http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 09:29:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Psp games impressions?  (Read 1704 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »

Has anyone picked up any of the new batch of psp games?  I'm really (still) on the fence as to which handheld to buy: a DS or PSP.  It really depends on how good LotR Tactics, Socom, GTA, Infected, Harry Potter, etc. all pan out.  So, any impressions?  

(Basically, I need you guys to think for me :oops: .  Should I go DS or PSP?  Oh God, or even PS2 or Xbox!!??  I'm very confused.  Please guide me.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:32:16 PM »

GTA is a lot of fun.  If you liked GTA on the consoles, you'll like this.  So far, it really is the GTA 3 + allowing riding on motorcycles.  There are some issues, but I'm still amazed at the translation.  I've heard that X-Men 2 is a great translation to the PSP as well.  Watching movies on the PSP is enjoyable, especially when I need my kids to sit quiet for a moment when we are out smile.

I can't speak for the DS, though I enjoy my GBA games.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:36:20 PM »

GTA and X-Men are really good, as are the latest batch of sports games.

I think there are 3 new games out this week too.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:57:04 PM »

Can't really comment on the newer games since I recently traded my PSP for a DS but I can say it was a huge mistake! I've been missing my PSP a lot and comparing the graphics is like looking at an Atari 2600 and then fast forwarding about 20 years in time and you've got the PSP. Can't believe I did this.. I even had my PSP at the local coffee shop checking my internet and listening to mp3s.
On top of that, watching movies when I was staying at camp blanding with no TV.
Can't do any of that on the DS.

With the newer games like Battlefront 2, GTA and WWE vs Raw 2006 I'm really regretting my decision.
Even battlefield 2 modern combat is coming to the PSP.
The DS still doesn't have any online games either. Yeah they're (the 3 or so announced ones) coming but they also look like kids games. Animal crossing or Infected? Mario Kart or Battlefield 2? Lets see..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 02:03:29 PM »

Battlefront 2 and GTA are lots of fun.

I was thinking of selling my PSP and now I am glad I didn't. There are quite a few good games for it now and I like to use it to listen to gaming podcasts in bed! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 02:52:53 PM »

I like to use it to listen to gaming podcasts in bed!

Suppose better those then Packer replays!  smile  Pats aren't doing much better though, so we're all in pain.

Should be a fairly easy decision Vinda, if you like Sony games, get the PSP.  If you like Nintendo games, get the DS.  Mario Kart may be great, but I can't stand playing anything Mario related, just to kiddy for me, and I don't like that arcade style cart racing.  Sometimes the theme (Mario) kills what may be solid gameplay.

The DS had a really bad drought with no good games, and so did the PSP.  It looks like both finally have games worth playing now, and the droughts are over, and both are pretty good systems.  Though, I'm waiting to see the DS2.  Nintendo always improves their handhelds, like when they went from the GBA to the GBA SP.  I want to get the DS, but in a much smaller package, and it'll probably arrive in the near future.

---
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 03:25:08 PM »

XMen is great - for some reason I'm enjoying it much better than the XBox version.  GTA and virtua tennis are both fun as well.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 03:57:58 PM »

I enjoy playing my PSP and have quite a few games for it, but for me, the DS trounces it as far as amount of time I spend playing games.  The DS really offers some unique gameplay with the stylus and dual screens and it is something the PSP can never match.  Sure, the PSP games look great, but I think they suffer from having games just ported over to it.  There are a few exceptions of course.  If you can, buy both.  If you can have only one, go with what types of games suit you better.  I don't consider Nintendo to be too kiddy (I am 32 years old), but are just games which can be enjoyed universally, by people of all ages.  Honestly, that is one of the reasons I love Nintendo so much.  However, you might, and if you do, go with the PSP.  Really, only you are going to be able to make that choice.  Which unit has gotten more of my money so far?  The DS, even with PSP games being higher in price. smile  That won't change for the rest of the year, either, since I still have Mario kart, Viewtiful Joe, Sonic, Animal Crossing, Tony Hawk, etc. still to come out this year.  There will be a couple of PSP games I might consider picking up this year like Metal gear Acid 2 and that RPG that is about to come out (Something of Legends...can't remember the exact title).

As far as new games go, I have GTA and X-Men 2 and enjoy them both.  The controls seem to be too much of an issue for me to drop the money on Star Wars Battlefront 2.  LotR might be good, but I need to see some more reviews.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 04:35:54 PM »

Great points, guys, thanks.  I was afraid of this: I want a new psp!  And to think I traded it away less than two months ago :cry: ...  But I'm most upset in wanting a psp because it's a hundred bucks more than the ds.  Thing is, there are a couple of games I like on the ds, almost enough worth buying it for, but things like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing hold no interest for me.  Oh well, I'll get the psp and one game for now.  I'm assuming the 32mb card is enough for some game saves, right?  I'll get a bigger card later.

Side note: If anyone has umds or games they no longer play, check out my trade thread in the trade forum.  I'll trade PC games for your psp things.  Even like 2 or 3 or more PC games for one psp game or movie, of course depending on the game or movie.  I'm also going to add Shattered Union to my list of trades, so if you are interested let me know!  

Keep any impressions of new games coming!  

And finally, if anyone really cares, here's my list of games I will pick up asap:
-GTA
-LotR Tactics
-Socom
-Infected
-Xmen
-Battlefront II
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 05:18:44 PM »

X-Men 2 is really good, especially if you haven't played it on the consoles.  I like it more then GTA I think, at least the XBox version I have.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.

---
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 07:59:40 PM »

Good list of games there. I'd also recommend picking up Burnout Legends. Great fun, although you do end up dieing a lot later on due to pixalation. Xmen is a great game as well, showing what a waste of money Untold Legends was.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:13:35 PM »

Xmen 2 is great on the psp, very good game.  I can’t believe they managed to cram all of Xmen 2 (I have the xbox version too) into the psp, and still have it look and play great.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 09:44:33 PM »

Is Xmen a pause/real time system similar to Baldur's Gate or Freedom Force?  As in, issue orders, pause, change orders, resume...?

Any other single player impressions of recent games?  I'm curious if Socom single player is lengthy and/or decent.  Also, has anyone picked up LotR?  More impressions please!

Alternatively, please convince me that the psp is a waste of money and that my hard earned cash is better spent elsewhere. :twisted: These little buggers are expensive!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 01:16:16 AM »

Just started playing X-Men 2 for the PSP last night and so far I'm pretty impressed but, wow, does this game ever lots of stutters and pauses.  It can take several seconds just for the pause menu to come up.  Otherwise it looks to be a great port.

Although it is another case of developers/publishers who don't quite "get" portability.  X-Men Legends 2 has what must be a record number of intro movies to skip through everytime.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 03:10:52 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Just started playing X-Men 2 for the PSP last night and so far I'm pretty impressed but, wow, does this game ever lots of stutters and pauses.  It can take several seconds just for the pause menu to come up.  Otherwise it looks to be a great port.

Although it is another case of developers/publishers who don't quite "get" portability.  X-Men Legends 2 has what must be a record number of intro movies to skip through everytime.

Thankfully the stutter/pauses only happen the first time a sound effect/menu is loaded - after you get a minute or so into it, the almost disappear.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 10:14:10 AM »

I got GTA:LCS this weekend, and it's great. If you like GTA 3, you'll love this. Speeding through the city on motor bikes is great fun, and I really don't understand the complaints about the controls. The radio stations are very funny, even if most of the music isn't too my taste, and the loading times are minimal. I still think XMen Legends is the best PSP game for protracted playing sessions, but GTA is now my 2nd favorite PSP game. Great times for the PSP, I can actually look forward to Christmas this year (PC and consoleless for a month)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »

Legend of Heroes is out this week! It's the first true RPG for the PSP in the US.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 03:36:21 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Legend of Heroes is out this week! It's the first true RPG for the PSP in the US.

But will it be good?  I think you should take the plunge and find out. smile

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 05:19:11 PM »

Isn't Kingdom of Heaven also out? That's 2 RPGs in a week. I'm tempted by both, but will definitely wait for reviews. I'm looking forward to Raw/Smackdown as well, but with the death of Eddie Guerrero I'm not as eager as I once was.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 05:46:36 PM »

What's the buzz on the Armored Core game coming out?  Is it supposed to be any good?
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 08:36:25 PM »

LOTR Tactics has got a really mediocre review at Gamespot.  I was hoping this one would be good.  Has anyone played it yet?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 08:46:21 PM »

Infected?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: