http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:51:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PS3/PSP Info (Who is this guy?)  (Read 1193 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »

I don't know if I'd read into everything this guy says as if it were the holy truth, but it certainly has gained an audience and has sparked some more PS3 interest in me.. (Though I'm still not paying $599!  icon_biggrin)

Those DVDs you love so much, they’re the reason PS3 games are going to fucking destroy anything available on the 360. 85% of the games currently in development for PS3 will not fit on a single DVD9. To give you an idea of the implications, Resistance: Fall of Man is currently 20GB, and could be around 35GB once cinematics and things are added.

There was a demo, side by side, of an upcoming sports game (can't tell you which one). One was playing on 360 (DVD9) connected to an HDTV running at 720P. The same game was running on a PS3 (BD50) on an identical HDTV at 720P. The differences were unbelievable, simply because the BD has the space to hold all those extremely high resolution textures. The 360 could probably handle them, but they just plain won't fit on the disc. This is just one example of how storage capacity is hurting the 360. Of the parade of developers that spoke to us, the BDs capacity was the number one item of praise. No more having to cut corners or find creative ways to make your game fit on the disc. DVDs are just plain obsolete when you're talking about High-Definition hyper-detailed 3D environments.

On a similar note, those of you rooting for HD-DVD as the High-Def standard might want to start selling your stuff while it’s worth something. The format war was basically decided before it even reached store shelves. 80% of the major manufacturing plants have already adopted Blu-Ray. There’s also the small matter of Sony owning, directly or indirectly, nearly half of the movie industry.

There is a full featured web browser and the PS3 will have native Keyboard and Mouse support, although Sony will not be making any 1st party Mice or Keyboards for the system. As for using those peripherals in games, it’s entirely up to the developers but Sony is not disallowing it.

You know about the disaster that was UMD movies? Well there’s a reason for that. Usually Sony works with companies who license their products and lay down certain ground rules (pricing, features, etc). With UMD, they had a hands-off approach and movie studios just started releasing every piece of shit movie in their vault, without special features, at highly inflated prices. Sony is not happy about this at all and is going to try to jump start the UMD movie scene again (could take up to a year) by requiring that releases meet certain guidelines. Guidelines may include an MSRP limit of $15 and that UMDs include all the special features of their DVD equivalents. It’s possible that it may be too late to save, but Sony has a lot of muscle and the PSPs multimedia features are its biggest selling points… especially considering the target consumer is a male between the ages of 21 and 40.

There's a lot more to that post.. again there's no way to know if this stuff is true or not (like him saying Oblivion for 360 didn't have enough space so they had to cut corners, but a PS3 version is in the works) but an interesting read in any case.

Source: http://genmay.com/showthread.php?t=667429

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:10:38 PM »

Anyone who uses the term "fucking destroy" in a post is no where near official and is nothing more than a crazy fan.  I will believe it when I see it.

Also as an aside, if the DVD was an issue for Oblivion, odd how the PC game is identical, no reason for it to be if the DVD storage were such an issue, they could have just made it multidisk install for PC.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:12:23 PM by Arkon » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:13:20 PM »

Those DVDs you love so much, they’re the reason PS3 games are going to fucking destroy anything available on the 360. 85% of the games currently in development for PS3 will not fit on a single DVD9. To give you an idea of the implications, Resistance: Fall of Man is currently 20GB, and could be around 35GB once cinematics and things are added.

Aren't programmers complaining that programming for the PS3 is a pain in the ass?  Anyone want to bet that things are that big because they can't properly compress stuff?  Otherwise that game is going to have real life graphics and be about 60 hours long  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:14:35 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 30, 2006, 02:10:38 PM

Anyone who uses the term "fucking destroy" in a post is no where near official and is nothing more than a crazy fan.  I will believe it when I see it.
Yeup, I stopped reading there too.

Following the link is hilarious.  You forgot to include the guy's disclaimer, corrupt--

Note: This post is by no means unbiased. I make no warranty that what I have to say will not piss you off – especially if you’re a one-company fanboy whore. I’ll answer questions and I'll share what I know… but I’m not going to argue with the retards lurking in the Games forum shadows… especially when I am way more informed than you are*. Believe that or not (it's a fact), I don’t give a flying fuck what some pimple faced punk in the digital jungle thinks. This is a favor for those who appreciate it. Hence, if you do not appreciate inside information, then do us all a favor and fuck off.

How mature.  I'm inclined not to get a PS3 just to spite this fuckwit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:16:29 PM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 02:16:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2006, 02:13:20 PM

Aren't programmers complaining that programming for the PS3 is a pain in the ass?  Anyone want to bet that things are that big because they can't properly compress stuff?  Otherwise that game is going to have real life graphics and be about 60 hours long  icon_wink

I'd guess it's just more of an issue of not worrying about it since there is no need to try and make the game to fit in 7 GB.  I'm sure that most of these games could fit on a single DVD, if it was required.  Also, I've read that filling up the discs with redundant data can really help load times but I'm not sure how accurate that is. 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »

Also he says...

Quote from: Some jackass
The PS3 is shipping with all 8 cores enabled (1PPE + 7 SPEs). Reports of SPEs “dying” are just plain rubbish

Wasn't there a report from the producer of the cell processors that an 8 core cell with all 8 enabled would only be for things like military, scientific and medical use and that the yield on a fully functional 8 core cell was only 10%?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »

Jesus on the cross, prepare to lose some serious sanity if you try to read that thread, or worse yet, look over the rest of the forum.  It's idiocy on a scale unseen since the glory days of IGN.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 30, 2006, 02:18:44 PM

Also he says...

The PS3 is shipping with all 8 cores enabled (1PPE + 7 SPEs). Reports of SPEs “dying” are just plain rubbish

Wasn't there a report from the producer of the cell processors that an 8 core cell with all 8 enabled would only be for things like military, scientific and medical use and that the yield on a fully functional 8 core cell was only 10%?

Heh, I remember when the PS2 came out there were rumors about  import/export issues it was causing as it could be used in military applications  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2006, 02:27:00 PM

Also he says...

Heh, I remember when the PS2 came out there were rumors about  import/export issues it was causing as it could be used in military applications  icon_lol

I remember that as well.  I think the point of this was that Sony only needed 7 cores enabled.  The manufacturers were setting aside the 8 core chips for things like medical use and that the yield on a fully functional 8 core processor was absurdly low at 10%.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 02:30:33 PM »

Also he says...

You're a better man for me for reading this thing, but he's right and he's wrong.  There are indeed 8 processors in the PS3- 1 PPE and 7 SPEs like he said, but he's confusing that with the fact that cell can technically have up to 8 SPEs on one chips and the PS3s are only getting chips that yielded 7 usable SPEs. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 30, 2006, 02:14:35 PM

Following the link is hilarious.  You forgot to include the guy's disclaimer, corrupt--

Note: This post is by no means unbiased. I make no warranty that what I have to say will not piss you off – especially if you’re a one-company fanboy whore. I’ll answer questions and I'll share what I know… but I’m not going to argue with the retards lurking in the Games forum shadows… especially when I am way more informed than you are*. Believe that or not (it's a fact), I don’t give a flying fuck what some pimple faced punk in the digital jungle thinks. This is a favor for those who appreciate it. Hence, if you do not appreciate inside information, then do us all a favor and fuck off.

How mature.  I'm inclined not to get a PS3 just to spite this fuckwit.

With lines like the one bolded above, you'd think it's Kutaragi himself droppin' this inside info... okay, maybe not. It's probably gone through their Superliminal Message Creator that is in charge of PR.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »

Gonna take more for the team here by reading further...

Quote from: Still the same jackass in response to the Oblivion stuff
A lot of people were totally ecstatic about this. As a PC gamer, and someone who already has Oblivion, I was just pissed off. Like I said, most companies develop for the lowest common denominator, and it's important to Microsoft that PCs don't upstage the Xbox. Now here's the bad thing - PC gamers won't get shit out of this. Some time in the distant future, after two major expansion packs, PC gamers may get a special edition with the new high-res textures on 4 DVDs... but I since Bethesda already made their money in that market segment, I wouldn't expect it at all.

Kathode any comment?  I call BS personally on this.

Quote from: Still the same jackass in response to questions about rumble
Nope. There's lots of reasons for that, including the ongoing lawsuit. There's also the matter of the controller being absolutely packed. The PS3 is using more sensitive equipment than the Wii and takes up more space in the controller casing. Personally, I always felt that rumble was a completely worthless feature, so it's not really a big deal either way.

Yeah, I am sure the last minute change to motion sensing in the controller is far superior to the Wii remote, and sorry but rumble when used correctly is a tremendous feature.

Quote from: Still the same jackass showing his intelligence with his language skills
We were shown Silent Hill on BluRay at 1080p, and it looked fan-fucking-tastic. The PS3 controller was acting as the remote control but there are plans to release a "normal" remote as well (although it was not shown). Likewise, if the PS3 and PSP are on the same network, the PSP can be used as a super-remote.

PSP as a super remote, talk about unwieldy.  Oh he also claims somewhere in the thread that the PSP has outsold the DS, but then uses PSP shipped units compated to DS sold units.

Quote from: blah blah blah
Since there are no PS2 controller ports on the PS3, PS2 controllers will not work. USB devices should have no problem functioning on the PS3, however. Since Guitar Hero uses a standard PS2 port instead of USB, it will not work on PS3. Here's hoping GH2 introduces a USB controller.

Well that sure sucks, I guess 100% BC isn't possible then.

Most of the rest of the thread devolves into flaming, and some good questions but negative towards sony which get ignored.  Oh well, I am now much much dumber for having read all 25 pages of that.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:55:15 PM by Arkon » Logged
stuntgibbon
Game Dev
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 03:25:41 PM »

The bajillion dollar question is not whether or not a developer can fill up a disc or if a movie looks any different in a side by side comparison in 720p or 1080p to a home theater enthusiast.    It's if the 70 million people that buy PS2s care if their discs are larger if the games are more or less the same experience or if they'll even be also excited to also start buying HD films.      (sorta like forcing two upgrades at once.. usually it's just upgrading for the games, now people are going to look at their 100-200 dvds and maybe not want to rebuy half of 'em again)

The idea that Sony owns half the movie industry, therefore their movie format will win is silly.  Most parts of Sony function as their own company.  Sony Electronics doesn't call the shots at Sony Pictures or Sony Music.   I'm sure they do comminicate on certain things, but as we see from the Epic/Sony Music deal with Xbox 360, they're not always just going to jump to one side.

Another scenario, which both of these companies seem to ignore is that with the markets for things like Tivo, DirecTV and Netflix so big..  new disc standards may not even turn out to be the winners either.  What if Tivo brought out a home teraserver with a service to download any movie you want in HD for a monthly charge.  Obviously large files, so you'd basically set up what movie you want to watch and it'd be there by morning.  (sorta similar to the Netflix plan, really)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 03:45:03 PM »

This guy is so absurd, so completely full of shit, and so idiotic its not even funny. I can't believe I just read that post. My god. I mean, when he says 80% of manufacturing plants have switched to Blu-Ray (clearly, completely false) you can tell he is just a blind, incredibly arrogant fanboy prick trying to make a name for himself. Hell, I like Sony products, but this crap is absurd.

"Sony owns half the movie business so Blu-Ray wins". Sony Pictures overall has taken several monster losses in the last few years and has been bolstered by a few hits in the last year. It by no means controls half the industry and probably isnt a top 3 player in Hollywood. When 3 of the guys first 4 points are bald faced lies or misinformation, I think its safe to just stop. I should have.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 05:53:24 PM »

As a total whore PS2 fanboy, I'm thinking, "Kid, do everyone (including yourself) a favor and STFU!!"  And yes, I love the inst-facts as well.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 08:33:50 PM »

Also he says...

Well, as someone who evaluated the cell processor for some of the uses you mentioned, I can say that it sounds about right (although we were never able to get a hands on sample for an 8 cell, just the spec sheets).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 02:33:16 AM »

I really don't think the disc limitations will affect Microsoft until the end of the lifecycle. Most games will just move to 2 DVDs if necessary, and that will still be cheaper than producing 1 blu-ray disc. I never had a problem <GASP!> switching to the second disc on resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 03:23:47 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 31, 2006, 02:33:16 AM

I really don't think the disc limitations will affect Microsoft until the end of the lifecycle. Most games will just move to 2 DVDs if necessary, and that will still be cheaper than producing 1 blu-ray disc. I never had a problem <GASP!> switching to the second disc on resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube.

Which is fine for a more or less linear game like Resident Evil 4.  But what about something like Oblivion?  Exactly where would you switch a disk?  Have one half of the map be one disc and the other half be disc 2?  For an open, non-linear game multiple discs would be a huge annoyance.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 04:18:39 AM »

You know, these estimates on size are a little dumb at this point.  I'm sure Oblivion was massive before compressed.  Besides, the amount of space that a game takes on a disc certainly doesn't denote how fantastic the game will be.  If they made a 30GB ultra-mega-high-rez-1080p version of Fantavision...uh, its still Fantavision. 

Besides, I still recall The Bouncer.  I won't be fooled again.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 04:43:14 AM »

Quote from: warning on August 31, 2006, 03:23:47 AM

Which is fine for a more or less linear game like Resident Evil 4.  But what about something like Oblivion?  Exactly where would you switch a disk?  Have one half of the map be one disc and the other half be disc 2?  For an open, non-linear game multiple discs would be a huge annoyance.
It wouldn't be that hard, just have an obvious east/west divide on the game map.  With a map like World of Warcraft, for instance, you just have a different disc for each continent.  If you want a less severe divide, just make sure you have a neutral zone between discs (that is on both discs) so it isn't possible to switch back and forth if you happen to travel straddling the line.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 02:31:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 31, 2006, 04:43:14 AM

Quote from: warning on August 31, 2006, 03:23:47 AM

It wouldn't be that hard, just have an obvious east/west divide on the game map.  With a map like World of Warcraft, for instance, you just have a different disc for each continent.  If you want a less severe divide, just make sure you have a neutral zone between discs (that is on both discs) so it isn't possible to switch back and forth if you happen to travel straddling the line.

+1

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »

Considering Sony's current failure rate with BD-50 discs for MOVIES (they still aren't able to use them), I don't believe for one second that what this guy saw (if he even saw anything) was on a double layer BR disc.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 02:47:21 PM »

On a similar note, those of you rooting for HD-DVD as the High-Def standard might want to start selling your stuff while it’s worth something. The format war was basically decided before it even reached store shelves. 80% of the major manufacturing plants have already adopted Blu-Ray. There’s also the small matter of Sony owning, directly or indirectly, nearly half of the movie industry.

This I know for a fact is a lie.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 06:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 31, 2006, 04:18:39 AM

Besides, I still recall The Bouncer.  I won't be fooled again.

But the Bouncer was a fantastic... It's so much of a lie, I can't even finish the sentence without breaking out in laughter.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: