http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 10:47:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights 2 Impressions  (Read 30343 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 17, 2007, 01:47:15 PM »

Played and finished the first game and even the original story. I played NWN2 to the part where you pick up the druid who leads you to an ambush by a bear druid in the forest. Deleted it after that. did it get better?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 17, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 17, 2007, 09:27:31 AM

think there's multiple endings Ceekay.  slywink

Yeah, there's a bunch of different endings (good and evil with minor variations depending on Bevil, Axle or Moire surviving and which side you choose in Neverwinter), but the quality of the ending really gets me.  A bunch of still pictures with voice over that's worse than Daeghun.  I just hope the expansion continues the stroy of the Shard Bearer, because the ending leave a big plot thread open.

All in all I had a blast with the game though.  I can't wait for the expansion!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2007, 08:52:25 PM »

Hey CK-I started replaying this again on..Thursday? Something like that. I was on a break from BD waiting for some thoughts and decided that my backlog was getting out of control. Anyways, I started up, rerolled, and finished the sidequests out of the Fort before I had to leave for the weekend. So far I am enjoying it way way more than I ever did before! The performance is still just godawful (mid 30s FPS with everything turned on except point and soft shadows at 1680x1050-thats just not good with the kind of rig I have), the AI for your buddies is still very poor, and the game is a tad slow at times, but for some reason it is just working right now-the story is interesting, dialog is good, combat has been fun, and I am looking forward to getting 7 levels of WM (started Fighter) before probably ending up with some NW9 levels or something. Anyhoo, more impressions next week.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2007, 01:26:39 AM »

I restarted it a few weeks back too. I just went to Old Owl Well and finished it up. Not sure whats next.think Im supposed to go attack a ship in the harbor from Luskan.

unbreakable
« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2007, 01:29:12 AM »

I need to get back to playing this, if for no other reason than to finish it.  I have no idea why I couldn't really get into it.  Also, I'm now in FPS heaven, so hopefully I'll come back some time (it's still installed).

I've kept up to date on all the patches.  Has it improved a lot, or is it still worth getting that AI mod?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 14, 2007, 04:32:24 AM »

I grabbed the expansion last night (digital download from Atari) and wow, did they change the camera setup since I last played it.  It definitely took a bit of getting used to between the two options.
 Anyways, the expansion picks up after the end of NWN2, but you need to export your character from the original campaign if you want to continue with it for the expansion quest.  the only way to do this is to export it before the final fight as once the end scenes roll it doesn't automatically transfer your character- don't worry, it doesn't affect anything.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 14, 2007, 05:53:34 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 14, 2007, 04:32:24 AM

I grabbed the expansion last night (digital download from Atari) and wow, did they change the camera setup since I last played it.  It definitely took a bit of getting used to between the two options.
 Anyways, the expansion picks up after the end of NWN2, but you need to export your character from the original campaign if you want to continue with it for the expansion quest.  the only way to do this is to export it before the final fight as once the end scenes roll it doesn't automatically transfer your character- don't worry, it doesn't affect anything.

Hey CK-did you ever play a melee class I have some prestige questions. Also, did you ever figure out how to get any of the AI stuff worked out? I am having so much trouble getting them to just do simple things like attack my target its frustrating. I won't be able to play until Monday, but so far I am pretty excited about this restart-really enjoyed the Fort subquests and can't wait to get Khergan into his monastery!  icon_wink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 14, 2007, 05:22:37 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 14, 2007, 05:53:34 AM

Hey CK-did you ever play a melee class I have some prestige questions. Also, did you ever figure out how to get any of the AI stuff worked out? I am having so much trouble getting them to just do simple things like attack my target its frustrating. I won't be able to play until Monday, but so far I am pretty excited about this restart-really enjoyed the Fort subquests and can't wait to get Khergan into his monastery!  icon_wink

I played a Warlock all the way up to level 20, which end up with some pretty nasty long range firepower and decent melee skills but I didn't mess with the prestige classes.  As for the AI I pretty much let them run around in combat with out any instruction from me other than setting most of the AI settings to On or Overkill.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 14, 2007, 08:50:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 14, 2007, 05:22:37 PM

Quote from: Calvin on October 14, 2007, 05:53:34 AM

I played a Warlock all the way up to level 20, which end up with some pretty nasty long range firepower and decent melee skills but I didn't mess with the prestige classes.  As for the AI I pretty much let them run around in combat with out any instruction from me other than setting most of the AI settings to On or Overkill.
CK-I know I am being stupid, but I don't have my manual with me, where are the options to change the AI options to control casting, how they attack, etc?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 14, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 14, 2007, 08:50:59 PM

CK-I know I am being stupid, but I don't have my manual with me, where are the options to change the AI options to control casting, how they attack, etc?

it's under the character screen (default C), the fourth tab marked behavior.  you can customize each character, but there's no setting that really controls how they attack.  If you want someone to use ranged weapons you have to equip them with one and make sure they have enough ammo otherwise they will switch to a melee weapon once they are out of ammo (very bad for Neeshka most of the time).

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 14, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 14, 2007, 09:00:19 PM

it's under the character screen (default C), the fourth tab marked behavior.  you can customize each character, but there's no setting that really controls how they attack.  If you want someone to use ranged weapons you have to equip them with one and make sure they have enough ammo otherwise they will switch to a melee weapon once they are out of ammo (very bad for Neeshka most of the time).

Ok thanks dude. Neeshka totally blows though, if not for the trap disarming I would almost rather not have her constantly useless dying ass-but oh well, I can't play till tomorrow smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 14, 2007, 09:22:17 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 14, 2007, 09:17:16 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 14, 2007, 09:00:19 PM

Ok thanks dude. Neeshka totally blows though, if not for the trap disarming I would almost rather not have her constantly useless dying ass-but oh well, I can't play till tomorrow smile

she was part of my core party as long as I had room for her.  If you're not playing a character with thief abilities you'll miss alot without her around.  give her a good bow and some good arrows and she'll hold her own much better than one character you get forced to use later on in the game (granted the character doesn't take up one of your choosable character slots but can be a dead weight).

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »

One thing I always did with the theif (since I always played warrior) was to just keep them supplied with arrows while I engage enemies.  When they are attacking someone attacking you, they can usually keep scoring sneak attacks... at range.  Very nice.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2007, 12:36:57 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 15, 2007, 04:37:19 PM

One thing I always did with the theif (since I always played warrior) was to just keep them supplied with arrows while I engage enemies.  When they are attacking someone attacking you, they can usually keep scoring sneak attacks... at range.  Very nice.

later on you can get bows that give you unlimited arrows which is really nice  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2007, 03:51:54 AM »

neeshka has the best voice set smile..and a cute tail that reminds me of Anna from Planescape.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »

I'll be restarting NWN2 this week as well.  Got a few hours in last time, and couldn't get past the sluggish performance and wonky camera.  I understand the patches fix some of that, and the extra 1G of RAM I put in should also help.  I'm hoping it clicks with me this time around, as it's one of those games I really wanted to like.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2007, 03:23:28 PM »

I played a bit more of the expansion- it's pretty interesting so far but the fights have either been really easy or ridiculously hard due to the NPC's you start out with (so far the 2 other NPC's are a mage and a cleric).  I imported my level 20 Warlock from the OC and there's been at least one fight where I've had to resort to pure cheese to win- the old tactic of run away, rest and then go back to damage the enemies some more finally won the day.  Of course if I had been playing a melee class things might have been different, but they don't give you a 'bruiser' like Khelgar right away which hurts.

The party AI seems to be working fine, but then again I always set my casters to 'overkill' spellcasting and casters are all I have in my party right now.

I've had atechnical issue with the expansion too- if I have Shadows turned on it tends to crash the game   icon_frown  I've checked the boards and haven't seen a fix, but I guess I can live without shadows for now.

As for the story, it picks up right after the events of the original campaign and you play the same main character.  you can import your old character or create a new level 18 one (which is more than likely going to be 2 levels less than what you finished the OC at) and so far I really don't have a clue whats going on.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: October 16, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »

I never understood the complaints about the game's AI. For me, they always ran pretty well. Of course, most of the time I also turned off all spellcasting and manually directed them to kill things. I guess I don't mind it due to my time playing all the older Baldur Gate titles - the AI wasn't exactly all that good.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 16, 2007, 08:00:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 16, 2007, 01:50:08 PM

I'll be restarting NWN2 this week as well.  Got a few hours in last time, and couldn't get past the sluggish performance and wonky camera.  I understand the patches fix some of that, and the extra 1G of RAM I put in should also help.  I'm hoping it clicks with me this time around, as it's one of those games I really wanted to like.

Performance is still subpar, but try to deal with it and get to at least the Fort-I am glad I did because now I am really enjoying it.
unbreakable
« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2007, 08:33:12 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 16, 2007, 06:14:57 PM

I never understood the complaints about the game's AI. For me, they always ran pretty well. Of course, most of the time I also turned off all spellcasting and manually directed them to kill things. I guess I don't mind it due to my time playing all the older Baldur Gate titles - the AI wasn't exactly all that good.

I could usually care less, but when you have casters rushing in to attack with their staves, and characters switching out bows to run in to attack, and running into traps which were already discovered but not disarmed... yeah, that gets on my nerves.  I know the AI in NWN was rather dumb as well, but one would think a newer version would improve the AI rather than make it worse.

Now all of the above may have been resolved, I played shortly after release and haven't tried again.  There have been many patches since then.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 17, 2007, 12:44:17 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 16, 2007, 08:33:12 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 16, 2007, 06:14:57 PM

I could usually care less, but when you have casters rushing in to attack with their staves, and characters switching out bows to run in to attack, and running into traps which were already discovered but not disarmed... yeah, that gets on my nerves.  I know the AI in NWN was rather dumb as well, but one would think a newer version would improve the AI rather than make it worse.

Now all of the above may have been resolved, I played shortly after release and haven't tried again.  There have been many patches since then.

your guys will still charge straight into traps and switch to melee weapons if they are out of ammo/spells.  I wish there was an option to tell NPC's to stay out of combat if they run out of ranged attacks but there isn't.  Of course, with them set to overkill spellcasting they tend to obliterate most enemies before running out of spells.

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 17, 2007, 02:06:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2007, 12:44:17 AM

Of course, with them set to overkill spellcasting they tend to obliterate most enemies before running out of spells.

But then aren't you resting all the time to get your spells back after every couple of battles?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 17, 2007, 03:41:05 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 17, 2007, 02:06:00 AM

Of course, with them set to overkill spellcasting they tend to obliterate most enemies before running out of spells.

But then aren't you resting all the time to get your spells back after every couple of battles?

I use the sorceress girl for my caster. She can cast all year and never need to rest for spells.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2007, 03:59:58 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 17, 2007, 02:06:00 AM

actually I pretty must rest after every major battle if I can.  the game let's you do it without penalty, so why not?  this might change in the expansion though where time looks like it might play a factor- they redid the rest option so when you hit 'R' a window pops up giving you the option to either wait 8 hours or rest 8 hours, which seems like an odd thing to do without a reason.

Oh, and my main character is a Warlock, which means I get to blast away forever without worrying about spells  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2007, 04:05:34 AM »

Hmm I am starting to burn out again-I am in Neverwinter and have done a ton of quests, but right now I am rescuing someone nad the difficulty has ramped up considerably. I am regularly getting swarmed by 5-8 thugs that seek out and slaughter my rogue and mage and then inexplicably, my main character, a high dex fighter with good dual wield weapons simply cannot kill anyone, much less hit them (ok, a slight exaggeration but not much). I think I am also slowly starting to burn out on the basic D&D formula as presented in the NWN engine. I know its not substantially different from BG2, ID, or PS:T, but its just...clunkier. Something as simple as casting a spell takes at least one step longer than it should, the AI is simply awful, and it makes combat much more random than it should be-couple that with the oft-punishing D&D rules (seriously, why is my dude missing with +2 weapons, +8 BAB, etc?). I dunno, I really was into this game the last 5 hours or so and then all of a sudden its like I have totally burned out on it. I will try to push on through Neverwinter.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 19, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »

I do miss a huge amount. thats always annoyed me.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2007, 07:10:23 PM »

The thugs and such can be difficult early on if they swarm. Definitely make sure you are using all the magic you can to buff your characters, and I always made sure to use AoE spells to take them down.  It's weird, but due to the interface it makes you feel like you are not playing as "strategic" a game as, say, Baldur's Gate 1 or 2, but essentially that's what it is.  I've started playing more and more in the "strategic" camera angle, and using that I feel more like I'm playing BG2 again (and I feel more like controlling the spellcasters on a round-by-round basis).  Micromanagement is not always fun, but against big groups of, say, thugs, it's fun to pause and switch to your spellcaster (Qara) and let loose with some damage.  And, if she can't let loose with a fireball at that level (I can't remember what she starts at), you can use Elanee to call some lightning (3rd level spell) which chews them up pretty bad. 

It's also useful to position Khelgar in big groups of enemies so that his "Great Cleave" can trigger.  I typically have him in the lead in those areas where traps are not a concern.

I'd also recommend you take a look at some of those AI scripts mentioned earlier in this thread.  They really help!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2007, 03:29:16 PM »

well, my time playing the expansion has fallen to zero.  I really want to like it, but they have this curse you get stuck with early on that utilizes a 'spirit meter' (it's part of the storyline) and it definitely makes the game less than fun. 

basically, you need to consume spirits to fill the meter, and you get more points is your consume them just as they die.  unfortunately, in most combats it's hard to get them before they die with everyone else hitting them at the same time, so if you don't get them in time you have to wait 5 minutes before you can use it again.  however, each use cause the other meter to go up which causes the main meter to fall.  it all becomes a tedious balancing act as the main meter is constantly depleting.  If you rest you lose alot of points in the meter and it can break your rest cycle.  As the meter depletes you get various penalties, and if it hits zero you die, so I imagine eventually you can find yourself in a spot where you're screwed and cannot continue.

another gripe I have is the NPC's they give you.  The first one you get is a caster.  The second one you get is a caster.  The third one you get is mainly a caster with some melee capabilities (kinda like a paladin but doesn't seem to hit as well).   So, if you import your character and they're a caster too or have limited melee capabilities you're in for some tough times until you get the fourth NPC which is a fighter (of course, if you make a different choice you might not get them at all) that seems to go down fairly easily.  the balance for fights seems to be off too- some of the random encounters can be insanely tough while some of the big fights can be a cakewalk.

Because I can,
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »

I haven't gotten to MoTB yet, so I haven't had to worry about the spirit meter yet.  I'm having a lot more fun in the original campaign since downloading and installing the AI improvements.  All of the sudden my warlock character actually casts Eldritch Chain instead of the generic blast.  It was getting very annoying having to control the warlock just to make sure he cast the chain, among other things.  The NPCs also perform much better.  I'll have to see what happens when I get to MoTB.
unbreakable
« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »

So in grand scheme of things, is the expansion worth getting?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »

I am done with NWN2 I think. It's a shame as I have sunk about 30 hours into the game and have enjoyed parts of it, but overall the story has been so bland, the AI so awful, and the combat so wildly inconsistent that I just couldn't enjoy it in the end. Even though I have only about 10 hours left I don't see myself fighting through it to finish it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 30, 2007, 11:48:10 PM »

Quote from: Fez on October 30, 2007, 09:01:25 PM

I haven't gotten to MoTB yet, so I haven't had to worry about the spirit meter yet.  I'm having a lot more fun in the original campaign since downloading and installing the AI improvements.  All of the sudden my warlock character actually casts Eldritch Chain instead of the generic blast.  It was getting very annoying having to control the warlock just to make sure he cast the chain, among other things.  The NPCs also perform much better.  I'll have to see what happens when I get to MoTB.

that's what I played in the original campaign and imported over to the expansion.  be prepared for some hair pulling in the fights.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:01 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 30, 2007, 10:08:48 PM

if they make some adjustments to the Spirit Meter concept in a patch or two then I'd say yes, but for now the micromanaging of just your main character is annoying.  Of course you could always use a cheat code to refill the meter, but I'm not ready to stoop to that.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: October 31, 2007, 02:15:37 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 30, 2007, 10:08:48 PM

Based on CeeKay's description of it, I know I won't be anytime soon. Of course, I haven't finished the main game yet either...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 31, 2007, 06:42:02 AM »

Just a tip. If you're being a nice guy and come upon a bard who ridicules you and degrades you during a music competiton...dont choose "set him on fire and take his lute" thinking its a joke...I had to reload after getting evil points lol. Was kinda fun to watch him burn though the smarmy bastard smile

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 31, 2007, 06:42:50 AM »

I finished the expansion last weekend, and enjoyed the great majority of it. Much more so than the OC of NWN2. A lot closer to PST in flavor, I think (especially one part).

That said, all of the things CeeKay stated are valid complaints. I went into the game as a wizard myself, and scratched my head with the companions they were first forking over to me. Very heavy on the caster side. Also, the Spirit Meter management is a bit of a hindrance (never more than that), but it does play a very crucial part of the story, and will allow you to roleplay different situations in a very polar opposite kind of way.

The story itself is definitely above and beyond NWN2, however, and the cast of characters are all very unique and have a lot more to say on any a situation. The campaign will put you in some very fascinating locations (and a few annoying ones), which I personally enjoyed immensely more so probably because I was somewhat familiar of the lore. Overall, I really enjoyed the experience and felt it was well worth the effort to put up with a few minor annoyances.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 31, 2007, 03:03:57 PM »

Does the AI hakpak referred to earlier in this thread still work in the latest version?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 27, 2010, 11:22:24 PM »

Just a heads up the Platinum version if this is now available on Steam (in case anyone has been waiting  icon_wink)

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 28, 2010, 12:40:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 27, 2010, 11:22:24 PM

Just a heads up the Platinum version if this is now available on Steam (in case anyone has been waiting  icon_wink)

I have!  I bought it earlier today.  I really loved the first one, but haven't kept a decent PC rig in a long time, so I passed on the second.  I saw it on the sale and immediately bought it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 28, 2010, 01:58:44 AM »

Since that sale will probably mean more new players like The Grue, I'll repost my recommendation for TonyK's Companion & Monster AI mod.  It makes a *huge* improvement in the playability of the game by allowing you to easily set behaviors for AI companions governing things like spell casting, consumable usage, ranged vs. melee attacks, and more.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: