http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Wii channel just launched -- nothing special --  (Read 1313 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2007, 04:07:56 AM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/index.php#8322

Well, it's nothing to get excited over, but I think it's a great move to build their total community idea.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 04:36:43 AM »

Yup got the message and updated.  I don't know, I think it's pretty cool!  A surprise Wii Channel IS something to get (somewhat) excited about!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:19:33 AM »

I can tell you one thing... I'm not turning on my Wii for it.  Sounds like a waste of time.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »

Note to Nintendo, please expend your resources on games, not these dumb channels.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »

I don't have a Wii but the enthusiasm of the thread title sucked me right in!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 01:22:05 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 14, 2007, 01:10:11 PM

I don't have a Wii but the enthusiasm of the thread title sucked me right in!

Gotta temper expectations before hand. Hopefully next month is when they announce and launch the original games channel. The guys at Hudson know something and alluded to a couple of special channels, so it was kind of weird to get this one first.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »

Well, I guess there are quite a few people who can't get enough of internet polls, so I suppose there's an audience for this.

Personally I think this is going to be the first channel I drag over to the second page of the Wii.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »

I really enjoyed the channel.  Especially for free.  I just wish there were more polls.  I think it's great that they're adding stuff.

I wish there was a way to put all of the VC games I downloaded into one channel that would open up to display them.  Maybe the Games channel will do that, though I have a feeling it'll just be a variation on the shopping channel.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 14, 2007, 02:01:57 PM

Well, I guess there are quite a few people who can't get enough of internet polls, so I suppose there's an audience for this.

Are there people who enjoy internet polls? 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 14, 2007, 03:19:26 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on February 14, 2007, 02:01:57 PM

Are there people who enjoy internet polls? 

I don't know, maybe we could ask people their opinions on that and tally them into some sort of list.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 14, 2007, 03:08:36 PM

I wish there was a way to put all of the VC games I downloaded into one channel that would open up to display them.  Maybe the Games channel will do that, though I have a feeling it'll just be a variation on the shopping channel.
If you want your VC games consolidated and seperated from the main screen, why not put them all on the second page of the interface?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 04:32:10 PM »

I can't believe the kind of "Ah well.." replies here.  This is a free channel.  Came out of no where.  It makes an emphasis on interacting on a (sometimes) worldwide scale with others.  It's actually pretty in sync with all of the social media stuff going on in the internet.

I like the feature of predicting which answer will win and having your system keep stats on your percentage of choosing the correct answer.

Geez!  I guess free doesn't cut it anymore.  Can't get excited over something because it's free and actually pretty cool!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 14, 2007, 04:32:10 PM

I can't believe the kind of "Ah well.." replies here.  This is a free channel.  Came out of no where.  It makes an emphasis on interacting on a (sometimes) worldwide scale with others.  It's actually pretty in sync with all of the social media stuff going on in the internet.

I like the feature of predicting which answer will win and having your system keep stats on your percentage of choosing the correct answer.

Geez!  I guess free doesn't cut it anymore.  Can't get excited over something because it's free and actually pretty cool!

The answer to that is that its something we don't really need. With all the other things they could devote time to, they give us this? It's free, thats a plus, but this isn't particularly cool, in my opinion at least, and seems to just be something that takes up space on the main page.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 14, 2007, 04:32:10 PM

I understand your point.  But frankly I do not want to use a console running on an SD TV at 480p to browse the web, check the weather, answer poll questions, etc.  I have plenty of other options which work much better for those activities. I want my game console to, you know, play games online against other people.  I don't think I'll get really excited about the Wii's online features until I can actually do that.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 14, 2007, 04:27:53 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 14, 2007, 03:08:36 PM

If you want your VC games consolidated and seperated from the main screen, why not put them all on the second page of the interface?

I did do that.  But it still is kind of cluttered.

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »

What people have to keep in mind is this console was designed with everybody in mind not just "gamers". There is going to be a lot of wives, moms, and whoever else that absolutely love this new channel. I personally do not see the appeal but I think it is a genius move by Nintendo. If you think it is stupid then don't download it. Want to play a game online? Turn on your XB360 or PS3. This machine is only going to get more non-game functions as time goes on.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 05:33:55 PM »

meh......seems like i am spending more and more time not playing games on that machine....if they just release mario RPG on vc then it could change all that...at least people have a choice,to go on the internet look at news and weather,etc..and now poll channel,imagine if it was just a machine for the new Wii games.....it would never get turned on by me!!

as for the poll questions
i prefer cats...but i predicted that dogs would win the poll,lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 14, 2007, 05:33:55 PM

as for the poll questions
i prefer cats...but i predicted that dogs would win the poll,lol

Uh oh.  I did the same thing.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »

Quote from: motodd on February 14, 2007, 05:30:12 PM

What people have to keep in mind is this console was designed with everybody in mind not just "gamers". There is going to be a lot of wives, moms, and whoever else that absolutely love this new channel. I personally do not see the appeal but I think it is a genius move by Nintendo. If you think it is stupid then don't download it. Want to play a game online? Turn on your XB360 or PS3. This machine is only going to get more non-game functions as time goes on.

True. But Depward was wondering why people on this site dedicated to gamers were not thrilled by the content.  Personally my wife is never going to turn the Wii on to browse the web or check the weather. Especially with no keyboard supprt.  I just hope Nintendo doesn't lose true gamers in their quest to win over the masses. 

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 07:59:56 PM »

Also I think Nintendo is missing out on real channel opportunities. We should have a YouTube-esque channel. up load videos, can be controlled by parental controls, view videos, essentially a Nintendo run Youtube channel. There are websites out there right now making similar sites, but you can't load video straight from your Wii. I mean, how cool would it be to able to have a game record something sweet you just did, save it to the SD card and then load it up on the web to show off?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 03:59:37 AM »

I kind of like the channel. Although I am not playing my Wii much right now (the games will come), I like a little break in between games. The poll channel is quick little diversion and kind of amusing.

I really like the News Channel though. It's very easy to use and its cool getting a quick over view of headlines. When I do turn on my Wii, I usually go straight there to get a round up of what is happening, but then again I am a news junkie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: