http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:43:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 79442 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: July 25, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »

in BF3, there were literally 2 or more vehicles per player.  So on a 12v12 map you'd have something like 4 tanks, 2 jets, 2 choppers, 4 jeeps and a bunch of atvs.  Numbers made up but it's close.  The problem this caused was that you didn't have a reason/ability to put people in each position of a vehicle nor did you have any infantry left to cap points or anything like that.  I actually enjoyed the infantry only maps fairly well once they patched the flashlight blinding down a bit.

I know people love the idea of a convoy of tanks steamrolling in, but until we have 64v64 battles I think we might be better off with something like 1 tank, 1 plane, 1 chopper and some humvees/quads per side and go from there. The vids of BF4 make it look even MORE over the top on the vehicles which is why I will most likely just kill time with COD: Ghosts while I wait for Titanfall.

Though now that I'm playing Ghost Recon Online, I might just use my PC for my shooter fix while I wait.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1561 on: July 25, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 24, 2013, 11:04:35 PM

Keep in mind that the new self-publishing stuff from Microsoft is reportedly (by a solid and respected source at NeoGAF) using the App framework for the console. This means that the app will have to fit into the part of memory reserved for the OS (ie. the 3GB part, and it probably won't be able to use anywhere near all of that) and that it won't get access to the more powerful features of the system, instead having to go through the app layer.

The end result is that self-published indie games on the Xbox One are going to be forced to be pretty simple compared to Microsoft-published "indies". Will we be able to see games like Braid this way? Sure. Will we be able to see games like The Witness on PS4? Doubtful.

If thats the case, then the games may also see marketing over on the Windows 8 side - a much bigger market potential for the developers. Win8 RT poses different development challenges so it may not translate for all developers though.

It just seems to me like back in May when MS said they had plans for indie gaming that this is somehow a big surprise that this is now the case.

This is all speculation at this point though - and given the management shifts and focus on being competitive at every level, I can't see the Microsoft Games publishing model to not help developers who are pushing beyond whatever boundaries that are rumored to be present in the self-publishing sandbox.

As an aside for 17bit - how annoying is it that they can't even get their title screen to follow their game settings?

Cripes that's annoying. I have Skulls on my phone, and I need to turn down the entire phone volume to zero if I don't want to have their opening sound blast through - though the rest of the game is entirely muted with the in-game controls. I can't think of another game that has this problem.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:56:14 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1562 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

As to MS dropping Kinect from the console - ain't gonna happen - and I'd be cashing in my preorder if it did. That tech needs to be on every machine for its value to be realized. If the Kinect is as much as is rumoured, there is no way it will get market footprint on separate sales enough to be something developers would include in their games.

Now, if they were to offer a Gold live 2year contract to bring down the initial cost, I'd consider it (plus then I'd be more inclined to buy more peripherals and games at the onset).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1563 on: July 25, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 25, 2013, 03:54:02 PM

It just seems to me like back in May when MS said they had plans for indie gaming that this is somehow a big surprise that this is now the case.

This new initiative is exactly that: new. There are multiple reasons why I say this is the case.

- Microsoft told the press, behind closed doors and after E3, that there would be no self-publishing for indies and that this would not change, confirming the rumors at the time.
- The Xbox One engineer at Microsoft who spoke anonymously at Reddit recently confirmed that there was no indie self-publishing and that there were no plans for anything like that.
- This new initiative will not be available at launch. It will be released within the first year after the console has been released. That right there is pretty telling. If they have been planning this for a while, why would it take such a long time to add after launch?

Let's face it: This is a last-minute effort from Microsoft to get back into good graces with indie developers, and it will probably be very effective for them despite the initiative's shortcomings. They're saying that this was in the cards from the beginning simply because saying otherwise would be to admit "defeat" against Sony. If this was in the cards, they've been holding them pretty tight to their chest considering neither indies nor Xbox One engineers/developers had any idea of its existence.

I'm pleased that this is being done in any case. Xbox Live Indie Games was a great idea, and this seems to be more of the same. It won't let people make games at the level of what we're used to from XBLA, but at least it will be something, and that's a million times better than what we were previously told was going to be the case.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: July 26, 2013, 01:28:57 AM »

So when is MS going to finally start putting out new details that actually make their console sound good rather than sound "less bad"?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1565 on: July 26, 2013, 05:06:19 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 26, 2013, 01:28:57 AM

So when is MS going to finally start putting out new details that actually make their console sound good rather than sound "less bad"?

That's pretty subjective - what are you looking for? What feature is missing from the console, at this time, that would move it from "less bad" as you put it to "good"?

Every console has two free games on it - Killer Instinct (KI offers one free fighter, with others available to buy) and Project Spark.

It offers a common set of controls including the Kinect 2.0 so that developers can use it in new and creative ways. You want them to throw in Illumiroom for free?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1566 on: July 26, 2013, 05:27:39 AM »

Perhaps full access to the resources in the console?
http://m.oxm.co.uk/59041/microsoft-doesnt-want-to-limit-indie-xbox-one-ram-access-everybody-gets-full-pool-of-resources/

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1567 on: July 26, 2013, 07:21:48 AM »

Well that's good if it is the case. I wish Microsoft would stop being so damned vague with everything they do for the Xbox One. It's not surprising that there's endless amounts of rumors and speculation when they don't actually tell people anything. It's like the whole "our problem with the Xbox One wasn't what we offered, but how we presented the message" thing. What message, exactly? They still haven't told us.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1568 on: July 26, 2013, 11:53:53 PM »

In contrast to Sony's 8GB vs 5GB? See, the thing is, Sony is letting the world assume everything, whereas MS is sputtering in explaining what they're doing. Neither is doing us, as gamers, any favors. It's just that in the Sony camp they're focused on how much better they are than Microsoft. When the rubber hits the road, they're both going to land pretty square, with advantages and disadvantages on each side. The hardware gap between the PS4 and the X1 is pretty similar to the 360 and PS3 - we're not talking a Wii-gap here.

I totally see the $100 difference - but right now MS is banking on having cool Kinect stuff possible in every game - similar to Sony's use of the Vita. Sony is hoping the open market will buy vitas to leverage their stuff - and MS has SmartGlass (according to reports, it will be entirely different software from the current version for 360 - thank freakin' goodness).

As far as I'm concerned, it would benefit Sony to bundle (or at least offer a significant discount) to PS4 orders with one vita. They need to seed the market for developers to justify dev cycles to taking advantage of what that hardware has to offer.

On MS's side, they should be doing the same thing with Surface RTs - they need to move those units big time, and having a tie-in to the SmartGlass stuff is a nice dovetail.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:57:49 PM by Purge » Logged

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 27, 2013, 05:24:19 AM »

ugly rumor in the financial world is that smartglass, windows phone (not so much rumor as confirmed) and MSs presence in the "handheld" phone / tablet world has bombed already, to the tune of near billions
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 27, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »

I have now officially accumulated $620 towards my dual console purchase.     This is through selling crap on Ebay and some cash from birthday.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 27, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »

Congrats MSD. I've got my PS4 paid for by selling some vacation hours. I have pulled enough on-call I could also get the Xbox but I'm still on the fence on whether to cancel, keep, or flip it.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: July 27, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 27, 2013, 05:24:19 AM

ugly rumor in the financial world is that smartglass, windows phone (not so much rumor as confirmed) and MSs presence in the "handheld" phone / tablet world has bombed already, to the tune of near billions

Heh, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true, as they've always had terrible luck with consumer electronics in the past. I think a large part of that problem is their timing. They can't seem to release these things in a timely fashion, and only when the market is already saturated. And when they do get released, there's nothing that really make them standout from the competition. In that industry, they're followers rather than innovators, often arriving late in the game when the bandwagon has already left town.  If I were MS, I'd likely be thinking of selling off their consumer electronic division.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: July 27, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 27, 2013, 04:22:27 PM

I have now officially accumulated $620 towards my dual console purchase.     This is through selling crap on Ebay and some cash from birthday.

you could always sell your Bama tickets biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: July 27, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on July 27, 2013, 08:32:42 PM

Heh, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true, as they've always had terrible luck with consumer electronics in the past. I think a large part of that problem is their timing. They can't seem to release these things in a timely fashion, and only when the market is already saturated. And when they do get released, there's nothing that really make them standout from the competition. In that industry, they're followers rather than innovators, often arriving late in the game when the bandwagon has already left town.  If I were MS, I'd likely be thinking of selling off their consumer electronic division.

It's not rumor... it's fact.  MSFT took a $900M write down in assets of the Surface RT this last quarter after reducing the RT prices by $150 per unit.  Basically they made a shitload more than they could possibly sell and then had to reduce the cost per unit (that they are still not going to sell).  Apple is actually gaining marketshare in the tablet space despite the competition and ALL Windows Surface devices actually have lower usage numbers than the Asus Transformer itself (http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-family-web-traffic-dominates-while-all-others-dwindle-in-latest-chitika-study-23291518/).  Basically the Surface is epic failboat.

Windows Phone has also predictably bombed.  Apple and Android are have *gained* marketshare since Windows 8 was introduced.  The Windows total mobile marketshare (so including the older Windows devices) has gone *down* since Windows 8 was introduced.  So... yeah, they're going backwards.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1575 on: July 28, 2013, 03:06:49 AM »

MS can produce some really nice stuff. But sadly their corporate culture right now seems devoid of the right people for it.

Perhaps the big headedness seen with the XB1 isn't so much a sign off then coming off of the 360's success, but rather the continued PC OS dominance that's been mostly grandfathered in from xp and W7.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:09:52 AM by Turtle » Logged
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 28, 2013, 04:29:53 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 27, 2013, 10:34:56 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on July 27, 2013, 08:32:42 PM

Heh, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true, as they've always had terrible luck with consumer electronics in the past. I think a large part of that problem is their timing. They can't seem to release these things in a timely fashion, and only when the market is already saturated. And when they do get released, there's nothing that really make them standout from the competition. In that industry, they're followers rather than innovators, often arriving late in the game when the bandwagon has already left town.  If I were MS, I'd likely be thinking of selling off their consumer electronic division.

It's not rumor... it's fact.  MSFT took a $900M write down in assets of the Surface RT this last quarter after reducing the RT prices by $150 per unit.  Basically they made a shitload more than they could possibly sell and then had to reduce the cost per unit (that they are still not going to sell).  Apple is actually gaining marketshare in the tablet space despite the competition and ALL Windows Surface devices actually have lower usage numbers than the Asus Transformer itself (http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-family-web-traffic-dominates-while-all-others-dwindle-in-latest-chitika-study-23291518/).  Basically the Surface is epic failboat.

Windows Phone has also predictably bombed.  Apple and Android are have *gained* marketshare since Windows 8 was introduced.  The Windows total mobile marketshare (so including the older Windows devices) has gone *down* since Windows 8 was introduced.  So... yeah, they're going backwards.

Ahh well, looks like they're going to be hemorrhaging quite a bit for some time . I do think they need to get out of the consumer electronics altogether aside from the XBone, as they only seem to be hurting themselves with each attempt. I heard that they want to buy the Nook from B&N in order to save it, but sadly, I think their track record would just end up killing it. With the high price associated with Surface tablets and the confusion surrounding them vs the Pro versions, things weren't looking good right from the start.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 30, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »

You spin me right round,baby,right round like a record, baby,Right round round round

and so on and so on

Microsoft looking into including headsets with Xbox one

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 30, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »

they really should, it won't put them out that much.  of course I plan on using the Kinect for voice.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 30, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »

Makes me wonder if that MVC rumour a few weeks ago really was false

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 30, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »

who knows.  so many rumors it's hard to even remember which one that was.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 30, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2013, 05:22:30 PM

who knows.  so many rumors it's hard to even remember which one that was.

icon_neutral

the one that said headsets were coming with the Xbox One

Page 38

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 30, 2013, 05:38:40 PM »

ah, gotcha.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: July 30, 2013, 06:08:25 PM »

No, that was a communication error from what I've heard. This is new.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 31, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 30, 2013, 06:08:25 PM

No, that was a communication error from what I've heard. This is new.

yeah we know what the Official line was   icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 31, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »

communication error with this?  unpossible!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 31, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »

360a.org

The Xbox One will be compatible with your current gaming headset, with the use of a newly announced adaptor.

Following the revelation that current headsets won’t work with the Xbox One as standard, and that a new headset won’t come bundled with the next-gen console, people started enquiring as to whether there was some way that Microsoft could find a fix.

It might seem like a non-issue, but for those of us that have dished out hundreds of pounds/dollars/whatever on a high-end headset, we were eager to hear the answer.

Microsoft’s initial response was to say that the company was looking into making an adaptor, news which has now been confirmed.

Speaking on Twitter, Microsoft’s lead planner for Xbox One Albert Penello, responded to an enquiry by saying, “We will have an adapter that allows current gaming headsets to work."

Penello also said that the adaptor won’t come bundled with the Xbox One, but will be sold separately.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 31, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

LOL

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1588 on: July 31, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2013, 04:56:27 PM

they really should, it won't put them out that much.  of course I plan on using the Kinect for voice.

*sounds of loud gunshots, car noises, explosions, whatever is going on with your game*

"WHAT?! SPEAK UP! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Seriously. There's no way whatsoever that that will EVER work to a remotely adequate level.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 31, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2013, 04:29:33 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 30, 2013, 04:56:27 PM

*sounds of loud gunshots, car noises, explosions, whatever is going on with your game*

"WHAT?! SPEAK UP! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Seriously. There's no way whatsoever that that will EVER work to a remotely adequate level.

I've heard people say it works fine with the current Kinect if you set it up right.  I'm looking at running my headphones through the TV itself though, so I shouldn't have any ambient noise from the TV anyways.

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: July 31, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »

i think they should also make consumers buy a remote (not included) to play blurays too
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 31, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 31, 2013, 05:53:00 PM

i think they should also make consumers buy a remote (not included) to play blurays too

the blu ray remote for the Ps3 was the best purchase I ever made for that console.

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 31, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »

oh that wasnt a gripe against ps3s remote, it was a reminder that we shouldnt be surprised microsoft is jamming a peripheral down peoples throats, for the privilege of using a *gasp* headset.  i dont even use one and it annoys me

my reference was to the original xbox - which had a dvd player, that wouldnt actually play dvds until the consumer bought the magical unlocky power remote

im just feeling like a curmudgeon today and it seems like microsoft is being deliberately obnoxious with the xbox one.  when are they going to demand our discipline?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 31, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »

They do not demand discipline, they only demand YOUR SOUL.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1594 on: July 31, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 06:22:24 PM

They do not demand discipline, they only demand YOUR SOUL.

Reported to Moderation for CoC violation - feeding the trolls.

slywink Tongue Torches and Happiness!

So their new controller isn't BC compatible with the old headsets, so they have new headsets and people gripe. Then they put out an adapter for the new controllers to work with the old headsets, and people gripe.

Do we know how much they cost? Which "old" headsets does it work with - the original (with the two prongs on each side of the 2.5mm jack) or just the newer headsets (ala chatpad config with inline mute and 2.5mm post), or both?

There's also a new infrared LED on the front of the controller, which can be picked up by the Kinect sensor to figure out where you are in the room, something Microsoft says can be used to position split-screen games and the like if people move around the room.

Convenient. I look forward to MS being called to the stand in defense cases where the Kinect is a witness to an alibi. Tongue

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 31, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »

The new headset costs $25.  We don't know the cost of the adapter yet, I'm going to guess at least $15.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1596 on: July 31, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 04:47:42 PM

I'm looking at running my headphones through the TV itself though, so I shouldn't have any ambient noise from the TV anyways.

Oh. Well. In that case, I think it'll work well enough for you then.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 31, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2013, 11:30:17 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 31, 2013, 04:47:42 PM

I'm looking at running my headphones through the TV itself though, so I shouldn't have any ambient noise from the TV anyways.

Oh. Well. In that case, I think it'll work well enough for you then.

I could make random noise like 'BANG' or 'KERSPLASH' or 'PEW PEW PEW' if it'll make you feel better biggrin

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 31, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »

So their new controller isn't BC compatible with the old headsets, so they have new headsets and people gripe. Then they put out an adapter for the new controllers to work with the old headsets, and people gripe.

it just seems like a shameless money grab for something theyve included in the past (a headset) and just an overall additional slap in the face to the people who purchased rather expensive third party headsets

ive never used a gaming headset / microphone combo, but this being a gaming enthusiast site with an older crowd (many here have young children) im sure there are more than a few who own sets for which they paid $100+  even a move to bluetooth i could understand - but to move to yet another proprietary hookup that obsoletes (wow, i verbed it!) peoples hardware, only to turn around and sell them the solution that should have never been needed, seems a bit rude
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1599 on: August 01, 2013, 02:04:47 AM »

Xbox headsets don't work on 360. Honestly, most of my 360 headsets haven't survived.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: