http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 06:07:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros.  (Read 9693 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2006, 12:14:44 AM »

Just picked this up a while ago and have been playing through the first world.  All I can say, is if you like video games buy a DS and buy this game.  It is easily the most fun I have had on my DS so far.  The graphics look great!  The backgrounds that a lot of people were complaining about actually look really nice in the game.  The music is classic Nintendo goodness.  A lot of old Mario tunes remixed it seems like.  The new power-ups are well implemented and add a lot of fun to each level.  I have already found a couple alternate endings to levels which is something I really loved about Super Mario World.  The game itself is kind of like a mix of Mario 1 and 3.  

I also got the chance to play some of the multiplayer mini-games with my wife.  We both had a good time and enjoyed them quite a bit.  All of the mini-games from Mario 64 on the DS have been brought in but have been made into multiplayer games.  On top of those, there are new mini-games just for NSMB.  Havent had a chance to play the Mario vs Luigi game yet but I should be able to play it later tonight so I can post some impressions of that.

Early on this game is easily a 9+ out of 10.  Go buy it!  Any questions?

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:16:59 AM »

Holy crap. How did this get released without my knowing it. Off to the store!
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 12:37:20 AM »

I hate you.  I went to gamestop to get mine and they said they wouldn't have them in until tomorrow.

So I grabbed Brain Age while I was there.  Did a bunch of stuff, 5 sodoku puzzles, and went back to wishing I had NSMB.   crybaby

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 12:44:22 AM »

Try Best Buy.  I had some luck there and I saw some people over on GAF that got theirs from Best Buy as well.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 02:31:22 AM »

8 from 1up.

I have this feeling in the back of my mind that I am going to be somewhat disappointed by the game.  The 1up review expounds on the fact that each Mario game, despite being somewhat similar, all had a little bit of innovation in them, a little bit of "ah-hah!" and surprise...and how this game sort of lacks that inspiration.

I mean, I'm all for a new (old) Mario game...but a new (old) soul-less Mario game?  Any thoughts on that MR. FAV-RAY?

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:39:32 AM »

This game in no way feels soul-less to me.  Not yet anyway.  It is like a continuation of the 2D games on the NES.  I would say it has as much soul as those games.  I thought I might be let down by this game as well, but if my early feelings remain throughout the rest of the game I will not be let down at all.  Maybe 1UP has been blinded by 3D graphics and the change the series took when it made the leap to 3D.  I stick to my recommendation of the game 100%.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:45:18 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
This game in no way feels soul-less to me.  Not yet anyway.  It is like a continuation of the 2D games on the NES.  I would say it has as much soul as those games.  I thought I might be let down by this game as well, but if my early feelings remain throughout the rest of the game I will not be let down at all.  Maybe 1UP has been blinded by 3D graphics and the change the series took when it made the leap to 3D.  I stick to my recommendation of the game 100%.

Oh hell yes, no one should miss out on playing this game.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:47:21 AM »

Cool, cool, maybe that 1up reviewer was just jaded about something smile

TheMissingLink on PSN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 12:59:13 PM »

I'm picking it up today from Gamestop. I've been waiting so long for another 2D Mario game. I never really liked Mario 64/Mario Sunshine (yeah, I know I am probabbily the only one) and I can't wait to play another good Mario game.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 01:22:41 PM »

I'm so tempted..I have a trip coming up this thursday..ill try to swing by and pick it one in the next few days.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »

Picked it up at BB today at lunch. The game itself seems great after around an hour, but I can't believe you can't save anywhere you want. Very very lame given all of the recent Mario games let you - particularly all the SM Advance games. From what i have seen you only can save when clearing castles (mid way and at the end of each world) and when you buy a path via star coins. Not a huge factor, but definitely a negative for me.

I'm shocked that the controls are so simple (you only use 2 buttons). Anyway, had fun so far, but I am ass at unlocking hidden stuff, so I am sure I will have to read some walthroughs to start really getting to the meat of the game (the secrets). So far I cleared the first world. Definitely most reminiscent of the original SMB to me.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 05:18:50 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Picked it up at BB today at lunch. The game itself seems great after around an hour, but I can't believe you can't save anywhere you want. Very very lame given all of the recent Mario games let you - particularly all the SM Advance games. From what i have seen you only can save when clearing castles (mid way and at the end of each world) and when you buy a path via star coins. Not a huge factor, but definitely a negative for me.

I'm shocked that the controls are so simple (you only use 2 buttons). Anyway, had fun so far, but I am ass at unlocking hidden stuff, so I am sure I will have to read some walthroughs to start really getting to the meat of the game (the secrets). So far I cleared the first world. Definitely most reminiscent of the original SMB to me.

I was a little confused by not giving us the ability to save anywhere.  Makes the game a little less portable.  The secret stuff is pretty cool so far... they got pretty tricky in some areas.  Took me a while to find all the coins in the first castle and to get to the cannon in the first world.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 05:25:20 PM »

I was a little confused by not giving us the ability to save anywhere.

Doesn't the DS have a sleep mode, so you can turn Mario off without saving?     How young can someone play this game?  Mario doesn't appeal much to me, but I will probably be getting a DS Lite, and figure my 5 year old may like Mario (if its not to frustrating).

---
XBox Live: ScottW
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 05:45:34 PM »

5 year old could probably play it.  You can put it in sleep mode, but it sucks when you want to play a different game or play the mini-games.  You have to go find some place to save first.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 06:01:34 PM »

You can put it in sleep mode, but it sucks when you want to play a different game or play the mini-games.

What minigames does it have?  Those could be great for younger kids.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 08:25:19 PM »

I picked this up at lunch and haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, but to answer your question Scott - I think I read somewhere that it has the exact same minigames that Super Mario DS did (only they are all unlocked from the outset).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 09:11:03 PM »

Yup most from Mario 64 plus a few new ones... and all of the mini-games have multiplayer versions.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 09:41:02 PM »

I've been looking for a reason to buy a DS for some time.    I think this might be that reason.  Any idea how much the used DS are going for?
siege

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 10:17:19 PM »

Picked it up this afternoon. It's fantastic.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 10:31:26 PM »

Hmm replaying castles does not allow you to save your game. Nor does unlocking new areas via alt routes. This save system is going to cause me issues later on I think. Just a horrible. horrible lazy decision by Nintendo. BOO. BOO I say!

(The game is wonderful, otherwise.)

-John

th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 11:43:07 PM »

I'm absolutely loving it.

Mike Dunn
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 12:33:52 AM »

I am by far the first to say " who the hell wants to play a side scrolling game? especially Mario Bros. ? That is so 90's."

I was 30 min late from lunch. The sad part was I was in the back....playing the new Mario Bros.. By far the best DS game to date.
Hats off to Nintendo.

My kids wouldn't know I have this until I am done with it  :twisted:

Highly recommended.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 12:35:29 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I'm picking it up today from Gamestop. I've been waiting so long for another 2D Mario game. I never really liked Mario 64/Mario Sunshine (yeah, I know I am probabbily the only one) and I can't wait to play another good Mario game.

Oddly enough I like Sunshine much much more than Mario 64, it felt more focussed and interesting to me... go figure. I will say that NSMB has me more interested than either of those two titles combined!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 01:50:15 AM »

9.0 from Gamespot

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 03:27:11 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
8 from 1up.

I have this feeling in the back of my mind that I am going to be somewhat disappointed by the game.  The 1up review expounds on the fact that each Mario game, despite being somewhat similar, all had a little bit of innovation in them, a little bit of "ah-hah!" and surprise...and how this game sort of lacks that inspiration.

I mean, I'm all for a new (old) Mario game...but a new (old) soul-less Mario game?  Any thoughts on that MR. FAV-RAY?
As resident jaded gamer, I'll have to agree with 1up on this one.  8's around what this game deserves--personally I'd hand it a 7.5 at this point, but then, I'm extra special cruel.

Why this game is disappointing:

1.)  Has the designed-by-committee feel Nintendo used to be reknown for avoiding, but recently has taken up.

2.)  Graphics are fugly compared to the GBA Mario ports.  Mario and all the monsters have this odd plastic/melty animation which makes it all look like blurry claymation.  Shameful.

3.)  You've basically seen all the originality this game has to offer within the first three levels--the originality being the powerups.  Despite its title, nothing feels "new" in this game.  Instead you have some bizarre hybrid of SMB3 and the original, and far outdated SMB, sewn together and given life through the miracle of marketing.

4.)  Level design is dead-as-a-doornail boring so far.  The original SMB had more inventive levels in its first world than NSMB has in its first.

For some ungodly reason, this game ignores all the advances in the series we've seen from SMB2 all the way to SMW2.  It's basically an upgrade of the original SMB, and quite frankly, the world has moved on.  Good for those of you who are especially nostalgic, or who think the original SMB was the best of the series.  

For those of us who just want a good game, and/or who think that the original SMB was good for its time, but is fairly quaint/boring by modern standards, you will probably be disappointed in this title.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 06:14:14 AM »

After playing through the first dungeon (4 worlds or something, so these are early thoughts), I agree with LE.

I don't like the look of the game.  I don't like the 3d-look of everything, I hate the map.  The "chomp's" of the pipe-flower-chomps are annoying.

I don't really even like the "feel" of the game.  It feels like a weird-ass hybrid of stuff I've done before, put together, but missing something.  

I had fun with the corkscrew thing, floating down collecting coins, I guess.  But that was the highlight.  Turning into omega-Mario consists of nothing but pressing left or right.  Wasn't impressed.

The saving issue, also, baffles me.  I know it's going to sometimes turn me off to playing the game for 5-10 minutes.  If I have a very limited amount of time, I'll just pop in Ouendan over this game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 12:15:19 PM »

I still don't get everyone's complaint about the saving.  Am I the only person who closes their DS and puts it in sleep mode when I am done gaming?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 12:30:05 PM »

I'm complaining about the saving because in every other handheld mario I have been able to save on the world map.

And no I can't just put it in sleep mode when I want to play a Sudoku puzzle before bed.

While I like the game more than LE, I think a lot of his complaints are valid - particularly nothing new being really added. I vehemently disagree about the graphics. I think the game looks fantastic.

I continue to be baffled that no review has mentioned the save system. That is just poor reporting.

-John

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »

You know, I can be a Mario Whore.

But I am having a GREAT time with this title.

Its hands down my favorite DS title. When you become BIG-ASS Mario, there is nothing better.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 01:34:52 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
I continue to be baffled that no review has mentioned the save system. That is just poor reporting.

It bothered me at first, but as you progress it seems that there is an opportunity to save at almost every other level, so it stopped bothering me as much.  At least it's better than the original SMB in that regard.

I'll be sure to mention it in my review.

Mike Dunn
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 05:00:57 PM »

I'm on world 3, and I'm enoying it so far for what it is - a fun old school platforming romp.  

My only real complaint so far is that craptacular save system - I end up treating the big coins as 'typewriter ribbons', in that I don't necessarily spend them when I want to get more lives/powerups but rather when I want to save the game.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 02:07:00 AM »

Wow... absolutely loving this game.  I've just finished World 1, including world 1-A (?) and having acquired all three of the big coins in each of the stages.

The save system isn't a big deal to me either, for exactly the reason Dimmona gave: I just hang on to big coins and spend 'em if I need to save and don't want to beat the next castle level yet.  And like others, I don't leave my DS in sleep mode since I'm often swapping out games.

The game is a bit more like SMB 1 than SMB 3 so far, which is only mildly disappointing as I was hoping for more SMB 3 style of play.  But I'm talking only a tiny niggling little complaint.

I'm most surprised that, despite it not really feeling challenging so far, I've died several times, mostly while doing something stupid or in the process of trying to get one particular big coin.

The graphics are fantastic imo; I really like the 3d/2d blend they've gone with.

If I have one disappointment overall, it's the soundtrack.  Pretty weak so far, though a few of the tunes that hearken back to the Mario themes are decent, but the new tunes just don't quite "feel" right.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 05:25:10 AM »

Update:

The game gets substantially better after World 1.  Level design improves, the new monsters you see actually have a chance to look cool, there are more secrets to be had, etc.

We're still not at SMB3 or SMW-level design quality here, but now I'd call the game worth playing, at least.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 05:44:06 AM »

The game gets substantially better after World 1. Level design improves, the new monsters you see actually have a chance to look cool, there are more secrets to be had, etc.

... Those harsh impressions you gave before were from only playing through the first world? Remind me not to read your impressions anymore, discounting a game based off very early impressions is just plain stupid.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 05:56:37 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Update:

The game gets substantially better after World 1.  Level design improves, the new monsters you see actually have a chance to look cool, there are more secrets to be had, etc.

We're still not at SMB3 or SMW-level design quality here, but now I'd call the game worth playing, at least.

Oh, man, I've unlocked 5 of the worlds and let me just say that at a certain point there comes a realization that the amount of hidden goodies in this game is staggering.  It reminds me so much of the original in that respect it's not even funny.

Apparently the mini-mario mode is the key to unlocking a bunch of them, too.

Mike Dunn
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 06:17:47 AM »

using mini-mario to find some of those secrets adds a nice challenge as well.  I have had to play through some levels over and over just to find the 3 coins.  Some of them are very well hidden.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 12:04:05 PM »

well I really wanted to get this and like it, but it sounds like I probley would be let down.  Maybe i'll wait till it's cheaper and worth the price.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 03:27:21 PM »

Dumb question but how's multiplayer? Whats it about and how does it play?

Ascendent
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 05:59:32 PM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
... Those harsh impressions you gave before were from only playing through the first world? Remind me not to read your impressions anymore, discounting a game based off very early impressions is just plain stupid.
I write impressions, not reviews.  Apparently you realized this, so I don't see why you're bitching.

Beyond that, alot of what I (and others) have said still holds up.  The graphics of mario and the core monsters (goombas, koopas, bowser & son) are fugly.  The sound/music is awful.  There is little originality in the game -- so far the world order and themes seem to be directly ripped out of Mario 3 (IMPRESSIONS WARNING:  I'm only to World 5).

Basically I'd bump my score of the game from 7.5 to 8.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 07:21:05 PM »

Quote from: "Ridah"
I write impressions, not reviews.  Apparently you realized this, so I don't see why you're bitching.

When you write something like this:
You've basically seen all the originality this game has to offer within the first three levels

it doesn't fit well with you later saying the game gets better after World 1.  It would help to either not make sweeping pronouncements like the one I quoted or at least clarify that you are basing your blanket statement on only a small part of the game so far.

Otherwise you become un-credible.  If that's a word.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: