http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:05:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PSP exploit to be released tomorrow morning!  (Read 4793 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, a new exploit is going to be released tomorrow morning, one that many expect will require no swapping of memory sticks!  Some are guessing that this may be a possible firmware downgrade.  Either way, no swapping would be cool.

AND......

I went to my usual PSP homebrew sites this morning, and what do I see on the main page?  Thats right, a GBA emulator!  YES GBA!  Unfortunately at this time it runs extremely slow.  

The PSP homebrew scene rocks!

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »

If they enable me to utilise the PSP for homebrew, I won't be buying any future games, as one of the main reasons I brought the PSP was for emulation. Forcing me to upgrade isn't going to happen. Then again, Sony being such gits lately doesn't make me want to give them money.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=59719
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:19:28 AM »

This is very good thing to say, the Sony guy (David Reeves) knows the business-
"Companies go bankrupt with too much stock - even companies like Sony," he commented, "but never with too little. We will continue to be cautious... But we will do whatever we can [for retailers]. It costs UKP 8 to airfreight a PS2 to Europe - we airfreighted three million of them in last year, and we'll do that again if we have to."

People need to consider the worries of the 'business' side people, both in hardware and software (cough... Blizzard... cough).  It's impossible to predict success, and companies have bankrupted themself by overestimating demand (like Atari).
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:21:18 AM »

You want a laugh, read the comments section. SOny is losing all support in Europe, and Microsoft is doing all the right things. I really do wonder if Sony have a clue.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »

Holy crap, the new exploit works like a charm! No more swapping!!!!
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 01:55:41 PM »

That's brilliant. So easy to use.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »

Who would've figured all it would take is a single letter change, eh?

Now all we need are some better built emulators (not that I'm complaining about what's out there now, but there is plenty of room for improvement), and the PSP will be the best emulation machine out there.

I'm more than happy with my purchase now. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 02:25:05 PM »

The new Snes emulator works very well. I've been playing Ultima 7 and Final Fantasy (though with frameskip 3 and 333mhz) and they work great.
At last RPGs on the PSP :lol:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »

So tell me....how is Super Punch Out?   Anyone?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 02:54:12 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
So tell me....how is Super Punch Out?   Anyone?

If you set the mhz at 333 and the frame skip at 2 or 3, the game runs beautifully. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 03:02:32 PM »

Excellent.....and Punch Out on the NES?

(Don't know why, but I am just obsessed with that game. hehehe)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 03:09:55 PM »

I am still pissed I upgraded out of 1.50.  I didn't know this whole thing was brewing in the background and now I am SOL.  Darn my desire to always have the latest upgrades.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 03:27:29 PM »

I am having trouble getting this to work.  I have the 1.50 firmware and when I select the emulator or program to work it shows the psp boot screen then goes black then sends me back to the psp menu screen.

Any help?

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 03:33:58 PM »

Try the already formatted emulators. Then just copy the 2 folders, along with the roms in the folder that doesn't have %, and your good to go.

There's a homebrew pack here;

http://www.psphacker.com/
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 03:48:48 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I am still pissed I upgraded out of 1.50.  I didn't know this whole thing was brewing in the background and now I am SOL.  Darn my desire to always have the latest upgrades.

I read there either there is, or someone is working on, a way to downgrade the firmware.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 03:53:24 PM »

I am still pissed I upgraded out of 1.50. I didn't know this whole thing was brewing in the background and now I am SOL. Darn my desire to always have the latest upgrades.

Same here.  And I upgraded, like, the day before I found out about this.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 04:24:42 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Try the already formatted emulators. Then just copy the 2 folders, along with the roms in the folder that doesn't have %, and your good to go.

There's a homebrew pack here;

http://www.psphacker.com/

Thanks I got the nes and snes emu to work I will have to download that homebrew pack later when I am at home.  !!!Websense!!!!

Thanks,

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 08:10:34 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Excellent.....and Punch Out on the NES?

(Don't know why, but I am just obsessed with that game. hehehe)

You Punch Out freak you. biggrin

Okay, here's the current rundown from what I know:

1) NES plays nearly perfectly. Save states, standard saving, the whole kabang.
2) GB/GBC works, but it's somewhat slow. Don't know about any other features.
3) GBA just popped live yesterday, and it's very slow, has no sound, etc.
4) Genesis works with an auto frame skip (but it seems to play 1:1 nearly all the time), and plays about 90% perfect against the real thing. No save states or saves yet.
5) SNES is slow (needs 3-4 frames skipped per one displayed to get a playable frame rate), but offers high compatibility (as it's based on the SNES9X core) and save states as well as normal saves.

I know there's a few more emulators out there, but those are the big ones I know off the top of my head.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 08:38:09 PM »

It looks as if Scumm could be coming to PSP. The genesis emu works great, was playing Speedball 2 and it was perfect.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 08:59:35 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, a new exploit is going to be released tomorrow morning, one that many expect will require no swapping of memory sticks!  Some are guessing that this may be a possible firmware downgrade.  Either way, no swapping would be cool.

AND......

I went to my usual PSP homebrew sites this morning, and what do I see on the main page?  Thats right, a GBA emulator!  YES GBA!  Unfortunately at this time it runs extremely slow.  

The PSP homebrew scene rocks!

LOL!  Why not just use a GBA to play GBA games?
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 01:38:37 AM »

So you dont have to carry a GBA, for one.  For another, you can fit a bunch of cartridges on a memory card.

Plus, it isnt always about the reason, it's usually about the ability to do it.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2005, 03:13:46 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
So you dont have to carry a GBA, for one.  For another, you can fit a bunch of cartridges on a memory card.

Exactly, and I do have a DS to play GBA games.  It is more just for the fact that I can do it.  And that way I dont have to haul two portables along if I'm not going to be playing any DS games.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2005, 01:17:28 PM »

Exactly, and I do have a DS to play GBA games.  It is more just for the fact that I can do it.  And that way I dont have to haul two portables along if I'm not going to be playing any DS games.

So where do you get the games from?  Surely you're not advocating piracy here? :lol:
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2005, 11:28:26 PM »

There are devices you can use to 'dump' your GBA cartridges to a file.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 03:24:43 AM »

So where do you get the games from? Surely you're not advocating piracy here?

As I understand it, that's a moot point, as getting or having the ROM and owning the game at the same time is not piracy and is legal.

Or am I wrong?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 12:23:36 PM »

I asked this a while ago regarding music, and nobody really had a good answer.

My idea was to get MP3s for all the music I have on tape, but according to people I asked, it would be ok to take the music FROM the tape and put it on an MP3, but getting it from the internet could be seen as bad, because the quality could be better.  

So Im just going without; I'll be damned if Im paying twice for the same music.  My radio/cd/tape player turned out to be a really good buy after all.

At any rate, it's hard to say about downloading pirated content to fulfill your fair use rights.  I imagine you could probably make a good defense in court, but would you really want to end up in court over it?
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »

Coded Arms apparently forces a software upgrade before it will run.

Edit: while it does force an upgrade, it only requires 1.50.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Drum
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 05:27:17 PM »

What?  Speedball2?  Ok, now I must get the PSP ^^

mmmmh....Speedball 2.....
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 08:06:22 PM »

On the Genesis emu. It runs perfectly, but it doesn't save. Still great fun, and it runs a lot better then the GBA version.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2005, 12:59:42 AM »

On the Genesis emu. It runs perfectly, but it doesn't save. Still great fun, and it runs a lot better then the GBA version.

The latest version does offer battery save. Not fully working yet, but it's somewhat there.

And as far as Coded Arms goes - that doesn't make any sense. The US PSP already is version 1.50. What does it upgrade to if it requires an upgrade yet still somehow runs on a 1.50 console?

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »

My idea was to get MP3s for all the music I have on tape, but according to people I asked, it would be ok to take the music FROM the tape and put it on an MP3, but getting it from the internet could be seen as bad, because the quality could be better.  

So Im just going without; I'll be damned if Im paying twice for the same music.  My radio/cd/tape player turned out to be a really good buy after all.

At any rate, it's hard to say about downloading pirated content to fulfill your fair use rights.  I imagine you could probably make a good defense in court, but would you really want to end up in court over it?

Well the reason I asked is because it sounds like you have people that will be playing Nintendo DS games on their PSP without even owning a DS system or the games for that matter.
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2005, 08:52:36 AM »

Im not really sure why I was quoted; that didnt seem to be a response to anything I said.  So I guess I have nothing to add  Tongue

But I guess to expand on what I said, having the ROM in and of itself isnt illegal if you actually own the cartridge.  Not owning the DS is immaterial; Im sure they would love to legally restrict the playing of their cartridges to only platforms they authorize, but our fair use laws are way too liberal to allow something like that (and hopefully will remain so).
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2005, 11:08:36 AM »

Quote from: "The_Man"

Well the reason I asked is because it sounds like you have people that will be playing Nintendo DS games on their PSP without even owning a DS system or the games for that matter.

Have you ever played a DS game? I doubt that it could managed on PSP, especially the likes of Yoshi. And since the DS is selling a lot better then the PSP, I doubt that's going to be an issue.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005, 02:28:19 PM »

Have you ever played a DS game? I doubt that it could managed on PSP, especially the likes of Yoshi. And since the DS is selling a lot better then the PSP, I doubt that's going to be an issue.

Yeah, all 3 of my kids have a DS.  I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any DS games that REQUIRE you to use the touch screen.  I may be wrong and if I am, forgive me.  So I'm guessing if you run DS games on the PSP, you would just see what's on the main gameplay screen.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2005, 03:55:36 PM »

But I guess to expand on what I said, having the ROM in and of itself isnt illegal if you actually own the cartridge.  Not owning the DS is immaterial; Im sure they would love to legally restrict the playing of their cartridges to only platforms they authorize, but our fair use laws are way too liberal to allow something like that (and hopefully will remain so).

This gets said a lot on the Intarweb, but is it actually true? If you slog through Nintendo's legal pages, they say it is not, but then they are a wee bit biased on the matter (while we're at it, there's no truth to the "okay to test-play for 24 hours" theory either). I suppose if you had a way of getting the ROM off YOUR cartridge (done via Flashcart with GBA games, for example), you could still claim ownership, but wouldn't downloading from the Internet negate that argument? And aren't you buying an NES game to play on your NES, not an NES ROM to play on whatever illegally-modified (hacked) platform you prefer to play for convenience sake? I take a certain hypocritical stance on some of my music downloading because, damnit, I already bought that music on LP and/or tape, but that doesn't make it right, nor legal.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2005, 04:47:02 PM »

Yeah, all 3 of my kids have a DS.  I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any DS games that REQUIRE you to use the touch screen.  I may be wrong and if I am, forgive me.  So I'm guessing if you run DS games on the PSP, you would just see what's on the main gameplay screen.

I just don't see why anyone would want to play DS games (2 screens) on a PSP. And 2 of the games I got, Wario and Yoshi touch and Go are mainly controlled with the pen, not to mention having to use the microphone.

Anyway, after playing the Duke Nuke Em level, I was wondering if I can use the wads from the original game and insert them into the PSP. Could I then play the whole game? I've no interest in Doom 1 and 2 as I've played them on GBA, but I also have Blood and Shadow Warrior on original, and it would be great to play them again.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2005, 05:20:10 PM »

I just don't see why anyone would want to play DS games (2 screens) on a PSP. And 2 of the games I got, Wario and Yoshi touch and Go are mainly controlled with the pen, not to mention having to use the microphone.

Anyway, after playing the Duke Nuke Em level, I was wondering if I can use the wads from the original game and insert them into the PSP. Could I then play the whole game? I've no interest in Doom 1 and 2 as I've played them on GBA, but I also have Blood and Shadow Warrior on original, and it would be great to play them again.

I believe there is a way to use the WADs from the original game, I thought I remember seeing it somewhere, I will look when I get home from work tonight.  And about the DS thing, it will never be emulated on a psp.  I dont believe that a DS emulator could run even near full speed and why the hell would anyone want it without a touch screen?  I think the highest the emulation scene will go on the PSP is the SNES and MAME.  I highly doubt we will see anything that can run near perfect speeds for the N64 or PSX.  Who knows though, I am amazed by what has been done aleady in just a matter of weeks.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2005, 06:22:49 PM »

I believe there is a way to use the WADs from the original game, I thought I remember seeing it somewhere, I will look when I get home from work tonight.  And about the DS thing, it will never be emulated on a psp.  I dont believe that a DS emulator could run even near full speed and why the hell would anyone want it without a touch screen?  I think the highest the emulation scene will go on the PSP is the SNES and MAME.  I highly doubt we will see anything that can run near perfect speeds for the N64 or PSX.  Who knows though, I am amazed by what has been done aleady in just a matter of weeks.

From what I've read, yes, you can use other WADs on the Doom emulator. The final, real game WAD (the purchasable Doom 1 and 2) won't run under the emulator, but quite a few of the freebie WADs there out there do work.

And I'll agree with GatorFavre here - the most advanced consoles we'll see under emulation on the PSP is SNES/MAME (limited on the MAME side - older games mainly). Remember - the emulators are basically brute-forcing themselves to work (unless the coders get ahold of a dev kit or something for more advanced functions), so processor speed is primary.

That's why so many emulators override the 'standard' (or more limited) 222mhz processor to its normal 333mhz speed. Makes a rather large difference.

Technically though, the console is slightly more powerful (adding in all the components and such) than the PS2. Once it's at 333mhz, anyway.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2005, 06:55:49 PM »

I don't think I actually have Doom 2, as it came on disks and I don't have a disk drive any more. It's probably in the celler.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2005, 05:34:11 PM »

Look's like Scumm is coming to PSP;

'With the release of the open source PSPSDK by mr brown et all at ps2dec.org, we have started to port ScummVM to PSP in earnest. See ya soon with a port! smile'

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1305556&forum_id=115756

Full Trottle, Sam and Max, DOTT, Monkey Island, Broken Sword 1 and 2 all on PSP. I won't be updating my firmware in the near future.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: