http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:44:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netflix to PS3  (Read 3716 times)
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »

Report in. I don't have Netflix, but will consider it if this works good.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 05, 2009, 05:41:38 PM

My streaming disc shipped today and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!

Ditto too.  Can't wait to try it out this weekend...I'm wondering how good/bad it will be over the wireless compared to my xbox which is wired.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »

Quote from: ericb on November 05, 2009, 09:02:54 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 05, 2009, 05:41:38 PM

My streaming disc shipped today and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!

Ditto too.  Can't wait to try it out this weekend...I'm wondering how good/bad it will be over the wireless compared to my xbox which is wired.

I have the exact same setup at my house...I'm also interested in seeing if there's a noticeable difference.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »

As much as I love my XBOX360, if PS3 Netflix works as good as XBOX360, I don't see too much reason for me to renew my Live Gold sub.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »

yup, my disc will be here tomorrow too.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 12:07:32 AM »

I'll put the disc in once just to see it work, but I won't watch another movie on Netflix again on my PS3 until you don't need the disc.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 12:35:03 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 06, 2009, 12:07:32 AM

I'll put the disc in once just to see it work, but I won't watch another movie on Netflix again on my PS3 until you don't need the disc.

omg! don't strain yourself, bud!...

the only thing worse than someone whining repeatedly about having to get up off their ass is someone who's proud of it smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2009, 01:13:04 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 06, 2009, 12:35:03 AM

Quote from: Ridah on November 06, 2009, 12:07:32 AM

omg! don't strain yourself, bud!...

the only thing worse than someone whining repeatedly about having to get up off their ass is someone who's proud of it smile ...

If I have one goal and there are two ways of accomplishing it, the one that doesn't require me to get off my ass is the one I'm choosing slywink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 04:33:15 AM »

What do you do when there's more than one game you want to play on the PS3?  You get off your ass to change it.  What's the difference?
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2009, 04:50:08 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 06, 2009, 04:33:15 AM

What do you do when there's more than one game you want to play on the PS3?  You get off your ass to change it.  What's the difference?

The fact that the 360 has an alternative that doesn't require you to get off your ass?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2009, 06:21:44 AM »

Also that if I'm going to play a game, I'm probably going to play for at least an hour or two.  Most of my Netflix viewing is half hour sitcoms that I'm watching to kill time.  Having to swap out the disc detracts from the impluse/time killer aspect.  Plus I don't have to swap the disc to watch Netflix on the 360.  It's the same reason that the multiple seasons that I own of the Simpsons don't get watched. 

Of course, you only have to swap the disc to watch Netflix if you had a different disc in there already, like a game.  Of course, that's probably not going to be an issue with the PS3.   icon_twisted

PS- I'm kidding.  Tongue

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2009, 08:41:04 AM »

I've fallen in love with my Roku player and the PS3 will definitely be a step backward in terms of Netflix streaming. The Roku player is always on. Just push a button on its remote and you're in Netflix (or Amazon). Having to put a disk in the PS3 drive and boot up the PS3 won't be as snazzy. But I'm also getting it for its Bluray playing (with Star Trek around the corner). And the Roku will be happy in its new place in the bedroom. So it's all good.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2009, 04:00:41 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 06, 2009, 04:50:08 AM

Quote from: naednek on November 06, 2009, 04:33:15 AM

The fact that the 360 has an alternative that doesn't require you to get off your ass?

I'm talking about the PS3
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »

Video of how it works

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/06/first-footage-of-netflix-on-ps3/
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »

Signed up for my disc just to have it.  That way, I can decide which way I want to do it.  If the quality becomes better on one than the other, that might just drive my choice.  Now only if my TV would stop dropping the red out of all my sources...   disgust

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2009, 09:48:19 PM »

Tried it at lunch. Overall it works pretty good. Browsing your queue is much slower than on 360. Fired up an episode of The Office in HD and it looked great. I'll probably stick to the 360 as my go to device since I don't have to swap discs and my Harmony remote works with it.

I'll try and do a side by side this weekend on some SD content to see which looks better.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2009, 02:47:56 AM »

works surprisingly well (even via dsl/wireless). watched an episode of dr. who smile . i realize i'm in that unique demographic of 'people who haven't watched tv for years, & only watch movies on weekend evenings', but, as part of that demographic, this works fine for me: just put the netflix disk in, rather than a dvd/blu-ray (which i'd have to get off my ass to do, anyway smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009, 04:40:21 AM »

It's functional but it seems inferior to the 360 version in every way (except for not requiring a Live Gold subscription).  Takes longer to boot up even ignoring the disc requirement, browsing is unnecessarily slow, images load slower, takes longer for the movie to start playing, and oddly it takes several seconds for a pause command to stop the movie.

If you have a 360 and other reasons for maintaining a Gold subscription there's no reason to use the PS3's Netflix.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »

Played it last night.  Video and Sound are superior to the laptop* I have hooked up to the TV, so there is a plus for me. Putting the disc in the machine is not an issue for me since the PS3 is my DVD player as well. The browsing does not seem too slow, but I have not found anyway to search by title.  Does anyone know a way to that?  My work-around is to search things on a computer and put it into the que.

Wish list:  Next update to the interface; allow for a keyboard and the computer-type searching.

*Older Toshiba - Celeron, S-Video, headphone jack out to Home Theater Unit.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »

There's no way to watch anything other than what you have on your queue without using a PC to add things.  That's the same way th 360 one worked at first.  A while ago, they updated the 360 client to list 50-100 "top" movies in a ton of different genres, as well as listing a ton of recommendation, which is a good addition, but there's still no way to search by title.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »

yikes, guess I won't be using the ps3 version until it's up to par.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 07, 2009, 08:22:59 PM

There's no way to watch anything other than what you have on your queue without using a PC to add things.  That's the same way th 360 one worked at first.  A while ago, they updated the 360 client to list 50-100 "top" movies in a ton of different genres, as well as listing a ton of recommendation, which is a good addition, but there's still no way to search by title.

hunh? - try the up button on your controller smile . same category thing...

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2009, 11:59:46 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 07, 2009, 11:56:55 PM

There's no way to watch anything other than what you have on your queue without using a PC to add things.  That's the same way th 360 one worked at first.  A while ago, they updated the 360 client to list 50-100 "top" movies in a ton of different genres, as well as listing a ton of recommendation, which is a good addition, but there's still no way to search by title.

Yeah pressing up gives you access to the same stuff the 360 has now.  The categories are listed across the top of the screen there.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 07, 2009, 11:59:46 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on November 07, 2009, 11:56:55 PM

Yeah pressing up gives you access to the same stuff the 360 has now.  The categories are listed across the top of the screen there.

Quote from: Chaz on November 06, 2009, 06:21:44 AM

Having to push the up button detracts from the impluse/time killer aspect.

fixed smile ...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2009, 12:31:40 AM »

Apologies, I've not used the PS3 version, because the 360 version I have now does exactly what I need it to.  I was going off of a brief skim of an article I saw about it.

I'm glad you're perfectly happy with your disc-based variant.  I'll be perfectly happy with not having to deal with that.

onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:14 AM »

And for a lot of us who own both PS3s and 360s but are getting marginal value from our gold memberships (I only really play online with my brother who only owns a PS3), we'll be happy to no longer need a 360 gold membership!

Quote from: Chaz on November 08, 2009, 12:31:40 AM

Apologies, I've not used the PS3 version, because the 360 version I have now does exactly what I need it to.  I was going off of a brief skim of an article I saw about it.

I'm glad you're perfectly happy with your disc-based variant.  I'll be perfectly happy with not having to deal with that.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2009, 02:11:26 AM »

Quote from: onnel on November 08, 2009, 01:20:14 AM

And for a lot of us who own both PS3s and 360s but are getting marginal value from our gold memberships (I only really play online with my brother who only owns a PS3), we'll be happy to no longer need a 360 gold membership!

Spoken like a man that's not buying Modern Warfare 2 for the 360.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2009, 03:08:48 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 08, 2009, 12:31:40 AM

+1
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2009, 03:53:08 AM »

Here I thought it was not available yet. I put my request in for a Netflix disc today. I think this will turn out to be the only way I watch movies for the next couple of years. After all this is the reason I bought the PS3.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2009, 07:27:24 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 08, 2009, 02:11:26 AM

wait, there's a ps3 version of the game?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 08, 2009, 07:27:24 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 08, 2009, 02:11:26 AM

wait, there's a ps3 version of the game?

of course there is.

Also, I'd go with the PS3 for netflix personally, since its simply better resolution due to it being conneted with a HDMI cable, which my xbox doesnt have

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2009, 05:05:42 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 08, 2009, 01:17:34 PM

Also, I'd go with the PS3 for netflix personally, since its simply better resolution due to it being conneted with a HDMI cable, which my xbox doesnt have

You can get HD Netflix with component cables, and I'm fairly certain it's the same resolution.  I think the crazy HDCP limitations only hit Xbox users if you're using an older non-compliant LCD display.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »

Anyone still watching Netflix on the PS3? I re-activated my account recently and have been watching a bunch of movies on my vacation. Not sure what the deal with the interface is, but the new one I've gotten seriously blows. When I first started using it, I had the interface with the left-hand side menu where you could access your instant queue or select movies by category.

Now, I'm getting the lame new interface where there are multiple rows to select from (i.e. instant queue on first row, recently watched on another, etc). I read in an article somewhere that Netflix was pushing out various interfaces to select regions/users get feedback. Why they don't just offer up the multiple interfaces for users to select from according to what's most comfortable to them boggles my mind. It's not like the content they're offering changes any bit, just the main interface to access that content.

Bleh, maybe I should try it from my 360 to see if I get the same thing.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »

That sounds exactly like the 360 version looks like.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »

I have a question about Netflix for either console (won't really use the Wii, though):  Is there a place where I can see a complete list of what's available to stream or download?

Everything I've seen online makes the list seem very limited, and I imagine I haven't really seen everything.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:51 PM »

Go to the "Watch Instantly" tab of Netflix.com?  You can add things to your instant queue there for easy finding on your console.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 23, 2010, 09:38:51 PM

Go to the "Watch Instantly" tab of Netflix.com?  You can add things to your instant queue there for easy finding on your console.

I haven't actually signed up for Netflix yet, though, because of the lack of titles I've seen, so I can't add anything to anything.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2010, 10:25:05 PM »

Feedfliks.com?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »

Instantwatcher.com is pretty useful for that sort of thing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: