http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 06:39:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 66607 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: December 05, 2013, 02:10:50 AM »

yep, is nice.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: December 05, 2013, 03:55:43 AM »

had a brief scare tonight.  None of my games would launch-  the splash screen would come up and then it would go right back to the home screen.  A reboot of the system fixed it, maybe the OS does not like not being rebooted after a while?  I think I might start treating it like my PC- if I know I won't be using it for an extended version I'll just turn it off.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: December 05, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

Yeah, it's still got some quirks (kind of like a Windows PC - go figure)  icon_biggrin I've run into an occasional issue where clicking on an app with A just does nothing. Never launches, almost as if it's just refusing to use controller input. But I can get in via voice fine. Reboot fixes it.

It's not rampant or anything - I've run into it maybe 3 times since I've had the system, and it seems to occur if I've been doing a lot of quick switching between apps.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: December 05, 2013, 03:47:57 PM »

I turned off suspend mode on mine awhile back when resuming was causing strict nat. 

I do think it's fairly obvious that some stuff just wasn't quite ready for release, but I'm having a blast
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2764 on: December 05, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »

They need more of this:

http://gamingtrend.com/video-post/get-ahead-xbox-ones-learning-curve/

And they need it right in the system too. While getting ready for work this morning, Hark and I discovered that double-tapping the X logo will toggle focus between app and snapped app.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2765 on: December 05, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 05, 2013, 08:36:57 PM

They need more of this:

And they need it right in the system too. While getting ready for work this morning, Hark and I discovered that double-tapping the X logo will toggle focus between app and snapped app.

As I said in the comments of that post: If you have to go to great lengths to educate people how to use your interface, you have failed your users. PERIOD.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: December 05, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 05, 2013, 03:47:57 PM

I turned off suspend mode on mine awhile back when resuming was causing strict nat. 

I'll have to check mine next time I resume a game.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2767 on: December 05, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »

Well, I got sick of waiting for my replacement system to be sent out so I just bought a "temporary" one when I was in Target earlier today since they had one on the shelf. 

On the one hand I feel sort of bad buying something that I will knowingly return in a few weeks, when they finally send my replacement, but on the other hand I say screw Microsoft, I want to play my games!  I've been home from work for the last week recovering from surgery and had no console to play, I figured I'd make the most of the few days I have left this week to try them out. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: December 05, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »

While getting ready for work this morning, Hark and I discovered that double-tapping the X logo will toggle focus between app and snapped app.

I knew that one but only because it was annoying the SHIT out of me so I had to go Google it. I guess they figured Xbox One purchasers were going to be more intelligent and wouldn't have much trouble figuring it out eventually.  icon_twisted
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:09 PM »

They need more of this:

Oh thank you!  I was hitting X, manually switching, and hitting A.  Nice to know you can just double tap and it will automatically switch over.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2770 on: December 06, 2013, 01:04:43 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on December 05, 2013, 08:46:29 PM

They need more of this:

As I said in the comments of that post: If you have to go to great lengths to educate people how to use your interface, you have failed your users. PERIOD.

Flexibility doesn't always equal simple.

The simple tasks are there, and they are accessible without even a button push.

My point is that the first thing this box should do when it fires up is have simple lessons on moving around and how shit works. Perhaps a "I'm new to Xbox" vs "I had a 360. How do things work different?" as the first two options.

That alone clears up a whole bunch of UI issues (for the more hardcore gamers who are going to want to have shortcuts other than -1-put game in -2-play game -3-switch to watch TV).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: December 06, 2013, 01:08:34 AM »

sure, you were double tapping the x-logo unibrow

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: December 06, 2013, 02:15:19 AM »

Got the replacement console and everything is going great so far... kinda cool all my Pins and OneGuide Settings transferred over to the new box.  Gave saves and everything else synced by the cloud

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2773 on: December 06, 2013, 02:59:35 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 06, 2013, 01:04:43 AM

Quote from: th'FOOL on December 05, 2013, 08:46:29 PM

They need more of this:

Flexibility doesn't always equal simple.

The simple tasks are there, and they are accessible without even a button push.

My point is that the first thing this box should do when it fires up is have simple lessons on moving around and how shit works. Perhaps a "I'm new to Xbox" vs "I had a 360. How do things work different?" as the first two options.

That alone clears up a whole bunch of UI issues (for the more hardcore gamers who are going to want to have shortcuts other than -1-put game in -2-play game -3-switch to watch TV).

No, see you're missing a key word: intuitive. If the UI designed doesn't bubble up key functionality that differentiates your product from everything else, it doesn't matter if it's there or not or how many videos or tutorials you post- that functionality will not get used by the majority of your users. Microsoft's UI design across the board has been more misses than hits, and they have demonstrated a definite lack of user-centric design over the years. Metro was the one admirable design they made- when it was for phones and touch screens. This madness of trying to shoehorn it in to every product they make now is a textbook example of what not to do.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2774 on: December 06, 2013, 03:40:55 AM »

See, and that's where I disagree. Key functionality does bubble up.

Quote from: Harkonis on December 05, 2013, 03:44:13 PM

I might fire up the 360 and slum with you  ninja

I miss being able to record awesome things though

This right here? Super intuitive, and it's not a button push. It takes literally no thought and almost no effort to record cool moments - and once you have it, it's kinda awesome. I love that when I walk into my gaming space I say Xbox On and it does stuff for me while I do other things. My system knows what controller I'm holding, and when I hand it over to my son, it just switches to him with no complaints. If he's ever in view of Kinect, anything rated higher than E10+ (a setting I selected) is no longer shown (movies, explicit images etc), and trying to start a game that breaches that (even under my profile while his is loaded) prompts me to approve this.

This is all configurable, and that part of it works really well. I was so annoyed that the 360 did this so poorly and either it would ALWAYS force you to put in passwords, or never and show explicit materials not suitable for kids.

There is a lot right in the way they're doing things - but as was said before, they also have a ways to go. The tiles work really well - but right now there is no resizing your pins (for instance). They could simply add a smartglass customization function to organize (and take advantage of touch technology) with little-to-no-effort - but that's worrying about the heated side mirrors when they're just making sure the wheels are on their car.

Here's a busted thing: if you go into a game and there is a store section (DLC, lets say) and then you use your store icon from your pins? It takes you right there, and since there is no path traversal you're stuck there looking at maybe what you didn't want to be seeing. Instead, if you load the main page (Xbox, go home or Xbox, show my stuff or Xbox) and go over to the Games store, and it starts you off at the root.

This? This is a bug. There are bugs. But intuitive? "Xbox, back" takes you to the last program you're in. My comment on a button functionality is comparable to the MS key shortcuts I've learned over the years. Winkey+pause/break brings up system properties for instance, or CTRL+5 (not F5) in excel will "strikeout" text. I'm looking for stuff that interests me, personally, as a power user. For the average person though?

"Xbox, ..." will bring up "Xbox, Select" from there, any green words you see you can say and it will react appropriately. It's pretty straightforward. I think it's the number of bugs that makes for a certain inconsistency, and that is the biproduct of racing to market before Christmas. Furthermore, and much like Windows, there is more than one way to get pretty much anywhere in the system. Be it voice, gestures or controller. That part of it is where I feel like tutorials can bridge that - because having two or three ways do something can be overwhelming.

Before I learned the double-x, I'd either say "xbox, go home" and move the focus, or hit the X and do the same thing. I could also say "Xbox, switch" or I could say "Xbox, unsnap". Hell, I could even spread my hands and when the side hand icons appeared I could mimic crushing the window to get to home, and then change focus.

That, to me, is flexibility. But in doing so, it's an overload. Some people didn't want Kinect required. Guess what? Now we have that compromise. Yay us.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: December 06, 2013, 03:41:08 AM »

Kinect, love it!

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2776 on: December 06, 2013, 04:14:26 AM »

http://sdrv.ms/1khkKdY

http://sdrv.ms/1bLt6LI

If you see choppiness, this was not the case in-game. I found just now while watching the videos that they seemed hesitant.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: December 06, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »

did my first 10 minute workout with Xbox fitness.  After drinking a bunch of beers.  yeah, bad idea.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: December 06, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »

so HMV have Xbox Ones for sale,however they will only do Bundles

Xbox One+Forza 5,Dead Rising 3 and Fifa whatever=600

Forza and DR3 are fine and would certainly be on my list at some point,but i don't want to be forced to buy a game i definitely don't want in FIFA

The woman told me that they are still cheaper than GAME(no shit)

so we do have Xbox Ones in the shops,but none are selling just the consoles,so its pretty annoying...as i would only just be able to afford the 430 if it was just the consoles

My local ASDA said they got some PS4s and Xb1s in last week(quickly gone though),Xb1s were Bundles while the PS4s were on their own,if they get another lot in it looks like i will be paying 350 for PS4,and have to get the Xb1 at a later date

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »

So if you have no intention of getting Gold or hooking up your cable box to it (I just want SP gaming), is the One a good system?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2780 on: December 06, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »

Yep.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 06, 2013, 08:42:59 AM

So if you have no intention of getting Gold or hooking up your cable box to it (I just want SP gaming), is the One a good system?

If this is your situation then I would say which exclusives do you want to play? Do you prefer Halo, Forza, Dead Rising, etc or do you like Killzone, Uncharted, Last of Us, Gran Torismo, etc? I guess Kinect could be either a pro or negative with you too. Is Kinect intriguing to you?

But yeah It's a good system but you won't be getting everything out of it that you could if you don't go Gold. For some reason Microsoft is insistent on preventing you from using Netflix, Hulu, etc without a Gold subscription.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:08:44 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: December 06, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 06, 2013, 07:35:39 AM

Forza and DR3 are fine and would certainly be on my list at some point,but i don't want to be forced to buy a game i definitely don't want in FIFA

isn't FIFA bundled in for free?

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: December 06, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 06, 2013, 12:20:04 PM

FIFA is amazing. One of the best games out there. I say that as not even a huge soccer fan.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »

Wasn't the Tournament mode cut from the next gen versions?

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: December 06, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 06, 2013, 12:20:04 PM

well 430,usually for the console...but this is 170 more with the games,games on their own are 50-55 on the shelf(that can fuck off as well if they think i am paying those prices for games)

so,at least not in this occasion FIFA is not free

EDIT: now you have me thinking,i may recall hearing that FIFA was free for the day one pre-order consoles

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2786 on: December 06, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »

FIFA isn't free, except to those preorders. IIRC it was MS's way of saying "Sorry for making you wait longer".

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »

Gotcha.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: December 06, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »

Teenager pays $735 for a picture of a Xbox One.

The 19-year-old student told the Nottingham Post that he'd saved up the money so that he could buy the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four year-old son (right). Instead, he got the picture. And it wasn't even a good picture! Just a crummy--.

Wait a minute? THe fuck?!  icon_razz
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »

read that story earlier today.. eBay is ordering the seller to refund the money by Monday

NiM$
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: December 06, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 06, 2013, 05:14:43 PM

Teenager pays $735 for a picture of a Xbox One.

The 19-year-old student told the Nottingham Post that he'd saved up the money so that he could buy the console as a surprise Christmas present for his four year-old son (right). Instead, he got the picture. And it wasn't even a good picture! Just a crummy--.

Wait a minute? THe fuck?!  icon_razz

There are two problems here: 1. The guy is 19 and has a 4 year old son 2: He is buying said 4 year old son an Xbone? Yeah right more like he is buying it for himself and using his son as the excuse to get it, what 4 year old is specifically asking for an Xbone for Christmas?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: December 06, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »

I have named my console Voldemort or in other words He who should not be named.  Chatting with Hark in Forza during a race and twice the Kinect paused me after thinking I was talking to it,  cost me valuable track placings. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 06, 2013, 12:06:39 PM

Quote from: Lee on December 06, 2013, 08:42:59 AM

If this is your situation then I would say which exclusives do you want to play? Do you prefer Halo, Forza, Dead Rising, etc or do you like Killzone, Uncharted, Last of Us, Gran Torismo, etc? I guess Kinect could be either a pro or negative with you too. Is Kinect intriguing to you?

But yeah It's a good system but you won't be getting everything out of it that you could if you don't go Gold. For some reason Microsoft is insistent on preventing you from using Netflix, Hulu, etc without a Gold subscription.

Thanks. I am still not sure there is any must have games for either system coming out in the near future that I care about. Trying to think long term on deciding on a new system or upgrading my PC. I guess I should just take a wait and see approach.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2793 on: December 07, 2013, 03:42:03 AM »

Oh mother#$%%ers... I finally received my replacement Xbox One today and guess what?  They only sent me the console hardware and nothing else, even though I was instructed (both on the phone and in the email) to return EVERYTHING.   icon_evil  And then they have the fucking gall to include a printed out form in with this hardware to say "You may have been instructed to return everything, in order to get back to gaming quickly please don't send back accessories, cables or other hardware.".  But I had to send in my console before they would send me the replacement!  WTF!   @#$(*&%

So I guess now I get to wait a couple hours to talk to somebody in support only to have them not know how to handle this issue.   Head meets wall

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: December 07, 2013, 03:55:06 AM »

that's pretty fucked up. 
My day one controller isn't 'right' and pinches my hand, my second controller is fine.  They want me to pay to send it in for replacement.  This is where I think companies customer service is lacking.  I bought directly from MS, I spend a lot directly with them.  They should just send me an f'n controller and then let me send them the broken one back on their dime.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: December 07, 2013, 04:55:26 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis
I bought directly from MS, I spend a lot directly with them.  They should just send me an f'n controller and then let me send them the broken one back on their dime.

That sucks. I reported my defective (non Day One) controller on Wednesday with Amazon and they had a new one on my doorstep this afternoon.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: December 07, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »

Do not attempt this As some people will believe anything, but the XB1 does not have backward compatibility yet

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: December 07, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 05, 2013, 10:35:09 PM

They need more of this:

Oh thank you!  I was hitting X, manually switching, and hitting A.  Nice to know you can just double tap and it will automatically switch over.

I just got mine setup last night and the introduction videos mention this at least twice.  ninja

Not having any experience with Windows 8 I am NOT a big fan of this interface, looks like it will take some time to get used to. Impressed with the voice command integration, though.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: December 07, 2013, 05:47:46 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 07, 2013, 04:55:26 AM

I bought directly from MS, I spend a lot directly with them.  They should just send me an f'n controller and then let me send them the broken one back on their dime.

That sucks. I reported my defective (non Day One) controller on Wednesday with Amazon and they had a new one on my doorstep this afternoon.

Reading this page of the thread is there anyone here who hasn't had a hardware issue with the Xbone yet? Whether it's the controller or the disc drive?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: December 07, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 07, 2013, 05:47:46 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on December 07, 2013, 04:55:26 AM

Reading this page of the thread is there anyone here who hasn't had a hardware issue with the Xbone yet? Whether it's the controller or the disc drive?

So far, so good for me.  No issues to report.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: