http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 04:09:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PSP exploit to be released tomorrow morning!  (Read 4787 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 08:49:08 PM »

And I really shouldn't be mentioning it, but the first step towards true 'piracy' on the PSP has come to light - you can now dump UMDs onto your memory card.

I haven't done it myself, but based on what I read, the current program requires you to have the actual UMD in the drive in order to play it (some kind of check system implimented by the devs of the program). But you can dump and play the UMD on your memory card.

Wonder how that would improve load performance of some of the more 'load-intensive' games?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2005, 03:17:02 PM »

Anyone know the difference between Memory Sticks Pro Duo and the Ultra II variant?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Anyone know the difference between Memory Sticks Pro Duo and the Ultra II variant?

The technical answer is that the Ultra II variant is 'faster' than the more 'normal' one.

In reality, normally the difference in speed is barely noticable unless you're using a USB 2 transfer device to transfer large amounts of data.

In short - unless you have lots of cash lying around, go with the cheaper one. The PSP won't be able to take advantage of the speed (or at least you won't notice it), and you'll only see the advantage when copying 512MB movies onto your memory card.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2005, 05:51:59 PM »

Nothing quite like replying to one's own post, but I felt like commenting upon this.

I've 'transfered' my purchased copy of Wipeout Pure to the memory card, and I have to say I'm very impressed at what the hacker community has done to the console.

Why am I impressed? My biggest complaint about the PSP (loading times) is all but void when the game is dumped to the card. Levels load up almost instantly, and the game itself boots just as fast. It's still no GBA game as far as loading time goes, but it's a TON better overall. It should also (in theory) cut back on battery use.

In short - it turns the PSP into a great 'sit down and play for a few minutes' console.

I for one would LOVE for Sony to offer this legally. For those of us with 1GB cards, most games should be able to fit onto it. Sure, you could only have one title at a time loaded, but I'd be fine with that.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2005, 11:57:58 PM »

I would love to be able to play Fifa like that. my biggest problem is the long loading times. Might actually make Midnight Club 3 playable. I'm thinking of getting a 2gig card tomorrow, mainly because the first version of ScummVM is supposed to be available this weekend. Of course it depends on how much it costs. But having all of Lucusarts finest adventures on one card is mighty tempting.

And apparently there is a loader available so that I will be able to play GTA:PSP and Burnout without upgrading. The hackers will be doing SOny a favour, as I wouldn't buy those games otherwise.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2005, 02:04:08 PM »

Beneath a Steel Sky, the old Amiga game is now playable on PSP (from the lads that did Broken Sword). The game is freeware, so it should be very easy to find. (hint)

http://www.scummvm.org/

Edited to add that ScummVM is now available for PSP. PLayed Sam and Max, and it looks great. The size of the screen means that it doesn't look dated. Crashes a lot, but it's early days.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2005, 04:12:30 PM »

Me again. The game wasn't crashing, it was autosaving. It works perfectly. Sam and Max is ideal on the PSP as there is no text. It's all spoken. Absolutely amazing. Found my copys of Full Throttle and DOTT, and I hope tomorrow to buy a 2 gig memory card. Future versions will include support for the Broken Sword games. If u have a copy of any of these games, and a big enough mem stick, give it a try.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2005, 04:31:47 PM »

Sam and Max....on the PSP?  Ohhhhh my. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2005, 08:41:44 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Sam and Max....on the PSP?  Ohhhhh my. smile

Yup. That and a few more SCUMM titles as well. I gotta find my old games. They're somewhere around here...

Amazing what the old PSP can do, no? biggrin

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2005, 03:11:22 PM »

Want to be able to watch PSP without using your hands????

http://www.pspupdates.com/2005/07/homemade-psp-hands-free-system.html#comments

(One of the funniest things I've seen in awhile)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2005, 04:17:36 AM »

ScummVM is now available for PSP

I couldn't find it on the site (though it is late, and I may have just missed it).

Does my PSP have to be at 1.50 for it to work?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2005, 07:55:33 AM »

Newest version, beta 3 is here;

http://files.pspupdates.com/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,47,847

It now supports Monkey Island 3, Broken Sword 1 and 2 (without cutscenes)

The basic version is for version 1, you have to use the kploit for 1.5.
I managed to get DOTT and Sam Max down to about 100mb by using the extract tools on the monster.sou file. On my 512 card I have Monkey Island 1 and 2, Beneath a Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Sam and Max and Day of the Tenticle. Full Throttle also works perfectly now.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »

There's something beautiful about playing The Dig on my PSP.

Now I'm trying to compress my speech versions of Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, and Indiana Jones so I can cram them into my memory card, and still have some space left over.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2005, 07:29:13 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Now I'm trying to compress my speech versions of Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, and Indiana Jones so I can cram them into my memory card, and still have some space left over.

Let me know if you can pull it off, and how you did it in the first place. I really don't know what/how to cut out of the old Scumm titles to compress them.

Although, with my 1GB card, I shouldn't have too many problems. Unfortunately it's kinda full with other games already.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2005, 10:16:20 PM »

Sam and Max and DOTT are pretty easy to compress. Get the tools from ScummVM, and use Extract.exe to compress the file. It occurs automatically. You need to use the dos prompt though  (go to run, type in cmd). Get Lame and put lame in the same folder as the tools, Lets say c:\tools Then from the dos promt type cd:\, cd:\tools, extract.exe c:\tool\monster.sou   (The monster.sou being the sound file from the cd) On Sam and Max it was aronnd 180 mb). It should be automatic. Do the same thing for every monster.sou file, and swap the new file for it.

Or you can try Scummvm quick and easy, and right click on the icon on the top. The ultilities option includes an automatic compressor.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software.php
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2005, 10:48:18 PM »

Yup. They become quite manageable. It's The Dig that really needs some compressing. Damn thing takes more than 600MB of my precious memory card. Unfortunately, that isn't quite as simple as the rest.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: