http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 03:32:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need xbox game recommendation for 10 yr old  (Read 3705 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »

After playing video/computer games since the 1980s, I am at a loss for finding an appropriate xbox game for my 10 1/2 year old.  He's played the Halo games, Call of Duty 4 (only once a month... like that was supposed to dilute graphic violence), tried Brutal Legend, loves Minecraft, etc. etc.

So I'm at Gamestop with him trying to find a game without graphic violence and language, and I can't think of anything.  The store manager recommends Bad Company!  Based on my requirements!  CoD 4 was too far over the line, and even Wolverine Origins starts with blood dripping from his claws (the movies didn't have that!).  Any good games along the lines of Halo that would be age appropriate.  I'm having a complete mental block!  Gears of War is too graphic as an example of being inappropriate.  He's played the Simpsons game.  Is Crackdown appropriate?  He might try Forza 4.  I was thinking Jedi Outcast from the original xbox.  Anything like Zelda for the 360?  All random thoughts, but I'm stuck for an idea!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »

If he has played Halo and COD4, I would say Crackdown is not any more "inappropriate" than those and is definitely less real world than COD but still has shooting people.

Is he too cool for the LEGO games?  My 10 year old nephew loves them.  And Sonic, for some reason.  Sonic Sega All-Star Racing is a favorite of his, and it's a pretty decent kart racer.

Actually, any racing games like Forza, NFS: Hot Pursuit, Burnout: Paradise, etc.

If he wants shooters, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron should be more appropriate for him.  Or the older War for Cybertron, which should be cheap.  You could also go for open-world mayhem like Just Cause 2, which at least lets gives lots of alternate craziness besides shooting, but still does have shooting people if that's a deal killer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:05:47 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »

Oh, I guess Skylanders is pretty huge with kids (and many adults), though it can turn into a real money pit buying the figures.

The Kung Fu Panda game was actually pretty good (the first one, not the Kinect one) and has plenty of action, if he hasn't played that.  And for movie games the Cars 2 game was pretty decent as well.

Rayman Origins is a great 2D platformer that can be played with multiple people at the same time.

I enjoyed Mini Ninjas quite a bit, and it should be super cheap if you can find it.

Oh, what about Spiderman?  He should be pretty cool for a kid that age and not too inappropriate.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:07:12 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:58 PM »

I've stayed away from anything borderline (like Mass Effect)

For Zeldaish games:
Fables series
Enslaved: Oddyssey to the West
Kameo is old, but was fun
Beyond Good and Evil HD (Xbox Live)

RPGs:
Lost Oddyssey
Tales of Vesperia
Final Fantasy XIII
Blue Dragon

Other
Portal/Portal 2
Sports game/racing
Rayman Origins
Lego if not too old
Bastion (xbox live)
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »

All good ideas - thanks fellas
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 02:05:56 AM »

Vinda, the FIRST Bad Company game was rated T IIRC, and would be a lot better than Gears or CoD. Bad Company 2 is an entirely different animal.

Some of the transformer games are quite good, but my number one rec for a shooter is Earth Defense Force. Get the first game if you can find it, otherwise the second. Plenty of violence, but of the green spider goo variety.

For a Zelda-like game, try Kameo, which is seriously under rated.

Another one I would strongly suggest is Banjoo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. Since he likes Minecraft, he likes building things, which Banjo has a ton of.

All three of these are cheap (under ten bucks) though the newer EDF would probably be more.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:43:13 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »

They don't really make too many shooters that are appropriate for children, but they do make a lot of third-person action games that are.  There are quite a few superhero games (Spiderman, Captain America, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, etc), and the vast majority don't show blood or graphic violence.  Also, does he like music?  You can get the full band set for Band Hero for $35 and the other Guitar Hero/Rock Band games are dirt cheap too.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:28:52 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 19, 2012, 02:05:56 AM

Another one I would strongly suggest is Banjoo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. Since he likes Minecraft, he likes building things, which Banjo has a ton of.

I'll second this.  It's a really good game for anyone (not just kids) and I bet you can find it for around 5 bucks now.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 19, 2012, 08:28:52 AM

I'll second this.  It's a really good game for anyone (not just kids) and I bet you can find it for around 5 bucks now.

Heh, I almost suggested this one but I thought I was one of the few that actually enjoyed it.  Clearly I was wrong.  smile

Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »

Excellent call.  He drooled over the trailer and gameplay videos!

Also might look into Viva Piņata... I think Banjo and Viva come in a 2-for-1 set!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:29:49 AM »

Viva is definitely a solid time killer too smile
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:55:02 AM »

Prince of Persia is a lot of fun.

Fable has sex and sexually transmitted diseases, fwiw.

If Psychonauts is still available and supported that was great.

I'll also echo Kameo.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »

Glad he liked it. My son is 16, mostly plays Halo, Dark Souls, Battlefield, TF2 etc. but the Banjo game is one he still goes back to from time to time.

Looks like you can get the 2-pack for 15 from Amazon (I'd forgotten all about that). Viva isn't a kiddie game, despite what it looks like and how it was marketed. A lot of kids that age would get bored with it quickly, but given his interest in building things he might like it. At that price, worth a shot.

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on August 19, 2012, 11:08:00 PM

Excellent call.  He drooled over the trailer and gameplay videos!

Also might look into Viva Piņata... I think Banjo and Viva come in a 2-for-1 set!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

What about the Marvel coop beat-em-up games? If you game with him they may be fun. 'Ultimate Alliance' I think they were.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: