http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:24:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PC Gamer mag  (Read 1416 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2005, 04:49:20 AM »

Looks like they're redisigning themselves. The new boos is The Vede of all people.

http://www.pcgamer.com/archives/2005/11/greetings_from.html

Read all three of his writeups from the right side links. liked them all surprisingly.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 05:00:55 AM »

The magazine has been completely re-envisioned and redesigned to be the best, most relevant PC gaming magazine you’ve ever read.

So they're aiming higher than simply publishing a monthly booklet of advertisements? Good for them!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 05:38:01 AM »

Meh, I'll believe it when I read it. I used to get it for the longest time, but the amount of quality content compared to the mindless crap that they put in there to try and be funny was getting pretty small. And they took forever to even offer a DVD version. I would have probably kept up my sub if that had been offered when it ran out.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 09:26:44 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

The magazine has been completely re-envisioned and redesigned to be the best, most relevant PC gaming magazine you’ve ever read.

So they're aiming higher than simply publishing a monthly booklet of advertisements? Good for them!

+1
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 12:53:55 PM »

Wonder if Morris is going to continue hosting their podcast.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 05:15:50 PM »

i long for the days when every PCGamer was at least 200 pages of quality game reporting every month.  on how the mighty have fallen...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 12:26:45 AM »

Seriously, I think I still have the "good ol' days" of PCG boxed up somewhere. When the Christmas Specials were 400 pages. When the cover boasted about the newest page count record. Then came the dark days, when the demo disk was thicker than the magazine itself.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 05:26:59 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Seriously, I think I still have the "good ol' days" of PCG boxed up somewhere. When the Christmas Specials were 400 pages. When the cover boasted about the newest page count record. Then came the dark days, when the demo disk was thicker than the magazine itself.

i still have all my PCG mags stacked in a closet...started getting them with their 2nd issue and have every one for about 5 or 6 years.  those 400 page Holiday Guides are a great bit of gaming nostalgia Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 02:33:41 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
i long for the days when every PCGamer was at least 200 pages of quality game reporting every month.  on how the mighty have fallen...

WTF was with the *16* page ad for Cingular Wireless in their latest ("Build Your Own Rig") issue? I have half a mind to cancel my subscription right now just because of that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 02:47:28 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
The new boos is The Vede of all people.

Never have I been so thankful for canceling my PCG subscription all those years ago. The magazine really took a huge turn for the worst when they started to try to make personalities out of their writers and every single article seemed to be filled with childish "hip" humor. One of the real low points was when they had TheVede doing joke relationship columns in the hardware section.

I actually remember a thread over at GG where the then EIC (can't remember his name at the time, was it Whitta maybe?) actually stated that the whole personality thing was what the readership wanted. Maybe he was right, as PCG has been at the top of the subscriber numbers for years (at least that's what I recall).  Always amazed me that folks didn't move over to CGW or CGM.

[edit]Every now and then I'll return one of the "get a free issue" cards just to see if the magazine has improved, or at least become a bit more to my liking. Sadly I'm disappointed every time.

Oh, and the real topper came when, without me ever stating that I wanted a subscription, PCG's accounting department wrote me a nice letter threatening my credit rating if I didn't send in the money for the subscription (again, which I never agreed to).
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »

In the span of that article, TheVede promises that the magazine has been redesigned to be a million times better than it's ever been before, but instead of going into any details at all, he procedes to squander most of his space in contemplation over the power of orange construction cones on the highway.

Is that really a sign that PC Gamer is now the best, most relevant gaming magazine I've *ever* read?

-Autistic Angel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 05:30:01 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "disarm"

WTF was with the *16* page ad for Cingular Wireless in their latest ("Build Your Own Rig") issue? I have half a mind to cancel my subscription right now just because of that.

Got that in the newest OXM too.  Bleh...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: