http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new genre  (Read 970 times)
jimmyorr99
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2004, 05:35:40 PM »

in addition to my usual fps's, after i picked up simcity 2000, i was hooked, and i recently picked up simcity4. ive been getting into simulation games lately and have been looking at a few, locomotion which is coming up and roller coaster tycoon3, i had played rct1 and i liked it, so its a logical progression. locomotion is coming out september 14th and rct3 is coming out november2nd, both for the pc.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 05:45:31 PM »

That is an interesting genre.  I'd call it the "Builder" genre.  There really isn't an 'objective' typically, but more a sandbox for you to build what is in your head if you had the tools.  I played the 2nd RCT but after my first de-rail I moved on.  Not my cup of tea...what IS my cup of tea though is games like the upcoming Evil Genious and games like Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper.  Man I miss Bullfrog...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 05:59:05 PM »

Same here, of course, Evil Genius is by a Bullfrog Alum.  And The Movies from Lionhead should be quite fun, from the mind that conceived Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper.

Bullfrog is still around, just under different names smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 10:50:45 PM »

Quote from: "ingrin"
Same here, of course, Evil Genius is by a Bullfrog Alum.  And The Movies from Lionhead should be quite fun, from the mind that conceived Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper.

Bullfrog is still around, just under different names smile

and syndicate. Sweet sweet syndicate.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 11:53:19 PM »

I really like SC2000.  I like it a lot more than SimCity 4, which is just a little too much for me, even with the Rush Hour expansion.  It looks great but just doesn't play as well (to me) as the classics.  Hell, I think the original is fantastic.  SimCity 3000 is okay, but I would probably go with 2000 just because it was nirvana before they went nuts with the traffic simulation.

I've been tempted by the Railroad Tycoon series, but in all honesty I just don't care about trains.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:02:48 PM »

i like 2000, especially with the cheat editor, but 3000 was better for me, tedious at times but over all a better experience. ive now moved on to simcity4 and i really like it, its the whole experience, thats what i like, games that give the entir experience and present it in a real way. transport tycoon was like that for me, it was a total simulation, put me on the spot and immersed me.
good news is that the same producer from that game is making locomotion and rct3, which look to be some of my new classics in the "builder" genre

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: