http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 02:07:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New firmware for PSP (3.80) - Internet Radio on PSP + Remote Play PSOne discs!  (Read 3245 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 08:04:41 AM »

Hmm, the remote play deal is cool but it's not perfect. The image I get on the PSP is pixelated, similar to a YouTube video. I put Crash Bandicoot 2 into the PS3 to give it a spin and there is a split-second delay in button response which doesn't work for a Crash Bandicoot game, I also got a connection error once while playing and had to reconnect. I can't see myself using the remote play much in this condition.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 19, 2007, 08:04:41 AM

Hmm, the remote play deal is cool but it's not perfect. The image I get on the PSP is pixelated, similar to a YouTube video. I put Crash Bandicoot 2 into the PS3 to give it a spin and there is a split-second delay in button response which doesn't work for a Crash Bandicoot game, I also got a connection error once while playing and had to reconnect. I can't see myself using the remote play much in this condition.

Yeah it would not work that well for action games.  It probably never will.   You would be better off hacking the PSP and playing off of a memory card for action games.  I think RPGs would work pretty well though.  Unfortunately for there aren't any PS1 RPGs that I want to play.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 19, 2007, 05:12:28 AM

When I informed the girlfriend of my plans to rush out to Costcoize a PSP, she decided it would be my Christmas present instead.  Now I have to wait a week.

Fucks.

gellar

I lol at you. Nancy rules.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »

i have final fantasy 7 playing on my PSP right now

question:..how can i zoom the picture,i did it with crash bandicoot,but thats actually saved on my PSP memory card from the PSN store of the PS3

this is actually one of the best things SONY has done in the last month or two

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 06:18:13 PM »

Well I successfully created a Pandora's Battery last night but didn't have time to update to 3.80 and try this out so that will be on tap for tonight!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2007, 06:22:58 PM »

I need to look into this Pandora's Battery thing... is there a comprehensive link somewhere that you used, Kevin?

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 19, 2007, 06:22:58 PM

I need to look into this Pandora's Battery thing... is there a comprehensive link somewhere that you used, Kevin?

gellar

Yeah, is there a website that explains everything about what you can do, officially and unofficially, with the PSP? The remote play deal doesn't work well enough to warrant it's use, but I sure wouldn't mind putting some PSX games on my PSP to replay.

Small question regarding PSX games, when you download them from the PSN store and put them on your PSP, does it play full screen or are the sides cut? What about when you "hack" the game or whatever and put them on your memory card?

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 19, 2007, 06:22:58 PM

gellar

Unfortunately for me,  no.  I ended up using like five different sites and several Youtube videos before I would find a procedure that worked exactly for me.

But this morning, of course, I found out that I probably did way too much work.  Following a link from wikipedia of all places (never occured to me to look there) it looks like I could have found everything I needed in much simpler form (ie Pandora Easy GUI).  So give this link a try and see if it works for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_homebrew#Pandora.27s_Battery
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2007, 06:33:47 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 19, 2007, 06:27:03 PM

Small question regarding PSX games, when you download them from the PSN store and put them on your PSP, does it play full screen or are the sides cut? What about when you "hack" the game or whatever and put them on your memory card?

You'll have several options- original resolution (smaller box on the screen), scaled but maintaining aspect ratio (ie black bars on the sides) which is my preferred method, and, I think, stretched. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2007, 06:45:21 PM »

Are you using a slim or original still KMG?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2007, 06:46:37 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 19, 2007, 06:45:21 PM

Original. 
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2007, 06:53:40 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 19, 2007, 05:12:28 AM

Fucks.

At least you have something to do for the week.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 07:01:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 19, 2007, 06:46:37 PM

Original. 

You have to make the battery to update the original? Why wont the old tricks work?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2007, 07:07:33 PM »

Is there anywhere on the internets where such a modified battery could be purchased for the lazy like myself?

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2007, 07:17:07 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 19, 2007, 07:01:19 PM

Original. 

You have to make the battery to update the original? Why wont the old tricks work?

Old tricks only continue working as long as you move from hacked firmware to hacked firmware.  Once you go to a "legit" firmware you need a method of re-hacking the PSP.  Pandora's battery does that.  When used it can reflash the firmware back to 1.50 and from there you can go to the custom firmware of your choice. 

For me, my primary reason to run hacked firmware is PS1 emulation but it's a pain in the ass to update it every time a game releases that requires higher firmware.  With this remote play feature I'm hoping I can just use that functionality for PS1 emulation and manage to stay legit on firmware updates.  But if I either don't like it or they custom firmware becomes attractive again for some other reason I still want an out to re-hack it. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 19, 2007, 07:07:33 PM

Is there anywhere on the internets where such a modified battery could be purchased for the lazy like myself?

gellar

I'm pretty sure you can get them on Ebay. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2007, 07:52:56 PM »

A video of the awesome in action:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/19/todays-most-remote-video-ffvii-on-your-psp/

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2007, 07:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 19, 2007, 07:17:07 PM

Quote from: Calvin on December 19, 2007, 07:01:19 PM

Original. 

Old tricks only continue working as long as you move from hacked firmware to hacked firmware.  Once you go to a "legit" firmware you need a method of re-hacking the PSP.  Pandora's battery does that.  When used it can reflash the firmware back to 1.50 and from there you can go to the custom firmware of your choice. 

For me, my primary reason to run hacked firmware is PS1 emulation but it's a pain in the ass to update it every time a game releases that requires higher firmware.  With this remote play feature I'm hoping I can just use that functionality for PS1 emulation and manage to stay legit on firmware updates.  But if I either don't like it or they custom firmware becomes attractive again for some other reason I still want an out to re-hack it. 

Thanks for the info-did you buy another battery or use the one it came with? I would like to simply use the remote play functionality, but my primary use for this (the DS idea is finished now) is for my long ass metro rides-and obviously wifi is not going to happen there-so I need to rip my games to a mem card. Should I try this new pandoras battery?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2007, 08:04:14 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 19, 2007, 07:59:56 PM

Thanks for the info-did you buy another battery or use the one it came with? I would like to simply use the remote play functionality, but my primary use for this (the DS idea is finished now) is for my long ass metro rides-and obviously wifi is not going to happen there-so I need to rip my games to a mem card. Should I try this new pandoras battery?

The battery issue is complicated- I read conflicting reports that Sony might have started Pandora-proofing new batteries but I don't know if that is true.  I did buy a new battery (you basically have to) but I used my original battery for the Pandora's battery and then put the new battery in for regular use. 

Sounds like you definitely want to hack your PSP and I think that requires going the Pandora's battery route for the slim models.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2007, 08:09:14 PM »

Played about 2 hours of Vagrant Story last night.

Something that was interesting to me was when I was playing a PSOne game through remote play, it kept telling me if my friends were signing off or on.  You can't access the XMB (maybe in the future), but I thought it was cool that you were still connected to PSN and able to receive those messages.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2007, 08:10:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 19, 2007, 08:04:14 PM

Quote from: Calvin on December 19, 2007, 07:59:56 PM

The battery issue is complicated- I read conflicting reports that Sony might have started Pandora-proofing new batteries but I don't know if that is true.  I did buy a new battery (you basically have to) but I used my original battery for the Pandora's battery and then put the new battery in for regular use. 

Sounds like you definitely want to hack your PSP and I think that requires going the Pandora's battery route for the slim models.
Well I sold the old one remember? So now im either going to get a used one or a black slim one...trying to figure this out to help decide. Any advice?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »

For the Slim models, yes, you need to make a Pandora Battery.

For a non-Slim, as long as your console isn't too high up in the version numbers, you can downgrade it 'normally'. If it's above that point, then you'll also have to Pandora Battery.

People are selling them on eBay, and you can make your own (and still have it work as a normal battery too, as far as I've read) if you have a system capable of running homebrew.

And finally, yes, Sony is releasing batteries that are non-Pandorable. They weren't exactly happy when the hacking community released the ultimate solution to hack all PSPs in existence.

Calvin - I'd get a used old model, personally. It might be easier to hack (assuming the version number), and I never liked the new PSP for whatever reason. It's like the new DS - it's just too small.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2007, 08:18:29 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 19, 2007, 08:10:14 PM

Well I sold the old one remember? So now im either going to get a used one or a black slim one...trying to figure this out to help decide. Any advice?

If you can find an old model with firmware 3.50 or below then that would probably be easiest (I think that's the dividing line between where you have to have Pandora's Battery for).  However if it's above 3.50 then I would say just go with the slim and either create or buy an existing Pandora's battery.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2007, 08:27:32 PM »

Thanks guys! I am incredibly OCD with decisions like this. Buy a psp, sell a psp, buy a ds, cancel order, rebuy psp. I am not quite sure what is wrong with me but it would derail the thread to figure it out. Suffice it to say I think I might actually play it on the metro.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2007, 09:02:41 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 19, 2007, 08:27:32 PM

I am incredibly OCD

I edited your post to the crux of the matter.

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2007, 09:27:51 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 19, 2007, 08:09:14 PM

Played about 2 hours of Vagrant Story last night.

Something that was interesting to me was when I was playing a PSOne game through remote play, it kept telling me if my friends were signing off or on.  You can't access the XMB (maybe in the future), but I thought it was cool that you were still connected to PSN and able to receive those messages.

Have you tried testing remote play from outside of your home? Also, where is the option to activate the remote play via internet so that I can turn it on from wherever I'm at?

Sean Lama
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2007, 02:42:00 AM »

I have not frown  I am able to connect via the Internet from my home, which worked just fine.

The option to activate remote play via the Internet and when your PS3 is off is under the "Settings" tab on the XMB, then "Remote Play Settings."

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2007, 03:26:45 AM »

Just finished playing a half hour of FFIX and remote play works as advertised.  Didn't have a single issue the entire time.  It's a really cool feature.  I connected both via my "private" PSP/PS3 connection as well as the Internet connection (including turning the PS3 itself on and off) and both worked perfectly. 

If there is one slight problem it's that there seems to be some loss of visual fidelity compared to a program that is being natively rendered by the PSP.  FF9 probably takes a hit in that department more than most PS1 games because the amount of detail in that game frankly dwarfs what most other PS1 games were doing.  Colors also seemed slightly washed out compared to native images as well. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2007, 03:52:24 AM »

Man, I must be the only PSP owner around here who doesn't care about internet radio or playing PS1 games.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2007, 05:49:50 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 20, 2007, 03:52:24 AM

Man, I must be the only PSP owner around here who doesn't care about internet radio or playing PS1 games.

I dunno, but I absolutely love how versatile they're making the device.  It was always cool to play music and videos on it...but now...to be able to stream that stuff of your PS3 which is streaming it off your PC pretty much makes memory cards obsolete (granted you have a wifi connection). 

If I'm going somewhere that I know has wifi, I take my PSP, not my DS.  My DS is a one-trick pony and my PSP is like, Macgyver...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2007, 06:33:48 AM »

I don't know whether or not I'll be taking full advantage of these features or not, but damned if just knowing my PSP can do it doesn't make me excited to own one.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:35:20 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »

Just a small thing I found out tonight - after playing some more Vagrant Story on my PSP (via Remote Play), I was curious to see if I get start the folding program via Remote Play and VIOLA, it works!  Started the Folding@Home program and closed my Remote Play session.

Very cool biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2007, 03:03:41 AM »

No, it's the two of us. smile

I have zero interest in both, won't even upgrade, even though my PSP is not hacked or anything. It's not worth it jumping through the hoops setting everything up. Maybe, later. Or not. smile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: