http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 07:49:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PS3 information  (Read 2482 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2006, 04:37:08 PM »

Blatantly lifted from Eurogamer: link.

Sony's apparently not content to rest in MS's online shadows:
Sony is hoping to "go way beyond mimicking Xbox Live" with an all-singing, all-dancing online service. And that's not all - some very interesting details regarding the PS3's multimedia capabilities have been revealed, too.

Apparently the new online service, titled PlayStation Network, won't just offer matchmaking and ranking lists. You can expect an iTunes-type store that lets you download films and music, and you'll be able to use the console as a Location Free Player. Which means you'll be able to upload stuff from your PS3 onto your PSP, and watch Blu-Ray and DVD movies on your handheld.

I wonder how much they'll charge for their online service?

Apparently the PS3 will also offer PVR functionality, the dev kits are running faster than initially predicted and there are "loads of games" in development that haven't been announced.

No word on the price yet.  Also no word on whether the PS3 will slice, dice, do your dishes or find you a date on a lonely Saturday night.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 04:43:28 PM »

I guess that means that they'll be a HD, right? That's good news.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 04:46:17 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Blatantly lifted from Eurogamer: link.

Sony's apparently not content to rest in MS's online shadows:
Sony is hoping to "go way beyond mimicking Xbox Live" with an all-singing, all-dancing online service. And that's not all - some very interesting details regarding the PS3's multimedia capabilities have been revealed, too.

Apparently the new online service, titled PlayStation Network, won't just offer matchmaking and ranking lists. You can expect an iTunes-type store that lets you download films and music, and you'll be able to use the console as a Location Free Player. Which means you'll be able to upload stuff from your PS3 onto your PSP, and watch Blu-Ray and DVD movies on your handheld.

I wonder how much they'll charge for their online service?

Apparently the PS3 will also offer PVR functionality, the dev kits are running faster than initially predicted and there are "loads of games" in development that haven't been announced.

No word on the price yet.  Also no word on whether the PS3 will slice, dice, do your dishes or find you a date on a lonely Saturday night.

I am sorry, but this and especially the PSM piece where the last few bits of your post were reported sound like pure, unadulterated propaganda bits. Some of the stuff they are talking about sounds absurd. When we see some real, hard specs, and working machines, and an actual you know, concept of PS3 Online, I might believe some of this stuff-but I find it hard to believe especially online they are going to go from zero to hero in one generation-the 360's online support already offers most of what Sony is promising and plans to integrate more of it soon.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:58:56 PM »

I does seem like Sony is promising a bit much these days.  I love my PS2 (although after 50 hours of Dragon Quest 8 I am trying to take a break) but I have to say I pretty much ignore all the stuff Sony says.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 05:15:37 PM »

It's hard to know how to think about Sony.  I love my PS2 and definitely want the PS3 to be amazing and successful.  The problem is: as much as I distrust Microsoft (old thing with me that dates back to my Mac days in the early 90's) I think I distrust Sony even more.  I really wish they wouldn't even promise anything and just get the system out there and then let us judge it.

Sometimes being second out of the gate has its advantages.  I just hope Sony has a good plan.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 05:30:22 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Sometimes being second out of the gate has its advantages.  I just hope Sony has a good plan.

Yeah both Sony and Nintendo get the advantage of all of the trailblazing work that MS has done with Live, as well as the fact that MS has already revealed their online structure for this gen.  

I wouldn't expect either Sony or Nintendo to beat MS at their own game but I would expect competitive services from both.  And I don't really think the quote in the first post is out of the range of speculation- Sony has already announced something very similar for PSP to debut in March so an extension of that with the PS3 (as well as PS3/PSP integration) seems to be a no-brainer.  

And while I think online will clearly be much more important this gen than last, I do think internet forums skew the importance a fair amount.  While almost everyone on internet forums seem to be online gamers,  Live only ended up in about 1 out of every 10 Xbox households last gen.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 07:19:11 PM »

It would be nice if Sony could implement everything they want, but I'm sure some of the rumors are pure hype or some statement that got out of hand and then released into the public.

I wonder what would happen if Peter Molyneux was working on the PS3?  :lol:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »

Yeah, I'm also in the "ignore everything until it's released" camp. A lot of hot talk from Sony. We'll see how much of it will stick.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:29:08 PM »

The PS3 is going to blow people away.  

THERE, I SAID IT.

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 08:31:43 PM »

*cough*

posted yesterday... slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 08:42:56 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

THERE, I SAID IT.

That must be a really powerful cooling fan then!
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 08:43:46 PM »

The title of this thread should have been New PS3 hype...
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 08:48:31 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

THERE, I SAID IT.

It will blow people across ROOMS!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 08:53:37 PM »

People will buy it to heat their household.  slywink

Despite how propaganda-ish this sounds, frankly it's not surprising that Sony would want to top MS in the online department.  Online console gaming, while still small, is taking off and Sony would have to be a fool not to see how much this could improve the console's longetivity.  A longer shelf-life means more games sold for the system in the long run, and that's what equals profits in the console industry.

I also wouldn't be surprised with an Itunes like server, Sony does have its own music and movie labels.  Let's just hope they don't go overboard with the copy protection schemes.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 09:06:02 PM »

Seems like it's shaping up to cost 2G.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »

Knowing the amount of bandwidth required to push Blu-Ray content, I can guarantee that you'll get a very different experience on your handheld.  I'm sure it'll be re-encoded.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 09:20:38 PM »

THERE, I SAID IT.

I think it'll be intersting enough if it will blow people.  Talk about unusual peripherals... :shock:

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 10:08:10 PM »

meh, I dont care if I can d/l music and movies with my playstation.

I can do that with my computer, for free.

have they said anything that will actually make game play more enjoyable?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 10:36:30 PM »

Their often ludicrous statements aside, most people fail to realize that more people went online with the PS2 than the Xbox despite Live.  It's not so much "getting competitive" as it is staying number one.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 11:26:05 PM »

Quote from: "Temjin"
Their often ludicrous statements aside, most people fail to realize that more people went online with the PS2 than the Xbox despite Live.  It's not so much "getting competitive" as it is staying number one.

Is this true?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 11:53:04 PM »

I'd like to see statistics to back that.  I found the PS2 too damned clunky to fool with - Live was super simple, and got all of my online time as a result.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 12:12:31 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"

THERE, I SAID IT.

I think it'll be intersting enough if it will blow people.  Talk about unusual peripherals... :shock:

If Sony announced such a thing, I'd actually be fearful for Best Buy.  Miniature cities would spring up around them overnight.  They'd establish fire departments and elect mayors.  Whole economies would be invented to support "Bestbuyville."

And I fully expect a bronze statue erected for me, as one of their founders.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 12:37:18 AM »

As someone who has no interest in online gaiming, but uses his consoles for GAMING, I have absolutely no opinion on this 'news'.  

Oh, and can someone point me to user statistitics that show me how many Xboxes were sold, how many PS2's, and the # of online subscribers for each?  If Kevin Grey is right, it's a crime that the future of the market is being determined by a small minority that Sony and MS believe they can milk for profit.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2006, 01:18:40 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I'd like to see statistics to back that.  I found the PS2 too damned clunky to fool with - Live was super simple, and got all of my online time as a result.

It's close.  Live is in about 2.5 million homes with Xbox 1.  The last numbers I saw for the PS2 online adapter was 2 million or so and that was back in 2003.  I wouldn't be surprised if the total number 3 million or so by now.

However there is no contest that Live is used more often by those who own it and an adoption rate of 1 in 10 console users (MS) versus 1 in 50 (Sony) is certainly more impressive.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 01:28:51 AM »

Not to mention that there's a big difference between getting online once to play SOCOM (as I did) vs. paying $50 to subscribe to a year of Live.

edit: grammar
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 01:31:21 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
As someone who has no interest in online gaiming, but uses his consoles for GAMING

Huh? Those caps make no sense.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 01:39:58 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Oh, and can someone point me to user statistitics that show me how many Xboxes were sold, how many PS2's, and the # of online subscribers for each?

Xbox has sold approx 22 million worldwide.  PS2 has sold over 90 million.  I mentioned the most current data I can find on their online statistics in my previous post.  Online play is still in the extreme minority for console players but its definitely growing- for example Nintendo DS has already had 500k online and there online service is only a few months old.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 02:28:20 AM »

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1151.html

Granted, it's two years out of date, but that's the last heads-up comparison I've seen.  I think Kevin Grey's estimation is a decent guess at the current numbers.  At any rate, I think it's more than fair to say that Sony is doing much better in the online realm than most give it credit for.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2006, 02:34:07 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

It's close.  Live is in about 2.5 million homes with Xbox 1.  The last numbers I saw for the PS2 online adapter was 2 million or so and that was back in 2003.  I wouldn't be surprised if the total number 3 million or so by now.

However there is no contest that Live is used more often by those who own it and an adoption rate of 1 in 10 console users (MS) versus 1 in 50 (Sony) is certainly more impressive.

I wonder if that figure on the online kit also includes those packed in when they re-released the "Online PS2".

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 02:43:50 AM »

To borrow this from somewhere else on the 'net:

Remember  bullshit like this back when the PS2 was announced?

Methinks it's all just smoke and mirrors.

Show us some actual gameplay (not this simulated crap), okay? Thanks.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 03:52:23 AM »

*cough*Emotion Engine*cough*

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 04:15:23 AM »

Something else to think about... the PS2 net adapter isn't only for playing a game online... it's also necessary for installing a hard drive (i.e. HDLoader/HDAdvance).  Yes, there's a USB version now, but for several months it was the only way play games off a hard drive.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 04:25:18 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Something else to think about... the PS2 net adapter isn't only for playing a game online... it's also necessary for installing a hard drive (i.e. HDLoader/HDAdvance).  Yes, there's a USB version now, but for several months it was the only way play games off a hard drive.

Considering the complete bust the HDD has been that has to be a pretty small percentage of overall sales.  You could probably get within 10% of the HDD install base just by looking up FFXI numbers (don't know them off hand but it ain't stellar).  Outside of the that you have those of us who bought one for use with HD Loader or HD Advance but, again, you're talking a small minority.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 06:36:21 AM »

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1151.html

Granted, it's two years out of date, but that's the last heads-up comparison I've seen.  I think Kevin Grey's estimation is a decent guess at the current numbers.  At any rate, I think it's more than fair to say that Sony is doing much better in the online realm than most give it credit for.

I don't because they havn't shown anything solid to prove people are online with the PS2 on any regular basis. Two or three million adapter sales doesn't mean that many regular players online.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Laner"

Considering the complete bust the HDD has been that has to be a pretty small percentage of overall sales.  You could probably get within 10% of the HDD install base just by looking up FFXI numbers (don't know them off hand but it ain't stellar).  Outside of the that you have those of us who bought one for use with HD Loader or HD Advance but, again, you're talking a small minority.

I still find it hilarious that you could not save a game directly to the hard drive.  Ranks right up there with the lawn dart in terms of practicality.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »

rrmorton, the caps on 'gaming' is meant to point out this hype for the PS3 is all about non-gaming related things - ie media playing, etc.  I want to know how it will improve games.  I also felt it necessary to point out that online gaming is still the vast minority (although a very vocal one) in consoles.  This news was bereft of anything for that 90% of us that love our PS2 for the games we had on it.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2006, 06:07:29 PM »

Gotcha. I thought you meant single player is real gaming while online gaming isn't.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2006, 07:45:20 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
*cough*Emotion Engine*cough*

Cough cough!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2006, 12:37:38 AM »

I agree with Big Jake, online gaming (for consoles at least) is still in the minority.
Maybe 10% of Xbox users even have Live at all. That means the other 90% of us still play singleplayer.
And that's what pisses me off most, that console games are leaving out important features like bots to keep the replayablity up.
Halo/Halo 2 were great games, but why the hell is Bungie refusing to support bots when they know full well just how many people even have Live compared to those that don't?
Are they trying to force us to "pay to play" and get on live? Because once you beat the singleplayer campaign, then what?
Battlefield 2 did the same thing. Just imagining that it was originally planned as "online-only" on a CONSOLE! It' s good thing EA saw that disaster before it struck. All the kids and technologically-impaired people buying it and not noticing the little "online only" box on the back that'd be calling them up 24/7 demanding refunds.
Personally I would have rather had bots than the attempt they made at a campaign.
Killzone made a good effort of giving us everything out of the box, a squad based singleplayer campaign, online multiplayer with a few different game modes and maps, and the same maps and modes also available offline for practice with bots.
Wish more games would follow this formula.
Just imagining a Halo 3 with built-in bots would make even JLo look unattractive!

Yeah I'm a big bot fan by the way..  :wink: used to be part of www.botepidemic.com if anyone old enough remembers it. I stopped updating because of a lack of time and it pretty much shut down. We were under UGO back then so they made all the calls.

The ps3 is going to be powerful no doubt, but with all these bells and whistles they keep adding is only going to do one thing, make the hole in our wallets that much bigger.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: