http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:12:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some RTS mp strategy help  (Read 959 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:45:33 PM »

I'm playing Empire Earth 2, but i'm assuming my question will be related to rts games in general when it comes to some tips.  For those who played some EE2, any help would be appreciated.

So i'm starting to get pretty decent at sp skirmishes against the cpu, so i thought i'd see how mp goes.  I totally expected to get my butt handed to me, but i'm stunned at the mp games i've attempted thus far.

The first game i attempt to play it like i play skirmishes against the cpu.......i take time to work on my economy, build a few defensive units and get things running smoothly.  In 5 minutes i am swarmed by someone who has 75 or more units hammering me.  Needless to say i am toast and i learn a quick lesson about not playing it like i do against the computer.

I play the next couple games trying to build all the barracks and workshops i can and cycle my production to keep producing as many units as i can support.  I get a few built before i am again overwhelmed by enormous troops and i am finished fast.

I just tried one more game where i try to produce as many units as i can as quickly as i can and wham i get slaughtered.  I am stummped.  I look at the final tally and i'm waaay behind in resources and obviously troops.  I mean they are slaughtering me.  I was cycle producing as many civilians as i could to harvest and troops and i'm still hammered.  I have no clue as to where to begin to improve.

So my questions are this...........having never played any rts games online, is this typical strategy of rushing?  I mean there is no strategy at all involved in this.  I was just thinking that even if i could figure this out, i wouldnt want to play like that because it just isnt fun to me.  I've never played any of the AoE games either but i always hear about "rushing" and if thats the case, i have no interest in that game either.  Does noone take time to set up a city and build it and make a strategic attack?  Just mass producing units as quick as you can and overwhelming someone seems ridiculous to me.

So is this typical of the rts genre in mp games?  If so i guess i'll be stuck to sp skirmishes.  I'm enjoying those (as i enjoy EE2), but having a human opponent occasionally would be nice too.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Other than, EE2 suxxors go play DoW.  I happen to enjoy EE2, i was wondering if this is typical of most rts games.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:08:55 PM »

Most RTS games are actually building simulators.  It's not a game of strategy and tactics, it's who can get their economy running the quickest to pump out enough units to rush early.

That or who can exploit the unit movement and targetting early in the game to rush with fewer units yet get the most effect.

People who play RTS online and are serious about it don't play for the fun battles, they play to ruthlessly obliterate their opponents as soon as possible.

I like RTS games that have no base building and everyone starts out with some kind of preset army.  This way the focus is on the actual battle and not building as fast and as much as you can before you attack.

So, if you like actual battles, but not build rushes, I'd suggest sticking to playing with friends who agree not to rush.  Otherwise, to get good enough to beat these people, you'll have to give up those fun battles and use the same early build rush tactics where you spend more time managing resources and commanding battles.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:35:39 PM »

Ya i guess i didnt mean i was looking for strategies per say, because as you said it's not really strategy or tactics.

I just hate the rushes.  At least in sp skirmishes against the computer i can work on my economy and build a base and not have to worry about getting hammered in 3 minutes.   Unless i can find a few people to play with as you mentioned.

So is most rts mp games generally this?

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 01:45:22 AM »

So is most rts mp games generally this?

Yes.  Unless you play with known people or newbies.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 05:27:46 PM »

Yup.

Don't play RTSes online.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 05:58:24 PM »

Ya seems so frown

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 06:04:47 PM »

Yeah the only good way to play an RTS game online is with people you know or at least people you know are interested in the game lasting longer than five or ten minutes.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:31:57 PM »

Or play cooperatively (compstomp) instead of competitively.

One of my most fun/memorable MP games was in Rise of Nations, 3 humans vs. 3 Hard or Very Hard computers... quite a good match.

Also, if you happen to have Warcraft 3, I would heartily suggest trying out the 'Defense of the Ancients' mod/map for it.  It sort of turns WC3 from a uber-traditional RTS to a team vs team Diablo-like game.  Very cool.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 12:22:40 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Or play cooperatively (compstomp) instead of competitively.

One of my most fun/memorable MP games was in Rise of Nations, 3 humans vs. 3 Hard or Very Hard computers... quite a good match.

I remembered the days when Ron and I would play Command and Conquer: Generals on a slightly modified 8 player map. He and I would team up against something like 4 Hard AI and 2 Medium (or something of the sort). Talk about a blast fest. And one that was tough to win, as defending yourself against that kind of a 'horde' is hard.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 02:03:32 AM »

i actually have CC Generals and Zero Hour sitting on my desk i'm gonna try out next.

and i have tried EE2 sp skirmishes and i just suck right now at it.  i do very good (its actually too easy) on easy but at normal i'm getting stomped, hard.  gonna give it some more time but i am going to give Generals a shot too.

Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 02:28:11 AM »

The absolute WORST part of that play style (rushing) is that if you did somehow manage to fend him off, he would most likely suddenly develop "connection problems", and vanish.  Because it is very hard to come back from losing your rush.

It never ceases to amaze me how much asshattery goes on in online games.  

I just can't imagine how desperately these guys must need to feel like winnars to resort to that sort of thing.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 03:28:41 AM »

couldnt have said it better myself Doomboy.  i have no desire to even learn to play like that.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 04:31:28 PM »

Grab yourself a copy of Close Combat 5.  No rushing there.  Lots of tactics and strategy too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: