http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:49:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii Reviews Rolling In  (Read 2777 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »

From IGN: I really, really like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I have no qualms with saying this is a far better game than the Nintendo DS version, and it could easily be the finest Super Mario Bros. 2D platformer Nintendo's ever created. You should absolutely get a copy, no question.

From Gamespot:  Thankfully, New Super Mario Bros. Wii has more than nostalgia to back it up. While it doesn't stray too far from what's come before it, New Super Mario Bros. Wii's tight gameplay, multitude of secrets, accessibility for newcomers thanks to the nifty Super Guide, and some fun multiplayer additions all add up to a great platformer that Mario fans and nonfans alike should enjoy.

Anyone excited, or is there still too much Modern Warfare 2 love going on right now?  I think it's a good case of counterprogramming, honestly.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:27:39 PM by Eel Snave » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »

I'm interested, but also a bit worried. I felt the controls in New Super Mario Bros were a bit off, particularly for someone like me who's played through Super Mario World about a dozen times. SMW had perfect controls, particularly when airborne, but NSMB felt sluggish and unresponsive in comparison. I'm wondering if the Wii game has similar controls or has gone back to its roots.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »

I'm very excited about this game.  It's on my Christmas list, though, so it'll be a while before I play it.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-new-super-mario-bros/17-1633/

quck look, this game looks so awesome. But I have far too many games to play to think about buying this.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »

I cannot wait!  My most anticipated game of the year!  I hope I can find it at a Wal-Mart at 12:01 Sunday morning.  I even convinced my gf to go with me!  Finally a game we can play together.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:31:30 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 13, 2009, 06:42:32 PM

I'm interested, but also a bit worried. I felt the controls in New Super Mario Bros were a bit off, particularly for someone like me who's played through Super Mario World about a dozen times. SMW had perfect controls, particularly when airborne, but NSMB felt sluggish and unresponsive in comparison. I'm wondering if the Wii game has similar controls or has gone back to its roots.

Interesting you should say that - I've been playing SMW on the VC with the classic controller and it feels a bit too skatey to me. I did find the controls a bit off with NSMB too, but I can't say they felt any worse than SWM. I'm very much looking forward to this game too, but because I have other Mario games on the go, I'm going to hold off a bit.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 08:33:11 PM »

Edge's review was quite critical of the game.  They made it soiund uninspired and by the numbers. 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 13, 2009, 08:33:11 PM

Edge's review was quite critical of the game.  They made it soiund uninspired and by the numbers. 

Do you have a link?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »

Sound like an outlier to me.  IGN gave it an 8.9 and Gamespot an 8.5 with 1up giving it an A+  Edge is weird though.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »

Kotaku: There's really no reason not to buy this game. Despite my time constraints, despite the urgency I felt in needing to complete the game, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a pleasure to experience from opening screen to post-credits punchline. The fact that it also happens to be the showcase for a new way of helping gamers experience and enjoy a title can almost get lost in the mix. But it shouldn't. The Super Guide, and the ability to unlock video hints inside the title will most definitely change the way we all play games eventually, no matter the system we play them on.

I haven't had this much goodhearted, simple fun on a video game console since my days playing the original Super Mario Bros. snowed in at my house in Maryland. Sure, a lot of what makes a game like New Super Mario Bros. Wii so much fun for someone like me to play is the nostalgia factor. But there's more to it than that. This is a delightful game, one that delivers a lasting and challenging experience without making you feel like you need to learn how to walk again. If Nintendo still needed a reason for people to buy a Wii, this is the ultimate argument winner.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:27:19 PM by Eel Snave » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 13, 2009, 08:39:03 PM

Edge's review was quite critical of the game.  They made it soiund uninspired and by the numbers.  

Do you have a link?

Unfortunately, no.  It's in their print magazine.  I don't know if they have put it up online.  The game itself received a 7 but the text of the review read a lot worse.  

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on November 13, 2009, 08:40:54 PM

Sound like an outlier to me.  IGN gave it an 8.9 and Gamespot an 8.5 with 1up giving it an A+  Edge is weird though.

Since Edge tends to be more critical I would actually say that a 7 from Edge is inline with 8.somethings from Gamespot and IGN.  8.anything is honestly pretty low for a flagship Nintendo mascot title. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:57:22 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »

Joystiq: But how important is that, really, when New Super Mario Bros. Wii is so much fun through and through. Lack of difficulty bugs me, but it does mean that anyone can pick it up and immediately get into it, and anyone can do well in the game. Sure, it sucks there's no online connectivity for the multiplayer, but I know I would miss seeing the expression on friends' faces when I penguin-slid them into a nearby abyss. Even without online, this as an extremely smart rethinking of a tried-and-true formula and with at least one friend (or three), you're going to find New Super Mario Bros. is well-deserving of your hard-earned coins.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:27:02 PM by Eel Snave » Logged
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:26:48 PM »

GameDaily: Don't get us wrong. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a wonderful video game, but its designers drew upon 24 years of familiarity to produce an experience that makes us smile one moment and shrug the next. World 2, for example, is a desert world, much like it is in Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 and New Super Mario Bros. That's not bad, just a ho-hum reminder of Nintendo's hesitance to shake things up; if you disagree and bring up Super Mario Galaxy, point noted.

Criticism aside, New Super Mario Bros. Wii comes highly recommended for both Wii owners and gamers on the fence about purchasing the console. It serves as both a must play for the system and a beautiful homage to classic gaming. So slip into your Propeller Suit and sail into the Mushroom Kingdom. You'll enjoy the trip.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »

Interesting. Joystiq says the game is easy. GameSpot says the game is incredibly hard, probably the hardest Mario game yet.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »

I watched Giantbomb's quick look (it's over half an hour long) and what I saw looked awesome. In my opinion knocking Nintendo for retaining the old-school spirit is unfair considering how Galaxy plays. If I had a Wii I would love to own this.

Now what I want to know is how the game holds up if you're playing through it alone.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 14, 2009, 06:03:30 PM

Now what I want to know is how the game holds up if you're playing through it alone.

According to the Game Trailers review, the game is really designed first and foremost as a solo game.  The 4 player stuff is just kind of a fun bonus that doesn't necessarily work as intended (ie it turns out to be more fun to focus on screwing the other players up than actually cooperating to get through the levels). 
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 02:52:14 PM »

So I played a little yesterday at Gamestop.  It was in the first world, so I thought I was going to blow through the levels handily, but it was actually more challenging than I expected.  It was also pretty great seeing Iggy Koopa back.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »

isn't this the game that can play itself if you think it's too hard? kinda strange
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »

My understanding is that if you die several times in a particular level, the game will offer to pass the stage for you to show how it's supposed to be done, and to allow you to continue on to future stages rather than getting hopelessly stuck.

-Autistic Angel
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

I just finished the first world and I have to say it takes everything good about NSMB DS and makes it even better.  Yoshi is a much welcomed addition, so great to finally play a new 2D Mario riding around on Yoshi.  The ice flower rocks!  The levels feel more creative to me and were actually challenging near the end of the world.  Good stuff all around and I highly recommend it to anyone that has ever enjoyed 2D platforming.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 15, 2009, 03:47:46 PM

My understanding is that if you die several times in a particular level, the game will offer to pass the stage for you to show how it's supposed to be done, and to allow you to continue on to future stages rather than getting hopelessly stuck.

According to the GameTrailers review, it's 8 times in a single level. At that point, a green question block pops up where you spawn and if you hit it, the game asks if you'd like to have the game play itself. However, I thought you could interrupt it at any time to take control on your own again...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 15, 2009, 08:42:08 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 15, 2009, 03:47:46 PM

According to the GameTrailers review, it's 8 times in a single level. At that point, a green question block pops up where you spawn and if you hit it, the game asks if you'd like to have the game play itself. However, I thought you could interrupt it at any time to take control on your own again...

Correct.
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »

Classic 2d Mario forever!

Boo to the naysayers!

smile

(Amen to the 3d ones too slywink).

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »

Does the game use the nunchuk?  I'm thinking of buying the game for my nephews to play together, but they only have 2 Wiimotes and 1 Nunchuk.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 01:37:14 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 17, 2009, 08:39:26 AM

Does the game use the nunchuk?  I'm thinking of buying the game for my nephews to play together, but they only have 2 Wiimotes and 1 Nunchuk.

Nope, you're good.  Sideways wiimote.  I can't imagine it wouldn't use a classic controller, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »

I believe some of the moves in the game like the platform tilting and the spin jump require the Wiimote's tilt sensor so the game can't really be played with the Classic Controller.

-Autistic Angel
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 17, 2009, 01:37:14 PM

Nope, you're good.  Sideways wiimote.  I can't imagine it wouldn't use a classic controller, too.

It doesn't support the classic controller.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »

I got the game today and gave it a spin between my bouts at Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed 2. Got all the way to the first castle. I'm pleased to see that the controls seem way tighter than I remember them being in New Super Mario Bros for the DS. I'm pulling off airborne stunts again with ease like I did in Super Mario World. The game seems fun and challenging already, so I'm looking forward to playing more once I can find the time.

Major plot spoiler follows. Don't read if you don't want to ruin the story and its twists:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The princess gets kidnapped!  eek  icon_wink  icon_lol
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 06:39:27 AM »

Tap dancing the Mario theme - awesome.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »

Beat this one last night.  Still lots to go back and do, though, with the star coins to unlock stages in World 9 and then going back and doing some levels I didn't have to do or didn't unlock.  The game is amazing and playing with 4 players can be fun, though it really ramps up the difficulty when playing with others because you now have to avoid enemies and friends.

I also don't know if I am losing my platforming magic, but I must say the game seemed pretty hard.  I know some of it was because I was always playing with at least another person and most of the time four people, but even just looking at the level design, it seemed to be more difficult than past Marios.  Still, great game and I will definitely be going back to get the star coins I didn't get and try to unlock everything.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »

We've played through about 2/3 of the game so far with 2-3 players.  All the difficulty I've had with the game has been with there being other (unpredictable) players in the game world where we all get in each others way.  There have been a couple levels where we had everyone but one of us die so we could have one person finish out the level quickly and easily.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »

I've played through about half of World 2 with my completely non-gamer wife and while it's a blast playing together, I do sense we are rapidly approaching a cap on how far the two of us playing together will be able to progress.  Even now there are places where I basically say "OK, honey, go into a bubble while I get us through this section". 
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »

My wife and I are in world eight and have four star coins left to get, unless there is a secret level we haven't found yet. We almost always finish the levels together and normally use the bubble if one of us is about to die. The hardest level so far has definitely been 8-1; the randomness and plethora of ways to die made it very frustrating. I did do part of that level alone.

Definitely a great game, even in co-op, and I hope there is more 2D mario goodness coming. I would also like to see a female playable character (toadette, daisy, etc).
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »

Quote from: JSL on January 05, 2010, 07:20:52 PM

Definitely a great game, even in co-op, and I hope there is more 2D mario goodness coming. I would also like to see a female playable character (toadette, daisy, etc).

Everyone I show the game to asks, "Why can't I play as Peach?"  I'm like...."Well, that's because she is the one being saved."

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2010, 07:58:21 PM

Everyone I show the game to asks, "Why can't I play as Peach?"  I'm like...."Well, that's because she is the one being saved."

That's why I didn't include her on my list.  icon_wink There really should have been at least one female playable character though, especially since the two toads are the same. I wouldn't mind if all of the characters had special abilities too, like SMB 2.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 08:41:33 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 05, 2010, 07:58:21 PM

Exactly what my wife and daughter asked. 
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »

My wife and I played it with another couple. It's...interesting. The fact that it's a four player game makes for some interesting scenarios. I'm not sure if it's a good game or not. It's definitely a blast, but it's often an exercise in frustration. We made it to the last part of the game, but were unable to finish off bowser. (Spoiler: it's a mario game and the last boss is bowser.)

What often ended up happening on some of the harder levels is the two weaker players press A and one or two players make the run across the world by themselves, otherwise people get left behind / can't make the jump / ram into other people while they are trying to jump, causing both players to die. It's an exercise in frustration in that sense.

Additionally, the game is JERKY when players start to die. It pauses for a second, while you're in mid jump, and then mario falls to his fiery-lava based death because you didn't continue to hold down the A button for long enough or something and his momentum is completely screwed up.

And that pretty much hits at the core of the problem with the game. There's nothing that can't be done in the game by a single player (that I saw), and the game is EASIER when you're not playing with four players. After the twentieth or so time failing at a level, we were all like 'okay, next world please' and we'd have one person make the much-easier run across the world by themselves while everyone else just bubbled through.

My love of the game completely faded after two worlds. It went from 'must buy' to 'maybe buy' to 'already played it. Why would I want to subject myself to that again?' over the course of the 8 worlds. I really wanted to love this game, but the game design just doesn't work for four players.

And the character design - Mario, Luigi, and... two toads. Meh. You'll be getting the two toads confused constantly even if you're playing as them.

I'd recommend renting it, but not buying.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »

The interesting thing for me is when I played it with others and we died, we all laughed and had fun.  I've never played a game where I thought it was kind of fun to die and yet there I was laughing my ass off.  My opinion is opposite of Dragonfyre's....I think it is a definite buy (of course, I never rent games, so I guess it would be hard for me to recommend a rental).

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »

I'm with Grue, but I'd have to say you must have a different mentality when playing with a group.  It's not the same experience at all, and it's not meant to be.  The SP is more about level progression and struggling to unlock everything.   MP is meant to be a party game, pure and simple.  It's chaos and hysterical fun.  I can see two skilled players playing akin to SP, but once you add a third, just let go and have fun.  Seriously, I was mildly enjoying SP, but once I played with my sister-in-law and her husband, it was 10x as fun, but, yeah, we sucked.  My wife just watched, but I think she secretly wants to play.

But two toads was an asinine decision.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 05, 2010, 11:44:25 PM

But two toads was an asinine decision.

That does kind of suck, but I also get confused between Mario and Luigi when playing at times.  Would have been nice to get a different 4th character, but not sure what they would do since there aren't really any other characters except Mario, Luigi, Peach, and the toads.  Doesn't make sense for Wario or Waluigi to help out.  Daisy is about it, really.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: