http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 11:22:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fox Engine demo screenshots  (Read 817 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »

Kojima Productions have a new Fox engine they are showing off

you are meant to decide which are real and which are generated by the fox engine..you can tell if you look closely enough,but from a distance they look quite real and impressive

Spoiler for Hiden:
As you may of guessed,the pictures on the right hand side are the Fox Engine graphics,I guess you can tell because of the lack of reflection on the framed posters,and if you look closely they do look a bit naff,LOL(the frames i mean)

here are some more efforts form the new engine with The Boss's Horse(MGS3)

It's all very well seeing pictures like this,some are saying that MGS5 will look great,which i am sure it will but whether MGS5 is next gen or not doing static pictures is one thing but when it comes to 60fps it may be a little trickier still,i am sure games done on the Fox Engine will look good
http://andriasang.com/con063/fox_engine_lighting/

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »

I was going to post these, too, but I wasn't sure where they should go.  This seems like a good spot.

I was kind of blown away, too.

The hiring ads mention "high end consoles" or some such, which implies that we'll be seeing this on the PS4 and the XBOX not-720-but-some-name-that-you'll-absolutely-hate-at-first-but-then-you'll-get-used-to-it.  So maybe horsepower won't be an issue.

I wonder what kind of armor we can get for Kojima's horse?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 03, 2012, 01:09:48 PM

you are meant to decide which are real and which are generated by the fox engine..you can tell if you look closely enough,but from a distance they look quite real and impressive

I thought the posters were just matte at first glance. There are some pretty glaring issues, though. The falloff on the lights doesn't look quite right either, as in, it's barely there. You can see it the best in the middle picture, the spotlight's reflection on the wall is perfectly round with very little falloff. That's a separate problem, the lights in the ceiling aren't spots, but they're being rendered as them. The shadows in the third picture are wrong as well. The primary light source illuminating the chairs is actually from overhead on the left, not from a shallower angle on the right. To get the shadows on the chairs that are there, the table's shadow would have to be rendered as well.

I'd argue that both UE3 and iDtech5 are vastly better than this in the lighting department.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on March 04, 2012, 02:36:27 PM

I thought the posters were just matte at first glance. There are some pretty glaring issues, though. The falloff on the lights doesn't look quite right either, as in, it's barely there. You can see it the best in the middle picture, the spotlight's reflection on the wall is perfectly round with very little falloff. That's a separate problem, the lights in the ceiling aren't spots, but they're being rendered as them. The shadows in the third picture are wrong as well. The primary light source illuminating the chairs is actually from overhead on the left, not from a shallower angle on the right. To get the shadows on the chairs that are there, the table's shadow would have to be rendered as well.

I'd argue that both UE3 and iDtech5 are vastly better than this in the lighting department.

Your use of "glaring" may be overdoing it.

Especially with your link read fail.

The pictures on the left (the ones with the perfectly round spot with very little falloff) are RL pictures.  The ones on the right are the engine renders.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 04, 2012, 04:08:49 PM

Your use of "glaring" may be overdoing it.

Especially with your link read fail.

The pictures on the left (the ones with the perfectly round spot with very little falloff) are RL pictures.  The ones on the right are the engine renders.

Obviously the ones on the right are the renders, I never said the ones on the left were.  slywink Perhaps it's more a critique on whoever did the lighting for the scene than the engine itself...

For the light on the wall on the middle picture, the real picture has a (real) raindrop shape with a soft edge. It looks blown out a little bit, but that's because of the camera, not the lighting. The whole thing is actually a gradient (excluding the blown out bit) and actually has a yellowish tint. The one on the right has a hard edge in an ellipse (not a perfect circle, I misspoke) with a minimal falloff. It doesn't transition as smoothly. In the image I attached, I put a black circle around the hard edge. The shadows are still broken in all three on the right (look into the corners, they're way too dark).

Don't get me wrong, they don't look bad, the darkened room ones actually look pretty good, but they're nothing to get that excited over. Like I said, UE3 does all of these things better.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:05:40 PM by Calavera » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:02:26 PM »

To be honest, none of this impresses me. It's easy enough to do any sort of demo rendering of a single room and make it look good, especially when working directly from reference.

Get multiple rooms to load quickly, look good, and have good looking characters moving in them, then I'm interested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: