http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PS3 Questions  (Read 1908 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »

So even though I didn't deserve any more presents - my parents and my wife split the cost and bought me a PS3 for Christmas. Since I wasn't expecting it - I hadn't done much practical research on it  - so I hope some of you guys don't mind answering a few questions for me:

So far I've got two games for it - Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted. Were there any other games that people would strongly recommend picking up (understanding that I already had a 360 - so multiplatform titles were probably picked up earlier). I was curious about maybe trying out Resistance or Motorstorm.

The family also bought me the PS3 BluRay Remote control, which I haven't opened yet, because I wasn't sure if it was even necessary. It seems like I was able to start a BluRay movie using the PS3 controller. So should I return the remote or is there functionality there that I really need?

Any BluRay moves that I should absolutely go buy right now that will look absolutely stunning in 1080p?

I haven't hooked up the PS3 onto my wireless network yet. Is there anything I should do once I do? i.e. games to buy / download / etc

Mucho Thanks
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 29, 2007, 06:26:21 PM

So even though I didn't deserve any more presents - my parents and my wife split the cost and bought me a PS3 for Christmas. Since I wasn't expecting it - I hadn't done much practical research on it  - so I hope some of you guys don't mind answering a few questions for me:

So far I've got two games for it - Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted. Were there any other games that people would strongly recommend picking up (understanding that I already had a 360 - so multiplatform titles were probably picked up earlier). I was curious about maybe trying out Resistance or Motorstorm.

The family also bought me the PS3 BluRay Remote control, which I haven't opened yet, because I wasn't sure if it was even necessary. It seems like I was able to start a BluRay movie using the PS3 controller. So should I return the remote or is there functionality there that I really need?

Any BluRay moves that I should absolutely go buy right now that will look absolutely stunning in 1080p?

I haven't hooked up the PS3 onto my wireless network yet. Is there anything I should do once I do? i.e. games to buy / download / etc

Mucho Thanks

You'll love your PS3.  What an awesome gift!

Resistance & Motorstorm are both quality titles and can be had for around $35 used.  Resistance, of which I put a lot of time into multiplayer, is a really good FPS.  The single player is a fun ride... and if you feel like the graphics are "lacking" in the first half of the single player campaign, they really shine in the latter half of the game.

Motorstorm is quite fun as well. Single player isn't fleshed out much... but the multiplayer makes up for that. It's a LOT of fun playing online.

I use my controller for BR movies... so I suppose the remote isn't necessary.  I've heard Ratatouille looks absolutely stunning.  I own The Fountain and it looks glorious.  Also, the Tim Burton movie... can't remember the name... is quite good looking as well.  OH The Corpse Bride - that's the name of it.

You should update your firmware when you get hooked up online.  Also, like Live, download the numerous demos and such.  Also look into the Themes - they are some good Sony ones and a whole heck of a lot of custom user-made ones that are really cool.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:40:46 PM »

Unreal Tournament 3 is great fun, Eye of Judgment is fantastic (if CCG's are your thing), and Warhawk is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever played.  I enjoyed Motorstorm quite a bit, as well.

The remote isn't necessary.  You can use a controller just fine.  If you like using a remote, then keep it...it isn't mandatory, though.

300 is gorgeous on Blu-Ray.

Download all the demos that you can, once you've gotten onto PSN.  Everyday Shooter is fantastic, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection now has online play and Super Stardust HD is supposedly great.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:43:51 PM »

Be sure to update your firmware.  It adds a lot of new functionality to the system.

A mild warning, though: when I first got my PS3 several months ago, I updated the firmware and it caused the internal wireless adapter to lose and reset its connection to my router every few seconds.  A subsequent update fixed the problem, though I had to temporarily use a wired connection to acquire it.  I can't imagine this will affect you, but I thought I'd mention it.

It's really just more of a reason to update everything sooner rather than later -- in the unlikely event that it messes something up, you want to have the option to exchange it at the store.

You can interact with Blu-Ray movies using your PS3 controller in the same way that you can use a 360 controller to interact with videos on that system.  Technically you can get everything done, but it's less intuitive and more cumbersome than using a remote specifically designed for the task.  I'd recommend hanging on to the Blu-Ray remote, but if you have something else you'd prefer to see the money spent on, you can survive without it.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:46:01 PM »

Resistance is quite awesome though it does take several levels to get going.

Agree with Autistic Angel- while the controller is functional, it's just a more user friendly experience to use the bluray remote.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »

I'm just lazy I use the controller for Blu-Ray movies.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »

game-wise, i'd suggest flow & everyday shooter from the psn store...

i'm happy with the controller, movie-wise, & i'd strongly recommend the bbc / david attenborough 'planet earth' series - there're sequences that'll bring tears to your eyes. mind-bogglingly stunning - no hdtv should be without it...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »

Using controller as remote gets old fast. Keep the remote.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 01:01:35 AM »

Yes definitely keep the remote.  Using a controller for a remote is possible, just like it was on the old PS2 but it's the most retarded thing you could possibly do. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:23:47 AM »

I think I need to pick up this remote.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I decided to keep the remote (yay another remote to add to the growing collection).
Hooked it up to the network and updated it.

Went to Best Buy last night and bought Rattatouille on BluRay. Was going to buy Resistance but it was sold out. So I downloaded the demo on PSN and was sort of glad i couldn't buy it because the demo wasn't that much fun. Was it just a bad level?

Kind of disappointed that most of the games on PSN don't offer trial versions like Xbox Live does (at least not that I could see). Am i missing something or do you really just have to buy these games and hope that you like them? The only games there that I've even heard of are Cops and Robbers and Flow but without a trial version - I feel hesitant to dropping down ~$10.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 08:16:15 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 30, 2007, 01:01:35 AM

Yes definitely keep the remote.  Using a controller for a remote is possible, just like it was on the old PS2 but it's the most retarded thing you could possibly do. 

I don't see why that is, I can do everything from my PS3 controller with movies so why is it retarded?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 10:22:38 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 30, 2007, 07:40:55 PM

Went to Best Buy last night and bought Rattatouille on BluRay. Was going to buy Resistance but it was sold out. So I downloaded the demo on PSN and was sort of glad i couldn't buy it because the demo wasn't that much fun. Was it just a bad level?

What level was it?  I'm guessing it was an early one because I've heard a lot of people who really ended up enjoying the final game were turned off on the demo.  Like I said earlier, it takes a little while to pick up. 

Somebody (Best Buy maybe?) has it on sale for $39.99 this week. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 11:49:03 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 30, 2007, 08:16:15 PM

Quote from: Canuck on December 30, 2007, 01:01:35 AM

I don't see why that is, I can do everything from my PS3 controller with movies so why is it retarded?

Obviously you know your way around the menu a lot better than me.  First of all, instead of just hitting a subtitles button I have to open up the menu during the movie and search around forever to find it.  And sometimes when I try to fast forward or reverse (without using the menu) I accidently skip forward or skip back a chapter. Or it goes all the way back to the beginning of the movie. Or sometimes when I do get it to fastforward I cant figure out how to get the damn thing to play.  Trust me it's just a whole lot of stress. Having a remote control would be far easier.  Otherwise all our tv's would come with game controllers instead of remote controls.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 11:51:11 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 30, 2007, 10:22:38 PM

What level was it?  I'm guessing it was an early one because I've heard a lot of people who really ended up enjoying the final game were turned off on the demo.  Like I said earlier, it takes a little while to pick up. 

I think it was a level called "Outgunned" - basically you started in some little alley and as soon as you stepped out there was a seemingly un-endless swarm of enemies down the street - shooting at you from cover. Unfortunately the demo didn't provide any instructions, so it was a lot of trial and error on what i was even supposed to do.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »

I'll toss a couple of questions into the mix here:

Do the controllers recharge when you have them plugged in via the USB cable and turn the system off like the 360 rechargeable battery does?

and

Does the Blu Ray player always lose track of where you are on a DVD when you turn the system off?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 06:55:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 31, 2007, 07:32:29 AM

Do the controllers recharge when you have them plugged in via the USB cable and turn the system off like the 360 rechargeable battery does?

and

Does the Blu Ray player always lose track of where you are on a DVD when you turn the system off?

hmmm - those are good questions - I'll have to test them out tomorrow to see.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »

and

1. I think so.

2. No, i think it depends on how you exit the dvd.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »

if you turn off the system, then yeah you lose your place

if you just exit to the XMB dashboard, and then restart the blu-ray disc later sometime while the PS3 is still on, then it will resume from where you exited the movie
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 09:25:39 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 30, 2007, 10:22:38 PM

I've heard a lot of people who really ended up enjoying the final game were turned off on the demo.  Like I said earlier, it takes a little while to pick up. 

Somebody (Best Buy maybe?) has it on sale for $39.99 this week. 
i'll be the one to confirm this personally.  the demo really wasn't a good piece by itself.  it would have been much better paired with an earlier level thrown in to get you up to speed.  i wouldn't have bothered by i got a trade with someone here and i'm glad i did.  it's definitely grown on me since i started from the beginning.  it takes a bit to get going, but by the time you get comfortable with the gameplay, it picks up nicely.  and the sale price is a great reason to try it out.

i haven't watched it yet, but the blade runner 5 disc version is supposedly very nice looking.

you have the two best action games on the system right now. 

Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »

So I bought one of these damn things. One annoyance/question:

Can you make it so the music player never turns off when you're navigating the menu? I'll put on some throbbing-make-your-head-melt techno and I'm all into it. Then when I go to the system settings or other places in the menu and it turns off my music and kills my buzz. Then I have to go back into the music menu and start my awesome tunes again. This makes me crazy. Is there a setting or something?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on February 14, 2008, 06:12:51 PM

Can you make it so the music player never turns off when you're navigating the menu? I'll put on some throbbing-make-your-head-melt techno and I'm all into it. Then when I go to the system settings or other places in the menu and it turns off my music and kills my buzz. Then I have to go back into the music menu and start my awesome tunes again. This makes me crazy. Is there a setting or something?

After you start the music playing, hit the square button a few times on your controller until the visualization changes to show the planet from space.  This won't help your issue in any way at all, but I think it looks really neat in 1080p.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 14, 2008, 06:22:13 PM

After you start the music playing, hit the square button a few times on your controller until the visualization changes to show the planet from space.  This won't help your issue in any way at all, but I think it looks really neat in 1080p.

Heh. I have that on right now. I think it's my favorite thing about the ps3 so far. nod
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on February 14, 2008, 06:12:51 PM

yeah, after you start playing a song and you're in the visualization screen, hit the PS3 guide button on the controller instead of Circle...it will take you back out to the PS3 dashboard (XMB or whatever) while keeping the music going
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 07:12:41 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on February 14, 2008, 06:54:36 PM

yeah, after you start playing a song and you're in the visualization screen, hit the PS3 guide button on the controller instead of Circle...it will take you back out to the PS3 dashboard (XMB or whatever) while keeping the music going

Yeah, I got that part, but if you do that and then navigate to settings > music settings (just as an example) the music stops.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 07:32:02 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on February 14, 2008, 07:12:41 PM

Quote from: KePoW on February 14, 2008, 06:54:36 PM

Yeah, I got that part, but if you do that and then navigate to settings > music settings (just as an example) the music stops.

oh really?  never noticed that, I guess I never navigate too far deeply in the XMB...I usually just go to it to see Friends list or something
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 04:00:12 AM »

I think I'd rather pay for the $20 IR dongle for the PS3 than add mileage to my 360 playing DVDs. It's not like the 360's DVD drives have a stellar reputation for reliability either.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 08:17:01 PM »

Is the PS3 real loud if used as a BR player?
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 18, 2008, 08:17:01 PM

No . . . my 40 gig is barely noticable . . . esp. if you are used to the jet engine/chainsaw noises of the 360 drives.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »

My 20 gig version isn't loud either. I have a comp sitting right next to it and I can always hear the comps fans over any noise the PS3 makes.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »

It's very quiet.

gellar
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 08:46:52 PM »

My 60gb gets loud only while playing games for me.

I think the XMB could use a lot of improvements, even going so far that it could be a lot more like the blades interface, except without the clunky blades.

Namely needs fewer options initially, and ones that are clearly labeled.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:39 PM »

Thanks for the info guys!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 18, 2008, 08:46:52 PM

My 60gb gets loud only while playing games for me.

The only time I ever notice my 60gb model make any noise at all is when the fan kicks into high. But even then it's a very low whir, compared to the high pitched whine that my 360 makes all the freakin' time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: