http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 05:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros.  (Read 9625 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2006, 09:01:12 PM »

Honestly I hate this game.  It's hands-down the worst Nintendo-developed game I've ever played.  It all smacks of a shitty moneygrab, has no innovation, interesting mechanics, or QUALITY.

Nintendo should be ashamed for sullying the Mario name with this ripe turd.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2006, 11:03:30 PM »

While I'm not hating it on the same level as LE, I am not really enjoying it overall.  I'm still trying to like it in World 6 . . . but it's getting harder and harder for me to want to pick up and play.  I'm not sure why this is exactly - I think there is a good amount of "innovation" (not that there's anything truly NEW but there is a nice mishmash of untraditional elements included in the game (wall slide/jump, mini-Mario, etc.) - but I'm just not enjoying it like I thought I would have.

At least I wasn't hyped for this release!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2006, 11:27:19 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Honestly I hate this game.  It's hands-down the worst Nintendo-developed game I've ever played.  It all smacks of a shitty moneygrab, has no innovation, interesting mechanics, or QUALITY.

Nintendo should be ashamed for sullying the Mario name with this ripe turd.

Why do you even bother playing anything?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2006, 11:28:21 PM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
I've only played through the first world so far and all I have is this game is flipping sweet! All you guys who said the graphics suck are smoking dope and dellusional IMO, this looks better than most of the PSP games I've seen. Just got my DS Lite today, PERFECT game to start the DS off with. I'm loving the level design is well, it feels so classic. And huge Mario? Awesome.

Ding. You are exactly where I am and said exactly what I'm thinking
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2006, 03:49:12 AM »

I seriously don't understand how people dislike this game.  :shock: *scratches head* I loved every minute of it! smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2006, 04:13:34 AM »

so i finally made it to world 8.  I also havent been to world 4 and 7, since, I am not sure how to unlock them yet.

I am loving the game.

The save thing hasnt bothered me in the least.  If I NEED a save, I go dig up one of the mushrooms and open it up, and save there.

i love the graphics and sound.  Today, I noticed that in the dungeon levels, the lava sends up little sparks into the air.  I noticed that in one of the outdoor areas, beems of sunlight come down.  Marios animations are smooth, and full, he swings his arms, raises his head.  I like being able to store a power up.  I liked the turtle power up for the water levels, though I still run around mostly with the flower.  mini mario, I dont like much, but it seems essential for unlocking certain things.

its mario.  With some new graphics.  new power ups, and semi new areas.  I got what I expected when I bought this game.

I would say 8/10.

no less than a 7.

Some of the areas seemed to be difficult just for the sake of being difficult, not becuase I couldnt figure out what to do.  I hate that.  Make a puzzle for me to figure out, dont just make something hard, because.

I love the minigame.  I dont know if anyone has played them, mentioned them, whatever.  The sling shot one to hit the ba-bombs is my favorite.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2006, 06:41:02 PM »

I love this game.  It's short, but sweet.

See, I enjoyed it start to finish.  I loved the bosses, even though they were really, really easy.  I loved watching Bowser get melted by lava.  (Shades of Metroid?)

I don't get all the hate.  If you're expecting the second coming, I can see why you're dissapointed.  If you expected a light gaming experience that will give you some fun, you'll enjoy it.

8.8/10
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2006, 03:56:03 AM »

I'm quite enjoying the game, and I'm pleased to read that a save anywhere feature pops up after the game is beaten. Now I'll just charge through it at a cool, old school pace, and beat the game, then go back and grab all of the goodies, knowing I can save after each level.

I feel like a kid again, and it's great.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2006, 05:14:22 AM »

I half agree with GatorFavre and half agree with TheMissingLink.  The game is refreshingly simple and classic fun.  However, it's uninspiring--it's no

I beat this game in maybe under 2 hours.  Do I want to go back and look for hidden coins?  No, looking for hidden things in video games has always been the bane of my existence--because no matter how well you play, you are at the mercy of pure unadulterated arbitrary illogical item placement.  New Super Mario does a good job of making finding randomly hidden things optional.  Looking for the needle in the haystack is not fun!

And what do the big star coins even do?  I didn't even pick them up on the way to the end, because I thought they were just for extra lives or something.  And I had 50 extra lives already by the time I beat it.

If this game had 100 levels I would give it a 10/10.  In it's current state I'll give it a 6/10 because it's was fun, but only 2 hours of it.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2006, 05:29:37 AM »

Quote from: "hornysax"
I beat this game in maybe under 2 hours.

You are a king among men.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2006, 05:44:34 AM »

"If this game had 100 levels I would give it a 10/10."
I think it has something like 80 or so.  There are lots of alternative paths and secret exits.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"If this game had 100 levels I would give it a 10/10."
I think it has something like 80 or so.  There are lots of alternative paths and secret exits.

Whoops I meant 100 worlds.  As opposed to the 8 worlds it has.  biggrin
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2006, 09:41:16 AM »

I don't think every Mario platformer ever made combined would have 100 worlds slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2006, 03:01:55 PM »

See when I go back to find the "extra" content, it's more for the missed levels and areas. I probably won't even hit the worlds on the lower portion of the map until after I've "finished" the game. Like I said, I'm playing in a knee-jerk mentality right now, like I would have with the original SMB, when you couldn't save the game ever. It's mostly a "just finish the level without dying!" mentality to get to the towers or castles. And so far it's very, very fun. Then, after I'd beaten the game, I can take a slower approach to the levels that I missed, and the secrets in the levels I completed.

The coins? Well, I just see them as a test of my platforming prowess.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »

Mario 1:  I was a kid, so it took a while to beat.  The game is very simple, but still very difficult to this day even with the secret warps.

Mario 2:  A new approach to Mario, and a difficult game that took me weeks to beat initially.  Has great re-playability and I've revisited this one many times.

Mario 3:  A classic challenging Mario.  Played through the entire game, never realizing there were warp whistles.  Each world had many, many levels.  Very substantial Mario game.

Super Mario Land:  Tough game even on a portable platform.  New Mario has no excuses.  :p

Super Mario World:  Long, challenging, beautiful.

Mario 64:  Long, challenging, beautiful.

Mario Sunshine:  Long, challenging, beautiful.  Still tackling this one.

I'm not a phenominal gamer by any means.  But I beat New Mario in 2 hours, having never played it or seen it.  Every world has minimal number of levels, and every level is just too easy.  I just thoughtlessly ran through the entire game.  I don't have a problem with the game, I love it's entertaining simplicity and ease of gameplay.  My only point is that if it had 92 more worlds to consume my time, I would have no gripes.  Sure all Marios combined don't have this many worlds, but all other Marios aren't this short.  Currently it's duration is about the equivalent of three worlds in Mario 3.  :roll:
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2006, 09:47:31 PM »

Wait...you beat it in 2 hours?  Did you take all shortcuts or something?  I guess I don't know how long it actually took me to beat it (I am now going back and getting the coins I didn't get and then going through the two worlds I just unlocked that I didn't go through the first time), but I know it was well over 2 hours.  I just don't know what to say to that...2 hours...wow.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »

2 hours is damn impressive, you should really give yourself a pat on the back for that one.  :shock:

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2006, 12:51:07 AM »

Just wanted to say that the mid-world tower in the ice world (World 4?) was 2D platforming bliss for me. (That's the elevator of spikey-ball doom, for those that have forgotten.) It was kicking my ass at the start, and I loved every minute of it.

I love the vertical tower/horizontal castle dynamic. Fun stuff.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »

Play Yoshi's Island

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2006, 03:42:22 PM »

I'm just now to the third world and as far as I'm concerned it is just getting better and better.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2006, 06:08:04 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Play Yoshi's Island

I did, 5 years ago.  It is a great game as well.  Everyone should play it!

unbreakable
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »

I still haven't finished Super Mario Sunshine.  It's just... too... hard...

The camera tends to piss me off, too, especially in sections it tries to seem like a 2d game.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2006, 02:10:57 AM »

Ohh Sunshine, such a strange beast. Loved the crazy old school stages without the water pack.

Anyway, I look forward to picking up both Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island this fall on Wii's Virtual Console. Thought about grabbing the GBA ports to play on the DS, but I think I'd rather play them on the big screen at home.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2006, 05:49:08 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Why do you spout that out like a sad, broken record every time I turn out to hate something you jizz yourself over?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Why do you spout that out like a sad, broken record every time I turn out to hate something you jizz yourself over?

The reason you get called out is that you seem to hate just about everything.  I'm sure that you can point to some games you genuinely like but I'm sure i'm not alone at being able to recall any of them.  And to make matters worse, with you something is never mediocre- if it isn't great, then it's usually some abominable vile piece of trash that has no right to exist.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »

I'm still having a great time with the title. Just finished the pseudo-castle in world eight (knew there had to be more), and I'm happy that the difficulty is ramping up a little. And I'm also happy that my old school platforming twitch gaming is slowly coming back. I'm pretty sure I remember being able to fly through levels like these, dodging everything, and I'm getting there again, which is a strange blast from the past.

This is more fun than I've had with a video game in a long time. And man do I love my little DS Lite.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2006, 05:37:23 PM »

The reason you get called out is that you seem to hate just about everything. I'm sure that you can point to some games you genuinely like but I'm sure i'm not alone at being able to recall any of them. And to make matters worse, with you something is never mediocre- if it isn't great, then it's usually some abominable vile piece of trash that has no right to exist.

And that's not even the problem, he can't even back up his claims most of the time. That's why his posts are about as relevant as gibberish. Just ignore him.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2006, 05:43:43 PM »

And that's not even the problem, he can't even back up his claims most of the time.
Actually I listed several reasons why I don't like NSMB.  But it's not like that matters, the simple fact is, you don't agree with what I'm saying, and as long as that's the case, you'll continue to fantasize that I "can't back up my claims."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2006, 06:16:22 PM »

And that's not even the problem, he can't even back up his claims most of the time.
Actually I listed several reasons why I don't like NSMB.  But it's not like that matters, the simple fact is, you don't agree with what I'm saying, and as long as that's the case, you'll continue to fantasize that I "can't back up my claims."

The thing that baffles me is you automatically hated the game, then you posted that you were enjoying and it got better and then you come in and post about how it is one of the worst games ever.  It just doesnt make sense.  I respect your opinion on the game, but you were all over the place with this one.  Sometimes it just seems like you go against the flow just to go against the flow.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2006, 06:50:31 PM »

Any one have any tips for finding secret exits? I've never ever been good at finding those...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »

A couple of tips, smaller is better, and shells are good to you.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »

Man alive is the second half of World 8 kicking my ass. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I have to remember that I can't hurl the controller across the room this time. And I haven't even reached the tower yet, I just keep making it futher into the levels before I run out of lives.

But it's all good. I needed a challenge.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2006, 09:45:24 PM »

Ha ha, I think I just figured out a way to basically negate the difficulty of the game, or, for all intents and purposes, give you infinite lives. It's not really tricky or anything - hell, it's kind of obvious, but I figure I'd put it in spoiler tags just on the off chance that saying it outright would ruin the experience for some.

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the very first level of the very first world, the massive mushroom seems to spawn everytime you play. So, if you're ever low on lives, you can go back to the first level, play through it, pick up the mushroom, and charge through the level, causing as much damage as possible. It may be a little repetative, but I picked up 13 lives in under a minute. And you can go back to that level in between others, so finishing off a string of levels to get to a save spot isn't nearly as difficult. It just takes time.

So yeah.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2006, 02:43:12 PM »

Finished the game last night. Thouroughly enjoyed it. And, I'm happy to have the save anywhere feature active, because I still have two whole worlds to tackle. Plus, I've got to take on Bowser again, sans fireballs, to see if I can beat him the real way.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »

Dafones, I did the exact same thing whenever I needed lives. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2006, 11:21:58 PM »

I just don't like this game.  I tried, but it just isn't that fun for me.  Glad most of you enjoy it, but it just lacks something...  On the one hand it is Mario doing his thing, which is normally fun, but this one just seems to have no character outside of the "wow, Mario!" factor.  I would chalk it up to just being over the whole Mario thing, but I have all the Mario Bros./World/Land/Yoshi carts for the GBA and enjoy them much more.  This one is just boring.  And everything looks like plastic to me.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2006, 12:46:08 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I just don't like this game.  I tried, but it just isn't that fun for me.  Glad most of you enjoy it, but it just lacks something...  On the one hand it is Mario doing his thing, which is normally fun, but this one just seems to have no character outside of the "wow, Mario!" factor.  I would chalk it up to just being over the whole Mario thing, but I have all the Mario Bros./World/Land/Yoshi carts for the GBA and enjoy them much more.  This one is just boring.  And everything looks like plastic to me.

YES!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2006, 01:16:50 AM »

That's a shame. I wish you guys had been able to enjoy it as much as I did. Kinda the whole point.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
warning

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2006, 01:22:02 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Quote from: "stiffler"

YES!

I'm not a huge fan on 2D Mario games (I suck at them and find them frustrating) but I've played them all.  For whatever reason I played this one less than the others.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »

Just finished up with all of the worlds and side levels - except for one! In level 7-5, there's a warp pipe hidden under a pile of stone blocks that need to be removed with bob-ombs, and I just can't seem to do it. That's the warp pipe that leads to the only level I haven't played, so I'm a little choked. Maybe one day I'll get in there, but it's damned tough.

I did have to consult the internet for access into a few of the levels, but I don't feel cheated out of the exploration.

The last thing I want to know is, and shout out if you know ... is there a level that has a Blue Shell that's always in one of the "?" Bricks? I always know where to go to get my Mega Mushroom or Mini Mushroom fix, but I don't know a reliable level for the Blue Shell. I know there's a few levels that I need it on for other secrets, but as of yet, I've only been able to pass them by, missing out because I didn't have a Blue Shell.

God, what a strange game.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: