http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 11:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Netbook Gaming  (Read 347 times)
brainfart229
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »

Hey everyone.  My only computer is a netbook, Acer Aspire One D255E, and I know that gaming on a netbook is possible as long as it is not too demanding.  Just wondering if you have any suggestions.  I have heard that Morrowind will work on these machines.  But I have read that the intel atom processor won't work with it because the main processor doubles as the graphics processor, any ideas.  I am waiting for recovery discs for my netbook, but when they get in on Monday 1/16/12 I will load it and see if it works.  But from now to then any accurate info would be helpful, and of course any gaming solutions period would be helpful. ninja2
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 03:07:55 AM »

Civilization IV?

What kind of games do you like?
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:19:21 AM »

gog has some great games.   Old games, so probably not too bad for requirements.

If you like RPGs try bauldurs gate, icewind dale, temple of elemental evil.

Civ 4 is excellant if you like TBS games.  Maybe some age of wonders shadow magic if you prefer fantasy.

Tons and tons of good games of different genres.     

At least, thats first place I would start..   Tongue
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 05:10:56 AM »

For the last year my only gaming computer has been a netbook (Asus EEE 1015PEM, dual core).  It has worked very well for quite a few games.  Naturally you don't want to push it too much.  Before investing in a game, you'll want to search to see if your particular netbook runs it.

Since you don't have an optical drive or the horsepower for newer games, GOG is your friend.  I have rebought a lot of games that I already own, just because it's much easier to install them the GOG way.

Your mileage will vary depending on your exact hardware, but on this netbook I've had great results with:

Civilization III (I heard that IV is very slow so I haven't tried it yet)
Arx Fatalis
Baldur's Gate (I'm sure the other Infinity Engine games will work just as well)
Divine Divinity
Fallout
Might & Magic 6, 7, 8
System Shock 2

Others, like Neverwinter Nights and Gothic 2, run but can get a little choppy.

Thanks to the netbook's portability and convenience, I've done more PC gaming in the last year than I'd done in the previous 2-3.  Finally I'm catching up on my backlog of old games  icon_wink

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: