http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 02:29:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sam & Max Episodic trailer out  (Read 277 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:51:16 AM »

Eurogamer link here

The punchline is a scream.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:52:08 AM »

You had me at "Sam & Max".

"I don't indescriminately use people...except Max."

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:31:09 PM »

Ok Ok. I never played S&M back in the day, but the trailer is crazy delicious.  I presume it was a joyful experience a la Full Throttle and that game that I love whose name I cannot think of for the life of me with Manny....dia de la muerte....

What's the scoop. By episodic they mean what? Is it exclusively from Gametap?

What the dilio?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 01:07:58 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Ok Ok. I never played S&M back in the day, but the trailer is crazy delicious.  I presume it was a joyful experience a la Full Throttle and that game that I love whose name I cannot think of for the life of me with Manny....dia de la muerte....

Grim Fandango is what you're thinking of- and yeah Sam and Max was just as great as those two games.  

As for episodic content- it's something that the developer, Telltale, is currently experimenting with in their Bone series of games.  Essentially that means it's a series of short (maybe 3-4 hour) game segments released several months apart for a smaller price- Bone was initially $19.99 but they just dropped the price to $13 for the second episode.  Not sure if Sam & Max will use the same pricing model.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »

Grim Fandango is the game you're looking for.

Also, go find Sam & Max Hit the Road on CD with full voice.
Here's some eBay lovin'. Someone here may have the game.

Highly recommended. Also, check out ALL of the Monkey Island games.

As to your questions on Gametap, I believe they're releasing games in chapters, much like HL2.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:08:16 PM »

I think that episodic content may become the single-player business model of the future, much like WoW is the multi-player business model of right now. I'd actually prefer it if developers released episodic content in arcs if the whole thing is going to be serialized.

Say for example you have a nine episode story you want to tell via episodes. Then break that up into three three-episode arcs and release the first three episodes one month apart from each other. Then start releasing the next three about three months later, then the final set three months after that. But that's me. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
I think that episodic content may become the single-player business model of the future, much like WoW is the multi-player business model of right now. I'd actually prefer it if developers released episodic content in arcs if the whole thing is going to be serialized.

Say for example you have a nine episode story you want to tell via episodes. Then break that up into three three-episode arcs and release the first three episodes one month apart from each other. Then start releasing the next three about three months later, then the final set three months after that. But that's me. smile

Yeah, there are definitely some huge issues here.  Timeliness is of course a big one, as you mention.  IIRC the Sin episodes are projected to be 6-9 months apart and that's just too long IMO.  Monthly should be the minimum goal, even if you need to work longer to get ahead.  

I'm not really opposed to it but I think it will ultimately end up being a stealth way of implementing a $100 price point for games.  After four episodes at $19.99 you're probably at about the same level of content of some straight up single player games, only now you've shelled out $80.  Of course the advantage is that it puts the onus on the devs to ensure that the quality remains high throughout since gamers will jump ship as soon as they don't see the value in continuing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: