http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 04:48:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Never played the Gamecube...which games to get for the Wii?  (Read 4031 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:45:35 AM »

So my Wii will be here later this week and i was thinking about the Gamecube since i'll have access to those games now as well.  I know i'll need a GC controller, is that all i'll need to play those on the Wii?

Also, what are a couple games i shouldn't pass up and need to look for from the Gamecube?  Anything memorable?

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:50:18 AM »

Well, if your into Zelda, Wind Waker is an awesome game. There's also Resident Evil 4 which is the best RE since Code Veronica on the Dreamcast. Mario Kart: Double Dash is a good multiplayer game. Paper Mario is cool if your looking for an RPG fix. I'm sure the hardcore GC fans will be able to compile a larger list.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 01:02:41 AM »

I think the list of the games my son keeps for GC would be where I would go;

Odama
Mario Power Tennis
Legend of Zelda Wind Walker
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario Party (any)
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Super Smash Melee Bros.
Super Mario Strikers
Pikmin 2
LoTR The Third Age
LoTR RoTK
LOTR Two Towers
Baten Kaitos
Baten Kaitos 2
Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition
Cars

IMO the Gamecube lacks a lot of good AAA titles, but I find the above ones to all be pleasing.  I can't think of any other title I would remotely consider for the 'Cube other than the ones mentioned above.

Edit: Also grab a BIG memory card for saves as mentioned below.  This is the only one I recommend, its huge: Nyko 128MB 2038+ Blocks for $17ish off Amazon.. Way better than the nintendo branded ones IMO.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 01:07:24 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 01:03:05 AM »

You will also need a Game Cube Memory card... If you do not have one, you will not be able to save...

Briko
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:07:02 AM »

Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes are fantastic.  Don't mistake them for FPS games, though!

-Autistic Angel
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 01:31:39 AM »

Here's my list of favorite Cube exclusives:

Eternal Darkness - highly loved by some, but ultiimately not as succesful as it should have been. This was Silicon Knight's last original game developed for Nintendo. It's in the survival horror genre, and has a fixed camera like the older Resident Evil games, but is so much better there's no comparison. The controls are perfect, the story is very Lovecraftian and superbly done, and the insanity effects are fantastic. This is my favorite game from the last gen.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 - Awesome games. Retro took the old 2d Metroids and perfectly molded it into a first person adventure game. This game looks like a FPS and it IS a First Person game with a LOT of shooting, but it plays more like a Metroid title, than a standard FPS due to the lock on/aiming controls and the purely Metroid gameplay. This game has by far the best jumping ever done in a fist person perspective game that I have ever played. Most importantly, this is so completely Metroid with beautiful graphics and thrilling boss fights. These games can be very hard and frustrating while you are figuring them out (particularly the 2nd one "Echoes"). I am drooling for Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii which seems to be getting more delayed by the minute.

Zelda - Wind Waker - Certainly I would rank Twilight Princess a little higher, but assuming you enjoy that, this is very easy to recommend. It's already been discussed to death in other threads so I won't elaborate other than to say it's a great game.

Resident Evil 4 - I would say this is mildly overrated, but it's an easy game to recommend. Possibly the most technically oustanding looking game for the cube (or PS2). By locking the camera behind the main character the controls become manageable finally. It's more of a slower paced 3rd person shooter. Instead of run and gun. It's run, stop, and then gun. Cool story, fun gameplay. While many people call it the best cube game, I'd call it a very good game with some teriffic, fun moments.

Paper Mario - 1000 Year Door - in the same mold as the Mario & Luigi RPG's, a light hearted RPG with mario platforming elements thrown into the combat and puzzle solving. Very, VERY funny, and lots of varied gameplay. One of the cube's best.

Super Mario Sunshine - Somewhat maligned since it wasn't Mario 64, and because they really overemphasized the new water pack which should have been used more sparingly, it's still a great game. My biggest gripe is that it's just freaking hard as hell at times. I never have finished this one.

Super Smash Brothers Melee - Frankly, I don't get this series at all, but almost everyone who has a cube loves this, and I believe it's still the best selling cube title. It's a fun multi-player centric fighting game with all the Nintendo characters in it. While well done, it's just not a genre I am into, but no list of cube exclusives should omit this.

Star Wars Rogue Leader - Probably the best launch title, this was pretty mind blowing graphically when it came out. It's a very fun Star Wars space combat game. I have played it a lot over the years on and off, but have never been able to master it as it's too hard for me.

That's what I consider the most elite exclusives, but there are a lot of others I enjoyed quite a bit. Of the above I would say the most essential are Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, and Wind Waker.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:59:01 AM »

Quote from: Briko on January 08, 2007, 01:03:05 AM

You will also need a Game Cube Memory card... If you do not have one, you will not be able to save...

so GC games still need a Game Cube memory card for saves on the Wii?  good to know.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 02:19:24 AM »

so i need a specific memory card, in addition to the SD Card for the Wii?  someone gimme a link so i can see one to make sure i get the right thing.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 03:21:32 AM »

Can second Paper Mario, fun little game. Plus it supports 480p so it looks good on a HD TV.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 04:18:11 AM »

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Resident Evil 4 (slowly working my way through this one)
Eternal Darkness (ditto)
Odama

TheMissingLink on PSN
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:26:02 AM »

Skies of Arcardia if you're a console RPG fan and never played it on the DC.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 06:01:04 AM »

I'll give props to both Paper Mario and Skies of Arcadia Legends. Paper Mario is one of my favorite RPGs ever. It's on of those games were there's something for kids and adults. The writing is so good that you'll oftentimes find yourself laughing out loud. Without giving anything away, the line "Yuck. I totally have a newfound respect for plumbers now" had me rolling on the floor in stitches. And the boss fights are fantastic, too.

Skies of Arcadia Legends is a very well put together JRPG. If you like those types of games, you'll find a lot of enjoyment in it. Be warned that it has lots of random battles, though.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 08:46:32 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 08, 2007, 05:26:02 AM

Skies of Arcardia if you're a console RPG fan and never played it on the DC.

i lent that to my cousin,and i didnt see the bastard again,i loved that game

also,metal gear solid :twin snakes...still a great game,if not somewhat easier because of instead of dodgeing the cameras,its just easier to go into first person mode(new to the version)and shoot the cameras...not as much sneaking if you like

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 02:11:03 PM »

Agree with almost everything in here but I'll add Tales of Symphonia- very, very fun combat system, nice dungeon designs, and very technically polished. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on January 08, 2007, 02:19:24 AM

so i need a specific memory card, in addition to the SD Card for the Wii?  someone gimme a link so i can see one to make sure i get the right thing.

The Wii SD Memory Card is NOT a requirement for playing Wii games. The console comes with 512KB of internal storage, and that looks to be plenty of storage space as long as you don't go nuts on Virtual Console games. And if you do decide to get a Wii SD Memory Card, go buy a generic brand SD card from NewEgg or something. Save you a bit of cash.

To play Gamecube games though, you'll need a Gamecube Memory Card. I think it's called the Memory Card 256 or something (basically there's a smaller 51 and a bigger 256 - get the 256 one as that'll hold all of your games). You'll have to have that to save games while playing the Gamecube. Visit here for a direct link to what you'll need.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 03:23:38 PM »

As a heads up - I got a 3pack of Sandisk 1gb SD cards from Best Buy last week for about 54 bucks.  Not a bad deal, and hey everyone can use SD cards!   icon_cool

Sadly - I have all the elements in place for the Wii except for the console itself!   crybaby  FU supply and demand!  crybaby 

Good to know about the Gamecube memory card though... I did not know that so I have to pick one of those up too.  smile
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »

The mem card 1019 is much bigger than the 251 and nominally more expensive. The 251 should be adequate as long as you don't play any of the sports game with huge saves for franchises and what not.

-John

depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 04:40:35 PM »

Come on!  No one mentions Animal Crossing?!

I've been oh so interested in Chibi-robo for some reason.  Anyone play it?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 08, 2007, 04:40:35 PM

I've been oh so interested in Chibi-robo for some reason.  Anyone play it?

I really need to get that one, heard fantastic things about it.  I tried to get it from Gamestop.com for $10 in their after Christmas sale with Donkey Kong Jungle Beat but they were sold out. 
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »

MGS: Twin Snakes - a 'cube exclusive

Edit: Mario Kart and F-Zero as well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 04:53:16 PM by madpeon » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »

Oh, I'll also recommend Resident Evil remake.  RE4 is no doubt a better game but it's so different as not to be part of the core series. REmake looks fantastic, can be very intense sometimes, and even scary on a few occasions (something that RE4 lacked).  Still tank controls but there is a control option in there that alleviates that a bit and makes it much more palatable than the original RE.

I think there is a collector's set out there now that includes REmake, RE4, and RE Zero (the least of the three but worth playing if you like REmake) for a low price. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 05:41:04 PM »

Quote from: JCC on January 08, 2007, 03:50:54 PM

The mem card 1019 is much bigger than the 251 and nominally more expensive. The 251 should be adequate as long as you don't play any of the sports game with huge saves for franchises and what not.

Yeah, I figured the 251 would be enough due to no real reason to buy a Cube sports title (Madden and the like) when you can just as easily get the Wii version.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on January 08, 2007, 02:19:24 AM

Get THIS memory card.. Cheap, big, reliable.. They are the only brands I use on the Cube'.. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »

we got a free  Kodak 256MB card with every Wii game from HMV(not sure if you guys have an HMV)...but anyway,its 1949 blocks

i just spent about 30 minutes,copying everything from one place to the other,so i could see how many blocks they held when empty

on the original memory(Wii's internal memory),in total you start with 2159 blocks(maybe a block or two more as i have updated my Wii,which you do when you first get it),i have exactly 1621 blocks left

i have:

red steel save
zelda TP save
wii play save
wii sports save
sonic the hedgehog vrtual console game
sim city virtual console game
super mario bros virtual console game
super mario 64 virtual console game
legend of zelda virtual console save
donkey kong country virtual console save
trial internet channel

so,all this on the internal memory,and still 1621 blocks left..and then,still to use the 256mb card(1949 blocks),so the space isnt bad at all

if you get a 1-2 gig card,i dont think you would have to worry about space again

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 07:34:52 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 08, 2007, 06:13:52 PM

Get THIS memory card.. Cheap, big, reliable.. They are the only brands I use on the Cube'.. 

I'm still against purchasing any 3rd party memory cards. Yeah, technology has advanced and whatnot, and developers have done a better job 'emulating' how the memory card works, but I'd much rather get the real deal and never have to worry about reliability.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 07:50:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 08, 2007, 07:34:52 PM

Quote from: Kobra on January 08, 2007, 06:13:52 PM

I'm still against purchasing any 3rd party memory cards. Yeah, technology has advanced and whatnot, and developers have done a better job 'emulating' how the memory card works, but I'd much rather get the real deal and never have to worry about reliability.

are there any first party memory cards??

EDIT:

oh wait,are we still talking gamecube memory cards?...oh sorry,my bad,LOL

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »

I agree with the recomendations above, with emphasis on the 2 Metroids, Resident Evil 4 and REmake, and Smash Bros as long as you have people to play with.  Smash Bros is amazing for multiplayer, but boring as hell for single player.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 09:09:04 PM »

+1 on the mem card suggestion.  I've always had problems with 3rd party memory cards, no matter what platform.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2007, 09:33:35 PM »

The newer Nykos use the NGC reference boards. Great stuff.  We have 4 of them and replaced NGC branded ones with the superior Nyko ones. I don't buy into the branded loyalty thing myself though.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »

Nyko's cards are great and reliable. I have that huge one for the Cube, no problems in 3 years.

As for Games, let me add:

Baten Kaitos
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Chibi Robo
Battalion Wars <-- very under appreciated game

Heck, the great thing about some of the Cube games is that you can get them ridiculously cheap now.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 09:39:48 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 08, 2007, 09:09:04 PM

+1 on the mem card suggestion.  I've always had problems with 3rd party memory cards, no matter what platform.

I ran into this with the PS3.  My 1st Party PS2 card works great, my 3rd party 32X card isn't recognized at all.  I had to do the Curley Shuffle with my saves and port them to my HDD 8mb at a time.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2007, 11:08:31 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 08, 2007, 09:35:14 PM

Nyko's cards are great and reliable. I have that huge one for the Cube, no problems in 3 years.

As for Games, let me add:

Baten Kaitos
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Chibi Robo
Battalion Wars <-- very under appreciated game

Heck, the great thing about some of the Cube games is that you can get them ridiculously cheap now.

Absolutely.  Nyko rocks.  Anyway, those are great games too.

You can buy the entire library of GameCube AAA titles for a grand total of about $200 used.  I would recommend anyone with a Wii that doesn't have a cube, just go ahead and buy the AAA list used and be done with it.  There is tremendous gaming there.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 12:40:19 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 08, 2007, 11:08:31 PM

You can buy the entire library of GameCube AAA titles for a grand total of about $200 used.  I would recommend anyone with a Wii that doesn't have a cube, just go ahead and buy the AAA list used and be done with it.  There is tremendous gaming there.

Yeah, but the problem is I'm having too much fun playing all these darned Wii games. CURSE YOU NINTENDO!!!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 09, 2007, 12:40:19 PM

Quote from: Kobra on January 08, 2007, 11:08:31 PM

Yeah, but the problem is I'm having too much fun playing all these darned Wii games. CURSE YOU NINTENDO!!!

All these games?  I only saw 2 that are well rated AAA games.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 01:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 09, 2007, 01:34:45 PM

All these games?  I only saw 2 that are well rated AAA games.

2?! I only know of one.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2007, 01:59:50 PM »

I wasn't aware that AAA suddenly became a pre-requisite for enjoying games.  Especially from someone who has The Guild 2 in their avatar, which is rated lower than most of the Wii lineup. 

I've still only played Twilight Princess and Wii Sports on the Wii but I've heard plenty of reports of people really enjoying:

Trauma Center Second Opinion
Rayman Raving Rabids
Elebits
Super Swing Gold
Madden
Metal Slug Anthology
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam

Plus even some people liking Red Steel and CoD 3. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 05:18:27 PM »

Wii's lineup is better than the PS3 at the moment  icon_biggrin

I can say that reviews bedamned there are some truly enjoyable games on the Wii. I just hope we get a sustainable flow of games. I'd take 1 or 2 good games a month starting in March please.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007, 05:29:12 PM »

you also NEED a GC controller. Get a WaveBird.

The classic controller didn't work for me (at least) and the wiimote with nunchucks doesn't control it either.

Is there a way around it? I'd love to use the classic controller instead.

Also, what is the clickthing on the back of it for?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 05:34:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 09, 2007, 05:29:12 PM

you also NEED a GC controller. Get a WaveBird.

The classic controller didn't work for me (at least) and the wiimote with nunchucks doesn't control it either.

Is there a way around it? I'd love to use the classic controller instead.

Also, what is the clickthing on the back of it for?

Cube stuff can only be controlled with the Cube controller- Classic Controller only works on VC titles. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2007, 07:28:01 PM »

i'm looking at some games that my 4 year old son might enjoy to mess with or even be able to play some with me.  I know i see several Pokemon games, Avatar, Dora the Explorer and numerous Nickelodeon/Disney games.  Any of these worth buying.  I realize we aren't talking about AAA games, but something i can play and him watch or even mess with for 30 minutes a time.  Any of these recommended?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: