http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 06:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Your Help! (PC Gaming Survey)  (Read 1374 times)
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:07:16 AM »

I am working on a research project to finish up my degree and the focus is on Piracy of Games, the current method of using DRM to stop it, and alternative revenue streams for Developers such as in-game advertising and things along those lines. Anyway, I have to do primary research so I've thrown together a quick survey and see if I could get some folks here to help me out with.

It's less than 20 questions and should take maybe 5 minutes to do. I'd really appreciate anyone taking the time to fill it out. I'm a late bloomer to finishing college, and I'm ready to get this over with but I need a little help before I can.  icon_smile

Not trying to start another piracy/DRM debate either, I just picked a topic that would cover everything I had to for my final paper and was on a subject that interested me. I'm not too big on fighting on the subject otherwise!

Thanks everyone. I'd much appreciate it if you could also pass the link on to any friends/relatives you have who would fit the bill as well. The DRM questions are obviously mostly geared towards PC gamers, but console gamers are needed as well and can just ignore those.

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/survey.zgi?p=WEB228K9L6GXA8
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 04:14:28 AM »

Done.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 04:18:50 AM »

Yeah, sure thing.  I'd be interested to read your findings when you're done.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:12:27 AM »

Done. What are you majoring in?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:34:12 AM »

Felt like a developers quiz on whether in game marketing might be a way to go to generate revenue..

I'd play a game for free and put up with "Coke" bill boards..........

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:53:48 PM »

Majoring in Computer Operations Technology, so a pretty generic tech degree, but if there's an opportunity to bring gaming into work then I'm all for it. smile

I will definitely share the results of this survey. I meant to make the results public to anyone taking it, but I must have missed that option or it's not available.

Thanks again for taking it, and keep 'em coming.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »

Done
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »

Done.  I think I got them all right, too!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 05:36:42 AM »

Done, but I wonder about the question:
Would you ever pirate a game?

I wonder if a better question would ask about frequency of pirating, or ratio of pirated games to purchased games.

Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:42:08 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on December 06, 2008, 05:36:42 AM

Done, but I wonder about the question:
Would you ever pirate a game?

I wonder if a better question would ask about frequency of pirating, or ratio of pirated games to purchased games.

Yeah, that's a question looking back on I think is almost throwaway. I'm not sure what I can really gain from that question. I could go to a torrent site or some such and get some figures if I need for people downloading games or look at numbers elsewhere.

Ratio/Frequency would be pretty interesting.

I think my reasoning with the question was that I had a feeling people would have trouble being honest with that question even in anonymous setting so I tried to word it in a non-threatening way.

Think the main thing I  learned from this experience is that writing a survey is nowhere near as simple as you'd think it be. Definitely have a new found respect for people who can do that well.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »

done!

and about surveys - its an art - its also something people study for years, to be able to make a survey that actually works. I've seen firsthand major companies doing surveys specifically tailored to give them one specific result, to present to a board of directors...

A new one
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »

Done
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »

Done, but a minor pet peeve of mine. Action/Adventure are NOT the same things.  Why do they get lumped together as the same type of game?  Adventure gamers have brutal arguments over adding action elements to adventure games.  Such classifications can skew the results.  Rant over.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Gertbeef
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on December 06, 2008, 03:07:02 PM

Done, but a minor pet peeve of mine. Action/Adventure are NOT the same things.  Why do they get lumped together as the same type of game?  Adventure gamers have brutal arguments over adding action elements to adventure games.  Such classifications can skew the results.  Rant over.

Oh I agree, they're extremely broad generalizations in general. I mostly lumped them because that seems to be the general consensus way to do it in surveys I compared with. All the categories are iffy, a person who likes sports games could be playing something like Football Manager or maybe Blitz. It's impossible to hit everything. It's all perspective I suppose, I'm a traditional adventure gamer who prefers the classic Sierra, LucasArts style adventures, but I'd still classify something like Uncharted or Tomb Raider as an Adventure game.

I'm not looking to take much of anything from this question unless I find some correlation to people who like a certain type of game being more inclined to notice advertising and remember where/what it was from. The main thing was I didn't want the survey to be bogged down with too many classifications for games.

That said, I understand your rant, and if I was doing something more based on the classifications I definitely would have broken it down more.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 03:29:44 PM »

Done with 18/20 correct.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 10:27:10 AM »

Gah the survey's done! I feel left out.  I should go vent by pirating a game!  icon_twisted
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: