http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:57:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 360, new issues...  (Read 1583 times)
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »

So I got myself a 360 off of Woot last week, and am so far...well, underwhelmed.  I mean, the system itself is nice, and the one game I rented on it looks amazing on my TV (even my wife was like "Wow!  That really is amazing!)

But now, to my main issue...it appears that none of my Xbox games are able to run on it.  Every one that I have tried has not been able to launch, despite them all being on the compatibility list.  I don't have my 360 hooked up to my network yet, that's another struggle right now, figuring out how to get get a wireless connection for that and my DVR (but I digress).  So a bit of browsing brought me to the the Xbox support page where you can update your compatibility list using a CD.  So, I dutifully follow directions, download the xex file, save it onto CD, put it into the xbox, and...nothing.  Burned a second CD, in case there was a problem with that one...nothing.  Cold booted the 360...nothing.

Checking the system settings, the Dashboard is at 2.0.7363.0, and the copyright date is 2008 on the system info screen. 

So am I missing something obvious?  or did I get boned on my refurbed 360?
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:46:12 AM »

Some other people receiving the refurb 360 from Woot are having the same problem.

One guy states it's a hard drive problem because he swapped hard drives with his other 360 and it worked...

TheMissingLink on PSN
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:25 AM »

And...I totally put this in the wrong forum.  D'oh!!!  Sorry, mods, move at your will!
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 02:04:11 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 27, 2009, 01:46:12 AM

Some other people receiving the refurb 360 from Woot are having the same problem.

One guy states it's a hard drive problem because he swapped hard drives with his other 360 and it worked...

Wow, I never even thought to check the Woot forums...I thought it was just my own stupidity at play here.

Well, I'll have to hang on and see what happens from Woot, I guess...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »

Getting connected it critical to getting the BC stuff to work. everytime I fire up an old game theres a new patch for it.

Granted, I only have Halo 1 now so "firing up a game" isn't frequent enough.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »

And...I just got an e-mail back from Woot service, pointing me to the backwards compatibility list.   crybaby
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:44 PM »

I would try hooking it up to the 'net before throwing in the towel.  If it's got some mucho old copy of the dashboard running on it that's all screwed up, it may be causing your problems.  I've never encountered an issue with BC games, so I'm surprised at the trouble you're having.  It's usually completely painless:  put game in the drive, xbox downloads update, i'm playing within 3 minutes.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »

You need to be connected to Xbox Live(just a Silver account) in order to play BC games.  You need to usually download a small update for most games.  The Halo games were the only games that didnt need a 1st time update.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 01:22:53 AM »

Quote from: DrJones on April 27, 2009, 09:26:20 PM

You need to be connected to Xbox Live(just a Silver account) in order to play BC games.  You need to usually download a small update for most games.  The Halo games were the only games that didnt need a 1st time update.

I think he mentioned either here or the crosspost on OO that he'd already downloaded the updates.  My suggestion was based off the assumption that something might be wrong with the software on his system and that maybe a connection to the Live servers might help.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 01:40:45 AM »

you can also download the a cd image from the xbox.com website, burn it and it will download all the current compatibility patches onto your xbox.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »

Quote from: dangerballs on April 28, 2009, 01:40:45 AM

you can also download the a cd image from the xbox.com website, burn it and it will download all the current compatibility patches onto your xbox.

Yep.  Did all of the above.  Also did a HD format and tried to re-install the compatability patches.  Still nothing.

The speculation on the Woot message forums is that whatever 3rd party did the refurbs borked the HD's on these xboxes so they can't accept the BC.  I just got an RMA from Woot for my 360, so I guess my dream of a cheap Xbox 360 is dead.   icon_cry  BC was a real selling point in convincing my wife to let me do this.  Ah well.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:14:48 PM »

You can get a used xbox 1 for $20 on ebay these days.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 28, 2009, 05:14:48 PM

You can get a used xbox 1 for $20 on ebay these days.

Oh, I still have my launch Xbox.  Runs like a champ.  But I wanted to upgrade, but I didn't want to add another piece of hardware to my already overloaded entertainment center.  The Xbox was going down into the basement, if only to be able to run Gladius.  smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »

How big was the HD?

I have an old 20 GB one sitting around since I bought a 120 GB drive.  If you want I would be happy to let you have it free.  PM me if you want.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 27, 2009, 01:46:25 PM

Getting connected it critical to getting the BC stuff to work. everytime I fire up an old game theres a new patch for it.

Granted, I only have Halo 1 now so "firing up a game" isn't frequent enough.

yeah i was playing Simpsons:Hit and Run on the 360 and it wanted to update,but i may of cleared the cache since last time i played

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 28, 2009, 05:55:38 PM

How big was the HD?

I have an old 20 GB one sitting around since I bought a 120 GB drive.  If you want I would be happy to let you have it free.  PM me if you want.

It is a 20 GB.  I may take you up on that, Farley.  Let me look at the RMA info, it I only have a few days to return it, I don't want to miss that window.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »

No problem.  I will continue to use it as a dust collecting device on the book case. smile

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 04:01:14 AM »

It looks like Buy.com has refurbs on sale for $159 if you want to spin the roulette wheel again.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »

I'm taking Farley2K up on his very generous offer to ship me his used hard drive to see if that fixes my system.  Thanks much, Farley2K!  You're a man amongst men.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 05:31:05 PM »

This is correct, the only native BC games on the HD are HALO 1 and 2 supposedly. All others require the DL or from a disk
You can also get the BC update from an OXM disk

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on April 29, 2009, 05:31:05 PM

This is correct, the only native BC games on the HD are HALO 1 and 2 supposedly. All others require the DL or from a disk
You can also get the BC update from an OXM disk

Right, and I tried both the online update and the CD update, and no go for either of them, sadly...
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 07:00:38 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on April 27, 2009, 07:14:03 PM

And...I just got an e-mail back from Woot service, pointing me to the backwards compatibility list.   crybaby

Sounds like Woot sent their people to the same training school that Microsoft did. Probably it is stenciled on their foreheads that Step One is always "Assume that People are Stupid," and Step Two is the first and easiest solution.  I attempted going the email route with MS - and 4 emails later they had yet to figure out just what my question was.  I think Understanding and Solving are somewhere around Step Ten... or Twenty... or...  disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »

I love xbox live! but wow. Im glad Im done with that headache which is microsoft and its poopy hardware...good luck to you though for sure. I have a ps3 now and im happy with it nod. But wouldnt it be nice if both companies just got along and made a machine together!!!! It would be like 2 idiots ...nevermind...just ranting...good luck!
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »

Woot!  Thanks to a spare hard drive supplied by Farley2K, my backwards compatability issues are a thing of the past!

Now...wonder what I should do with that bad hard drive I have?  An art project, maybe?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: