http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Last Remnant details and screens  (Read 8633 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 06:03:08 AM »

Gametrailers has posted their review - 8/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 07:19:01 AM »

game is getting great user reviews. unfortunately my 8 gigs of rock band songs means i have no room left to rip a game. So still a bit torn.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »

Quote from: shon on November 24, 2008, 01:52:13 AM

The combat animations are pretty cool but it does get a little hectic and sometimes I wasn't sure who was attacking.

Heh. That was my experience back in September.
Of course I had no idea who any of the characters were, which made matters worse, but the way the camera shifts around I had no clue what was really going on. I presume once I get a feel for who everyone is and there's some context that will help a little.
Funny all the comments about the framerate--I didn't see any hitches or drops at all when I played before.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »

For anyone who may be interested but not at full price, Amazon still has it for $39.99 as part of their countdown to Black Friday. 
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »

Just finished disk one last night and I must say the story has definitely picked up.  The end battles to disk one were very intense and definitely enjoyable.  I LOVE rpg's but find that I rarely finish them.  I find that I have actually come to like the battle system so much that I'll definitely be finishing this one.  It takes about 10 hours to really get a feel for how deep it is, but once you do, there is a TON of strategy there.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »

Damn, the Amazon deal is over... I was going to buy it after I saw the Gametrailers video review.  Now I dunno for 60 bucks.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 08:04:27 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 25, 2008, 07:41:27 PM

Damn, the Amazon deal is over... I was going to buy it after I saw the Gametrailers video review.  Now I dunno for 60 bucks.

With the bad reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if it drops fast like Infinite Undiscovery did.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 08:34:43 PM »

Yeah, I"m sure it will be down to $40 by January or February and maybe even lower. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 25, 2008, 08:04:27 PM

Quote from: KePoW on November 25, 2008, 07:41:27 PM

With the bad reviews, I wouldn't be surprised if it drops fast like Infinite Undiscovery did.

I plan on picking up both of those eventually, but have a really hard time dropping $60 for games with mediocre reviews.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 08:54:32 PM »

I played about 5 hours of IU and generally enjoyed it but found enough issues that I just couldn't justify the time with it in the holiday rush so I sold it (thankfully for well more than the $40 it's going for now).  Once it's down to $20 or so I may pick it up again once we hit another gaming lull.

In contrast, Last Remnant sounds like a really good game that's somewhat hampered by technical flaws.  So I'd be tempted to go ahead and bite now but with Persona 4 hitting a few weeks and Valkyria Chronicles already in progress, I don't have time for Last Remnant now.  But by January or February if the PC version isn't imminent then I may go ahead and grab Last Remnant then. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 09:35:19 PM »

yeah, having persona 4 soon is 1 reason i'm still debating lol. i'll probably just end up playing it regardless. i've played shittier games before and for 20 bucks more!

good to hear the story picks up. i was worried it would be a bit too cliched and extremely predictable. hopefully it distances itself from the rather predictable plots most rpgs have these days. /glares at ME
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 09:45:05 PM »

The story after finishing disk one is more in the realm of Final Fantasy XII in that it's about a scarce, valuable resource (remnants) political intrigue and backstabbing.  The battle system is almost becoming like a graphical (and deeper) version of chess.  With unions having their pluses and minuses depending on the party members you place in them and the formations you give them.  Also where you are on the board in relation to your enemies becomes more important as the game moves along.  I'm really surprised at the depth of the battle system that's there, I'm constantly switching out members and formations to try and get the most out of a union.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2008, 10:09:43 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on November 25, 2008, 09:45:05 PM

I'm really surprised at the depth of the battle system that's there, I'm constantly switching out members and formations to try and get the most out of a union.

Don't know when I'll get to it, but this kind of talk makes me really hopeful.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »

The battle system might be an acquired taste, but if you like it, then the game is worth it.  Plus like I said earlier installing to the hard drive is a must or the stutters and slowness will absolutely ruin the experience.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2008, 06:18:49 AM »

My Amazon copy arrived this afternoon. I played about 3 hours. So far, I really like the game. I'm beginning to get the hang of the unions and the battle system.

As Stich mentioned, I installed to the hard drive. Admittedly, I'm very early on, but I haven't seen any slowdowns at all yet. As a matter of fact, any loading screens have gone so quickly that I can't read the entire game tip on the splash screen. So, I really appreciate the heads-up to install it first.

One thing I am curious about, for any of you who got the Amazon pre-order. I have a key code for three additional formations. However, I can't figure out how to redeem it. It says to go to the Marketplace and choose to "redeem code." I can't seem to find a redeem option on the Marketplace screen. If I browse through the games' listing and choose The Last Remnant, there are all sorts of trailers and media packs, but I don't see any sign of the pre-order. If anyone can step me through where to enter the code once I'm on the Marketplace, I would be grateful.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:00:39 AM by Qantaga » Logged

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »

On the main blade there was a spot to put in codes and such. Of course, with the new system, I don't know where it is. Basically, it's the same place you can put in Live timecards and pointcards and such.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »

You hit the guide button, go all the way left to the Marketplace tab, and ht "Redeem Code".  It used to be hitting the X button on the marketplace tab, but now it's not.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »

Thanks Destructor and Chaz!

~Switchfoot
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »

new content coming in December

We've not seen the last of The Last Remnant, as Square Enix drops the details on not one but four different packs of downloadable content coming to Xbox Live Marketplace in December.

The first two free packs, Challenge Pack 1: "Purgatory's Sins" and "The Key of Ancient Ruins" will be release on December first, with the former containing a new set of difficult guild challenges and the latter introducing a new area to explore. Then December 15th sees the release of the "March to War" set, which is the three special pre-order formations for 100 MS points. Finally, on December 22nd they release Challenge Pack 2: "The Price Of Lies", which is as free as the first one. Note that all of these dates are for gold Xbox Live Members, with silver members getting access a week later.

I'm having nightmares about the game's difficulty as it is, so the prospect of more difficult missions? Truly terrifying.

THE LAST REMNANT DETAILS OF NEW DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT

London (26th November 2008) – Square Enix Ltd., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in Europe and other PAL territories, today announces details of the forthcoming Xbox LIVE® downloadable content for THE LAST REMNANT™, on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Details of the downloadable content are as follows:

Challenge Pack 1: “Purgatory’s Sins”
Price: Free
Release date: Gold Member: 1st December, 2008
Silver Member: 8th December, 2008
Level up your game with this pack of ultra-challenging guild tasks. Adequate game progression is necessary.

“The Key of Ancient Ruins”
Release date: Gold Member: 1st December, 2008
Silver Member: 8th December, 2008
Unlock the gates to the Ancient Ruins with this key, and discover what mysteries lie within its crumbling depths.

“March to War Set”
Price: 100 MSP
Release date: Gold Member: 15th December, 2008
Silver Member: 15th December, 2008
Three special unlockable formations (Scatterswarm, Goblet and Catapult) that will boost your tactical strength during battle.

Challenge Pack 2: “The Price of Lies”
Release date: Gold Member: 22nd December, 2008
Silver Member: 29th December, 2008
Add this pack of the most difficult guild tasks yet. Adequate game progression is necessary.

http://kotaku.com/5099154/square-enix-details-last-remnant-dlc-for-december#viewcomments

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2008, 04:41:03 AM »

I call shenanigans on the 100 point extra formations.  Seriously, the formation system is already in the game, it literally takes no effort to just include new shapes for those formations.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2008, 05:32:25 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 27, 2008, 04:41:03 AM

I call shenanigans on the 100 point extra formations.  Seriously, the formation system is already in the game, it literally takes no effort to just include new shapes for those formations.

These formations were the preorder bonuses.  Since the others are free, I assume they're charging for these in order to not make preordering look pointless.  My $40 preorder copy from Amazon arrived today, and I'll be delving into the game later tonight.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2008, 05:59:02 AM »

I've been playing this on and off all day, in between trying to get the house ready for company tomorrow. I'm about 6 hours in and I'm very pleased with the game.

As mentioned above, I have installed to the hard drive and I haven't had a single technical issue yet. It makes me wonder if I'm playing the same game the reviewers were (although I would guess they were playing from the disks). Maybe it will change as I get deeper in, but I have had a couple of large scale battles already with no noticeable issues.

It took a little while for things to finally "click," but now I've got a good understanding of the formations and what's taking place on the battlefield. I've even gotten to the point where I can hit most of the timing sequences (I found myself enjoying watching the battles early on and I was always surprised when the timing sequences popped up. I bet I didn't hit one until about the 20th one that popped up. smile ) I'm having a great time moving leaders and soldiers in and out of the unions. I ran into one stretch where Rush's union was getting wiped out at the start of three straight encounters (my second union was holding it's own, but I'm not sure if Rush was getting any benefit from the encounters since he was napping during those battles). A little tinkering with my formations and lineups made a huge difference and I was able to cruise through the rest of the dungeon, so I was happy with the strategic element.

Obviously, I'm still early on and things could change, but I am enjoying the game very much so far.

~Switchfoot
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »

Game came yesterday. The battle system is pretty damn unique and crazy. Still trying to get the hang of it. But for the most part I can get a group or 2 able to flank some enemies. Is there to tell if an enemy is weak to the mystic arts or regular melee?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »

decided to get this game this weekend(so much for my next game being LOTR:Conquest)..i think i will pick up the guide as well,that for some reason gets released tomorrow (last remnant came out last friday here)..i remember infinite undiscovery guide came out afetr everyone had beaten the game....is this gonna be the norm for square enix games?

the forum effect did indeed sway me

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »

Does anyone else find the walking and running animations of the characters to be somewhat bizarre? Something is definitely off, and the main character at times looks like he is speed walking with the way his body moves. Its mildly distracting.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2008, 06:28:08 PM »

360 sales Double in Japan thanks to Last Remnant..Last Remnant sells 100k(i think again in just Japan)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=202746

Sales of the Xbox 360 have doubled in the space of a week in Japan, according to data from Media Create.

Last week Microsoft's box had sold 7,983 units in the region, yet new data shows that sales for this week have climbed to 15,474. This boost was in part due to the new Square Enix RPG Last Remnant, which scored a 38/40 in Famitsu and went on to sell 101,543 units in its first week.

This week's sales rate puts further consideration on how Microsoft is trying to invigorate its Japanese audience. Again, it is closing the gap between itself and Sony's Playstation 3, which sold 17,436 units.

That PS3 sales figure is nearly identical to its sales performance last week, yet the brand's handheld unit has soared in sales; climbing from 38,153 last week to reach 61,226 PSPs sold, helped by strong sales of new release Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam VS. Gundam. By comparison, the DSi largely sold the same volume as last week, climbing up by around 3,000 units to hit 88,843.

Following news that the Nintendo Wii had surpassed 7 million units in Japan, the console's weekly performance has taken a boost; up from 26,787 units to 35,298. This is largely due to sales of Animal Crossing: City folk, which sold 300,000 units and enters the software charts at number one.

While strong sales keep the Wii as Japan's best-selling TV console this week, suspicions remain that the console is approaching a saturation-point (its sales rate today is roughly a third of how it sold in an average first-year week). Though these facts may sting Nintendo a little, a Japanese user-base of 7 million (of which, unlike the 360 and PS3, no loss-leading was involved) is a great foundation for the company.

The cameraless DS, however, was the biggest surprise of the week. Its sales proportionally leaped the furthest, jumping from 3,559 to hit 18,580 units; that's more than both the PS3 and Xbox 360. A new remake of Chrono Trigger for the DS (featured in This Week's Big Releases) sold 270,868 units in its first week alone.

Full list according to Media Create:
DSi 88,843
PSP 61,226
Wii 35,298
DS Lite 18,580
PS3 17,436
Xbox 360 15,474
PS2 5,281

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »

I'm definitely grabbing this at some point, but I think I'm waiting on it for a while.  I'm saving the Xmas RPGs until I'm done with the action games, which means finishing Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia.  Then I've got Fable 2, Fallout, and Valkyria Chronicles, plus I just ordered Infinite Undiscovery for $18 from Amazon.  Hopefully by the time I'm done with those, Last Remnant will be cheaper.  Since it's been selling for $40 pretty much since it came out, I'm hopeful of the cheapening happening quickly.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2008, 01:44:56 PM »

I picked this up cheap a few days ago. Surprised it was reduced so quickly as it's only been out 10 days. Still £39.99 down to £24.99 isn't a bad deal for  game i almost got at full price.

Installing it makes a big difference to performance as well. Not had much chance to play it though as there is just so much good stuff to play i find myself playing too many games for a short space rather than just 1 at a time.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »

Damn, Amazon just dropped the price on this to $30 today.  Now I'm very tempted.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on November 29, 2008, 01:44:56 PM

I picked this up cheap a few days ago. Surprised it was reduced so quickly as it's only been out 10 days. Still £39.99 down to £24.99 isn't a bad deal for  game i almost got at full price.

Installing it makes a big difference to performance as well. Not had much chance to play it though as there is just so much good stuff to play i find myself playing too many games for a short space rather than just 1 at a time.

WHAT???...i just picked it up for £39.99(this morning)...any suprises that it was GAME that i picked it up from,robbing sods..i was expecting it to be £34.99

i didnt even attempt to play the game from disc,i heard too many bad things about it,so i installed all 12.6 gig of the 2 discs...from what i have played (about 2hrs)i can see some pop in textures when the scene starts but other than that its fine

(for those with the 20gig HDD i have heard you can install one disc at a time,play to the end of disc 1 and then install disc 2,after deleting disc 1..as you know the game saves are seperate..just incase people with 20gigs saw it was 12.6 gig and thought,well thats me out..especially as you only get 13gig anyway,LOL)

that first town you get to looks and feels exactly like FF12(with what Stitchjones above kinda said)..even down to similar 'beasts' in the towns and the thought bubbles above the persons heads,the colours and the clothes as well...not that any of that is a bad thing..its nowhere near as big as FF12 towns,perhaps the towns will be bigger later on in the game

not really sure about it going to city map everytime you cross the threshold to another location..i think i would prefer it to just take me to the next location which it is joined to...but yeah its quicker if you want to go straight to the castle from say the entrance

the fighting/battles i am still a little wary of,i have fought about a dozen battles and to tell you the truth i am stumbling through them...either pressing attack,or attack with spiritual arts like that frog guy told me to.....cureing myself with the herbs hasnt really been needed yet..i have been saving my game a lot,as i died and had to reload from my last save point and i found that it was about an hour past,still its a good way to get used to the system

graphics look good,do the job,the voices are ..well,so-so up to now...not sure about the music though,seems a bit 'in your face' all the time..or 'in your ears',LOL

i am still very early in the game,so any of the above can change

and even though the guide came out here yesterday,i couldnt find it in the two GAME shops i hit.....which means i will be on the net no doubt like i was with IU

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »

Yeah, I pulled the trigger on it at $30.  Amazon is killing me with these sales.  I'm seriously tempted to grab Farcry 2 on the PS3 for the $26 they're selling it for.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »

Damn... I ordered when they had it for $40 on Friday.  I'm going to e-mail them to see if they can change my price to $30, since it hasn't shipped yet.

As far as the game itself, from what I hear by actual people who have spent a good amount of playtime, it seems it has gotten the shaft from 'professional' reviews.  As long as you install it, players have mostly said it's a great game.  Looking forward to receiving it.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »

There are 2 computer game shops in the town where i live.

You have The Game and Gamestation. NOw both are now owned by the same company. Recently i have noticed they have been doing a few little tricks. LAst weeks deal of the week was Fable at £29.99 and was only available at The Game and out of stock at Gamestation.

This week i went in The Game to see about Last Remanant and they had none on sale anywhere, immediately i thought bet it's on offer in Gamestation, popped down there and there it was £24.99 and was that price today when i popped in again.

Gamestation also had Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise and Ninja Gaiden for £30 for both so picked them up too, yet Trouble in Paradise was £30 on it's own in Game.

Only noticable thing is overall there is less on offer it used ot be both had offes running now it's normally only 1 or the other or just 1 or 2 games each on offer. Gamestation does seem noticably cheaper on used games. Also Fable 2 is £19.99 online at Gamestation which is another good price.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 29, 2008, 07:01:08 PM

Damn... I ordered when they had it for $40 on Friday.  I'm going to e-mail them to see if they can change my price to $30, since it hasn't shipped yet.

People over at CAG have reported having more success getting post-order price changing when they call rather than email.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on November 29, 2008, 07:32:36 PM

There are 2 computer game shops in the town where i live.

You have The Game and Gamestation. NOw both are now owned by the same company. Recently i have noticed they have been doing a few little tricks. LAst weeks deal of the week was Fable at £29.99 and was only available at The Game and out of stock at Gamestation.

This week i went in The Game to see about Last Remanant and they had none on sale anywhere, immediately i thought bet it's on offer in Gamestation, popped down there and there it was £24.99 and was that price today when i popped in again.

Gamestation also had Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise and Ninja Gaiden for £30 for both so picked them up too, yet Trouble in Paradise was £30 on it's own in Game.

Only noticable thing is overall there is less on offer it used ot be both had offes running now it's normally only 1 or the other or just 1 or 2 games each on offer. Gamestation does seem noticably cheaper on used games. Also Fable 2 is £19.99 online at Gamestation which is another good price.

i didnt know the same company owned them two,i know that GAME took over Electronics Boutique(EB) a few years ago,those shops are no more and got replaced with GAME

the nearest gamestation for me is in manchester town centre,and thats about an hour or so away

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »

Yeah the takeover was challenged but cleared. Apparently there is plenty of different shops to buy games in the UK. Shame the only 2 specialist Gaming stores in the UK are now owned by the same company.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2008, 10:07:36 PM »

is there a way to get people into your union when going to blakedale or whatever? the 2nd time you hook up with david and gang they are quests so it's just you in a union. like 2 hits and im dead and it's game over. wtf seriously.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 29, 2008, 08:37:33 PM

People over at CAG have reported having more success getting post-order price changing when they call rather than email.

Going to have to try this, since they already responded and denied me by e-mail.  Will let you know what they say by phone.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 29, 2008, 10:11:35 PM

Quote from: Chaz on November 29, 2008, 08:37:33 PM

Going to have to try this, since they already responded and denied me by e-mail.  Will let you know what they say by phone.

If it hasn't shipped yet, can't you just cancel it and then rebuy it again at the lower price?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2008, 10:50:07 PM »

Once it's gone into "Getting ready to ship" status (which has been extremely quick the last two days), you can't cancel or change the order.  One other option is to order a second copy at the lower price, and then do a return on the higher priced one.  Of course, unless you have Prime, they deduct the cost of shipping from the returned copy, which does suck.

Overall, I'm less than impressed with Amazon dropping the prices of sale items for the second day, and then not offering to match that for people that bought the day before.  Makes me more likely to wait for another price drop, and then not buy when it goes back up to regular price.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: