http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:13:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New DS Lite?  (Read 797 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:02:53 AM »

Kotaku and DS Fanboy are reporting rumours of a new DS priced at $100.  Sounds interesting! I would be interested in the DS if they could make it a little smaller, or at least make the screens a little bigger.  As for the supposed included accelometer-meh.  It'll be a fad, just like the stylus! biggrin
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:58:57 AM »

Well, there's a significant problem with motion controls on a handheld.  As you move the handheld, you can't see the screen.  However, it's still possible to use it much like how the DS uses its other features in weird ways (blowing and yelling at the microphone for example).
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:06:51 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 15, 2008, 05:02:53 AM

Kotaku and DS Fanboy are reporting rumours of a new DS priced at $100.  Sounds interesting! I would be interested in the DS if they could make it a little smaller, or at least make the screens a little bigger.  As for the supposed included accelometer-meh.  It'll be a fad, just like the stylus! biggrin

An even smaller DS would definitely be a no go for me. I can't even play certain games on the Lite without my hands cramping up.  icon_eek  Even my 11 year old son prefers my original for some games. Personally I'd love Big N to release a DS the size of the original but with adjustable screen brightness; no doubt I'm in the minority on that though.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:04:10 AM »

When I say smaller what I mean is a little slimmer. I don't know if that would still be a problem for you or not.  I still want them to enlarge the screens at least.  I know there's room in that frame for growth!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »

The big negative for me is the drop of the GBA slot, though I rarely use it for GBA games, I like the idea of having it available.  More importantly, I use it for the rumble strip constantly.  If they add rumble support, I'd think about it (of course, I wouldn't be able to play Guitar Hero: On Tour).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »

yeah, i don't see them dropping the gba slot any time soon.  it would cut the rug out from under future guitar hero games.

i would love a newer system with more psp or iphone like capabilities and a bigger set of screens.  make it ds1 compatible and give it a built in net browser or other pda apps and i'd buy one on launch.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 16, 2008, 05:32:27 PM

yeah, i don't see them dropping the gba slot any time soon.  it would cut the rug out from under future guitar hero games.

That and Nintendo LOVES BC (unlike the other two companies). Yet another reason why the DS (and Wii) sold so well - 100% BC with the older generation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 16, 2008, 05:54:47 PM

That and Nintendo LOVES BC (unlike the other two companies). Yet another reason why the DS (and Wii) sold so well - 100% BC with the older generation.

I love that I can play GBA games on the DS. I think I've used my GBA slot for about half my gaming on my DS.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on July 16, 2008, 05:59:39 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 16, 2008, 05:54:47 PM

I love that I can play GBA games on the DS. I think I've used my GBA slot for about half my gaming on my DS.

But, eventually, they do lose it.  The DS is not combatible with the old GB games, for example (though the original GBA was, IIRC, but later versions dropped this, too).  I don't think it's time for that yet, but Nintendo does like to keep cranking out new versions of their handhelds.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »

If the GBA SP could lose something as critical as a headphone jack for form factor limitations, I think the GBA slot is very much at risk for the next DS revision.

I don't want a smaller DS, though; this one fits my hands just fine.  I think the only selling point that could make me want to replace my Lite is a DS with a much bigger screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: