http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 05:41:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which wun?
Elite - 13 (65%)
Premium - 7 (35%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 360 Buyer: Recommend Elite or Premium  (Read 981 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:18 PM »

Simple question. I know most of the pros and cons of each.

What would you recommend and why?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »

I don't own a 360 yet, so I've gone over this decision many times. I give the nod to the premium because I won't own a 1080p capable HDTV before the 360 far too short life cycle's over; the same is probably true for most people. And I'm not interested at all in viewing HD DVD's via my 360; didn't view a single DVD via my XBox or PS2.

I think anyone who's in the market for a 360 right now is foolish to not await the arrival of the 65nm based chip model; even if it doesn't arrive until the holiday season. The promise of much better system reliability will be worth the wait alone, plus the possibility of a price drop. I did the same with the original XBox, patiently awaiting the arrival of the S-controller model and I've never looked back; not a single problem in over 4 years and the benefit of not having to use the 'can of ham' controller. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »

More glue on the chips means less likelyhood of towel solution.

Also, you may as well get the larger storage space. If it's cost, then premium. If I was going to buy a 360 though, I'd be waiting until October.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 08, 2007, 05:00:02 PM

I think anyone who's in the market for a 360 right now is foolish to not await the arrival of the 65nm based chip model; even if it doesn't arrive until the holiday season.

Is that timeframe confirmed?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »

For $80 the Elite is probably worth it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 06:22:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 08, 2007, 05:27:00 PM

Quote from: kronovan on May 08, 2007, 05:00:02 PM

I think anyone who's in the market for a 360 right now is foolish to not await the arrival of the 65nm based chip model; even if it doesn't arrive until the holiday season.

Is that timeframe confirmed?

That's a good question. I'm going by Ridah's post in which he quoted the contents of Digitime's April 30th article:
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,19925.0.html
Either way it doesn't matter much to me, as I've made my mind up to not buy a 360 until there's some improvement in quality.

Just a few tidbits about the deal:
  • Microsoft signed the original agreement with Chartered Semiconductor in April 2006.
  • The chips were originally supposed to go into production in Q1 of 2007 but were delayed until mid 2007.
  • China's Commercial Times -apparently not a very reliable source- has claimed that the chips are going into production in May and will be appear in 360's in the Fall.
  • Both the CPU and the GPU will be upgrading to 65nm versions.

Some additonal links I've found:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/30/xbox-360-getting-65nm-gpu-this-fall/

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Xbox_360_65nm_Version_Delayed/551-78129-585.html

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10754/Chartered-to-Manufacture-65nm-Xbox-360-CPUs/

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:03:35 PM »

When the news about the Elite model first surfaced, the Game Informer article said that there would be 3 models for a few months, but by the fall, the Elite would replace the Premium, presumably at $400.  Has MS said anything about this?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 07:26:44 PM »

I would probably hold off until the smaller die chips start getting put in.  Some people are speculating that the Elite is a "last hurrah" device meant to clear out the remaining stock of old chips.

The black XBox gear does look pretty slick, however.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 11:52:12 PM »

i feel like i jumped the gun a bit with the elite.  on one hand, i got a system in advance of gta iv and mass effect (two major reasons i bought one) and get time to play all of the cool stuff already out (saints row, dead rising, crackdown, gears of war), but one of the "buy it now" games really paled against expectations.  spiderman 3 was not the game i was hoping it to be.  had i known that, i may have decided to wait until the 65nm

that said, i got a good deal on a few games that i might not have bothered with in the q4 rush, and a copy of gh2, so i am having fun with the system right now. 

if the games currently out are of interest, or those coming in the next few months are really worth it, i'd say go elite.  it's a better value than the premium now.  $80 for hdmi cables, 120gb hd, and a redesign to get rid of one of the annoying problems is worth it, imho

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 12:50:19 AM »

spiderman 3 was not the game i was hoping it to be.

Yikes, betting on a game based off of a movie is never a good bet.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:58:22 AM »

3L337 because I'm l337 yo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 01:55:02 AM »

I'm gonna go with "It depends."  Personally, I would probably have gotten the elite, just for the extra storage space.  But I bought a 40GB iPod 2 years ago and still only have about 8 GB on it.  Similarly, I have about 11 GB free on my 360 HDD.  If you're going to download a lot of HD movies, etc., then the elite is the way to go.  If you're buying it primarily to play games, the premium is good enough.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »

I don't understand the need for a bigger HD -  who's going to have time to fill up 120 Gig of space before their system bricks?

stirthepot

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 06:11:21 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 09, 2007, 12:50:19 AM

spiderman 3 was not the game i was hoping it to be.

Yikes, betting on a game based off of a movie is never a good bet.

it was more because of the potential i saw with sm2.  i figured the good would get better and the bad would go away.  i was hoping for a 9, but i got a 6/7.  not going to cry over it though.  it's fun, as sm2 was, even if it's not perfect.  i'll play it till i beat it or get bored with it, and then it's trade time.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: