http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 06:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 83070 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: July 17, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »

Microsoft to shutter Xbox Entertainment Studios

Following the 18,000 layoffs Microsoft announced this morning, the tech giant has also confirmed reports that it will be closing its Xbox Entertainment Studios division within the next few months.

Though the closure of Xbox Entertainment Studios will drastically reduce Microsoft's plans for original Xbox programming, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios Phil Spencer claims that a few key projects will live on. "Xbox will continue to support and deliver interactive sports content like 'NFL on Xbox,' and we will continue to enhance our entertainment offering on console by innovating the TV experience through the monthly console updates," Spencer wrote in a statement to Recode.

According to Variety, it also appears likely that the Ridley Scott-produced Halo prequel Halo: Nightfall will survive the death of Xbox Entertainment Studios, both because it's quite a ways into development already and because Microsoft is currently in negotiations with Showtime to broadcast the series on premium cable alongside its Xbox debut.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3441 on: July 17, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »

I guess that doesn't disappoint me too much.  Other than always wanting more competition for things like Netflix and cable to drive better shows everywhere.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: July 17, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »

This bit from Phil Spencer's memo though might be a little concerning

Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for a mobile-first and cloud-first world, and games are the single biggest digital life category in a mobile-first world.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: August 19, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »

ReddX Reddit app now available on the XB1 with some nice voice control features.   Not a huge Reddiit user, but I might actually download the app to try it out

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: August 21, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

Looks like a new feature was added into the current preview build for XB1.  Gold member can demo certain games for 24 hours

DLNA support off the USB stick was added as well

NiM$
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: August 21, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »

I'm happy to see DLNA support.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: September 04, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »

This is a sign you're getting your butt kicked Buy a Xbox One and get a game free Game value has to be 59.99 or less and disc based.  This includes bundles.  US only and select retailers from 9/7 - 9/13
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:00:44 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: September 04, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 04, 2014, 01:36:38 PM

This is a sign you're getting your butt kicked Buy and Xbox One and get a game free Game value has to be 59.99 or less and disc based.  This includes bundles.  US only and select retailers from 9/7 - 9/13

Another sign is the fact that they still haven't released actual sales figures. When Sony does it any chance they get.

I would also like to see sales figures by country. Assuming that the Bone has sold 6 millions consoles, how many of those are in the US? Is this a case where the console will do well in the US because of brand loyalty but fail miserably in all other significant markets?

Either way 6 million consoles in less than a year is nothing to laugh at and even if the Bone "loses" this generation it will still be a major player.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:44:14 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: September 04, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »

I'll be getting the Madden bundle + Destiny for the freebie.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: September 04, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »

I think these incentives are smart. If I hadn't pre-ordered the Xbox One Sunset Overdrive bundle coming in October I would have probably jumped on this and a copy of Diablo.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: September 04, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on September 04, 2014, 01:59:32 PM

Either way 6 million consoles in less than a year is nothing to laugh at and even if the Bone "loses" this generation it will still be a major player.

IIRC, they're way ahead of where the 360 was at the same time in its release.  It's just that the PS4 is ahead of where both were...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: September 04, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »

Msft looks like an awfully temping short, with Windows 8, Windows Phone, the surface and the Xbone. 

Just saying, don't wish it for those that have the Xbone, but I'd imagine things in Seattle aren't all that pleasant.

Wake up.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: September 05, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »

What would happen if a console release was held and nobody came?

Japan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3453 on: September 09, 2014, 12:38:05 PM »

Media Player DLNA and MKV support Members of the preview program who have also downloaded the latest version of the Media Player app will now have support for DLNA streaming. With this update, you will be able to easily access and play music, watch photo slideshows or movies stored on home media servers and devices that support the DLNA server protocols. Additionally, you will now be able to playback MKV files stored on a USB device or a device on your home network that supports DLNA streaming.

Win.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: September 09, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 09, 2014, 12:38:05 PM

Media Player DLNA and MKV support Members of the preview program who have also downloaded the latest version of the Media Player app will now have support for DLNA streaming. With this update, you will be able to easily access and play music, watch photo slideshows or movies stored on home media servers and devices that support the DLNA server protocols. Additionally, you will now be able to playback MKV files stored on a USB device or a device on your home network that supports DLNA streaming.

Win.

Sweet now the PS4 needs to jump on board.

Side note: Welcome back Purge long time no see. Also, thank you for updating your picture, the old one made you look like a serial killer.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3455 on: September 09, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »

woohoo, Purge is back.  Long time no see.  What have you been up to these last 9 months?  (cripes, it was a long time)

I'm still amazed that either console launched without DLNA support.  I'm not big on using it these days, but I would use it now. 

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: September 09, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »

me thinks that the 'lack of support' was due to both companies trying to push their own cloud based streaming services or some such BS.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3457 on: September 09, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »

I never left. I was waiting for there to be something worth saying.

I am constantly disappointed that gaming has devolved to a VHS/Betamax argument.

I own one, not the other (and at this point I have more important things to spend money on). I have very little gaming time, and have taken a break from writing as I simply can't commit the time. My time to game likely won't change a ton though a cold autumn might persuade me to play a little more.

I intend to distill anything I have to say into, short, concise blurbs. We'll see how that goes. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »

Welcome back Purge.  Glad to see you again.  smile

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: September 10, 2014, 12:38:49 AM »

Yay Purge!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: September 10, 2014, 02:03:39 AM »

Wow, it's Purge!  thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3461 on: September 10, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

Thanks guys. smile 

(See? Distilled.) slywink

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: September 16, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »

Has anyone had a good/bad experience working with MS for a faulty disc drive?  Mine still mostly works but more often than not it now fails at identifying a blu-ray disc on the first try or two.

I want to get it fixed since it's the primary movie-machine for the kiddos, but I also don't want to lose access to Destiny for weeks and weeks right now if the turnaround time is terrible.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: September 19, 2014, 03:03:38 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 16, 2014, 03:58:45 PM

Has anyone had a good/bad experience working with MS for a faulty disc drive?  Mine still mostly works but more often than not it now fails at identifying a blu-ray disc on the first try or two.

I want to get it fixed since it's the primary movie-machine for the kiddos, but I also don't want to lose access to Destiny for weeks and weeks right now if the turnaround time is terrible.
They replaced mine no questions asked. Shipped it out with packaging to return mine. I returned mine and all my saves were still there since they were in the cloud. Obviously would have been nice to never have the issue but they replaced it without even a hiccup. It was painless as could be, I was without an xbox for all of five minutes.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: October 06, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »

I may have mentioned this before since I've suspected it was the problem for awhile, but it was confirmed for me today so here it is again.  If you have 'Instant On' selected, the XB1 will often end up with a moderate or strict NAT due to how it resumes.  If you play multiplayer games at all, I strongly suggest switching to 'Energy Saving' which means it takes longer to turn on and no longer resumes, but it fully refreshes the network connection on turn on.  Hopefully MS fixes this soon since it's been a semi-known issue since launch.

If you like to micromanage, you can also leave instant on on and reset your router/modem each time you resume, but that's more work than waiting a few more seconds on launch.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: October 06, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 06, 2014, 12:23:19 PM

I may have mentioned this before since I've suspected it was the problem for awhile, but it was confirmed for me today so here it is again.  If you have 'Instant On' selected, the XB1 will often end up with a moderate or strict NAT due to how it resumes.  If you play multiplayer games at all, I strongly suggest switching to 'Energy Saving' which means it takes longer to turn on and no longer resumes, but it fully refreshes the network connection on turn on.  Hopefully MS fixes this soon since it's been a semi-known issue since launch.

This is HUGELY helpful, Hark. Thanks. I was wondering why my NAT had suddenly jumped to Moderate.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 06, 2014, 12:23:19 PM

If you like to micromanage, you can also leave instant on on and reset your router/modem each time you resume, but that's more work than waiting a few more seconds on launch.

I timed mine once.  Was ~8 secs to resume from instant on, and over a minute from energy saving mode.

quite a difference, was hoping to leave it off as the fans in the power supply annoy me in quiet room
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »

since every time I resume in instant on my NAT is borked, it's not even really an option for me.  Combine that with the numerous bugs games have with resuming anyway and it's better for me just to turn it all the way off every time.  (Destiny for example sometimes has no sound when resuming)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3468 on: October 06, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 06, 2014, 06:30:32 PM

since every time I resume in instant on my NAT is borked, it's not even really an option for me.  Combine that with the numerous bugs games have with resuming anyway and it's better for me just to turn it all the way off every time.  (Destiny for example sometimes has no sound when resuming)

Disney Infinity 2.0 loses the base (though you can keep playing and the savegame seems fine).

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: October 07, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »

I'll deal with it until it's fixed. I think everything should be done in moderation anyway.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3470 on: October 07, 2014, 02:04:07 AM »

Thanks, XB1 owners - Assassin's Creed Unity is being nerfed down to your level because of bags of money (and/or corporate stupidity):
http://kotaku.com/ac-unity-will-have-same-specs-on-xbox-one-and-ps4-to-av-1643054770

It started with a quote from Ubisoft Montreal producer Vincent Pontbriand, speaking to the website Video Gamer about their decision to keep Unity maintaining 900p resolution and 30 frames per second on both the Xbox One and PS4.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," Pontbriand reportedly said, no doubt referring to a string of extended conversations that have sprung up in the past year over the technical differences between Sony and Microsoft's current-gen consoles.

No doubt this also means that like Watch Dogs, the PC version will be shit and/or heavily modified. Hopefully a few ini tweaks (and other things) can restore the game to looking like it should on the PC version.

(I'm joking about blaming XB1 owners - but I still think it's a terrible idea.)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: October 07, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 07, 2014, 02:04:07 AM

Thanks, XB1 owners - Assassin's Creed Unity is being nerfed down to your level because of bags of money (and/or corporate stupidity):
http://kotaku.com/ac-unity-will-have-same-specs-on-xbox-one-and-ps4-to-av-1643054770

It started with a quote from Ubisoft Montreal producer Vincent Pontbriand, speaking to the website Video Gamer about their decision to keep Unity maintaining 900p resolution and 30 frames per second on both the Xbox One and PS4.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," Pontbriand reportedly said, no doubt referring to a string of extended conversations that have sprung up in the past year over the technical differences between Sony and Microsoft's current-gen consoles.

No doubt this also means that like Watch Dogs, the PC version will be shit and/or heavily modified. Hopefully a few ini tweaks (and other things) can restore the game to looking like it should on the PC version.

(I'm joking about blaming XB1 owners - but I still think it's a terrible idea.)

They're now backpedaling a little.

"Final specs for Assassin's Creed Unity aren't cemented yet," a Ubisoft spokesperson explained, "but we can say we showed Assassin's Creed Unity at 900p during our hands-on preview event last week. We're confident that gamers will be thrilled with the gorgeous graphics and how Paris is brought to life in Assassin's Creed Unity.

"The development team has been hard at work delivering the best Assassin's Creed possible on next generation consoles. Regardless of which platform you're playing on, Assassin's Creed Unity will answer what an Assassin's Creed game built from the ground up for the next generation of gaming looks like and will be the best looking Assassin's Creed game ever developed."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: October 07, 2014, 12:16:55 PM »

I seriously doubt that whatever the reason was for the change that it was for the sake of quelling the fan boy wars. More likely it was because they got an earful from MS for having a lower resolution version for the Xbox for the previous game. The resolution difference may not make a difference in what people see but I'm sure it makes a difference in people's buying decisions. And MS can't be happy about that. Of course, that could just be the conspiracy theorist in me.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: October 07, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 07, 2014, 12:16:55 PM

I seriously doubt that whatever the reason was for the change that it was for the sake of quelling the fan boy wars. More likely it was because they got an earful from MS for having a lower resolution version for the Xbox for the previous game. The resolution difference may not make a difference in what people see but I'm sure it makes a difference in people's buying decisions. And MS can't be happy about that. Of course, that could just be the conspiracy theorist in me.

If that were the case every third party developer would be getting an ear full from MS.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:21:06 PM by Scraper » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3474 on: October 07, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 07, 2014, 12:38:42 PM

Quote from: Canuck on October 07, 2014, 12:16:55 PM

If that were the case very third party developer would be getting an ear full from MS.

They sort of are. Microsoft has been very hands-on lately with games where the Xbox One version has a lower resolution than the PS4. The message they've been sending has been "the Xbox One can do better than you think, let us show you how," and then sending engineers to help optimize third-party games. It's not unreasonable to assume that Ubisoft couldn't, or didn't want to, optimize the Xbox One version (or scale back graphical features) in order to bring it up to 1080p, for economical reasons. Optimization isn't free, and the benefit to sales from spending the time to do it right is perhaps arguable. Instead of pissing off Microsoft as a result of this, they might have decided to just scale back the PS4 version to make everyone happy.

Of course, that made nobody happy at all.

The whole thing is ridiculous, and it got way worse than it could have been due to the insulting statements from Ubisoft about it. Forced parity is the worst possible outcome from different specs, from a consumer perspective. I simply can't stand companies throwing their customers under the bus for no reason except to please shareholders or business partners, when there's no real cost involved in not throwing said customers under said bus.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: October 07, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »

As I said on another forum, I can't believe they said that.

What  dumb statement, just release them both at 900p and not comment on it, but to come out and say it's the same to avoid debates, well hey, have debates.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3476 on: October 07, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 07, 2014, 02:04:30 PM

As I said on another forum, I can't believe they said that.

What  dumb statement, just release them both at 900p and not comment on it, but to come out and say it's the same to avoid debates, well hey, have debates.
Precisely.  Now all that will get talked about in terms of graphics is how much better it would have looked were it not for the forced parity.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: October 07, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »

Who cares about the resolution? You can't even tell the difference between 900 and 1080. When the PS4 version of Black Flag got patched with the higher resolution I could not discern the increase, and I'm a certified graphics whore. It's the framerate that bums me out as I was hoping for 60fps.

A comment from someone on the Ubi team has made me worried about these consoles, he basically said that AI is processed by the CPU and that the PS4/Xbox are not powerful enough to handle the game above 30FPS (steadily) because of it. Granted, AC games tend to have more AI characters on screen at once than most games, but it's still disheartening. I'm hoping the limitation is overcome as time goes on or at least only applies to open-world games of this magnitude.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: October 07, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 07, 2014, 04:07:17 PM

Who cares about the resolution? You can't even tell the difference between 900 and 1080. When the PS4 version of Black Flag got patched with the higher resolution I could not discern the increase, and I'm a certified graphics whore. It's the framerate that bums me out as I was hoping for 60fps.

A comment from someone on the Ubi team has made me worried about these consoles, he basically said that AI is processed by the CPU and that the PS4/Xbox are not powerful enough to handle the game above 30FPS (steadily) because of it. Granted, AC games tend to have more AI characters on screen at once than most games, but it's still disheartening. I'm hoping the limitation is overcome as time goes on or at least only applies to open-world games of this magnitude.

I absolutely could tell the difference pre/post patch.

The actual resolutions aren't the real story though, it's a developer saying they are intentionally not taking full advantage of hardware to keep both versions at parity.  That's nonsense.  Can you imagine if the PC version was limited to 900P/30FPS to exactly match the console versions?  Do you think THAT would go over well, with a "you can't tell the difference" ?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3479 on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:08 PM »

You mean PC gaming hasn't been hampered by consolitis?

I'm pretty sure there are all kinds of compromises taken to ensure their product is as marketable as possible, esp. with cross-console games.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: