http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 06:51:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros.  (Read 9748 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 08:05:52 PM »

And LE gets the grumpy ball rolling again.

In other news...

I hate the save system as well, but I don't think it's lazy design on N's part.  I think it was very deliberate to make lives and coins actually worth something.  If you can save anywhere, who cares how many lives you have.  On the other hand, I have yet to see what value points have.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 08:35:34 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
When you write something like this:
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
You've basically seen all the originality this game has to offer within the first three levels

it doesn't fit well with you later saying the game gets better after World 1.  It would help to either not make sweeping pronouncements like the one I quoted or at least clarify that you are basing your blanket statement on only a small part of the game so far.

I understand what you're getting at, but I stand by that specific gripe.  The game isn't that original, and by the time you've seen Gonzo Mario and Blue Shell Mario, you've exhausted basically all the new stuff (in terms of mechanics) the game presents.

Now, lack of originality does not prevent the game from being good.  

Otherwise you become un-credible.  If that's a word.

I'm pretty sure the word is incredible.  Which you are always welcome to call me.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 08:55:47 PM »

Got it day before yesterday, and I'm having a blast.  The save scheme is the only dissapointment I've had thus far.  Already this is becoming my favorite ds game, easily.  And yeah, some of those coins are damn hard to find!

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 09:13:37 PM »

After just finishing Super Mario World on my DS, this doesn't seem as good. Probably because of the save mechanic.
That said, I love the wall jump! It makes it so you have a chance when falling down a hole.
I miss flying, though there are some tricks you can do to overcome that omission... in some levels, that is.

The mini games.... I don't think they're all here! The pinball/pachinko table from Wario's games, for example, is nowhere to be found. Neither are the shuffle-board games. I'm I missing something?

PSN ID: EduardoX
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »

This game is great, just simple basic gameplay.  I like the visuals and the sound and for me it is challenging.  I would definatley suggest this game.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 07:13:13 PM »

So how do you unlock those cannons?  I'm trying my best to not go to gamefaqs or similar sites with this game....

I'm near the end of world 3, but I decided to go back and find all of the coins first before advancing.   Still loving the game, still hating the save system...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2006, 07:34:33 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
So how do you unlock those cannons?  I'm trying my best to not go to gamefaqs or similar sites with this game....

I'm near the end of world 3, but I decided to go back and find all of the coins first before advancing.   Still loving the game, still hating the save system...

Get to the cannons by finding alternate endings to a level.  Some of them are tricky!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2006, 10:21:08 PM »

if it's any indication, my wife can't put this down. Absolute winner in my books.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2006, 12:57:19 AM »

Well, from my playtime, I'd probably give the fun factor of the game about a 5.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Out of 20.

TheMissingLink on PSN
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2006, 12:21:14 AM »

72 out of 80 levels beaten, all worlds unlocked, definitely not all star coins collected.

yup.  Time to write my review.  

<flips open DS>

...just one more level....
 unibrow

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2006, 12:41:52 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Spoiler for Hiden:
Out of 20.
Yes, yes... feel the hate flow through you...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2006, 01:47:57 AM »

After putting some more time into it, I'm enjoying it a lot more.  It's just good, clean & unbridled fun.  Obviously it isn't anything "genre-defining" but it's a great mash of "old-school" with new gameplay mechanics.

Two player action is pretty fun too.  Though, the mini-games (like I thought in Super Mario 64 DS) are pretty "meh."

So yeah, was a little down with it when I first started playing, but after playing for awhile I'm really enjoying it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2006, 03:21:06 AM »

Did you "go right" yet???

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Spoiler for Hiden:
Out of 20.
Yes, yes... feel the hate flow through you...

ROFLMAO

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »

I missed the 28.00 sale at CC. Where's the cheapest place to buy this?
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »

I ended up actually picking this up before I left for my family trip.  To be honest, I love the graphics (i don't understand what people are saying about them looking bad)

True it is a un-original game, but I didn't really expect anything ground breaking to come from this game to begin with.  I am on World 5, but I have to go back and unlock World 4.  

I only got to play the multi once with my nephew but he was mad that he lost and didn't want to play anymore.  Over all I am enjoying the game..it will type me over till some other games i'm waiting for come out.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2006, 05:06:03 PM »

The Mario v. Luigi multiplayer really is quite fun.  Christian and I have had quite a few moments where we'd bust up laughing at the just wacky stuff that would happen.

I still think the graphics are sort of ugly.

And I'm still not happy with the save-system.  I played last night before going to bed, completed a few levels and turned the DS off, only to freakin' SLAP my forehead because I didn't save.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2006, 07:24:54 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Did you "go right" yet???

Indeed!  How I missed that, I'll have no idea.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »

I've almost completely cleared each level in the first three worlds now (I've acquired all the secret coins, but not all the warp cannons are unlocked) and have started in on world 4.  I'm loving this game!  biggrin  Absolute blast.  And yeah, once I started reaching some of the later parts of world 2, it started to get a little challenging in spots, which is great.  smile

So far this is my favorite game of 2006!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2006, 08:22:15 PM »

I finished the game yesterday (though I haven't unlocked most of the secrets, including worlds 4 and 7). I thought it was a pretty fun game. Some of the later levels (I'm talking about you, World 8, second tower) were annoyingly difficult. I don't mind a hard platformer, but some of it was just cheap later in the game (such as when the only way you'd know to jump at a certain time is because you've died there before and not because of any on-screen clues/warning). The boss battles were a bit too easy, though.

I haven't tried the multi-player, but some of the mini-games are fun. I especially like the puzzle mini-games.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2006, 02:58:15 PM »

The game is really good old school Mario BUT...

The mini-games are the same as in Mario 64!!

The Mario mini-games are ports of another Mario DS game that was a port of a Mario 64 game!!!!  :shock:

Typical Nintendo!  Tongue

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »

At least you're using the term "port" correctly this time.   biggrin

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2006, 05:50:04 PM »

Thanks - I try!  biggrin

Are you sure they really are ports, though? The menu to get to them is completely different. I think they are even different colors than in Mario 64. This should qualify them as completely new games to you Nintendo suck-ups!  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »

I hate to risk a retread of the ports versus sequels debacle, but I just couldn't resist making a crack.  All in good fun!  smile

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »

yeah the only difference between the two sets of mini-games is that you can play them multiplayer now. I don't remember being able to play them multiplayer before. It's like they felt obligated to add some extra stuff.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2006, 09:58:19 PM »

BTW, I guess that one of the unlockables when you beat the game is (minor spoiler):
 the ability to save at any time.

So those of you who are as turned off as I was at the lack of saves can just power thru the game as fast as possible and revisit the earlier worlds later.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2006, 10:07:08 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
BTW, I guess that one of the unlockables when you beat the game is (minor spoiler):
 the ability to save at any time.

That's great.  Why is this an unlockable and not standard?  The one sticking point (beyond individual taste) for most is the save system.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

I didn't really have a problem with it.  Beats the no-save system of the original by a mile.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2006, 12:06:02 AM »

I thought the save system was fine. Made you play to a point, beat a tower, castle or open up a path with star coins. I have no issues with that. It's better than not being able to save, and while not as nice as save anytime, it's not horrid by any stretch.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2006, 12:22:38 AM »

"I didn't really have a problem with it. Beats the no-save system of the original by a mile."
True, but it's a regression from the the SNES Super Mario games, where you could save at any time, even if you had to go through a previously beaten area.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2006, 01:17:07 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"I didn't really have a problem with it. Beats the no-save system of the original by a mile."
True, but it's a regression from the the SNES Super Mario games, where you could save at any time, even if you had to go through a previously beaten area.

That is simply not true.  You could NOT save at any point in Super Mario World.  You can on the re-release for the GBA but you couldnt on the SNES version.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2006, 01:30:52 AM »

Dimmona THANK YOU for telling me that. The lack of save anywhere has kept me away from the game for almost a week. Now that I know that I will be able to save anywhere eventually, I am much MUCH happier!!!! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2006, 03:30:51 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "EddieA"

That is simply not true.  You could NOT save at any point in Super Mario World.  You can on the re-release for the GBA but you couldnt on the SNES version.

What EddieA meant is that you could beat ghost houses and other stages that let you save when complete even after beating them the first time in order to save again, whereas in NSMB, replaying those stages doesn't give you the option to save again.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2006, 06:15:17 AM »

Yes, you could save at any time by redoing a level that allowed you to save afterwards.  There was one ghost house early in the game that had a quick shortcut and could be completed in well under a minute.  When I wanted to save, I just returned there.  It's very strange that they deliberately took this ability out in the new game, especially since handheld systems are often used for short bursts of playtime.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2006, 07:51:10 AM »

I guess I misread it.  I see what you mean now.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:04 AM »

It's hilarious when people talk about how cool all the "secrets" in this game are.  Let's see.  There are 3 coins "hidden" (I use that term loosely, I've replayed maybe 3-4 levels thus far after 5.5 worlds) in every level, the alternate ways through a level are easy to spot because, well, there's a warp pipe or alternate route right next to the level; so there aren't any real secrets.  Sure, I've come across a warp pipe that takes me to a mini-room, but pssh, whatever.

I'd probably give this game, when it's all said and done, a 6/10.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2006, 02:18:31 AM »

I've only played through the first world so far and all I have is this game is flipping sweet! All you guys who said the graphics suck are smoking dope and dellusional IMO, this looks better than most of the PSP games I've seen. Just got my DS Lite today, PERFECT game to start the DS off with. I'm loving the level design is well, it feels so classic. And huge Mario? Awesome.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2006, 03:09:52 AM »

Not saying the graphics suck, they're just uninspired, which is weird for me to experience in a Mario title.  It is artistically un-pleasing, I guess is the phrase I'd use.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2006, 09:41:45 PM »

I completed the game, getting every big coin on the first playthrough.

Random thoughts (will contain spoilers:

-The second coin in 8-8 was by far the hardest big coin to get.  Frustratingly hard.  I can remember maybe 2-3 big coins that were really hidden.

-The "secret" paths were pretty lame overall.  The hardest one was the one in the very first castle because it was actually hidden.

-I've read impressions of people who proclaim the last world's greatness, but I don't see it.  I hated those spiders.  I hated the falling lava rocks.  I really, really hated those spiders.

-Maybe I just don't dig Mario games, but I hated water-swimming levels.  I also didn't like the levels with the lava following you upwards nor the one's where you were being chased by a huge fish.  Basically, the one's forcing you to play at the mercy of the game's pace.

-What was the point of the triple jump?  I never used it.  I probably only did it once I can remember running down the very last hallway.

-I thought the nod to the last castle in the original SMB at the last castle in NSMB was neat.  And I appreciated the "ding."

-The bosses were simple.  I'm not talking about the amazingly easy mid-boss (Bowser Jr.), the end-bosses were quite easy and sort of uninspired.

-The graphics were a letdown.  I was expecting some cool effects here and there; artistically, the game was bland, and it wasn't even pleasing to look at, I'd say.  

-MEGA-Mario was pointless.  Whenever I popped a huge mushroom up, I'd just skip it.  The novelty of pressing forward and running into stuff was neat the first two times.  But it wasn't useful in any situation.  Maybe I missed something (though I doubt it).

-LOL, I had 80 life's left at the end of the game.  What a joke.

-I liked the screw-things you jumped on.

I am *so* glad I finished the game.  It's getting traded-in today.

SOLID 5/10.

TheMissingLink on PSN
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2006, 09:45:55 PM »

I hate the swimming levels too..i can maybe take one..but once you play one it's enough.  I haven't gotten all the coins yet, but I can agree that they aren't to hard..once you play the level once through you know where they are.  

I honestly like playing it here and there..but that is what I like the DS for.  I wasn't really expecting any more than that.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: