http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 03:23:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PSP games for trip?  (Read 1700 times)
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:46:23 PM »

Okay, I've got some long train rides coming up in the next few days, so I'm looking to expand the old PSP collection a little; as much fun as MLB '06 is, I want to mix it up a little more than just between my All-Star shortstop and my struggling AA pitcher.

So what recent releases would anyone recommend?  On my radar are:
Exit: Looks fun for a platformer (not my genre of choice), but how's the replayability/variety?
Virtua Tennis: Played this a little on a friend's PSP, wasn't uber-impressed, but I hear raves about it.  Do I just not 'get' it, or do I need to give it time?
Syphon Filter:  Hoping my girlfriend could get into this one too, since she likes Splinter Cell, but how's the replayability?  I'd like my PSP collection to be things I can pick up and play well down the road, not one-time gaming flings.
WRC Rally Championship - Love rally, but how's it translate to PSP?
OutRun 2 - Yet another racing game.  I like the idea of getting credit for ALL the miles I drive, but are there enough unlockables to make it worth it?
Worms:  Loved Armageddon, and it would be great fun to have a Worms game to pass back and forth to the girlfriend; is there decent enough AI to make it worth solo play if nobody's around, though?

Anything else new that should be on my radar and isn't?

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:02:14 PM »

The Worms AI is no better or worse than in previous versions.   The more stupid AI settings will cause it to injure itself, and the higher you go, the more accurate the grenade pitches get.  It's a great conversion of the game though. smile  I like having my Worms to go!

You know...I hate Virtua Tennis.  I just don't like how the players moce and control.  Oh well.

Go! Sudoku is a good title,  and has a lot of puzzle fun in it.  I've got Field Commander coming next week on release day because I was looking for more TBS fun...and I finished Metal Gear Ac!d 2.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 06:10:13 PM »

Daxter is at least worth a rental.  It's a great platformer.

X-Men Legends II is a very nice port of the action-RPG.  The only downside are the loading times which are not horrible but constantly irritating.

I just picked up Metal Gear Acid 2 based on the recent thread here.  I haven't put any time into it yet but everyone loved it in that thread.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 06:22:49 PM »

Another one I was interested in but never got around to:  Armored Core: Formula Front.  Does anyone have it, and how does it hold up?

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 06:24:22 PM »

May I suggest Breath of Fire 3 (euro version)

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=353&products_id=8598&

I picked it up and I'm loving it, I hadn't played the playstation version so it's brand new experience of a great series of rpg's.

Ascendent
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
May I suggest Breath of Fire 3 (euro version)

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=353&products_id=8598&

I picked it up and I'm loving it, I hadn't played the playstation version so it's brand new experience of a great series of rpg's.

Ascendent

Looks interesting, but I leave Thursday, so mainly looking for things I can acquire locally.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 07:51:37 PM »

If you pick up WRC Rally, I would like to hear some things about it.  It interests me but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on it quite yet.

I've been really enjoying Tales of Eternia.  But that's an import title which you can't get your hands on by Thursday.  Though, if you live close to a Frys, you might want to check there.

From my limited time of Daxter, it seems like a very polished and enjoyable game.

I'm not too impressed with Syphon Filter.  I just can't get into it.  It's a nice looking game with seemingly fairly high production values, but eh, just not my cup of tea.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 08:03:30 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
If you pick up WRC Rally, I would like to hear some things about it.  It interests me but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on it quite yet.

I've been really enjoying Tales of Eternia.  But that's an import title which you can't get your hands on by Thursday.  Though, if you live close to a Frys, you might want to check there.

From my limited time of Daxter, it seems like a very polished and enjoyable game.

I'm not too impressed with Syphon Filter.  I just can't get into it.  It's a nice looking game with seemingly fairly high production values, but eh, just not my cup of tea.

I'll second Tales of Eternia.  Not a bad game. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 08:27:04 PM »

Oh! If you don't mind upgrading to 2.7, get your hands on the Loco Roco demo. It's free and could easily provide an hour or more of entertainment.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
I'll second Tales of Eternia.  Not a bad game. smile

& i'll third tales of eternia - first tales game i've played that i've really had fun with (& just right for the psp)...

enjoyed exit, & stongly recommend mga2 (& the first one)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 01:10:27 AM »

Has anyone played Infection? A couple of guys from Gearbox were playing that on the flight out to LA and it seemed pretty slick. Thoughts?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 01:38:48 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Has anyone played Infection? A couple of guys from Gearbox were playing that on the flight out to LA and it seemed pretty slick. Thoughts?

Bleh.  I played it for about 2 hours.  It's ok but nothing great.  Just a very arcade-like shooter.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 01:04:25 PM »

Syphon Filter has excellent reply value. Once you finish a mission, you can go back and play it, and try to find the hidden stuff you most likely will miss the first time through, and try to get better rankings to open up a couple bonus missions.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 01:11:31 PM »

I have a 3 day trip planned for the weekend too, and tempted to bring the PSP.   Good thread smile.  I'm still not sure any of the games here tempt me.  I couldn't play the baseball game, MLB, for long periods because using the analog stick to pitch bothered my hands to much.

Any good games that let you control them with just the d-pad?  Maybe tennis?  

If I had to get one now, I'd go Virtua Tennis, as it seems to be $20, and that's a lot cheaper then getting Metal Gear Acid 2 at $40.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 01:16:35 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Heck, I've not even seen that one on shelves here in D/FW....I'll have to look it up. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »

Not a newer game but Hot Shots Golf is still my favorite game on the platform (my overall GOTY last year). Wonderful for whiling away the hours...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 02:56:14 PM »

Hot Shots is also good for travel, because the bright colors work under a variety of lighting conditions. Darker games are hard to play, say, in a car when there's sunlight.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 05:44:07 PM »

I finally started up Metal Gear Acid 2 after the recent thread and that would be my choice if you like turn-based strategy and/or collectable card games.  The first game is probably cheaper but MGA2 is so much more polished and user friendly than the first game it's probably best just to jump right in with the second title.  

Very portable friendly too- save anywhere, minimal load times, and the turn based gameplay makes it easy to divert your attention elsewhere when needed.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 05:54:14 PM »

I ended up picking up Armored Core, since I found it cheap and it had intruiged me for a while (also one of the more likely titles to become hard to find if I want it down the road).  Hot Shots Golf is amazing, but I overplayed it for a while near launch and still haven't had the itch to pick it up for a while.  And I couldn't get into the first MGA at all, so I'm not banking on MGA2 providing me with much excitement.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 06:11:01 PM »

As an aside, the first MGA is a poor choice for traveling if you expect to be in bright conditions. The colors are very dark.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 07:37:54 PM »

If you don't have Lumines, get it.  It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's worth it.  I could play that game all day.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
If you don't have Lumines, get it.  It takes a little while to get the hang of it, but once you do, it's worth it.  I could play that game all day.

I really enjoy Lumines too.  My only gripe is how long games can get when playing through the "unlock a skin" mode.  Granted I'm not even anywhere NEAR being great at the game, but I recently finished up a 45 minute game.  Sure you can just plug it into sleep mode, but still!

You can find Lumines for fairly cheap as well.  Heck, even Blockbuster has some used copies selling for only $15.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

My only gripe is how long games can get when playing through the "unlock a skin" mode.

That killed Lumines for me too.  I didn't want to play 10+ minutes to get through the first few levels over and over.  I think Lumines is to slow in that regard.  Tetris seemed to get harder a lot faster, and was more addictive because of it.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 01:42:02 AM »

Well, Armored Core did the trick for me.  It's basically a garage game for mechs; you get five frames to work with, and about a dozen part categories with 20-40 parts each to swap in and out.  You also get to most types of parts in different categories (for example, making it lighter), tune the A.I. in three different ways (base characteristics, performance in different categories, and specialized 'operations chips'), and if you want, use the entirely frustrating manual control (not recommended, even by the game).

It's definitely a game that plays to the PSP's strengths, as you spend most of your time in the (very attractive) menus, although the mech battles have quite competent graphics as well.  I think I'll put a lot of time in on this during longer trips, and it breaks up my MLB '06 sessions enough that I don't think I'll bore of either one quickly.

If you're interested in mechs at all, this one is worth picking up, even though there's not a coherent campaign (it's a sports-themed set of 1-on-1 league battles) or any larger-scale encounters with objectives.  You might want to do it soonish, too, as I expect this one to get even harder to find as time goes by.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2006, 12:15:04 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Hot Shots is also good for travel, because the bright colors work under a variety of lighting conditions. Darker games are hard to play, say, in a car when there's sunlight.

Hot Shots Golf FTW!

I'm gonna juice up my PSP right now!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 12:30:16 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
My only gripe is how long games can get when playing through the "unlock a skin" mode.

That killed Lumines for me too.  I didn't want to play 10+ minutes to get through the first few levels over and over.  I think Lumines is to slow in that regard.  Tetris seemed to get harder a lot faster, and was more addictive because of it.

I'm waiting to see if they include the ability to start at a particular skin with Lumines 2.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 11:52:17 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to play this for a while and was on a trip last week near a Fry's so I stopped in to check. Lo and behold they had a copy. I never would've thought to look for this there without your tip.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 03:44:24 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to play this for a while and was on a trip last week near a Fry's so I stopped in to check. Lo and behold they had a copy. I never would've thought to look for this there without your tip.

Awesome glad to hear it!  Still plugging away - it's a super accessible RPG (save anywhere!) with practically no load times and good clean fun.

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 06:50:26 AM »

Brief impressions of World Rally Championship.

Graphics are good, but the framerate suffers (I don't think it runs at 30fps, could be just in the 20s).

Depth of the game is questionable: there are plenty of tracks, but the game modes don't seem all that different.

Controls: I don't use the analog nub and it controls fine with digital controls.

Physics: pretty good, but some crash dynamics are off, which can spin your car in quite outrageous ways. Overall, comparable to Colin McRae on consoles and nowhere near Richard Burns.

Difficulty: Hard. Even on the novice level, I can place no higher than 8th. There are 4 levels of difficulty, two of which are locked at the beginning. Maybe I need time to get used to the game.

I'm reluctant to give the game a grade yet because of the lack of time spent on it, but I would say get it only if you are a rally fan. It's a gorgeous racer, but I fear the fun factor may be missing. I bought this used for $10 off the MSRP. I feel that is about the right price for me because I'm a fan of racing in general, but not rallying in particular.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: