http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:46:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some console advice  (Read 2322 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2005, 03:21:02 AM »

Sorry if there's a thread around of this nature.  If so point me there please.  
I can't believe i'm even considering this, but i may be in the market for a console system.  I'm a die hard pc gamer who hasn't owned a console since the original Nintendo, so i need some opinions.
I love football, baseball, and racing games but i just can't enjoy them for the pc.  I also occasionally enjoy role playing and platform type games.  I'll stick with my pc for shooters and mmorpg's.  I also don't want to wait for the next gen and have to spend a ton of money.  I was thinking console systems are fairly reasonable at the moment.
So what are the suggestions?  Xbox, PS2, or GC?  Any more reliable than the other?  For the games i'll be playing, what platform typically is the better choice, if any?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 03:30:57 AM »

if you have a decent TV (larger than 27") especially an HDTV, I'd recommend the Xbox. The platformer / RPG section is a little thin, but if you're looking for racing / sports, the box has it.

If you really need your RPGs, I'd suggest a PS2. Platformers too.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 03:32:58 AM »

I'm probalby gonna throw it in my spare room on a regular ole 25" tube.  I can do without, but i'd really like the best combo for what i'd want to play.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 03:46:15 AM »

You'll hear all kinds of advice for system A, B, or C, but the best way to make a decision is to look at what the exclusives are for each system, and see which ones appeal to you the most.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 03:52:51 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"

I love football, baseball, and racing games but i just can't enjoy them for the pc.  I also occasionally enjoy role playing and platform type games.  I'll stick with my pc for shooters and mmorpg's.  

Based on your criteria, I'd have to recommend the Xbox.  The vast majority of sports games are multiplatform, and in the most cases the Xbox tends to have the best versions of them with Dolby Digital Surround, better graphics (plus a lot of sports games feature 720p support), and Xbox Live online multiplayer.  The Xbox is also my personal favorite for racing games, as the best racing games out there IMHO - Forza, Rallisport Challenge 2, Burnout 3, and PGR2 - are all found on the Xbox.  The Xbox is a little bit scarse when it comes to RPGs, but what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality - Jade Empire, Kotor1/2, Fable, etc. are all great console based RPGs.

The PS2 would be a good choice as well - the sports/racing game selection is similar (although the Xbox tends to get better versions of them),  but has a much deeper selection of RPGs and platform games.

The Gamecube is a great system with a ton of Nintendo exclusives, but if your main focus is sports and racing games I'd get one of the other two...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 12:10:58 PM »

I agree it would be a great time to try a console.  They are cheap and awesome games are cheaper than dirt now.  The new consoles will be very expensive and there will be no inexpensive games for awhile and plus better graphics do not make a better game.  Nuff said on that.  I would have to second the Xbox.  I love my PS2 and GC, but for racing it is Xbox all the way.    You can throw your life away on the Xbox in PGR2 online.  And Burnout 3 as well.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 12:46:33 PM »

I'll just echo what's been said.  

Sports, racing, action = X-Box
RPG, platformer = PS2

Keep in mind that console RPG and PC RPG are usually very different animals.  While I really enjoy both, I've known many PC gamers who despise most console RPG's, and vice versa.

Let us know which system you get and you'll get plenty of game suggestions.  Many of which are some of the lesser known gems that you might otherwise miss.  smile

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 01:42:50 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

I love football, baseball, and racing games but i just can't enjoy them for the pc.  I also occasionally enjoy role playing and platform type games.  I'll stick with my pc for shooters and mmorpg's.  

Based on your criteria, I'd have to recommend the Xbox.  The vast majority of sports games are multiplatform, and in the most cases the Xbox tends to have the best versions of them with Dolby Digital Surround, better graphics (plus a lot of sports games feature 720p support), and Xbox Live online multiplayer.  The Xbox is also my personal favorite for racing games, as the best racing games out there IMHO - Forza, Rallisport Challenge 2, Burnout 3, and PGR2 - are all found on the Xbox.  The Xbox is a little bit scarse when it comes to RPGs, but what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality - Jade Empire, Kotor1/2, Fable, etc. are all great console based RPGs.

My thoughts as well.  It sounds like the Xbox is the way to go for you.  I bought a used one 2 years ago or so and it has worked great.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 02:49:42 PM »

I'm a pretty big PS2 fanboy but from what you've described I would probably recommend you to head the way of the Xbox.  I'm still not a big fan of the controller but if you want to play sports/racing games then the Xbox is what you should get.  There isnt much reason for a sports gamer to get a PS2 anymore, now that Winning Eleven is now on the Xbox.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »

Sports and racing? Xbox. Not even close.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 07:16:49 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys.  I was thinking Xbox and thats what it seems it will be.  
Now the question is where to get a good deal on one at?  Whats going to be a price i'll be lookin to pay for one?  Also, other than an extra controller, what accessories are needed and recommended?
Thanks again.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 08:24:11 PM »

Don't know about the best deal (new, they retail for $149, not sure about used).  You don't need anything else since you are using an older TV, just make sure it has the typical RCA/Composite jacks (the red/white/yellow cables) since that is what it comes with.  No memory cards needed (thank God!) since the Xbox has a hard drive.

Perhaps someone can chime in on a good wheel for you?  There is a great one for the PS2 but I am not sure how the Xbox versions measure up.

Finally, the Xbox does have some good platformers.  Unfortunately they don't have the strong Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper franchises.  If you do go that route don't feel like you are going to be left out in the cold when it comes to the platformers.  For starters, Voodoo Vince is great and can be had for $10 or so.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 08:27:36 PM »

Make sure you get the S Controller and throw out the huge-ass one from Microsoft.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 08:33:17 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Make sure you get the S Controller and throw out the huge-ass one from Microsoft.

I'm pretty sure they ship with the Controller S now.  But if you do look used try to avoid it.  Hell, you might prefer it if you have huge hands.

Hmm...  You know, I'd really recommend you buy a NEW Xbox and not a used one.  Then you can be sure to avoind the dreaded early batch with the crap DVD drive.  This will most certainly contain the new Controller S.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 09:25:34 PM »

I've seen some ok looking X-Box bundles at Costco in the past. Probably spend more than $150, but you get an extra controller and 1 or 2 games with it for like $180 or something along those lines....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 01:31:07 AM »

One thing to look out for: some models of Xbox have got some pretty crappy hardware in them - namely the DVD drive.  If you're getting a preowned Xbox, I would recommend finding one without a Thompson drive in it.  The easiest way to tell if it has a Thompson drive is to eject the drive - if it has a U-shaped slot, it's a Thompson.

Also, I'd recommend paying a couple of bucks extra and getting the store warranty, especially with a preowned...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »

If you're looking for a platformer, don't forget Psychonauts!  Best platformer on the XBox IMO, even though I did enjoy Voodoo Vince too.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 04:57:38 PM »

I think i'm gonna pick up an XBox this week sometime.  I wanna get a football game, racing game, and some type of platform/adventure game.  Not sure where i'll purchase one from, so any help would be great.
Thanks for all the advice.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 07:07:03 PM »

I think i'm gonna pick up an XBox this week sometime.  I wanna get a football game, racing game, and some type of platform/adventure game.  Not sure where i'll purchase one from, so any help would be great.
Thanks for all the advice.

Football- no idea.  

Racing-

Simulation- Forza
Arcade- Burnout 3
Rally- Rallisport 2

Adventure/Platform-

Psychonauts
Voodoo Vince
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 07:41:08 PM »

Football - ESPN 2k5

Everything else - Kevin posted the exact same stuff I would have...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 07:44:10 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Or send it to me... I like the big 'uns smile

Another good racing game, which can be had for cheap these days - Project Gotham Racing 2.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 10:18:41 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Another good racing game, which can be had for cheap these days - Project Gotham Racing 2.

Probably my favorite Xbox title.  Or at least the one I played and got the most out of.  What a blast on Live.

FuronKamikaze
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 10:47:22 PM »

I suggest the Xbox but I'm biased for it but the PS2 is also awsome just make sure you have a decent TV screen size (26'-?)

Xbox Live Gamertag: bandirooster

ONE GIANT STEP ON MANKIND
AND REMEMBER FURONS ARE PALE BLUE NOT 'LITTLE GREEN MEN', PATHETIC HUMANS
PS: Live not currently working and waiting on a 360 set for the 22nd
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 08:19:21 PM »

Well now that i've been looking around at the games available, i'm rethinking the Xbox and considering a PS2 now.
I'm definitely gonna be playing sports games, but the rpg's i'm seeing for PS2 is seeming attractive now.
Hmm, gotta reconsider perhaps.

Oh, do you need memory cards for Xbox or PS2 or they have the hard drive thing going?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 08:33:42 PM »

The PS2 requires a memory card...one would do unless you go save-crazy with all your rentals/purchases and want to keep even old ones.  The Xbox doesn't require a memory card; it uses a harddrive.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 10:53:57 PM »

Well now that i've been looking around at the games available, i'm rethinking the Xbox and considering a PS2 now.
I'm definitely gonna be playing sports games, but the rpg's i'm seeing for PS2 is seeming attractive now.
Hmm, gotta reconsider perhaps.

Oh, do you need memory cards for Xbox or PS2 or they have the hard drive thing going?

If you're primarily a PC gamer, I'd usually recommend that you go with a PS2 or GameCube, simply because most XBox exclusive games usually come out on the PC eventually. The XBox does have the best selection of racing games, however, and if you're looking to play sports games on-line than an Xbox w/ Live is the only way to go.

If you play your sports games single-player and can live with a slightly inferior set of racing games, than the PS2 may be a good choice. As you mentioned, it is hands down the system for RPGs (although remember console RPGs play completely differently than PC RPGs) and it has the best selection by far of platformers in this generation. The Ratchet & Clank, Jak,  and Sly Cooper games are incredible.

The one downside of the PS2 is its aging tech, however. The graphics will be an extreme downgrade from what you're used to as a PC gamer. This isn't to say that the games aren't attractive, just that it will take you awhile to get used to the lower resolution and lower detail graphics.

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is to not spend too long thinking about which console to get. At this point in the console cycle, all three have robust libraries. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding good games to play regardless of which one you choose.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 08:13:00 PM »

ok guys i think i'm sold on an Xbox but i had one more question.  I'm considering maybe a used system from EB.  Anyone know how reliable these are and do they offer any type of warranty on them?  
Also, hows the NCAA football game for Xbox?  I'm trying to nail down a couple games to start with and i was thinking a football, driving, and adventure/rpg.  For those categories, whats the best bet?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 10:16:22 PM »

ok guys i think i'm sold on an Xbox but i had one more question.  I'm considering maybe a used system from EB.  Anyone know how reliable these are and do they offer any type of warranty on them?  
Also, hows the NCAA football game for Xbox?  I'm trying to nail down a couple games to start with and i was thinking a football, driving, and adventure/rpg.  For those categories, whats the best bet?

Check out this thread for impressions of NCAA 06.  Initial impressions were great, but sketchy AI is taking it's toll.  

Football:  I sill think the best football game is ESPN 2k5
Racing:  Realistic racing – Project Gotham 2.  Arcade Racing – Burnout 3 (probably my favorite racing game ever)
Action/RPG:  If nothing else, you have to play Beyond Good and Evil and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (if you didn’t play the PC versions).  I also really enjoyed Fable, Sudeki, and Baldur’s Gate 2 for good hack-n-slash action.  Demon Stone and the LotR games are fun as well, if short.  Thief 3 is a fantastic game, but the PC version is far superior.  Star Wars Republic Commando is a fun rental that can be beaten in about 8 hours.  Fun SW squad-baed shooter action.

I’m sure you’ll get recommendations for Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, and Jade Empire as well.  I disliked all three, but they’re very highly rated.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 11:20:47 AM »

Ok i'm picking up an Xbox today and i'm definitely getting ESPN 2K5.  I have enough $$ for another game this week and i was leaning towards an adventure/rpg/ or platform type game.   Any suggestions?  I see Fable being suggested alot, but i was maybe thinking of going the adventure/platform route with something like the OddWorld type games.  I have no ideas of what to look for, what should i consider?

markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 03:56:24 PM »

Psychonauts.  It's a true action/adventure hybrid created by Tim Schaefer who most recently did Grim Fandango for the PC which is one of my favorite games of all time.

If you're looking to go a little cheaper then Voodoo Vince might be up your alley.  I liked it but it's no where near as good as Psychonauts IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: