http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:47:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Atari Console?  (Read 1488 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2004, 10:05:54 PM »

If you haven't heard, Atari is releasing the Atari 7800 in a plug to TV game form. Its called Atari Flashback. However thats not what I'm talking about.

I've been picking up rumors here and there that Atari is planning on releasing a real console next year. Not a console to compete with Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo but a real console just the game. I've been told two stories. One is a Vsmile like system to play classic and classic like games. It would be retro looking with carts but more advance than straight up emulation. Another is a more or less modern DVD based system aimed at classic, family, and Atari properties.
I don't follow the console news too much so I don't know if this is common knowledge or not.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 10:39:46 PM »

That is the first I've heard of it, and I've been hanging out at AtariAge a lot lately.  I'd love to see a retro-console that could actually play the old cartridges, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 10:41:35 PM »

In the atari age forums they had some guy hinting about this when flashback was annouced. Can't find it at the moment though...

ebane67
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 03:21:15 AM »

All I can say is...Jaguar...
I dont think I will fall for it again.

I'm Hudson, HE'S Hicks...sir
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 04:52:19 PM »

Quote from: "ebane67"

Eh... the Jaguar was put out by the Atari of old.  The current "Atari" is just a renamed Infogrammes... that's the only connection between the two.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 06:26:29 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Eh... the Jaguar was put out by the Atari of old.  The current "Atari" is just a renamed Infogrammes... that's the only connection between the two.

Not entirely because all this console talk is coming from Atari Labs (Atari US) which is close to the original Atari in location and several ex-atari developers do work for Atari Labs. One of the Flair II (aka Jaguar) does.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 07:32:02 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Quote from: "Laner"

Not entirely because all this console talk is coming from Atari Labs (Atari US) which is close to the original Atari in location and several ex-atari developers do work for Atari Labs. One of the Flair II (aka Jaguar) does.

Really?  Hmm... interesting.  Hopefully there is something to the rumors.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 10:51:33 PM »

I would not waist my time.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Flojomojo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 04:10:57 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath ... hardware is a tough business.  Sure, you reap the rewards if you control the platform, but it's pretty much winner take all.  I wouldn't want to go up against Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo even if I were the biggest software publisher in Europe, just like Infogrames.

The Flashback looks like a neat little toy for the price, though ...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 07:40:45 PM »

I'd was initially excited about the Flashback, until they said it only came with about 20 games.  Hell, I can go buy one of those joysticks that has about that many games in it for $20.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 08:16:35 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I'd was initially excited about the Flashback, until they said it only came with about 20 games.  Hell, I can go buy one of those joysticks that has about that many games in it for $20.

True... I thought it was originally offered with 30 games.  Either way, you could get a real Atari 2600 + 20 somewhat common games for not much more than the Flashback:

http://www.4jays.com/atari2600.11.html

Scroll down to the Junior Special Package... It's $70, but I'm sure you could find a similar lot on ebay for less.  I'd rather have that anyway - there's just something about playing the real thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: