http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:08:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some Sony PSP information  (Read 1387 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2006, 11:10:39 PM »

I am going to be buying a PSP within the next couple of weeks, a new one, and I know it comes with a 32MB card. Can someone tell me what size card you REALLY need, as well as the best place to buy PSP memory? Also, if you have some essentials that I should buy or download, I would like to know what they are. I know some people have found a way to take a movie and save it to a memory card, and that appeals to me as well. Also, does this thing take regular memory stick media or does it take some proprietary expensive type?

I love my DS and am keeping it, but the PSP is starting to appeal to me also. Thanks!

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:01:34 AM »

I suppose it depends on what your going to be putting on your PSP.  I started with the 32 MB card and found out it wasn't going to be enough for just game downloads.  IIRC, my Wipeout Pure downloads along with the saves for the other games made it a tight squeeze with the provided card.

I ended up buying a 1GB card just so I wouldn't have to worry about needing any extra memory in the future.  It was a  1GB Sony MS Pro Duo from Newegg.com for a good price.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:12:02 AM »

Wipeout pure is an exception though. For other games, if that's all you are going to do, 32MB is a lot of storage. The larger cards are more for copying lots of music/movies and other multimedia stuff.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 12:19:15 AM »

Hmmm...I really should sell my PSP as I haven't touched the thing in months.

Anybody want a guess at what a version 1.5 ('unlicensed' code very supported - along with some 'software') PSP, 1GB memory stick, Wipeout, and Lumines would go for?

And as far as the memory card goes - all it is is a standard Memory Stick Duo Pro (the long slim stick thing) that you can buy at most retailers, especially if they sell digital cameras (the Sony brand).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 12:30:16 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I suppose it depends on what your going to be putting on your PSP.  I started with the 32 MB card and found out it wasn't going to be enough for just game downloads.  IIRC, my Wipeout Pure downloads along with the saves for the other games made it a tight squeeze with the provided card.

I ended up buying a 1GB card just so I wouldn't have to worry about needing any extra memory in the future.  It was a  1GB Sony MS Pro Duo from Newegg.com for a good price.

You can download stuff? Woah, tell me more. How do you do that exactly?

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 12:37:02 AM »

Quote from: "jblank"

If you get a PSP that still has firmware v. 1.50 (or 2.00 that can be fowngraded to 1.50), you can download and play all sorts of emulated old games (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.). There are also tons of homebrew apps and games that are available. PSP Updates is a great resource to have.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 12:37:46 AM »

Wipeout has additional packs containing tracks and vehicles you can download.   As long as you have an internet connection the game automatically connects and it downloads to the memory card.  That's the only game I have that has downloads like that.  It would be cool to see other games do it, but I don't think too many other's have followed suit.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 01:34:30 AM »

If all you're doing is storing game saves, the 32 MB stick will do fine. If you plan to use the PSP as an MP3 player, you should get the 512 MB stick. If you want to rip movies to the PSP, you need at least a 1 GB stick.

I did a lot of price comparisons in September when I bought a 1 GB stick and Newegg was the cheapest place by far. Also, SanDisk cards are generally cheaper than Sony and are just as reliable. Newgg has a 1 GB stick for $66 right now.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 01:46:11 AM »

You can buy the PSP Giga Pack which includes a 1 gig memory stick for $300. Pretty good deal.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 01:50:40 AM »

Wipeout has additional packs containing tracks and vehicles you can download.   As long as you have an internet connection the game automatically connects and it downloads to the memory card.  That's the only game I have that has downloads like that.  It would be cool to see other games do it, but I don't think too many other's have followed suit.

Do you have to have wireless? I dont have a wireless connection, but I've got Cable internet, with a Linksys router.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:51:28 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
You can buy the PSP Giga Pack which includes a 1 gig memory stick for $300. Pretty good deal.

Yeah, can't find a retailer thats still selling it though.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 02:00:18 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Anybody want a guess at what a version 1.5 ('unlicensed' code very supported - along with some 'software') PSP, 1GB memory stick, Wipeout, and Lumines would go for?

Sounds interesting.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 03:26:13 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

Yeah, can't find a retailer thats still selling it though.

The Giga Pack has been discontinued. Some of the more out of the way places like Sam Goody and Sears might have some if you search long enough.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 04:56:13 AM »

I luckily received a PSP GigaPack for Christmas and I am loving it.  It is super easy to get a movie onto a memory stick.  I usually rip the movies to about 450megs so I can always have 2 movies on it.  Video quality is very good.  My only regret is I didnt get one sooner.

DrJones
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 01:31:40 PM »

Quote from: "DrJones"
I luckily received a PSP GigaPack for Christmas and I am loving it.  It is super easy to get a movie onto a memory stick.  I usually rip the movies to about 450megs so I can always have 2 movies on it.  Video quality is very good.  My only regret is I didnt get one sooner.

DrJones

What program are you using for your ripping and transferring?

DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »

What program are you using for your ripping and transferring?

I use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD to my hard drive.  Then use PSP Video 9 to convert it to the mpeg4 format to play on my PSP.

DrJones
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 08:46:50 PM »

You can also put psp games on the memory stick, which somewhat lowers the awful load times.

I haven't played mine in a long time either.  I played Lumines until I couldn't get any further, MLB until I lost the World Series & I played 1 round of Tiger Woods before realizing it was the slowest mess of a game I had ever played.

I know how X-Men Legends, basically untouched.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 11:57:23 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
You can also put psp games on the memory stick, which somewhat lowers the awful load times.

It's almost a must, thanks to how much loading your average PSP game does. I thought you couldn't put newer (ones that require 2.0 or so and up) games onto your memory stick though?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: