http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:37:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PSP Hardware Redesign - possibly shown at E3, out this year  (Read 1672 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »

1up has a new article about the possibility of a new PSP (the PSP Go!):

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173959

Points from the article:

First, I'm kinda peeved - I sort of hope it isn't something I crave, since I have a special edition Monster Hunter PSP-2000  icon_lol

"We've heard various rumored code names for the project (including PSP Slide, PSP Flip, and PSP Go!), but given that Sony has introduced the Go! brand of add-ons (the Go!View video on-demand service and 1.3 megapixel Go!Cam) for the European PSP, it seems likely that the new system will in fact be called the PSP Go!"

Eh, PSP Go!  Whatevs, it works.

"The system is set for release in Japan this September with a U.S. debut coming in either late October or early November."

This doesn't surprise me.  I'm guessing Sony brought devs the new PSP and was like, hey, this kicks butt, develop some games for it, and that's why we've seen an influx of future games in 2009.

"In addition, since the UMD is going away, Sony will have over 100 classic and new PSP titles available for download at launch (Gran Turismo Mobile is said to be one of the premier launch titles)"

Ooooh, so THAT'S why hardly any PSX games are being released on the PSN store... hopefully.

"As for the hardware itself, the redesign will include a d-pad, analog nub, and face buttons as part of a sliding unit sticking out below the screen (as seen in our mockup above). Unfortunately for those looking for twin-stick shooter controls, the new system will not have a second analog stick, but instead will remain consistent with the current control configuration."

The design sounds good but dang @ no second analog stick.

A mock-up:

A highly credible source on NeoGAF said about the article (who has leaked information previously): "Pretty much nailed it."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:46:10 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »

it never fails, I start thinking about getting a PSP and wham! rumors of a new model start hitting the web.  if it flips open they should go with fliPSP  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:50:35 PM »

I can't imagine holding it and using the buttons easily with them so close to the bottom edge.  Of course since this is a mock-up perhaps the real thing will be much better.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:27:11 PM »

I like the sliding screen...that's pretty sleek.

I want an optional attachable second analog stick. Like, a place to take a nub, or stick, or whatever on or off.

And what they REALLY need to do is add PSN buddy list/trophy integration.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 29, 2009, 04:27:11 PM

I like the sliding screen...that's pretty sleek.

I want an optional attachable second analog stick. Like, a place to take a nub, or stick, or whatever on or off.

And what they REALLY need to do is add PSN buddy list/trophy integration.

Forget optional.  If that next PSP doesn't have a second analog stick, FAIL.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »

I forsee some hand cramps reaching for the upper shoulder buttons on that mockup.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:41:45 PM »

What do I do with all my UMD based games that i currently own?  I have a launch PSP and would love to upgrade to a newer model, but I don't want to toss away all the games I love.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »

I lost my PSP someplace in my house.  I'd really like to find it again...
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 05:06:35 PM »

If that mockup is accurate I am out.

No second analog stick = no sale for me.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 29, 2009, 03:50:35 PM

I can't imagine holding it and using the buttons easily with them so close to the bottom edge.  Of course since this is a mock-up perhaps the real thing will be much better.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that picture. The unit would simply feel awkward at best, and an ergonomic nightmare at worst. I would have also preferred a "flip" version to the "slide" version, because now I need to go out and buy more cases and/or screen protectors.

The lack of a second analog nub is a disappointing decision. Everyone seems to complain about the lack of this feature. Games like Syphon Filter, Resistance, and many others would have been dramatically enhanced by that second stick.

Finally, is anyone surprised/disappointed that the next PSP won't be a touch screen? Just about every handheld device on the market has embraced this control scheme, and Nintendo has obviously proven it works in any gaming environment. Is Sony unwilling, or too arrogant, to adopt some of Nintendo's good ideas?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »

What hep said, unless they have some option to copy current UMD games onto a potentially UMD-less system, they're going to end up fragmenting their market. 

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »

Like others have said, no second analog=no sale.  I also agree with others that said that things looks very uncomfortable to hold.  Pass.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »

The second analog nub would basically make it a new system since old games wouldn't use it properly.  I can see that if this is just a redesign they really can't change it too dramatically in terms of the controls.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 29, 2009, 06:05:57 PM

The second analog nub would basically make it a new system since old games wouldn't use it properly. 

They wouldn't need to use it all.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 29, 2009, 06:08:56 PM

The second analog nub would basically make it a new system since old games wouldn't use it properly. 

But all future games would still need to be designed around a single analog stick since publishers just aren't going to ignore the existing 50 million strong userbase.  And then the games that offer dual options need to be appropriately balanced for each option.  Doesn't Resistance Retribution have some sort of gameplay modification/rebalancing for users using a DS3? 

It's like mouse and keyboard support for console FPSs- technically possible (at least on PS3) but almost no one wants to put forth the effort to balance the game for both styles of inputs. 
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »

IMO they should just make a whole new system instead of a revision to the existing system. 

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »

IN!

Never needed the other stick. Never cared.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 03:31:28 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 29, 2009, 06:36:21 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on April 29, 2009, 06:08:56 PM

But all future games would still need to be designed around a single analog stick since publishers just aren't going to ignore the existing 50 million strong userbase.  And then the games that offer dual options need to be appropriately balanced for each option.  Doesn't Resistance Retribution have some sort of gameplay modification/rebalancing for users using a DS3? 

It's like mouse and keyboard support for console FPSs- technically possible (at least on PS3) but almost no one wants to put forth the effort to balance the game for both styles of inputs. 

But isn't sony already ignoring the some of the existing userbase by taking out the UMD?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 04:45:46 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on April 30, 2009, 03:31:28 AM

But isn't sony already ignoring the some of the existing userbase by taking out the UMD?

Yes, but that's more of a "backwards compatibility" issue and doesn't really effect future development. Developers don't need to devote additional resources to new games other than making sure that they make a digital delivery version as well. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 05:30:48 AM »

I still prefer this mock-up over anything Ive seen.....

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 06:04:18 AM »

Don't you remember when they first introduced the Dual Shock for the PS1?  They had the old-school non-analog controllers that games still had to support but most  also began to support the new analog sticks as well.

They've already made me wary of backwards compatibility by removing the UMD slot, and without dual analog sticks there is no reason for me to upgrade from my PSP-2000 to this new one. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »

There's a big difference between buying a $40 Dual Shock controller and buying and entirely new PSP.  They're pretty much locked into the one analog stick.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »

Uhm, ok, I'll bite.
If UMD is going bye-bye what medium will you buy games on? If the system is based solely on downloads this will be a mega-disaster. First, not everyone has internet access. Second, Sony needs retailers to sell the thing. How much space are retailers supposed to give it when they don't sell games for it? Honestly I don't get how they can remove the UMD drive. I may not like UMD, but you're taking a system with already limited software options and hamstringing it--calling it a PSP seems like a misnomer (like a PS3 without blu-ray). I mean, seriously, it's a PSP not an iPhone.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »

Why couldn't they just sell games on memory stick?

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »

It is a gamble certainly to not have a way to play the games without downloading them.  But I would bet the number of people who bought a PSP but didn't have Internet access is rather small....like under 1-2%.  

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 01:35:43 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 30, 2009, 01:28:16 PM

I think that's a great question, I was wondering that as well. It does bring up the piracy issue, though. Sony has had a tough go with pirating and I would think (not an expert by any means) that pirating games from a memory stick would be easier than from UMD.

Farley, I think you're vastly mistaken on that. There's also another large group of owners that are kids whose parents might not feel comfortable with the thought of their kids "buying things online" even if it is perfectly safe, with parental controls etc.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »

The bigger hitch with a UMD-less PSP, and it's mentioned a few times above, is what do you do about all the PSP games that have already sold?  It's one thing to say, "Okay, the PSP2 has no UMD, but will play PSP1 games that you've downloaded leagally."  But to release a new PSP1 that simply won't play all the games that their current customers have bought over the years is basically telling those people "You'd have been better off pirating all those games instead of buying them."  

It would be a completely boneheaded move, which is why I'm 50% sure that it's not true.  smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »

The only thing I can think about those who have UMD games is that there will be something you can do to prove to Sony that you actually own the game in the first place. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of that wouldn't be doable by pirates as well would be to send in the disc itself to Sony.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 01:53:49 PM »

Yeah, it would be kind of like if the new DSi had dropped the DS slot and had gone to games on SD card.

Quote from: Chaz on April 30, 2009, 01:35:59 PM

The bigger hitch with a UMD-less PSP, and it's mentioned a few times above, is what do you do about all the PSP games that have already sold?  It's one thing to say, "Okay, the PSP2 has no UMD, but will play PSP1 games that you've downloaded leagally."  But to release a new PSP1 that simply won't play all the games that their current customers have bought over the years is basically telling those people "You'd have been better off pirating all those games instead of buying them."  

It would be a completely boneheaded move, which is why I'm 50% sure that it's not true.  smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 01:56:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 30, 2009, 01:46:46 PM

The only thing I can think about those who have UMD games is that there will be something you can do to prove to Sony that you actually own the game in the first place. Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of that wouldn't be doable by pirates as well would be to send in the disc itself to Sony.

That's probably most likely.  However that probably would only work for first party titles. It would be up to third parties if they wanted to participate in a similar program for their games. A couple of other (not very likely IMO) possibilities:

1) For those with existing PSPs, put out an official UMD to memstick converter program where people can export an ISO to the new PSP.

2) For those without existing PSPs, sell a UMD drive accessory that can do the above.  

Personally, I think that, if this rumor is true, they will just largely ignore trying to get the existing userbase to convert and just focus on new PSP owners and Sony (and probably third parties) will offer up their most popular older PSP games for download for $10.00 or something like that.  
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »

I personally am not interested in any gaming platform that is completely download only, I just like to be able to own the actual game on a disc. I think it is just the collector in me but I really hope they dont go to a straight download only format. I know the distributors will love it cause they dont have to produce any packaging and will still charge full price for the games
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »

aren't those really small in physical size?  if they're the size I'm thinking of, like the memory card for the Wii, I imagine they'd be pretty easy to lose.

Because I can,
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2009, 02:51:38 PM

aren't those really small in physical size?  if they're the size I'm thinking of, like the memory card for the Wii, I imagine they'd be pretty easy to lose.

Hasn't hurt DS sales.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »

which means you have to buy another one.  sony has a plan, my friend.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 30, 2009, 03:09:53 PM

Hasn't hurt DS sales.

d'oh!  I forgot those were pretty small too.  guess that shows how much I actually used my DS when I owned one.

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 30, 2009, 01:56:21 PM

Quote from: Destructor on April 30, 2009, 01:46:46 PM

That's probably most likely.  However that probably would only work for first party titles. It would be up to third parties if they wanted to participate in a similar program for their games. A couple of other (not very likely IMO) possibilities:

1) For those with existing PSPs, put out an official UMD to memstick converter program where people can export an ISO to the new PSP.

2) For those without existing PSPs, sell a UMD drive accessory that can do the above.  

Personally, I think that, if this rumor is true, they will just largely ignore trying to get the existing userbase to convert and just focus on new PSP owners and Sony (and probably third parties) will offer up their most popular older PSP games for download for $10.00 or something like that.  

I read a rumor that there would be kiosks to essentially "rip" the game onto a memory stick.  Again, a rumor, but yeah, I think your option #1 would be most likely.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »

PSP games I think cap out at about 1GB per title. Few games use that much space. So it would be pretty cheap to sell discs on 1GB memory sticks. But yes, they'd be pretty easy to lose. Same with DS carts, as already stated.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: