http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 11:51:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 360 owner - suggestions please  (Read 2300 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

Tomorrow I intend to buy my first Xbox 360, and I'm looking for advice on games.  So far I have my eye on GTA 4, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and Mercenaries 2.  But, with console games at frankly insane prices, I'm very interested in older, cheaper gems.  What should I look up?

Also, my girlfriend will be looking for puzzle games, RPGs in the Final Fantasy/Zelda moulds and cutesy platform stuff like Spyro.  Multiplayer does not interest either of us (except for split-screen co-op which absolutely does interest us), at least not at the moment.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »

If you want something along the lines of a Zelda game and you're looking for split screen, you can't go wrong with Kameo. It was a release game and you should be able to pick it up for cheap; I bought a copy last year for $10. As well I think Perfect Dark Zero is a fairly underated game, esepecially if played co-op. It's a shooter through and through, but because Joanna Dark is just about as cool as Lara Croft your gilfriend might enjoy it too.

There's some decent platforming games on XBLA, the most recent Banjo Kazooie remake is by far the best one I've played.
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 01:50:21 AM »

Castle Crashers is a fun XBLA game.  Don't forget about Rock band
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:28:54 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 05, 2008, 11:03:00 PM

Tomorrow I intend to buy my first Xbox 360, and I'm looking for advice on games.  So far I have my eye on GTA 4, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and Mercenaries 2. 

Fallout 3 alone could get you 100 hours of gameplay.

Also, my girlfriend will be looking for puzzle games, RPGs in the Final Fantasy/Zelda moulds and cutesy platform stuff like Spyro.  Multiplayer does not interest either of us (except for split-screen co-op which absolutely does interest us), at least not at the moment.

She wants puzzle games and RPG's? try the Puzzle Quest demo on XBL.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 02:30:12 AM »

Crackdown is an excellent substitute for GTA4. Less story, more smashy-smashy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
KC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 02:46:21 AM »

Here are my suggestions:

Uno (XBLA)
Braid (XBLA)
Tales of Vesperia
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars (for coop)
Fable 2
Overlord
Viva Pinata (the first one)
Madden 09
NHL 09

BTW, I would skip Mercenaries 2.  The reviews were not that good.

Also, the Gamespot email coupon this week is 20% off used 360 games (you can find a copy at cheapassgamer.com).  You get an extra 10% off if you have their Edge card.  The good thing about Gamestop is that they have a 7 day return policy on used games, so you can try a few game or two that you otherwise wouldn't.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:53:24 AM »

Cheap "must haves", IMHO:

Retail:
Crackdown
Dead Rising
GRAW (1 and 2 are cheap)
RS:Vegas 1 (dirt cheap)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Assassin's Creed

Live Arcade games:
Settlers of Catan
Puzzle Quest

You got a lot of really good, really cheap games available right now.  Go to town, my boy!   icon_biggrin

edit:  oh man, mass effect is 19.99 used at gamestop?  put that on my list.   icon_wink
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:54:59 AM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 03:35:15 AM »

If your girlfriend is looking for an RPG like Final Fantasy then Lost Odyssey is probably the ticket for her.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »

This is great stuff, thanks for all the suggestions.  I've been making my way through the 360 reviews right here on GT - which gave Mercenaries 2 a Gold Medal, by the way, KC. slywink  I really enjoyed the first one on the PS2, at least.

Puzzle Quest we already have on PC thanks to another thread on this board, and you're all right, my girlfriend absolutely loves it!

Ah, now, the Tom Clancy games - good call, I'd forgotten about those.  I'll probably get them all eventually, especially the Ghost Recon series.  I've had some really good times playing those split-screen.

Crackdown - yes, I remember a lot of buzz about this when it came out ages ago.  Apparently it was quite good!  That's going on the list.  And Fable 2, dunno how I could forget about that.  I had the first one on PC and it cracked me up, and it's a game we will both play too.

So, this marketplace stuff.  I assume you don't need a Gold membership to buy games from it?  Do the games usually have demos?  I'm thinking my girlfriend is going to spend all of our money in there...

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.  I'm going to read up on them all.  I'm heading into town today with some Wii games to trade in, and the knowledge that there should be some good holiday deals going on at the shop, so I plan to start out with a good handful of games.  Can't wait!  icon_biggrin

Steam profile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 08:15:12 AM »

No Gold membership needed to buy games from the marketplace and not needed to download demos either.

You need a copy of Oblivion for 360?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 08:26:34 AM »

Thank you, but we already have it on the PC.  I actually did ask my gf if she wants to get it for 360 anyway, but she doesn't.  I think she has almost 100 hours on her current game and doesn't want to start again!

Steam profile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »

Wow that's hot! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 04:35:07 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 06, 2008, 08:01:35 AM

This is great stuff, thanks for all the suggestions.  I've been making my way through the 360 reviews right here on GT - which gave Mercenaries 2 a Gold Medal, by the way, KC. slywink  I really enjoyed the first one on the PS2, at least.

and if you're ever feeling lost in the game you could come back here for advice icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »

Well, after a nightmarish day of doing Christmas shopping and fighting through all the old biddies buying games for the grandkids (all brandishing handwritten notes stating which games to get), I finally got my 360!

To cut a long story short, out of convenience we had to buy a bundle: 360 Premium, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Far Cry 2, and...ahem...Sega Superstar Tennis and PGR4.

We also picked up Fable 2 for my gf but I will definitely play that at some point too.  In a week or two I'm going to get either GTA 4 or Fallout 3, and a second controller for some lovely co-op action.

Again, thank you to all who helped me out here, I appreciate it.  I'm going to research every game mentioned, and talk nicely to the bank manager. slywink

Steam profile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 06, 2008, 04:35:07 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 06, 2008, 08:01:35 AM

and if you're ever feeling lost in the game you could come back here for advice icon_twisted

Hehe, too true.  I think they have released the patch that was supposed to fix those little annoying things though, right?  Either way, I did enjoy the time I spent with Mercs 2 (though probably not as much as Crackdown).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »

Whoever said Crackdown wins the thread. That game is about 5 different kinds of awesome. In fact, I need to start playing that again.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 07:26:03 PM »

Considering how cheap it is compared to new games, I could well buy Crackdown next actually.

Steam profile
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »

Argh this thing is frigging NOISY!  I can't imagine playing something with atmosphere, like Silent Hill, on it!  Is there anything that can be done?

Steam profile
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 09:05:06 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 06, 2008, 08:35:13 PM

Argh this thing is frigging NOISY!  I can't imagine playing something with atmosphere, like Silent Hill, on it!  Is there anything that can be done?

Install it to the hard drive if you have space available (you usually need 5 or 6 gigs free).
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »

Thanks.  Ah, that means updating the dashboard, it seems.  No can do right now, I need a longer ethernet cable than the one supplied.  I'll be damned if I'm paying 45 eek to enable wireless.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 10:18:47 PM »

You'll want to get a cable soon so you can patch your games.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »

Yeah, I will do.

In other news: Gears of War kicks arse!  It's very reminiscent of Killzone which I just loved on the PS2.  And the graphics are unbelievable.  The stone buildings look almost real and the effects like stray bullets chipping away at stone columns are the best such effects I've ever seen, PC included.

No buyer's remorse this time!

Steam profile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »

I suggest you get a extended warranty... nod
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »

Left 4 Dead!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 01:36:47 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on December 08, 2008, 11:02:58 PM

I agree. Either that or you need to have bought it at Costco. Your 360 WILL break, and odds are good it'll break EXACTLY when you buy a new game, or want to have it available during some holiday when your family is over, or...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 02:07:52 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 09, 2008, 01:36:47 AM

I agree. Either that or you need to have bought it at Costco. Your 360 WILL break, and odds are good it'll break EXACTLY when you buy a new game, or want to have it available during some holiday when your family is over, or...

do they have Costco's over there?

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 02:53:52 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 09, 2008, 01:36:47 AM

Keep in mind that the people who are getting screwed are early adopters... the new consoles don't have the heat issues that the old ones did; but people who have the older ones only get older ones as replacement. That being said, the new ones can still fail; hell ALL electronics will fail at some point. It's just not as bad as it was for some of us (I'm on #10).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 03:23:36 AM »

I would recommend the following:

You:
Gears of War 1 & 2 - Two i found better
BioShock
Portal

GF:
Portal - Even if she doesn't play, my wife loves to watch me play to help.
Puzzle Quest
Luxor 2

Both:
ROCK BANK 2!!
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »

Yeah, we have GoW 1 & 2.  In fact, I'm enjoying them and Far Cry 2 - which is not just the basic shooter I was expecting - so much that they'll keep me going for quite a while.  Bioshock I have coming for Christmas on the PC.

I don't know anything at all about Portal, might have to read up on it.

I was offered the extended warranty in-store but I declined out of habit.  However, the console came with the offer of a three-year service contract from MS so maybe I'll take them up on it.  Looks like it's in their best interest to make shoddy hardware...

Steam profile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »

You can't go wrong with Fallout 3, lol - so says an addict!   icon_eek

For the GF, don't forget about backwards compatibility... one I'd suggest (that has already gone over quite well with about 5 people of all ages that I've recommended it to) is:  "Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee."  That is actually the game that convinced me to get an XBox. It is a bit of platforming with a bit of puzzle solving, in a very user-friendly way.  I came to a screeching halt in K-Mart one day, when I saw the demo of it - and the rest is history.

Also, try "Zuma" - I didn't get caught up in it like I did Tetris and Dr. Mario, but friends who like puzzle games did.  It's an XBox Live Arcade game.

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting - if you don't have hardware problems (as noted, much less frequent nowadays) - I suspect you will be a convert for life!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 09:54:42 PM »

Yeah, well it certainly seems to be the way to go for console gaming right now.  I have no desire to have a Blu-Ray player and Sony seem to have lost or are losing their exclusives anyway, so I wasn't in any danger of buying a PS3.  And the Wii...well, nice console, shame they forgot about the games. slywink

I'm really pleased with the 360 right now, the only thing that's bothering me at all is the noise, so I'm eagerly awaiting the new ethernet cable so I can start installing games.  The controller is nicer than I was expecting it to be, and graphically the games are just blowing me away, I haven't seen anything like it.  Far Cry 2 looks almost real.

Thanks for the reminder about backwards compatibility, Myto.  I'll have to check out some old gems, for example I might see what all the fuss about that Halo thingy was!  Oddworld rings a bell too, I'm sure we had one in that series on either the PSX or PS2.

So many games, so little time.  Going out is way overrated anyway!

Steam profile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 10:30:10 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 09, 2008, 09:54:42 PM

I'm really pleased with the 360 right now, the only thing that's bothering me at all is the noise, so I'm eagerly awaiting the new ethernet cable so I can start installing games. 

If you have a DVD burner, you can download the update and burn it to media for installation.  Instructions here.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »

Ah, cool!  If I'd known that a couple of days ago I'd have done it, but the cable should arrive tomorrow and I'll be going to bed in a few minutes.  Thanks for the info though.

Steam profile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »

There is a newer Oddworld game - maybe even for the 360, but it's name escapes me now.  It has a character that looks a bit like Joe Camel, someone will know the name, lol.  The one I recommend, especially for anyone who isn't necessarily into shooters, is Munch's Oddysey for the original XBox.  It has a little of everything (even a bit of gore, but not realistic type yucky gore) and it's funny as well.

And you are right, going out is extremely overrated.  It's not bitterly cold and windy in Fallout 3!  Actually, it might be, but it's quite comfortable in my den...

Sleep well, don't let the zombies bite!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »

If you haven't already picked it up, you can get Crackdown off buy.com for about 12 bucks for the time being.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on December 09, 2008, 10:48:34 PM

There is a newer Oddworld game - maybe even for the 360, but it's name escapes me now.  It has a character that looks a bit like Joe Camel, someone will know the name, lol.  The one I recommend, especially for anyone who isn't necessarily into shooters, is Munch's Oddysey for the original XBox.  It has a little of everything (even a bit of gore, but not realistic type yucky gore) and it's funny as well.

And you are right, going out is extremely overrated.  It's not bitterly cold and windy in Fallout 3!  Actually, it might be, but it's quite comfortable in my den...

The awesome Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is not backwards compatible, sadly.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 09:54:06 PM »

full list of BC games, straight from the horse's mouth

from this, i recommend
crimson skies - fun take on air combat with good action and humor.  still stands up pretty well graphically.
indigo prophecy - if she didn't play it on the pc, it's worth a shot here
dreamfall - same as above
conker's bad fur day - a raunchy take on the mario 64 style of game

the only problem i see is being able to find good copies of many games these days. 

i recommend the saints row games.  1 is dirt cheap, and 2 is a ton of fun and has co-op.  (i forget if it's split screen though)

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 09:56:04 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 11, 2008, 09:54:06 PM

full list of BC games, straight from the horse's mouth

from this, i recommend
crimson skies - fun take on air combat with good action and humor.  still stands up pretty well graphically.
indigo prophecy - if she didn't play it on the pc, it's worth a shot here
dreamfall - same as above
conker's bad fur day - a raunchy take on the mario 64 style of game

the only problem i see is being able to find good copies of many games these days. 

i recommend the saints row games.  1 is dirt cheap, and 2 is a ton of fun and has co-op.  (i forget if it's split screen though)

So sad that it hasn't been updated in more than a year.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »

Well, at least some of the old xbox games can be downloaded from the marketplace.  Oh, and Hepcat - thanks but I live in the Land of Yellow Teeth.  However, it can be had from Amazon for 15.  Nice.

Steam profile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2008, 08:52:32 PM

Quote from: mytocles on December 09, 2008, 10:48:34 PM

The awesome Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is not backwards compatible, sadly.

Oh, now that you mention it, I believe the recent post I saw here, somewhere, was complaining about that very fact.  It's not like it was the best game ever, but it was very good, unique, and humorous... and certainly would beat out a Barbie Horse game in gamer's voting.  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: