http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 02:55:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Halo 3 Trailer  (Read 1971 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2006, 02:25:36 AM »

did anyone else just catch the new trailer a few minutes ago during Monday Night Football?  i wasn't expecting a lot considering that Bungie admitted to hiring an animation studio instead of doing it themself with the actual game engine, and they didn't really give us much.  i did think the little shield device was cool and would make an interesting addition to the game.  it should be interesting to see how people pick the trailer apart for little hints of things to come over the next few days.

now it's time to try signing up for the beta...

for those who missed the trailer on tv, you can watch it over at xbox.com now...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:37:58 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:50:38 AM »

So what the hell was the point of him throwing down that self-shielding grenade thing when there was no-one around and he just ran and jumped into a huge group of dudes?  What a dork. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 03:35:11 AM »

I cant wait to see the target render, actual game comparisons when this comes out.  May actually be even worse than the Motorstorm one.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 03:35:21 AM »

Remember Halo 2's teaser?  The one where he latched onto that bomb that fell out of that spaceship, rode it down into a covenant spaceship, blew up that spaceship and fell to the planet below?

Remember doing anything near as cool as that in Halo 2?

I don't.  Halo teasers are lame.

And honestly, it's not gameplay, hell, who knows if that's even a segment in the final game - it's just a little something put together by someone other than Bungie to promote hype.  I can't really get excited about it because a specialized CG company made a pretty cool movie with Master Chief in it.  Show me some MP gameplay, then I'll get excited.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 03:42:55 AM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 03:41:20 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 05, 2006, 03:35:21 AM

Remember Halo 2's teaser?  The one where he latched onto that bomb that fell out of that spaceship, rode it down into a covenant spaceship, blew up that spaceship and fell to the planet below?

I don't.  Halo teasers are lame.

just wait for the repetitive levels and enemies!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 03:41:51 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 05, 2006, 03:35:11 AM

I cant wait to see the target render, actual game comparisons when this comes out.  May actually be even worse than the Motorstorm one.

that's the catch with this trailer...Bungie has openly admitted that they hired a CG studio to make the trailer and that it's not using the actual game engine.  the only connection between the appearance of this trailer and the actual game is that Bungie loaned the studio their character models and other assets to use as a starting point.  the new trailer isn't meant to represent actual gameplay graphics, and Bungie has openly stated that fact.  that's a little different than the Motorstorm footage.  i'm not impressed with tonight's debut in any case though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:47:46 AM »

I assume the kid in the beginning is MC, wanting to meet whomever is "out there" I guess its irony. 

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:49:13 AM »

Quote from: disarm on December 05, 2006, 03:41:51 AM

that's the catch with this trailer...Bungie has openly admitted that they hired a CG studio to make the trailer and that it's not using the actual game engine.  the only connection between the appearance of this trailer and the actual game is that Bungie loaned the studio their character models and other assets to use as a starting point.  the new trailer isn't meant to represent actual gameplay graphics, and Bungie has openly stated that fact.  that's a little different than the Motorstorm footage.  i'm not impressed with tonight's debut in any case though.

Thats true.  I guess as long as it isnt advertised as gameplay there is no point in comparing the actual game to this.  Though it is a trend I wish game companies would ditch.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 03:58:47 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 05, 2006, 03:49:13 AM

Quote from: disarm on December 05, 2006, 03:41:51 AM

Though it is a trend I wish game companies would ditch.

Totally agree with that.  What's the f'n point?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 04:12:54 AM »

I find it hard to get excited about footage that isn't gameplay footage.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 04:33:50 AM »

Huh, I thought it was pretty cool.  The point of the grenade was really obvious to me.  He shielded himself from the blast of the incoming artillary fire just before it hit.  He then got the hell out of there only to find a big group of enemies waiting for him.  Gameplay footage will be nice, but I'm just fine with CG stuff (as long as it's out in the open) as it's indicative of some cool cutscenes to come.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 04:34:05 AM »

Remember Halo 2's teaser?  The one where he latched onto that bomb that fell out of that spaceship, rode it down into a covenant spaceship, blew up that spaceship and fell to the planet below?

I don't.  Halo teasers are lame.

Exactly my problem with the Halo series, although I admit to being a fan of the in-game trailers. The teaser for Halo 3 is a definitive "hell yeah" throwdown of a trailer, which would mean more to me if it were for a franchise I actually gave a crap about. :slywink:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 04:51:50 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on December 05, 2006, 04:33:50 AM

Huh, I thought it was pretty cool.  The point of the grenade was really obvious to me.  He shielded himself from the blast of the incoming artillary fire just before it hit.  He then got the hell out of there only to find a big group of enemies waiting for him.  Gameplay footage will be nice, but I'm just fine with CG stuff (as long as it's out in the open) as it's indicative of some cool cutscenes to come.
I agree.  I watched the trailer like 3 times before I figured out why he threw the grenade lol

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 04:58:07 AM »

Yeah, I just rewatched it and saw why he threw the grenade-shield.  The first time I saw it things didn't register quite right, I guess. 

Still, I'm not going to get a hardon for a silly CG trailer.  I'm sick of 'em.  Use them in-game if you must (although in this day and age there is little reason to), but advertise the actual game and not some fake clip. 

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 05:51:18 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on December 05, 2006, 03:47:46 AM

I assume the kid in the beginning is MC, wanting to meet whomever is "out there" I guess its irony. 

+1 that is exactly what I thought the first time I watched it....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 06:43:04 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 05, 2006, 02:50:38 AM

So what the hell was the point of him throwing down that self-shielding grenade thing when there was no-one around and he just ran and jumped into a huge group of dudes?  What a dork. 

Ah, you need to watch the trailer again. You will see incoming artillery coming in on him from the sky. He pops the shield to block the barage.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »

If you note at the end, the master chief is fighting brutes, not elites.  Which makes me think that the covenant civil war is still ongoing.  The new shielding technology hints that the arbiter may have passed on some tech to the humans.

Since the Elites, Hunters, and Grunts are now fighting against the Covenant, we may start seeing a lot of new Covenant units.  It may be the help of the Elites alliance that has prevented earth from being completely overtaken.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »

That was definitely in the game (the first mission)... but as a cut-scene.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »

i downloaded the trailer from marketplace.....and i am confused...the game looks good..and i want it!!...why is that after number 2 was such a let down?

gonna have to play the first two again before this one comes out

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »

Behind NFL 2K5 Halo 2 was my #2 most played Xbox game.  And I never played 1 second of the SP campaign.  I keep saying one day I will get to it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »

That trailer is AWESOME.

I'm no Halo fanboy. 1 was superb, 2 was a huge disappointment and 3 isn't on my list of most wanted. But that trailer kicks all kinds of butt.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 04:31:52 PM »

CGI trailers for video games are bullshit.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 06:48:09 PM »

So...regarding the master chief as the little boy theory....

It doesn't make exact sense to me considering he's a cybernetic being bred on a distant planet already.  Maybe the boy is the source material of the spartans but not this spartan as a little boy directly.   

- shaggy

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 03:03:56 AM »

Or it was just imagery of what Earth was like before this planetary war thingy. 

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 01:04:43 AM »

Just to add something to this thread...

I have read the Halo Books (almost done with Ghost of Onyx) so you can call me a Halo fan boy but from what I understand, the trailer is to help drum up support for a Halo movie and has less to do with Halo 3 coming out a year from now. I think Bungie was planning to have "HALO - THE MOVIE - COMING SOON" at then end of the trailer but looks like production is on hold for that right now. I can see how people would get confused tho.

As far as the two kids, after reading the books I assume that the boy is Master Chief (John) and another spartan-to-be (most likely Kelly) during a quiet moment during their training on Reach. The spartans were trained as small children (before they were given their augmentations and before Earth went to war with the Convenant) and I think the story of how Master Chief became a spartan would be pretty neat to see on the big screen. They wouldn't have to tell it in chonological order but could do the flashback thing. Whos knows? If the quality of the film is up to the standards in the trailer it would be hit.

Didn't Tomb Raider do well? Halo has three time the story and background material to draw upon.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 02:08:36 AM »

It's two kids looking at the sky.
On earth.
Then kaboom.
Covenant invade.
The same place the two kids were at (probably dead!) is the crash site of one Master Chief and what looked like one smashed up warthog.

The shield he used protected him from the mortar blast. Yes it did something.

He whipped out a pistol for a second while running there, and did nothing with it.

Leaps into a pack of elites and one brute.

Yep. Hype me up, I'm ready to stand in line at midnight again.

Gonna eat your face
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 02:45:17 AM »

Actually, those are all brutes.  They look like elites because they're a lot more armored than in the previous game.

There's rumors that the covenant war machine has shifted over to making equipment for the brutes, and perhaps some new enemy types.  This could mean the Elite alliance (elites, hunters, and grunts) are still doing their civil war.

I never liked how brutes, seemingly with no more armor on than an elite, could take more damage than the elite.
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 08:26:41 PM »

Hummm.
I will have to have a watch a few more times then.
I could have sworn that he leaped into a pack of elites surrounding a brute.
Might have just been the blue armor that threw me off.

Gonna eat your face
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on December 08, 2006, 08:26:41 PM

Hummm.
I will have to have a watch a few more times then.
I could have sworn that he leaped into a pack of elites surrounding a brute.
Might have just been the blue armor that threw me off.
From reading around the net it appears quite likely the boy is supposed to be the young MC.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 09:53:53 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on December 07, 2006, 01:04:43 AM

Just to add something to this thread...

I have read the Halo Books (almost done with Ghost of Onyx) so you can call me a Halo fan boy but from what I understand, the trailer is to help drum up support for a Halo movie and has less to do with Halo 3 coming out a year from now. I think Bungie was planning to have "HALO - THE MOVIE - COMING SOON" at then end of the trailer but looks like production is on hold for that right now. I can see how people would get confused tho.
That's not at all what I've heard.
Also, CGI movies can be pretty cool.  See the Bioshock trailer that everyone loved even though it's not at all in game, or the Warhammer ones.  I think the Halo one is really good, but not really the insane quality that Blur puts out there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: