http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 05:06:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Oblivion start up advice  (Read 1038 times)
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:38:36 PM »

I will be starting Oblivion very soon. I need to finish up Kingdom Hearts and also get all the way through Jewel Quest with my gf to make her happy.

With all the threads I've seen, I don't want to start Oblivion on the wrong foot. What is the deal I have heard about leveling up wrong. I have heard different viewpoints about picking the skills you want as minor skills or you will just screw yourself with higher level enemies. The flip side I hear is to knock the difficulty slider down a bit and just play normal.

What's the recommended advice for the beginning of the game?
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 06:43:42 PM »

You will get varying advice, so let me ask how do you want to play the game?

Combat oriented?  Stealthy?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »

im sure its a preference thing.  i say make the character you want with the skills you want.  if you want a fighter, give him fighter main skills.  the enemies will match your level and get harder, but if you really want use the slider.  seriously what fun is it to make a character with main skills you care nothing about, for the sole purpose of never levelling up? especially when you can adjust the slider that was put in there? unless the super neat gear on the higher level guys irks you THAT badly, id say skip it.

its sort of like firing up an old dungeons and dragons rpg and spending the first 3 hours waiting to roll at least 7 20s. i mean yea you "fixed" the levelling process but doesnt it leave you feeling sort of cheap? and with an artificial character? maybe its just me
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 07:02:46 PM »

Leveling up really isn't important in the game, since everything scales to what you are.  I'd say do whatever, to be honest - I had a much better experience at my lower levels than past 20, to be honest.  

Take whatever char you want to play as, plug in what you need for your majors, and with the leftover if you want to level quickly put in Alchemy or Speechcraft or something - but if you want to just play, put whatever in there.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 07:21:47 PM »

My first character I played for about 18 hours before deciding I really didn't like him much.  My second character I have played for about 26 hours now.  So far there has been no overlap between what character #1 and #2 have done.  The game is so freaking huge that I could probably start a third character and put another 20 hours into it and again be focusing on different quests.  And keep in mind neither of my characters have even touched the main storyline-related quests.

What I'm trying to say is make a character that sounds cool and play the game.  If you need to you can bump the difficulty slider down a bit.  If you end up not liking him then it's really no big deal.  You can easily make another character and not get bored.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 07:26:08 PM »

Quote from: "Americanidle"

What's the recommended advice for the beginning of the game?

How do you want to play?  The only folks I have seen who are upset are "min/maxers" - people who want to powergame.  If you just want to relax and play then there are no worries about how to create your character.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 09:14:36 PM »

I concur with the consensus so far; play whatever character seems fun to you, and just focus on enjoying yourself.

I've had a few moments where a fight that was supposed to be doable for me simply wasn't due to a lack of decent equipment or whatever, and in those cases (when I've retried so many times that I'm tempted to break something) I simply drop the difficulty slider a few notches so it's still challenging but doable.

I don't really like to do that, but since it's rarely been needed (if I can avoid a nigh-impossible fight and still progress my quests, then I just avoid it instead of wimping out) I don't mind too much.

I'm playing the game for the fun, the experience, the exploration and lore and immersion and adventure.  Being able to drop the difficulty briefly on a fight I simply can't pass so that it doesn't bring the game to a halt for me is very, very nice.  If I could do this with Ninja Gaiden, perhaps I'd actually finish it one of these days.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 09:59:56 PM »

My only recommendations:

1) Save the game as soon as you step out of the sewers, and keep a copy of that game safe.  If you ever want to restart a character, you don't want to have to sit through the entire sewer portion of the game again.

2) Try to customize the skills to the playstyle you are choosing rather than using the pregenerated defaults for that playstyle.  I made the mistake of choosing their pre-generated warrior configuration, only to later decide that it wasn't exactly the type of warrior I wanted to play.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 10:16:05 PM »

1) Save the game as soon as you step out of the sewers, and keep a copy of that game safe. If you ever want to restart a character, you don't want to have to sit through the entire sewer portion of the game again.

Actually, you should save before you leave the sewers, right?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:58:37 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
1) Save the game as soon as you step out of the sewers, and keep a copy of that game safe. If you ever want to restart a character, you don't want to have to sit through the entire sewer portion of the game again.

Actually, you should save before you leave the sewers, right?

Definitely right before you leave the sewers.

If you get the notice to change your character (incase you didn't notice the whole 'leaving the sewers' scenery), hit Cancel, back up, and save. Then you can change everything you've ever wanted to afterwards.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 12:02:29 AM »

I think maybe the responses are missing the thrust of what AI wants to know. I haven't been paying full attention to the discussions, but I've seen some references to stuff like not necessarily choosing stuff you plan to use a ton as major skills because you will level quickly...I think that's the kind of general strategizing he's asking about.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 01:28:54 PM »

I would say pick the skills you want to use. there is no real problem with leveling cause since the creatures level with you it justmeans you will be fighting cooler monsters and getting better weapons and armor.

I picked these as my main skills: I am currently level 31
Blade
Block
Destruction magic
Alteration magic
restoration magic
light armor
Speach craft ( I must have been high to pick this one and wish I could change it, but it hasnt really effected my game much)

If I redid the game I would have picked the armor repair skill since it is much more convenient to be able to repair magic items yourself. I did finally get my repair up to 50 so I can repair magic items though.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 01:49:30 PM »

Illusion line is very good for dungeon crawling. You get a light spell and a night eye spell once you get to apprentice level. This will help rid you of the need for night-eye potions and torches.

The only downside is that you have to keep using the spells over and over as they do not last that long, but they require small amounts of Magicka (Mana)

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 02:42:18 PM »

Quote from: "DamageInc"
Illusion line is very good for dungeon crawling. You get a light spell and a night eye spell once you get to apprentice level. This will help rid you of the need for night-eye potions and torches.

The only downside is that you have to keep using the spells over and over as they do not last that long, but they require small amounts of Magicka (Mana)

And you can get invisibility and chameleon with Illusion.  Plus if you do the initial mage guild quests you have access to spellmaking and you can make a Light spell that lasts a lot longer.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »

I have 75 hours into my Nord Battlemage.

I have heavy armor with swords.  I picked up Thief as my sign for stealth and speed, Restoration for healing on the fly but I had to manually train Mysticism to be able to cast a soul trap, and Destruction for ranged magic attacks.

He will be my only character.

Once I finish the main quest and all the fighters guild quests, I think I can just change clothes and work thru the Assassin's and Thieve's quests but I will  have do a lot of training.

The only thing I would say is that I have read a lot of "it is very hard to go thru the game as a straight mage using only magic"...then again, that could mean that it is just harder...slywink
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 08:48:37 PM »

yeah illusion wasnt one of my main skills but I have gotten it pretty high (around 60) just by constantly casting torch light and moonlight spells. I have night eye but it is just the 15 sec version so I dont use it.

I picked the sign of the mage for my character. I have had issues with not having enough magicka but I have recently enchanted all my armor to boost my magicka so iam finally able to cast high level destruction spells
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: