anything.

What's going to happen if they announce the worst? The market is prepared. If there is an offline mode? Backpedaling or original design, they lose nothing. But now you've been following the product closely. Hrm. Seems like a much more direct form of the viral Halo2 marketing.  As long as they aren't pressed to announce it, I don't think they honestly need to worry. We've all given them enough info to steer this in the direction the market wants. : shrug : That's where all this gnashing of teeth is a waste of energy.

I keep checking this thread looking for something concrete. I probably won't stop. Tongue

If my game drops when my Internet does (and it's not an online game retard) I'd probably not sign up for it. Considering sometimes I bring my console to the lake (for those dreary/rainy days, or in the winter), I would not want to be at the whim of rural internet connectivity.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:59:06 PM by Purge » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

Purge, you should actually read the rumors before wasting your time on writing down such pointless speculation. The information isn't based on developers noticing that the dev units are always on. It comes from written information from Microsoft that the final product will be always on, given to these developers so they can prepare their games for this "feature", in the same way that developers had to learn to deal with menus, timed demos, controller switching, and so on when they learned to code for the 360.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »

I didn't have a problem with always on until i heard about simcity. That got me thinking about diablo 3 which was PITA. 

There's really no benefit to the consumer at all. I hope this functionality, if it really is in the nextbox, is taken back off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: