http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:11:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights 2 patch 1.03 released  (Read 2424 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2006, 05:15:02 AM »

I don't even have this game but I thought you guys might be interested in this.  Apparently you can get the patch via the in-game updater and check out all the fixes and changes here.  And boy are there a lot of them. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:17:20 AM »

Why did those ignorant morons release it when it *CLEARLY* was nowhere near done?!?!

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 06:31:54 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 05, 2006, 05:17:20 AM

Why did those ignorant morons release it when it *CLEARLY* was nowhere near done?!?!

Just to piss you off  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:46:29 PM »

Three patches now and they havent even commented on, let alone fixed, the broken behavior tabs and piss poor AI in general.  Its sad for us that thats pretty business as usual for developers/publishers.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »

As usual, it's up to the modding community to fix what the developers can't/won't. There's an AI improvement pack out there somewhere, and word on the street (I don't use it, as I still manually control everybody for the most part) is that it's a lot better than the default 'AI'.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »

Yeah, the AI Hakpak, which Olaf linked to in the impressions thread, is really good. I'm pretty satisfied with the AI now.  The important thing to know, though, is that pack should be unizipped into the Override directory in the NWN2 folder under My Documents, *not* the one under Program Files. 
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:20:03 PM »

Says the man with "The Guild 2" as his icon.

As far as the AI, olaf... I think it is a matter of priorities. 1.04 is already two weeks into testing on their end, so there's a good chance AI is being addressed in that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:32:47 PM »

Quote from: olaf on December 05, 2006, 01:46:29 PM

Three patches now and they havent even commented on, let alone fixed, the broken behavior tabs and piss poor AI in general.  Its sad for us that thats pretty business as usual for developers/publishers.

the behavior tab is broke?  :icon_confused:  Seriously, I really haven't noticed anything wonky with it, but then again I don't think I've really changed any settings on it.  So far the dwarf, the she-tiefling and the druid seem to be doing fairly well on their own.  I guess I need to read the impressions thread to see what's up with that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 03:47:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 05, 2006, 03:32:47 PM

the behavior tab is broke?  :icon_confused:  Seriously, I really haven't noticed anything wonky with it, but then again I don't think I've really changed any settings on it.  So far the dwarf, the she-tiefling and the druid seem to be doing fairly well on their own.  I guess I need to read the impressions thread to see what's up with that.

With the right settings the melee characters can take care of themselves. Spellcasters are completely borked though. Personally I'd never let the AI handle spellcasting no matter how 'good' it was, so it doesn't bother me. Others are up in arms about it smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »

Quote from: Crux on December 05, 2006, 03:47:20 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 05, 2006, 03:32:47 PM

With the right settings the melee characters can take care of themselves. Spellcasters are completely borked though. Personally I'd never let the AI handle spellcasting no matter how 'good' it was, so it doesn't bother me. Others are up in arms about it smile

Bards are definitely borked in the behavior tab.  Even with everything set to off without going into full puppet mode, my bard would always be using his various spells even when I didn't want him to.  Thankfully, the AI mod fixes that so it's no longer an issue. 
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 04:48:08 PM »

Quote from: Crux on December 05, 2006, 03:20:03 PM

As far as the AI, olaf... I think it is a matter of priorities. 1.04 is already two weeks into testing on their end, so there's a good chance AI is being addressed in that.

Nothing will ever be buggier than a JoWood game.  EVER.

If NWN were published by JoWood, they would have released it last year, and given it zero support afterword... but MAYBE re-released it in two years, with the bug fixes, as a "Gold" edition.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 05:46:42 PM »

Eh?  By the time the North American version of The Guild 2 arrived in stores, it was nearly flawless with a patch.  Euros got the shaft on that one, but I don't care about them.  icon_biggrin

Apparently in this case, NWN2 wins the bug war..  The Guild 2 is pretty much a flawless gem right now, it doesn't need another patch ever again IMO, and I have 80 hours into it.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 06:04:12 PM »

I really can't imagine any decision the spellcasting AI could make for a game like this that I'd be happy with.  Melee AI is one thing, instructing characters to attack the next closest enemy or (in the case of a spell caster) automatically enter parry mode when attacked in close quarters.  Spells, on the other hand, are a finite resource that I want to have 100% control over at all times, and I wouldn't want to see my wizards firing their magic missiles off into the darkness without my explicit say so.

I keep all my characters in Puppet Mode anyhow.  Combat in a Dungeons & Dragons game is fought and won based on the tactical choices you make, and a major appeal of the game is getting to be the one calling those shots.  If I wanted a game where the AI cruised through battles all on its own, I'd play Dungeon Siege.

Quote from: unbreakable

-Autistic Angel
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 06:11:51 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 05, 2006, 05:46:42 PM

Eh?  By the time the North American version of The Guild 2 arrived in stores, it was nearly flawless with a patch.  Euros got the shaft on that one, but I don't care about them.  icon_biggrin

Apparently in this case, NWN2 wins the bug war..  The Guild 2 is pretty much a flawless gem right now, it doesn't need another patch ever again IMO, and I have 80 hours into it.

For all this talk of bugs:

I have yet to encounter a single bug in NWN2.  I have no problems with the AI at all, the game runs very well for me.  So for me NWN2 is far from winning the bug war.  Off the top of my head from recent playtime Titan Quest was considerably more buggy.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 06:18:30 PM »

They screwed me on Guild 1.  After their refusal to fix that game, then expecting me to pay for what should have been a patch... never again.  JoWood could release the greatest game in the world, I would never buy it.

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 05, 2006, 06:04:12 PM

-Autistic Angel

I stand corrected.

BTW, I know I've asked this in the past, but how are the opinions regarding Temple of Elemental Evil now that the community fixed it?
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 06:35:40 PM »

Funny you should say that. Seems nobody in the Guild 2 thread agreed with you much. Of course, my own personal experience with NWN2 was that a single patch made it a gem. The 1.03 is icing on the cake for me. So that says just how much personal anecdotes are sometimes worth.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 05, 2006, 06:04:12 PM

I really can't imagine any decision the spellcasting AI could make for a game like this that I'd be happy with.  Melee AI is one thing, instructing characters to attack the next closest enemy or (in the case of a spell caster) automatically enter parry mode when attacked in close quarters.  Spells, on the other hand, are a finite resource that I want to have 100% control over at all times, and I wouldn't want to see my wizards firing their magic missiles off into the darkness without my explicit say so.

I keep all my characters in Puppet Mode anyhow.  Combat in a Dungeons & Dragons game is fought and won based on the tactical choices you make, and a major appeal of the game is getting to be the one calling those shots.  If I wanted a game where the AI cruised through battles all on its own, I'd play Dungeon Siege.

Quote from: unbreakable
I agree with you about the tactical choices being important, the core of the game even.  Why real time then?  For sales I guess, but its a bad choice for DnD combat.  Especially an engine that doesnt support autopause options.

I also agree that spellcasting is very tough on the AI, especially when the player characters have SO many choices.  However.  I refuse to believe they delivered AI that is anything but half ass.  Its horrid.  Spellcasters, out of the box, will not ever heal another character.  Mem nothing but heal spells and your character will heal himself only.  WTF?  On top of that they do other stupid shit like Greater Spell Breach on something with nothing to breach.  AE spells in the middle of the party.  Fireballs on lone, effortless CR rated mobs.  Etc.  They didnt even try!

All that being said, NWN2 isnt buggy.  Its just that the AI/interface/camera conspire to irritate the fuck out of me.  I *love* the game.  Its got an engaging story, I like most of the NPCs and the ones I dont like, I *really* dont like so thats cool too.  The voice acting, dialogue and text are great, something a series like Gothic is never going to get right.  Ever.  NWN2 is a must buy game if you liked BG2 or either of the KOTORs.  Its just that it could be better.

Also, Jowood does suck.  Euro games on the whole are a blight on PC gaming.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:26:23 PM by olaf » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 09:10:34 PM »

Quote from: olaf on December 05, 2006, 08:23:44 PM

Also, Jowood does suck.  Euro games on the whole are a blight on PC gaming.

Says you.. 3 of my 5 GoTY picks are Euro Games.

1701 A.D. is one of the most polished, bug free, and entertaining game I have seen in years, and well, its a Euro game.  Quite honestly, I think US games are becoming a blight, companies like EA aren't doing anyone any favors either.  Frankly, the release-state of *Most* US PC games this year was less than stellar - and that is putting it nicely.

Funny you should say that. Seems nobody in the Guild 2 thread agreed with you much.
Really? Nobody?  You mean the "One" guy that mysteriously came out of nowhere, posted 2 messages, then disappeared?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:16:42 PM by Kobra » Logged

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 09:38:26 PM »

Yeah, I actually agree with Kobra, there are a lot of good Euro games out there.  I remember Earth 2150 (I believe that was the first one) was a dang good experience.  Colin McRae Rally was really fun (until the evil starforce came with it), and lets not forget The Guild 2.  Indigo Prophecy was a Euro game also and got generally good marks.  Don't generalize all of Euro gaming into one clump due to a few bad games.  I could also say that EA makes all of the American games look bad too. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 03:21:04 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 05, 2006, 09:38:26 PM

Yeah, I actually agree with Kobra, there are a lot of good Euro games out there.  I remember Earth 2150 (I believe that was the first one) was a dang good experience.  Colin McRae Rally was really fun (until the evil starforce came with it), and lets not forget The Guild 2.  Indigo Prophecy was a Euro game also and got generally good marks.  Don't generalize all of Euro gaming into one clump due to a few bad games.  I could also say that EA makes all of the American games look bad too. 

Agreed on those games.  Also, Jowood published Rally Trophy (from the makers of FlatOut 1/2) and that was a pretty sweet, bug-free game. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 03:26:25 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 06, 2006, 03:21:04 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 05, 2006, 09:38:26 PM

Agreed on those games.  Also, Jowood published Rally Trophy (from the makers of FlatOut 1/2) and that was a pretty sweet, bug-free game. 

Don't forgot Space Rangers 2, and Star Wolves.  City Life, hell I am messing with that right now, and it is a damn fine City Builder, and appears bug free, and I am liking it much better than Sim City.  The list goes on, but frankly, I have had more US-Industry letdowns in the last few years than I have Euros.  In fact, I might as well say I have developed a preference for cool Euro games, and have an active dislike for the same-ole' type of shit American companies are tossing out.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 10:15:09 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on December 05, 2006, 06:11:51 PM

For all this talk of bugs:

I have yet to encounter a single bug in NWN2.  I have no problems with the AI at all, the game runs very well for me.  So for me NWN2 is far from winning the bug war.  Off the top of my head from recent playtime Titan Quest was considerably more buggy.

I don't get this talk either.  I'm into Act 3 of the game (which is huge by the way) and haven't seen a bug.  For most battles I let the AI handle the NPC's and have had no problem - they generally make good choices.  There will always be people who want them to act differently but that doesn't mean they aren't capable.  If anything I've been spoiled and now find it somewhat annoying that some of the really tough battles require me to actually think about group tactics, buffs, etc.  So far it's been easy to just control my main and I usually win the fights.

That said I'm guessing difficulty level has something to do with people's opinion of the AI.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »

Yeah I cant say all Euro games suck, or shouldnt have.  I love Dominions 3.  But it seems like too many Euro games I sample have horrible translation, dialogue, voice  work.
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 06:58:43 PM »

I know many people have had really bad slowdown, so I would classify that as a bug.  There are also a few script errors, I had to work around one by saving after each step and reloading if the script broke.  My friend also told me there are a few others later on.

But other than that, I would just put my issues with NWN2 on the level of annoyances.  How the camera works is annoying.  How the AI works is annoying.

Overall, it's not too bad.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 07:54:53 PM »

HOw the hell do I do emotes.  Like wave and dance and stuff?

Just Hiro will do.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 09:40:13 PM »

So is there//or will there be a version of this patch that can be downloaded with out using the auto updater??
My games rig is not attached to the net.

Byte me
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 09:59:57 PM »

Quote from: ANZAC on December 07, 2006, 09:40:13 PM

So is there//or will there be a version of this patch that can be downloaded with out using the auto updater??

Here you go
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 05:54:44 AM »

Quote from: ANZAC on December 07, 2006, 09:40:13 PM

I posted about how to do that at OO forum. My home pc doesn't have a stable internet connection, so I had to download it manually using download manager that support resuming.

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=842979#842979

After downloading the right file, put it in your nwn2 directory and run the in-game auto-patcher, it'll find the file and use it to patch instead of trying to download it from the net.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »

Thanx to Victoria and Unbreakable, off to fix this puppy.

Byte me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: