http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:07:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 63734 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 13, 2013, 08:31:07 AM »

$100 million to design the new controller?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »

I wish they had kept the old X,Y,A and B buttons like in that picture

when i am playing a game and i need to press a coloured button,a lot depends on me using the corner of my eye to press a button(I don't look down at the controller to decide when there is usually a time limit),thankfully i can probably go off memory..but if i was to use the corner of my eye for coloured button presses i am not sure the new buttons would cut it

But that may be the only thing i dislike about the new controller,everything else looks spot on
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:48:05 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: August 13, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »

yeah, old buttons nicer.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 13, 2013, 08:31:07 AM

I could have saved them $99,000,000 bucks.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1644 on: August 13, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »

My controller has all black buttons.  Wonder what MS would say about that?  Another 100 million dollar study?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: August 13, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 13, 2013, 01:34:12 PM

You would have charged them only a million?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »

so now MS is having their own 'short' showcase and Phil Spencer is delivering the keynote.  2 chances to announce a release date, and give the internet more fuel for nerd rage.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1647 on: August 13, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »

Having held it, it feels fantastic. The colors are fine IMO - it makes the letters readable, but the buttons feel tight and responsive, and the Dpad is miles better than the old one.

I watched the interview MajorNelson put out with the product manager (IIRC). The interesting thing is that when the controller is plugged in via USB, the commands travel through USB. The wireless bandwidth is also greatly increased, with a 20% response improvement.

The one thing I absolutely love about the new controller concept is the Kinect seeing who's holding the controller - so having a Killer Instinct tournament with a bunch of friends allows us to just pass the controller over with no mucking around.

And, you know, when the game is done, you can unplug the Kinect, and then put an empty Kleenex box over it to keep the NSA from seeing you crying cuz you lost.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: August 14, 2013, 12:25:05 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 13, 2013, 03:20:26 PM

Quote from: msduncan on August 13, 2013, 01:34:12 PM

You would have charged them only a million?

A huge bargain for them imho.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: August 14, 2013, 01:54:09 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 13, 2013, 08:34:16 PM

Having held it, it feels fantastic. The colors are fine IMO - it makes the letters readable, but the buttons feel tight and responsive, and the Dpad is miles better than the old one.

I watched the interview MajorNelson put out with the product manager (IIRC). The interesting thing is that when the controller is plugged in via USB, the commands travel through USB. The wireless bandwidth is also greatly increased, with a 20% response improvement.

The one thing I absolutely love about the new controller concept is the Kinect seeing who's holding the controller - so having a Killer Instinct tournament with a bunch of friends allows us to just pass the controller over with no mucking around.

And, you know, when the game is done, you can unplug the Kinect, and then put an empty Kleenex box over it to keep the NSA from seeing you crying cuz you lost.

Controller good, Kinect bad!  nod

On a side note does anyone know if Microsoft is going to reverse their stupid policy of only having first party wireless controllers? I always hated that they were the only option for wireless on the 360.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: August 14, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 14, 2013, 01:54:09 PM

On a side note does anyone know if Microsoft is going to reverse their stupid policy of only having first party wireless controllers? I always hated that they were the only option for wireless on the 360.

there are third party wireless controllers for the 360, but I think most of them are crap.

here's an example.  here's another.

honestly, outside of Logitech I don't think I'd buy a third party controller for any console unless it had a few hundred stellar reviews.  seems every time I look at one there are complaints of horrible dead zones for the thumbsticks or the button action being too 'soft'.  the only time I've had to replace a Wiimote or a 360 controller or a DS3 is due to impact damage, so I'm a first party man.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: August 14, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »

delayed until 2014 in 8 EU Markets

"Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available. To do that, and in order to meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.

"We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014.

"While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches. This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages, and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country.

"We understand this will be disappointing news for our fans in the impacted countries, and we are doing everything we can to bring Xbox One to you as soon as possible next year."

its okay though,we don't have anybody on here from any of those places,right?.....right? icon_wink

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 14, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 14, 2013, 06:27:44 PM

"Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available. To do that, and in order to meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.

"We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014.

"While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches. This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages, and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country.

"We understand this will be disappointing news for our fans in the impacted countries, and we are doing everything we can to bring Xbox One to you as soon as possible next year."

its okay though,we don't have anybody on here from any of those places,right?.....right? icon_wink

Well, no one who was going to buy it anyway I think.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1653 on: August 14, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 14, 2013, 06:47:12 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 14, 2013, 06:27:44 PM

Well, no one who was going to buy it anyway I think.

Yeah, I think that's the most important part. slywink

This pretty much confirms the previous reports (starting all the way back at the end of 2012) that Microsoft is having yield issues with the Xbox One. They probably decided that instead of spreading themselves thin and delivering very few consoles in important countries like the US while the PS4 outsells them simply on the virtue of being more available, they'll pull back from their weakest territories to strengthen their launch availability where they feel it matters.

This essentially means that Microsoft has given up on the 8 countries that were left out. In places like the Nordic countries, Microsoft has always played second fiddle to Sony. This is going to cement that position, even going so far as to further the distance between the two. There's just no way they'll be able to make a comeback in these territories, not unless they've got something seriously insanely good up their sleeves, which I consider next to impossible.

The biggest problem they are bound to be facing now is that all the people upgrading to next-gen consoles in half of Europe, as well as what is most likely the majority of those players in other half, will be playing multiplatform games on the PS4. American players with European friends will be forced to buy a PS4 or stay out of the next-gen loop for half a year or so if they want to play together. The "everyone is on Xbox Live" argument for purchasing games on the 360 this gen will be reversed for the coming gen, times ten.

Microsoft has dug itself a deep ditch. I don't think they'll be able to climb out for a long, long while.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »

Eurogamer's article to the story adds this:

Yikes! To make up for this, Microsoft is going to give out a free game with each launch console in the affected countries.

"We understand this is disappointing news to our fans in those markets. To show our appreciation for their patience, customers who have already pre-ordered an Xbox One Day One system before today in those countries will also receive a pack-in game with their system when it launches. (Subject to availability; see your local retailer where you pre-ordered for complete details.)"

EDIT: someone in the comments added this
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:19:23 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

I'll put this here
buy a season pass on Xbox 360,you get the season pass for the same game on the Xbox One

Fans of Season Passes now have another reason to look forward to Xbox One with the Season Pass Guarantee program.  With Season Pass Guarantee, you can purchase a Season Pass for a participating Xbox 360 title and automatically receive access to download the equivalent Xbox One Season Pass.* It’s simple.

Some of the biggest publishers, including Activision, Electronic Arts and Ubisoft, are lined up for the Season Pass Guarantee program, offering season pass content you can’t find anywhere else for blockbuster titles in 2013 and 2014. You’ll be able access exclusive season pass content on anticipated titles like “Call of Duty: Ghosts” and “Battlefield 4” on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Season Pass Guarantee makes transitioning from Xbox 360 to Xbox One an easier and smoother process, so you don’t have to worry about which console you’re playing games on or repurchasing your existing add-ons on Xbox One.

Stay tuned as publishers and titles participating in the Season Pass program are announced in the coming months.

*Xbox Live members must own the same game on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One in order to receive Season Pass Guarantee benefits.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 14, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 14, 2013, 07:16:53 PM

Eurogamer's article to the story adds this:

Yikes! To make up for this, Microsoft is going to give out a free game with each launch console in the affected countries.

"We understand this is disappointing news to our fans in those markets. To show our appreciation for their patience, customers who have already pre-ordered an Xbox One Day One system before today in those countries will also receive a pack-in game with their system when it launches. (Subject to availability; see your local retailer where you pre-ordered for complete details.)"

make it a Kinect required title!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 14, 2013, 07:37:44 PM »

cool news about the season pass.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 14, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »

the XB1 knows when to chill.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 14, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »

My mouse is hovering over the cancel order button waiting on Harkonis, Soulchilde and a few others to announce they are not getting the system.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: August 15, 2013, 12:20:21 AM »

Harkonis is sitting next to me right now, and both of us are still getting it

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1661 on: August 15, 2013, 12:30:43 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 14, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

My mouse is hovering over the cancel order button waiting on Harkonis, Soulchilde and a few others to announce they are not getting the system.

Any particular reason?  It's not like anything is worse now than it was before.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 15, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 15, 2013, 12:30:43 AM

Quote from: msduncan on August 14, 2013, 11:22:28 PM

Any particular reason?  It's not like anything is worse now than it was before. 

I'd argue things are actually better, but MS has shown a clear lack of vision for their product.  They keep waffling about changing stances.  I imagine the MS offices are like The Thick of It these days, I wonder if they have a Malcolm Tucker...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 15, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on August 15, 2013, 12:20:21 AM

GAH.....   

/eases mouse pointer away from cancel button.    turns off monitor and dirty light bulb next to me, and slowly walks from room
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 15, 2013, 12:58:45 AM »

Still in

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1665 on: August 15, 2013, 04:06:37 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 15, 2013, 12:38:57 AM

I'd argue things are actually better...

Not if you have a circle of online friends that extend outside America.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 15, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 15, 2013, 04:06:37 AM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 15, 2013, 12:38:57 AM

I'd argue things are actually better...

Not if you have a circle of online friends that extend outside America.

BAM!

icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 15, 2013, 05:38:17 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 15, 2013, 12:43:54 AM

GAH.....   

/eases mouse pointer away from cancel button.    turns off monitor and dirty light bulb next to me, and slowly walks from room

and goes to P&R icon_twisted

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 15, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »

This is a pretty good take on why the Xbox One is losing
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/the-point/?event=why-the-xbox-is-losing-20130814&tag=Topslot;Slot3

Hark, why are you so softcore?  ninja
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »

Very good. I just can't believe that MS would decouple the Kinect from the system but if we've learned anything so far from them it's that nothing is sacred.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 17, 2013, 07:41:05 AM »

Came across this little tidbit on the internet:
"We are confident that with six months of focused messaging, Microsoft can fully level the playing field with Sony, and we expect the Xbox One to sell as many units as the PS4," said Wedbush's Michael Pachter after the first policy changes.
Microsoft is truly f#$^ed!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 17, 2013, 07:49:34 AM »

OK, Gamescom MS presentation drinking game rules:

Every time:

Kinect is said, take a gulp of beer.
A game is mentioned without actual gameplay being shown, take a shot of hard alcohol of your choice.
The word TV, DVR or sports is mentioned, send Caine a picture of your ass.
They mention the Call of Duty dog, chug a beer.
They say the word 'cloud', send Hepcat a picture of your left nipple.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:58:58 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1672 on: August 17, 2013, 07:56:23 AM »

Hey don't forget to drink after they say "Cloud."

Or not, everyone will die of alcohol poisoning.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 17, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 17, 2013, 07:56:23 AM

Hey don't forget to drink after they say "Cloud."

Or not, everyone will die of alcohol poisoning.

yeah, I had to set some limits.

wait a minute.....

RULES EDIT!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 17, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 17, 2013, 07:49:34 AM

OK, Gamescom MS presentation drinking game rules:

Every time:

Kinect is said, take a gulp of beer.
A game is mentioned without actual gameplay being shown, take a shot of hard alcohol of your choice.
The word TV, DVR or sports is mentioned, send Caine a picture of your ass.
They mention the Call of Duty dog, chug a beer.
They say the word 'cloud', send Hepcat a picture of your left nipple.

Do. Not. Want.

:ban?:

If this list had been in effect at the reveal, we'd have already been dead.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 17, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »

and you'd have a nicely horrifying collection of ass pics.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 18, 2013, 12:49:01 AM »

Bets on when the Xbone will release in Japan, if ever?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 18, 2013, 12:52:35 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 18, 2013, 12:49:01 AM

Bets on when the Xbone will release in Japan, if ever?

who cares about japan?  all they're good for is tentacle rape and giant monsters.

oh, and fried wonton.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 18, 2013, 01:15:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 18, 2013, 12:52:35 AM

monsters.

oh, and fried wonton.
I think you're referring to China. Next country over. smile
in response to the question, never? XBOX has always done horribly in Japan but I think that this is the first time that they've completely screwed the pooch right out of the gate. At least last gen MS had a head start on Sony. This time it will be the other way around and I honestly don't think the PS4 or the Japanese will even look back.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 18, 2013, 01:18:44 AM »

well I did say giant monsters, but if you want to take away the some of the last reasons for Japan to exist that's up to you smile

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: