http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:20:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PS3 Game Pics - Wow  (Read 2218 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:59:03 PM »

drool

and this is 1st Gen stuff.....holy crap. Look at those textures. Wow. Blu-Ray FTW!  :wink:

Gran Turismo HD

Motorstorm (Demo at launch!)

Genji 2 (launch game):

Resistance:FOM (launch game)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:57:24 AM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 10:04:18 PM »

360 screenshots looked as good if not better in prerelease hype-including handheld cam pictures. Games run with Sony at the controls cannot be trusted for the final graphics-we all know that they can tweak the way they run and play (E3 last year FTW?). These shots look impressive, but I will wait to see it in motion to annoit it the best looking thing out there.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »

The games for the PS3 just seem soulless to me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 11:59:32 PM »

I think the souless part comes from Sony nor the game developers really talking about the game itself (charecters, plot, history, etc).  All you here about is the graphice: How many charecters on screen at once, the resolution, colors, framerate.  That's all well and good but give me some plot or something to get me interested.  The only games we really know much about are the multiplatform games like Assassins Creed and sequels like Metal Gear and Devil May Cry.  I'm getting a PS3 at some point regardless (RPG Nut), but your souless part is on the mark.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 04:54:46 AM »

Edited pic links....

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 05:00:10 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 28, 2006, 10:48:11 PM

The games for the PS3 just seem soulless to me.

Motorstorm looks anything but souless. It looks like an absolute blast. It also looks way better graphically than anything I have seen on the 360 so far.

http://temp.playsyde.com/news_3750_en.html

siege

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 05:10:53 AM »

From watching vids of both, Motorstorm is very impressive visually, but Excite Truck looks like it will be more fun. The PS3 will undoubtedly have a lot of great games, but nothing currently planned much interests me. I need more than flashy graphics.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:52:18 AM »

They look nice.  A far cry from $600 nice, but nice.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 08:53:19 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 29, 2006, 05:00:10 AM

Motorstorm looks anything but souless. It looks like an absolute blast. It also looks way better graphically than anything I have seen on the 360 so far.

banned

My problem is that I'm getting all this graphical smack thrown in my face, "PRERENDERED PARTICLES OF MUD PER SQUARE INCH OF SUNLIGHT", "THE PROCESSOR ALLOWS EACH SHADER ON GIB BLOOD CELLS TO BE INDIVIDUALLY RENDERED" - when talk of interesting plotlines, intriging ideas of games and new and fresh IP's is nowhere to be found.

I like pretty graphics, but I'm not dropping $600 for graphical updates on games I'm already playing.  Because even though I haven't PLAYED GT:HD, I've played it.  Even though I haven't PLAYED Genji 2, I've played it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 08:54:04 AM »

Hmm.. racing game, racing game, beat up lots of guys game, Half Life 2 look alike.  They really need to show some of the upcoming RPG's for my interest to climb above that of 'taking a chisel to my own scrotum' level.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »

The main difference between the PS2 and PS3 is the graphics power, so that's what they're focusing on.  Graphics are also immediately and obviously demonstrable, while it can be difficult to explain new ideas and IPs and why people should be excited about them.  After the initial buzz has died down, there should be a wider variety of genres represented and games that have more than just graphical improvements.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 10:00:38 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 29, 2006, 05:52:18 AM

In these days of paying close to $600 to get the next top of the line graphics card (probably with a 2 year lifetime), I don't see how some people can balk at $600 for an entire console.

Don't get me wrong-I agree that $600 is a lot of money-which is why I don't have a $600 Nvidia card.  But there seems to be a lot of hypocrisy around here when it comes to dishing out cash for the computer and dishing out cash for the console (not calling you a hypocrite Kathode, just making a general observation about what I notice on these forums.)
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 10:05:04 AM »

For me, I've never paid anywhere near 600 dollars for a video card.  That kind of thing is why I own a 360 and my computer is barely able to run Angband.  Tongue

The ps3 does look nice.  If I had the money I might (okay would be) tempted because I like shiny things.  However, with the 360 I already have getting all of the games that I'm interested in for next gen so far... no need to pick one up until a price drop or two.  Along with a hardware revision or two.

Ah... the power of being broke, my anti-Hetz defense!   icon_lol

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 29, 2006, 10:00:38 AM

In these days of paying close to $600 to get the next top of the line graphics card (probably with a 2 year lifetime), I don't see how some people can balk at $600 for an entire console.

Don't get me wrong-I agree that $600 is a lot of money-which is why I don't have a $600 Nvidia card.  But there seems to be a lot of hypocrisy around here when it comes to dishing out cash for the computer and dishing out cash for the console (not calling you a hypocrite Kathode, just making a general observation about what I notice on these forums.)

I'm guessing a game developer that actually knows what a PS3 looks like and the graphics it produced has his own, biased, and much much much more relevant opinion on the worth of such things than those of us who have never seen one in action smile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 02:28:29 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 29, 2006, 05:00:10 AM

http://temp.playsyde.com/news_3750_en.html

I'm not convinced of that. There's no game like this on 360 yet. Now it'll be interesting to see what happens with Colin McRae's DIRT as it gets further along in development on both systems. Environments look decent, but the physics look like they might be shoddy (I'm no expert on this, but it looks like they're using a center axis for rotation, which would be a shame for a game of this style). If the additional power of the PS3 allows it to run racing games at a higher fps with similar visuals, that will be huge.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 03:41:57 PM »

No, they look far BETTER than $600 nice...  What graphics card on the PC do you know can push that kind of stuff? Maybe a 7950GX2 card for, umm, say $600? (For JUST the card).

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 04:51:59 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 29, 2006, 10:00:38 AM

I've never paid anywhere close to that much for a graphics card and never ever would.  I think the most I ever paid was $300 for a GeForce4, the same card that's in my home system right now icon_lol  Maybe when I'm running the place, I can become and early adopter.  I can definitely see myself getting a PS3 eventually, but for the moment, standing in line to pay $600 so I can be the first to play Genji 2 isn't something I think is all that great of an idea.  Then again I'm not the kind of guy who goes out and buys Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players on a whim, either icon_wink  Edited to add that you should all stand in line and pay $600 to buy and play Oblivion on it!

No, they look far BETTER than $600 nice...  What graphics card on the PC do you know can push that kind of stuff? Maybe a 7950GX2 card for, umm, say $600? (For JUST the card).

I call straw man.  The relative cost of a PC doesn't factor into my decision.  The components of the PS3 themselves may even be such that $600 is a fantastic bargain, but the question I was purporting to answer was "Are these visuals worth paying $600 for?"  My answer is no.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:54:08 PM by kathode » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 06:52:44 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 29, 2006, 08:53:19 AM

My problem is that I'm getting all this graphical smack thrown in my face, "PRERENDERED PARTICLES OF MUD PER SQUARE INCH OF SUNLIGHT", "THE PROCESSOR ALLOWS EACH SHADER ON GIB BLOOD CELLS TO BE INDIVIDUALLY RENDERED" - when talk of interesting plotlines, intriging ideas of games and new and fresh IP's is nowhere to be found.

I like pretty graphics, but I'm not dropping $600 for graphical updates on games I'm already playing.  Because even though I haven't PLAYED GT:HD, I've played it.  Even though I haven't PLAYED Genji 2, I've played it.

fair enough, but then no one should be getting excited about Halo 3 either.  even when it gets closer to release and there are more videos/screenshots
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 06:56:22 PM »

We'll have to wait and see.  The Resistance:FOM shots didn't look any better than HL2

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 11:50:49 PM »

What that Gran Turismo screenshot doesn't tell you is that to get that car you need to spend an extra 10 bucks, and then to be able to drive on that track you need another 5 bucks...  Tongue

No denying the PS3 looks good, but I think it wil be two years before it hits any kind of stride and maybe it will be affordable.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 05:57:19 AM »

Looks good... still want one.

gellar
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 07:00:16 AM »

I'm not blown away.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:02:51 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 07:47:17 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on October 30, 2006, 07:00:16 AM

I'm not blown away.

That picture does not impress at all.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 08:10:59 AM »

Yeah that one looks like they took the photoshop off biggrin
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 12:51:28 PM »

So very bitter.....

You anti-PS3 people are so very predictable.  icon_wink

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »

C'mon Hetz, we all know you only want the PS3 so you have an excuse to play Oblivion again slywink

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 12:58:30 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 30, 2006, 12:53:09 PM

C'mon Hetz, we all know you only want the PS3 so you have an excuse to play Oblivion again slywink

Well, that's just the silliest thing I have heard....I mean....why would I want to do that? Lies! It's all lies! Er....well....ok, I admit it. You got me.  crybaby

MUST.HAVE.NEW.IMPROVED.OBLIVION..........    smoke

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 02:07:30 PM »

ITs nice, and frankly if I didnt have to wait in line and go through hoops to ATTEMPT to get one this holiday season, the 600$ would be less of an issue.

I was talking to a soccer mom at a party this weekend who buys her kids EVERYTHING. (she had two 360's last year, their kids have an arcade machine, all the handhelds...) and SHE is saying 600$ and the hassle it too much.

That said, I dont think Sony will have any problem at all selling out this holiday season.  Im more curious to see how this sucker sells at retail when they are available in stores for 600$ and the hyperbole has died down.

Its nice to see Nintendo is saying this morning that there will be plenty of Wii's available. Because I REALLY want that, I think the because, I have a next gen console on my bad ass HD set, and the Wii is bringing fresh Ideas to the table.

In the final analysis I will be disappointed when you maniacs (HETZ  icon_smile) are playing the PS3 and posting here about how much better it is than the 360.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 02:15:18 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on October 30, 2006, 02:07:30 PM

That said, I dont think Sony will have any problem at all selling out this holiday season.  Im more curious to see how this sucker sells at retail when they are available in stores for 600$ and the hyperbole has died down.

Sony will have no problems selling their 500k units this holiday season. Between the few people who really want the thing and the shitton of people who are gonna eBay the things for tons of profit, they'll all quickly vanish.

But yeah, I forsee problems with people buying the thing when it becomes 'available'. In March or so. It's just too much money right now for a game machine. And this is coming from somebody who has all of the current-gen consoles as well as the 360 (and Wii shortly).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 03:38:34 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 30, 2006, 05:57:19 AM

gellar

I want one too, but I'm not allowing myself to buy one until there are at least 5 exlcusive games that I really want to play released.  None of the exclusive launch titles fall in that category

Besides, I have a feeling MP action with fellow GT/OO players on the PS3 will be rather limited at first, and with games like Rainbow Six that is what really matters to me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 04:38:47 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 30, 2006, 12:51:28 PM

So very bitter.....

You anti-PS3 people are so very predictable.  icon_wink

I'm not anti-PS3, I'm just not overly pro-PS3 either.  In fact, I'm selling the one I have preordered on ebay so I can afford to buy one for myself.  I can wait until the games I really want come out though.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 30, 2006, 08:10:59 AM

Yeah that one looks like they took the photoshop off biggrin

Actually it looks like they took it with my camera phone.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2006, 03:38:34 PM

Quote from: gellar on October 30, 2006, 05:57:19 AM

gellar

I want one too, but I'm not allowing myself to buy one until there are at least 5 exlcusive games that I really want to play released.  None of the exclusive launch titles fall in that category

Besides, I have a feeling MP action with fellow GT/OO players on the PS3 will be rather limited at first, and with games like Rainbow Six that is what really matters to me.

Yes... that is totally the prudent move and one that I can definitely get behind.  However, I am a HUGE Formula 1 (or Formula Un, for Ricky Bobby) fan and the F1 game looks fantastic.  With that and knowing that there will be a fair amount of console exclusives, I will attempt to acquire one as soon as I can without paying too much over retail for it.

gellar
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 05:17:01 PM »

I don't think Sony will have trouble selling out of the measly number of units they're putting into the retail pipeline this Christmas.

I do think that a lot of adult-family gamers will be left out, though, because of the shortages.  Even worse than the 360 - that's scary.  I can't justify an expense like that, except for maybe a Christmas present.  But I can't ask for it for Christmas because I know my wife will be very disappointed if she isn't able to get one for me - and I know it'll be almost impossible for her to find one.  So... I can't ask for one for Christmas. 

Therefore, even if I want one, it'll be a long while before I can justify the hassle and the cash.  That said, I hope it's an amazing console for those that get their hands on it.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 06:53:29 PM »

MUST.HAVE.NEW.IMPROVED.OBLIVION..........   

From what I've read, there aren't any improvements, not even faster load times. There will be a new faction, which will most likely be available to download for the 360 version eventually, but nothing other than that.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 06:57:09 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 01, 2006, 06:53:29 PM

From what I've read, there aren't any improvements, not even faster load times. There will be a new faction, which will most likely be available to download for the 360 version eventually, but nothing other than that.

They changed the transition between the detailed foreground landscape textures and the blurry distance textures to be much smoother and more natural. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 09:29:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 01, 2006, 06:57:09 PM

Quote from: Ridah on November 01, 2006, 06:53:29 PM

They changed the transition between the detailed foreground landscape textures and the blurry distance textures to be much smoother and more natural. 

Any enhanced content for the PS3 version will be available for 360 and PC, although I have no clue what the timetable is-I think its fairly shortly after. And for what its worth, I dont think the smoothing effect really looks at all different based on screenshots. Just looks...really 360ish smile . Other than that it seems to be the same.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 06:29:36 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 30, 2006, 12:53:09 PM

Nah, he wants it because he's all about the graphics, which should be very obvious given the usual content of his posts.  (Check the NWN 2 impressions thread.)  That's cool though, to each his or her own.  (By the way this is not in any way intended to be a slam on Hetz, so let's not take it that way please.)

I used to be the same way, but these days graphics just don't seem to matter as much to me as they used to.  I think it's because, like Kobra said, every game has great graphics so it's just not a big deal.  I've played tons of games with fantastic graphics...only to turn them off after 15 minutes because the game just flat out sucks.  So far I see nothing at all about the PS3 that impresses me or makes me think it's worth the $600 price tag.  I think I'd rather take that cash and spend it on upgrading my PC.  I'll get a Wii for the kids and so I can play the new Zelda, then eventually a 360 just because Dead Rising looks so damn cool, but other than that I really have to say that the whole console scene really is starting to sour on me.  I've got all three of the previous consoles and I haven't touched them in months, even with the new HD TV.  I don't know, maybe I'm just growing out of it.  thumbsdown

glyc

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 07:23:30 PM »

Heh, that motor storm screenshot is the equivalent to taking the most beautiful FPS game to date, taking a screenshot of the character facing a blank wall, then saying you're not impressed with the entirity of the system and its game library based on that one screenshot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: