http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 12:32:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Shadow Hearts 3 characters revealed  (Read 2127 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:53:55 AM »

RPGamer has some details on three newly-announced characaters for Shadow Hearts 3.

"Mao loves to drink, and shamelessly takes advantage of her being a cat to ignore the Prohibition laws. In a fight, Mao is a Drunken Master, and the drunker she is, the more deadly she becomes."

"Hildegarde Valentine...Her ability in battle is Calorie Counting. Depending on how many calories she has consumed, she can transform into various shapes. Some of them might even do something to change her generally bratty, self-centered, and violent personality." And, she's a vampire.

I love the game already slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 07:43:17 AM »

First on the list, we have Frank Goldfinger, a 46 year old ninja with a supply of sketchy ninja techniques that he learned after crashing his own personal airplane into the Amazon jungle and discovering a hidden sect of ninja. Intelligent and imbued with a strong sense of justice, Frank makes an unfortunate habit of being far too dramatic, and also tends to take too many things at face value.

Mad-Libs must be HUGE in Japan.  Between this and the crazy titles being slapped on some recent games, I'm starting to wonder if the developers are making fun of us. smile

In all honesty I find it a lot more refreshing than the rehashed plots and cookie-cutter stories.  At least there's some character, however absurd, to it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 03:22:21 PM »

Has this been picked up for a US release?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 06:45:33 PM »

Quote from: "stolazi"
Has this been picked up for a US release?

Unfortunately no.  Depward is having fits how there hasn't been an "official" statement regarding any company picking it up for a U.S. release.  Let's hope that Midway once again picks it up (like the previous two Shadow Hearts games) and releases it in the U.S.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 06:55:09 PM »

BTW, this is set for release July 28th in Japan.  

I too am worried if we'll see this stateside.  Covenant only had 60k sales over here.  Even if it does come out over here, I wonder if they will put the time and effort to give it the same great localization that SH:C got.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 09:33:13 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
BTW, this is set for release July 28th in Japan

Oh it's coming out in the U.S.  

How do I know this?  It's an omen - July 28th is Dep and my bday.  It's a SIGN!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 02:38:59 AM »

I'm going to beg and plead with Ron to let me go to Midway and ask them about Shadow Hearts 3....and hopefully their other games.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:06:16 AM »

I read in an interview that Covenant sold about as well in the US as the original Shadow Hearts did, so that's a good sign for #3.  Also, the fact that it's set in the US and the small, but devoted following the series has gained bode well.  I also have a sneaking suspicion that someone high-up at Midway is a big fan of the series.  It's just so different from what the games Midway usually puts out, it's really odd that they were the ones that brought the first two games to the US.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 06:15:38 AM »

Well, it did sell about as well as the first one but that's still really shitty.  Judging by the leap in the quality of the production values as well as the localization, I suspect that Midway was hoping to make some headway in sales which didn't really materialize.  

Honestly, I'd love to know the economics behind localization and distribution.  Atlus seems to have a good economic model- their titles don't go beyond niche in the US yet judging by the fact that they are only increasing their output here I can only assume that their sales forcasts are being met.

However, Atlus games sell much better in Japan.  Unforunately both Shadow Hearts games have also done poorly in Japan- approx 110k units each.  I hope that the budgets on these games can be sustained based on approx 200k worldwide sales.  

I'll take From the New World however I can get it, but I really hope that it gets the same stellar localization as well as the same voice actors where appropriate.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »

BTW, this is set for release July 28th in Japan.  

I too am worried if we'll see this stateside.  Covenant only had 60k sales over here.  Even if it does come out over here, I wonder if they will put the time and effort to give it the same great localization that SH:C got.

I've heard everything from 60k to 150k for SH:  C's sales numbers.  While neither is great, I'm 150k would make them much more likely to bring it here.  Is there any way to verify these numbers?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 03:11:37 PM »

Gratch, the Shadow Hearts Covenant numbers are from NPD taken from Gaming-Age. Its the most official number we can get outside of Midway. It might be up to 70k by now but I know in April the sales were approx 3k, maybe less.  NPD doesn't cover all retailers so the real US numbers are probably higher, but 60k is pretty poor compared to other RPGs reported by NPD.  It *is* about what a typical Atlus product brings in though and those seem to be doing well enough.  

In Japan it had sold approxl 110k as of last year. Its possible that it could be up to 150k which could be where that number was from.  They did just issue a SH:C director's cut in Japan which hopefully provided a nice boost to sales.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »

Gratch, the Shadow Hearts Covenant numbers are from NPD taken from Gaming-Age. Its the most official number we can get outside of Midway. It might be up to 70k by now but I know in April the sales were approx 3k, maybe less.  NPD doesn't cover all retailers so the real US numbers are probably higher, but 60k is pretty poor compared to other RPGs reported by NPD.  It *is* about what a typical Atlus product brings in though and those seem to be doing well enough.  

In Japan it had sold approxl 110k as of last year. Its possible that it could be up to 150k which could be where that number was from.  They did just issue a SH:C director's cut in Japan which hopefully provided a nice boost to sales.

Thanks Kevin, that makes more sense now.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 07:27:20 PM »

There's an interview at RPGFan that talks a little about the series' sales.

stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 06:21:42 PM »

Any E3 news about this being released in the US?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 07:29:59 PM »

RPGamer has a very nice new trailer for the game.  It's from the Japanese demo, although it's mislabeled an "E3 trailer" at the site.  The game comes out in a couple months in Japan, so hopefully, we'll get word on a US release not long after that.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 06:04:43 AM »

It wasn't at the Midway booth since it hasn't been announced in the US.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 07:51:44 AM »

RPGamer has some new info and scans for the game.  Someone better announce a US release soon, or someone's going to get hurt.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 04:08:02 PM »

The magic system looks interesting, but every time I see a new character, I cringe.  A 15-year old lead character?  An 8 year old pirate captain?  C'mon, now.  The Shadow Hearts games have always had a quirky sense of humor, but they've also always had a very dark tone to them as well.  It almost seems like they're trying to go 'cutsey' in this installment, which would be very bad for the series.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 05:42:46 PM »

I just hope they get the story a little bit better. I got so sick of the gay/sexual innuendo, and the terribly shallow characters about halfway through I just gave up. I am excited about the next one though!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2005, 06:04:37 AM »

"A 15-year old lead character? An 8 year old pirate captain? C'mon, now."
The first two games also featured child/teen characters - Halley in the first game, and Anastasia in Covenant.  The developers have a way of taking what sound like ridiculuous character concepts and making them work.  Also, although Johnny is the character you play as, the story seems to revolve more around Shania - she's the one who is able to change forms, rather than the main character.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2005, 08:10:16 AM »

I'm really looking forward to SHIII.  I liked how both previous Shadow Hearts games didn't do the "typical approach" that many RPGs fall under these days.  Well, maybe "these days" is a bit too strong, because it seems as though more and more games are trying to do different things.  But both stories had a pretty serious plot line, but the characters and concepts were really different than a lot of other RPGs.  Sure they were a tad bit goofy, and in some cases extremely over the top, but I enjoyed how there was seriousness in the story . . . and then some not-so-serious parts as well.

I just really like the Judgement Ring.  I think it's a great system (for both battle and discounts when you shop).  SH1 was a bit more stale in the fact that there wasn't any sort of ring personalization like SH2.  But what the Judgement Ring does for me is always keep things fresh.  Recently RPGs have been trying different things then just hitting the X button and repeat sort of battle plan.  The Judgement Ring is a great divergent from other RPGs.

I like how it seems as though SHIII will be more centered around Shania than Johnny.  Bah, I don't like that name - Johnny Garland.  I like watching the one trailer I've downloaded because it shows some great concept work as well as bits and pieces of gameplay.  But it also has some great music.  And I even purchased the official soundtrack for SHII because it has one of the strongest soundtracks out of any RPG I've ever played.  That and I like the attention to detail that the music has.  There's a obvious "break" in, well, both the first and second SH games . . . and in both games the regular battle music changes as well as having different boss music.  It's a small thing for others, but I really like how that is.

Anastasia was a great character in SHII whereas Halley I thought wasn't all that great in SHI.  I just feel bad for not using Lucia in SHII very often . . .

Enough rambling - I need an announced U.S. release date PRONTO!   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2005, 09:26:08 AM »

I love systems like the Judgment Ring, and wish more games would use them.  It's a nice compromise between turn-based and real-time and helps alleviate the tedium of fighting so many battles.  I'm really looking forward to hearing more about Magna Carta, which is supposed to combine a Judgment Ring type system with character movement on the battlefield.

stolazi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 05:36:40 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I'm really looking forward to hearing more about Magna Carta, which is supposed to combine a Judgment Ring type system with character movement on the battlefield.

That sounds great. I'll have to keep an eye on this one. Is it coming out this year?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 12:34:50 AM »

Magna Carta is due out Winter 2005, so I would assume that means December.  RPGamer has some screenshots here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: