http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New firmware for PS3 (2.10) - More videos supported  (Read 1571 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »

Changes via the Official Playstation.Blog:

We are introducing a much-requested video playback format with this update: DivX and VC-1 (WMV) videos become playable in the Video section of the XMB. This update also brings the PS3’s Blu-ray drive up to Profile 1.1. “Picture in Picture” and other enhancements become available on Profile 1.1 compatible Blu-ray discs.

A voice changer feature is added, enabling you to change the tone of your voice during voice or video chat.

To put things plainly, all the videos that didn't work before, work now.  I stream videos off my computer, and only about 25% of the videos actually worked.  Now, though, I'm streaming nearly EVERY SINGLE video off my PC.  All different kinds of files, all the movies I have, it's beautiful.

The new visualizer for the audio player is BEAUTIFUL.  Definitely check it out, guys.

Hopefully we'll get in-game XMB in the future, but I'm not complaining with splendid updates like 2.10.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:12:44 PM »

Wonderful! Voice chat is still unusable, I moved 3000 miles, yet still can rarely connect to PSN properly with a different router, modem, and cable company, Warhawk is unplayably laggy, PSN downloads and demos are still few and far between and once a week, but now I can listen to music with pretty colors in the background?

Stellar.  thumbsup

Where the fuck is Hot Shots Golf 5 Sony?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 01:30:42 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 18, 2007, 01:12:44 PM

I'm playing it right now! smile  I wonder if this is in response to MS allowing DivX to be played on the 360?  If so then that is why I love competition! TML how do you stream files off your computer?  Please share.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:59:37 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 18, 2007, 01:30:42 PM

I'm playing it right now! smile  I wonder if this is in response to MS allowing DivX to be played on the 360?  If so then that is why I love competition! TML how do you stream files off your computer?  Please share.

I think it's coincidence.  Their were strong rumors that PS3 would be getting DivX support soon even before MS announced their fall update. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:14:22 PM »

Wonderful! Voice chat is still unusable, I moved 3000 miles, yet still can rarely connect to PSN properly with a different router, modem, and cable company, Warhawk is unplayably laggy, PSN downloads and demos are still few and far between and once a week, but now I can listen to music with pretty colors in the background?

Personally I have found connection issues and download speeds on PSN to be much improved lately.  I agree with you about voice chat though. It's pretty useless. At this point all I really want to see is the in-game crossmedia bar.  The multimedia stuff is nice I guess.  But I never use it anyway.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 18, 2007, 01:30:42 PM

Tversity will do the job, and it's free. Otherwise you just need a DNLA compatibel server I think. WMP and Nero can do it too, but haven't tried those.
It works okay and you can even play formats not supported by the ps3/360 if your system is fast enough, allthough you'll lose a lot of quality.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:34:26 PM »

i'd like to know exactly how to get videos/movies i have on my computer to play on my tv through the PS3 as well.   i have a ton of stuff and nothing even shows up in my video list.   the PS3 finds my computer, but shows no video files.

someone tell me how to do this exactly?   got some stuff i'd definitely like to watch i have on my computer.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »

On a side note they are updating Warhawk on Thurs to version 1.2 and releasing the first expansion on the same day.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »

...Warhawk is unplayably laggy...

Wait - when was the last time you've played Warhawk?

Awesome update - I'm all for the PS3 supporting more video formats   thumbsup

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 04:00:20 PM »

This update also made the PS3 the first Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 compliant player, which is a very cool thing.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 04:23:28 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 18, 2007, 03:10:04 PM

...Warhawk is unplayably laggy...

Wait - when was the last time you've played Warhawk?

Awesome update - I'm all for the PS3 supporting more video formats   thumbsup

The other night when I got into a game and no one would move because of lag, and the night before that when I tried to join up with you and every game was at 999. Kthnx?

Any my other points are a lot harder to just shoo away, since they are objective, provable issues that more people than I are having. Let's just be honest here. PSN is a disaster for a lot more people than just me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:24:59 PM by Calvin » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 04:59:45 PM »

Stellar.  thumbsup

Seriously, you must have a connection issue because in the 25 hours I've put into Warhawk, I've experienced lag in maybe 1 round total.  Voice works great in both Warhawk AND Call of Duty (from reports I've read), as well.  And I download things from the Playstation store at nearly the same rate as the Xbox Marketplace.  Either it's a connection issue, you've got a broken PS3, or you're really unlucky.

Quote from: Canuck

It's incredibly easy.  On the Videos tab on the XMB, it says "Search for Media Servers."  My PS3 automatically recognizes my computer (and my laptop, actually), and I go ahead and go into "My Videos" folder of my PC on my PS3.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »

Also, remote play for any ps1 games you've download is confirmed...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »

I've never tried voice, but my PS3 hooks up to PSN just fine and plays the few online games I've tried with zero lag.

Knowing Calvin, I'm gonna have to go with user error or his typical spectacular luck here.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 06:20:20 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 18, 2007, 05:11:03 PM

I've never tried voice, but my PS3 hooks up to PSN just fine and plays the few online games I've tried with zero lag.

Knowing Calvin, I'm gonna have to go with user error or his typical spectacular luck here.

gellar

It's not user error dummy. Go practice hitting driver more than 200.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 06:31:58 PM »

TML, any idea why i can't see my video files from my pc?   I can search and it shows my pc, but it doesn't have any files.   I have probably 100 or so different type of video files and it shows nothing.

Any clue?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 18, 2007, 06:31:58 PM

TML, any idea why i can't see my video files from my pc?   I can search and it shows my pc, but it doesn't have any files.   I have probably 100 or so different type of video files and it shows nothing.

Any clue?

Are you sharing the files?

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 06:45:13 PM »

I know I'm risking a Depward/TML barrage by responding on a PS3 related topic, but have you shared the content out in media player yet?

In WMP11, the steps are:

Tools -> Options -> Library -> Configure Sharing, choose the "share my media" checkbox, and then just make sure that your junk is indexed in the media player library.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on December 18, 2007, 06:45:13 PM

I know I'm risking a Depward/TML barrage by responding on a PS3 related topic, but have you shared the content out in media player yet?

In WMP11, the steps are:

Tools -> Options -> Library -> Configure Sharing, choose the "share my media" checkbox, and then just make sure that your junk is indexed in the media player library.

No barrage, I have absolutely no issues with you.

No, I'm not sharing the files.  After I select my computer, and then Videos, I search for videos by folder and it starts out in my My Videos folder.  Maybe your files aren't in that main folder?

TheMissingLink on PSN
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »

You've also gotta make sure the PS3 is allowed to talk to your PC using whatever sharing program you are using.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 06:57:12 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 18, 2007, 06:49:32 PM

In WMP11, the steps are:

No, I'm not sharing the files.  After I select my computer, and then Videos, I search for videos by folder and it starts out in my My Videos folder.  Maybe your files aren't in that main folder?

Are you saying that the folder isn't being shared on the network?

I don't think you need to use Media Player with the PS3.  But I do think you need to be at least sharing the files over your LAN.  At least that's how I have done it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »

i think i'll hook up my external player to the ps3 from now on. 

or, even better, will this work with an external networked drive share? 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 07:05:04 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 18, 2007, 06:57:12 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 18, 2007, 06:49:32 PM

In WMP11, the steps are:

Are you saying that the folder isn't being shared on the network?

I don't think you need to use Media Player with the PS3.  But I do think you need to be at least sharing the files over your LAN.  At least that's how I have done it.

Ah, just checking my settings, "My Videos" folder is being shared.  That's all you need to do, if I recall correctly.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 01:59:46 AM »

can the voice changer make you sound like Darth Vader?  that would be cool......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 04:16:52 AM »

So is this stuff being shared wirelessly or do you need to have a lan cable connected between your PC and your PS3?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 05:47:42 AM »

Wirelessly.  My PS3 discovers my PC and makes it a media server.  I then go into my "My Videos" folder off my PC via my PS3.  Nearly every video I've tried works.

Also in the update, a beautiful visualizer that I'm watching right now.  Plus, the ability to use the web browser and listen to music (not sure if this was included earlier or not...).

TheMissingLink on PSN
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 06:17:12 AM »

Ok so im gonna need a tutorial on how to set this up.  My PS3 doesnt pick up my laptop at all.  I've gone to Network connections and run the Network Setup wizard but the only thing it sees is my Local Area Connection ethernet card and it doesn't seem to have the wireless doohickey.  Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing.  Someone please help smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 07:31:42 AM »

I've tried the Nero MediaShare thingamabober.  We'll see how that works.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 07:46:24 AM »

Bingo! I'm not having much luck with the video though.  My X-Files episodes say "data unsupported" or something like that.  But I'm pretty sure they're Xvid/AVI or whatever.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 09:18:45 AM »

Does the PS3 not allow the stream to buffer?  Because when Nero transcodes it to MPEG 2 (since the PS3 wont play my Xfiles avi's) it's choppy as hell.  I thought maybe I could just hit the pause button and let it buffer like you can with YouTube but for some reason I can't pause.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »

I'm fairly certain the PS3 doesn't allow the stream to buffer.  I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles, I wish I could be of more help.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2007, 11:11:34 AM »

Well I used tversity before to transcode the files since it didn't support divx/xvid.
But it's not very good, so I thought I'd test WMP.
Is it me or is it a major resource hog ? it lags my entire system when scanning for files, and most of the time it just freezes when looking for new files. I've tried with a dir with only 20 .avi files and it takes forever.
Nero is even worse, if I don't use nero scout it doesn't find any files (add the dirs manually), and if I use scout it takes ages to scan, even though I only select 1 dir that it should scan it still scans the rest of the system.
Tversity still plays everything nicely, but if you want to copy the files to the ps3 you have to disable transcoding (I think,  at least it worked for me, otherwise it reports a 300mb file being 1.5gb for some reason). Only problem is that you have to 'refresh' the server if you add new files.

Is there any way to make the ps3 just find my shared folders ? Someone mentioned it, but it doesn't find my shared folders. Do I have to do something or should it find it automatically ?

I'm using a wireless connection. I really wish I could just share a folder without any 3rd party apps, instead of having to run tversity
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »

I'm using Nero Media Share.  I didn't bother scanning for files-I just added the folders that I wanted shared. It was easy as pie.  My only problem is that when Nero is transcoding on the fly the video files are absolutely unwatchable.  I can't seem to pause the video and let it buffer either.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »

Here's another question-how do I get it to play ALL of my music files?  It always just plays the one piece of music and then stops.  I want to to randomly play ALL of my music!
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 03:00:37 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 20, 2007, 11:39:23 AM

I'm using Nero Media Share.  I didn't bother scanning for files-I just added the folders that I wanted shared. It was easy as pie.  My only problem is that when Nero is transcoding on the fly the video files are absolutely unwatchable.  I can't seem to pause the video and let it buffer either.

Tversity have more options for transcoding quality, check out http://weblog.bbzzdd.com/2007/08/04/optimizing-tversity-for-the-ps3-part-i/.

The playback errors are most likely because your computer is too slow or your network is too slow.  Mine does it when theres a lot of traffic on my network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: