http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 02:47:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Oblivion interview with kathode!  (Read 885 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2005, 01:07:49 PM »

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=12316

It's focused largely on tech stuff....

Elite Bastards: A previous interview mentioned using multi-threading to help speed up area/cell loading for when players move about the game world. Are the devs using multi-threading in other ways to facilitate game performance?

Gavin Carter: The game’s code takes advantage of the multithreaded nature of the Xbox 360 and multithreaded PCs to improve just about every aspect of the game. The primary function is to improve framerates by off-loading some work from the main thread to the other processors. We do a variety of tasks on other threads depending on the situation – be it sound and music, renderer tasks, physics calculations, or anything else that could benefit. Loading also gets spread across hardware threads to aid in load times and provide a more seamless experience for the player.

Yay! Dual core support!!

Glad I got that X2 processor now... smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 02:05:44 PM »

Thanks for the find Hetz, keeper of all things Elder Scrolls.  smile  Some new info in there, much appreciated Kathode!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 02:27:53 PM »

I love hearing about the AI and some of the 'issues' they've had in dealing with a world full of thinking people:

Elite Bastards: What were the most challenging elements of your design to actually implement in the game? What's been the most frustrating element to implement and how did you finally overcome it?

Gavin Carter: The AI has certainly been the most challenging element to implement. It turns out that giving any sense of autonomy to a world with 1500 NPCs that are running 24 hours a day (no matter where you are) can be a dangerous proposition. We’ve had to deal with everything from NPCs killing plot-essential characters off-screen to them breaking the economy by purchasing everything in a town. However, our programmers have done a tremendous job plugging the holes that form and it’s grown into a very tight system that is fascinating to observe and interact with in the game.

biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 02:33:01 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I love hearing about the AI and some of the 'issues' they've had in dealing with a world full of thinking people:

Elite Bastards: What were the most challenging elements of your design to actually implement in the game? What's been the most frustrating element to implement and how did you finally overcome it?

Gavin Carter: The AI has certainly been the most challenging element to implement. It turns out that giving any sense of autonomy to a world with 1500 NPCs that are running 24 hours a day (no matter where you are) can be a dangerous proposition. We’ve had to deal with everything from NPCs killing plot-essential characters off-screen to them breaking the economy by purchasing everything in a town. However, our programmers have done a tremendous job plugging the holes that form and it’s grown into a very tight system that is fascinating to observe and interact with in the game.

biggrin

Wow, NPCs deciding enough is enough, that's pretty cool...even better, breaking the economy...Who said computers can't think like humans. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 02:53:28 PM »

Nice interview, thanks for the link Hetz!  Cool

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 02:54:11 PM »

This is promising to those of us wondering how PCs will be able to stack up against the 360 version:
Elite Bastards: With the Xbox 360's advanced Xenos graphics chip from ATI, are there going to be any graphical differences between Oblivion on the PC compared to MS' new console? What are some of the technologies supported by the Xenos chip Bethesda's programmers are most keen on taking advantage of?

Gavin Carter: The performance of the Xbox 360 GPU is something we’ve been extremely impressed with even going back to the alpha kits. It’s really a beast thanks to innovations like the unified shader architecture. It tears through our longest shaders like a hot knife through butter. As far as differences, if you’ve got a fast PC with a graphics card with full shader model 3.0 support, the differences should be miniscule in nature. (emphasis mine)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: