http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:52:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help picking out my next DS game  (Read 1446 times)
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:49:01 PM »

I have preordered a DS lite and I have bought the new Super Mario and Advance Wars Dual Strike so far and I am trying to decide on one maybe two more titles for my trip I am taking in July. below is a list of games I am considering but I am open to suggestions.

Metroid Prime Hunters
Meteos
Tetris
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Mario Cart
Phoenix Wright (this looks good but it is too hard to get and I am not sure I want to spend the money on Ebay for it)
Jump Super Stars (I am not sure how fun this is if you cant read japanese)

I will be the only one on the trip with a DS so I am not looking for multiplayer
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:35:23 PM »

of the games you name, as far as single-player bang-for-the-buck, i'd recommend castlevania (tho, were i going by sheer entertainment value alone, it'd be phoenix wright). otherwise, for a good, unique, & possibly too challenging time, i still like trauma center...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:29:17 PM »

I love Phoenix Wright you won't be disapointed in it, but check around I heard that re-relased some more copies.

Ascendent
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 10:54:14 PM »

Castlevania was a blast.  And I wasn't even a Castlevania fan.  VERY good game!  Has a pretty nifty "New Game+" as well.

Meteos is an awesome puzzle game - should be able to find it relatively cheap'ish.  Plugged in 10 hours before losing it somewhere in Canada.  Kept stats ala Super Smash Bros.

With Mario Kart you can do no wrong.  Excellent game with lots of replayability.  Plus online!  My brother and I haven't been encountering as many "snakers" online lately.

Phoenix Wright is surprisingly fun.  Really enjoyed it!  You wouldn't think they could really plug a full game's content in there, but it's such an enjoyable "experience."

Heard good things about Jump Super Stars but I've also heard Bleach is a better fighter PLUS online wi-fi play.

I didn't enjoy Metroid very much.  Maybe it's due to my wonky left hand, I don't know, but at least the single player was kinda "meh" for me.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 11:42:18 PM »

Castlevania should keep you busy for a long time.  Tons of fun and lots of replayability.  Excellent excellent game.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:15:07 AM »

Mario Kart. It is by far the best game for the DS and I am including the new Mario Bros in that comparison. (although it's great too!)

I almost didn't buy MK because of my general malaise for the cube version, but I am so happy I caved to the high review scores. It is a fantastic game.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:15 AM »

Loved the Castlevania.  If you've played any of the GBA versions you know what you are getting with this: 2D nirvana.

Meteos and Tetris are both excellent time wasters.  You pretty much know if you like Tetris or not, and it has more modes.  Meteos hasn't yet grabbed me but I've not given it the attention it likely deserves.  I have played better versions of Tetris, but I do like trying out the different game modes.

Mario Kart...  People love the Mario Kart.  Personally it doesn't really do anything for me.  The computer always seems to get the right weapons to screw you over.  My advice, stay in second and stay close until the very end.  Without muliplayer I think this game grows dull quickly.  The mission mode stuff is fun for a bit.

Phoenix Wright is fun, but only if you have read and understand what you are getting into.  This is a game that, while the majority seem to love it, those that don't absolutely hate it.  You either get it and go with it or you just scratch your head and wonder where the hype came from.  I enjoy it, but it's one I am hesitant to reccomend it.

I would love to see JSS make it over here (which it never will) but held off on the import because all the storyboards are Japanese.  I don't even know the characters but it looks like a fun game.

Never played MP:H.

I'm going with Castlevania, provided you like that kind of game.  There is a TON of it and it should take many hours to play through.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 02:12:06 AM »

I own them all except Phoenix Wright (I need ot get it though) and Jump Super Stars.  You really can't go wrong with choosing any of them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:13:11 AM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Mario Kart. It is by far the best game for the DS and I am including the new Mario Bros in that comparison. (although it's great too!)

I almost didn't buy MK because of my general malaise for the cube version, but I am so happy I caved to the high review scores. It is a fantastic game.

Yes, Mario Kart DS is the game that Double Dash should've been!  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 04:53:03 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
Quote from: "JCC"

Is Mario Kart DS more like the SNES Mario Kart (which I loved very much) or like the N64 mario kart?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 11:21:50 AM »

I'll keep the echo going . . . get Castlevania.  Then get Mario Kart.

I'll also caution you on Meteos . . . it never really clicked with me, so if you want a 'puzzle' game you may be safer going with Tetris.

For the trip you may also want to consider . . .
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-14/qid=1147951084/ref=sr_1_14/602-4224330-1586201?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B00005LP0X
I think you can find them at walmart for like $5 . . . the DS carts fit perfectly in the case, and both the case and the DS should fit comfortably in 1 pocket.  Worked when I went to DC/New York two months ago . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 11:43:15 AM »

I'm a big fan of Meteos, personally. But if you aren't sure, pick it up used. Then if you don't like it, take it back.

Would someone explain the Castlevania thing to me? It's a side-scroller, right? Everyone is raving about it, but what's so special?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Quote from: "Farscry"

Is Mario Kart DS more like the SNES Mario Kart (which I loved very much) or like the N64 mario kart?

That's actually a tough call; it's definitely more like the N64 Mario Kart, but the retro tracks include tracks from the original SNES game as well as the GBA game (which was very SNES-reminiscent).  In addition, the general gameplay of the racing feels more like the SNES game, since the horrible catch-up AI from the N64 edition is either not there, or has been toned down significantly.  The new tracks often feel more focused than the tracks in the N64 version were, but still aren't as tight as the SNES tracks were.

I still miss having coins on the track to raise your top speed.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 05:57:52 PM »

I will probably look for a cheaper phoenix wright, and maybe go find a place to rent castlevania and mario cart to see which one I want most.  meteos looks cool so I might rent that also.
right now I dont even have a DS though since I have a lite reserved but I will have my lite 2 weeks before my vacation so should have time to check out games
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 04:17:33 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

Would someone explain the Castlevania thing to me? It's a side-scroller, right? Everyone is raving about it, but what's so special?

I really liked how they incorporated RPG elements into the game.  Equipping Soma with different upgradeable weapons and armor, having a huge amount of monsters to defeat and being able to use and upgrade each one's special power was really cool and very addicting.  
Always being able to display the map on the second screen was also very convienient.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 07:02:49 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"

I really liked how they incorporated RPG elements into the game.  Equipping Soma with different upgradeable weapons and armor, having a huge amount of monsters to defeat and being able to use and upgrade each one's special power was really cool and very addicting.  
Always being able to display the map on the second screen was also very convienient.

It's just a lot of fun.  I never had a instance where I thought, "This is boring..."  The soul collecting is an addicting aspect.  A nice variety of enemies as well as different settings.

I know people gripe about how the "DS isn't fully utilizing both screens!", but having the map ALWAYS (except going to your status screen) on the screen makes things so much better.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »

Is it the kind of thing that would be hard to appreciate if you'd never played acastlevania game before?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 12:53:12 PM »

Is it the kind of thing that would be hard to appreciate if you'd never played acastlevania game before?

Not necessarilly.  In some ways it might be an advantage since if there is one complaint about Dawn of Sorrow is that it is very similar to it's GBA predecessors as well as the PS1 great Symphony of the Night.

Do you like the Zelda/Metroid style of play where you will see an item or location that is just out of reach but you know that after you get some new item and equipment you can come back and discover new things?  If so then Castlevania is for you.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »

I'm an explorer by nature. E.g. playing WoW I'm always heading up into the mountains hoping to stumble across some cool hidden thing. I really liked all the hidden areas of the Loco Roco demo.

How twitchy/hard is Dawn of Sorrow. I'm what you might call a hardcore casual gamer. If it takes a high degree of skill/speed I'm going to get into trouble.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »

How twitchy/hard is Dawn of Sorrow. I'm what you might call a hardcore casual gamer. If it takes a high degree of skill/speed I'm going to get into trouble.

Love hidden areas?  Then Castlevania is for you.  

It is a bit twitchy- but nothing like Ninja Gaiden and the RPG-lite elements allow you to give yourself more of an advantage if needed.  I wouldn't think a hardcore casual gamer would have any trouble.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 01:20:59 PM »

Just a warning, I am a Zelda/Metroid whore and Castlevania DS hasn't really done much for me. I plan to retry it again at some point, but for whatever reason it just seems too "slow" paced for me, yet I still found it kind of hard.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
KJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 01:39:17 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

It is a bit twitchy- but nothing like Ninja Gaiden and the RPG-lite elements allow you to give yourself more of an advantage if needed.  I wouldn't think a hardcore casual gamer would have any trouble.

I had not played a Castlevania before Dawn of Sorrow and I played it pretty much until my hands fell off.  It certainly made me more interested in the Castlevania series, and I was a lock to get the PS2 one that came out shortly after, until I read all the bad reviews for that one. frown

Regardless, Dawn of Sorrow was some of the best fun I've had with my DS to date.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 01:42:36 PM »

Wow, I just watched this vid for the next one (Portrait of Ruin) and I gotta say it looks like the enemies are creative. Looks like fun and I bet my son would love it too. I'll have to keep an eye out for this at the store.

Dang, too many good DS games...I just picked up Tetris DS yesterday.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »

Quote from: "KJ"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I had not played a Castlevania before Dawn of Sorrow and I played it pretty much until my hands fell off.  It certainly made me more interested in the Castlevania series, and I was a lock to get the PS2 one that came out shortly after, until I read all the bad reviews for that one. frown

Regardless, Dawn of Sorrow was some of the best fun I've had with my DS to date.

Agreed.  Very much my situation with the Castlevania series as well and had as much fun as you did.

Yeah Portrait of Ruin, even with the lame looking "concept art", looks utterly fantastic.  Love the new setting!

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 03:07:35 PM »

I'll be the dissenting opinion on Mario Kart.  Aside from grasping the whole jump-and-wiggle powerslide mechanic, there isn't much to mastering the game. The courses , with the exception of a few, just felt uninspired and very much 'been there done that'.

I dunno, maybe I just played too many cart racers during the PS1 era, but I definate didn't catch the fever with Mario Kart.

I will say the wifi multiplayer was pretty great though.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »

A few games that haven't been mentioned:

Kirby - probably the only game on the DS that realizes the full potential of the stylus interface. You don't control Kirby directly, but instead draw paths for him using the stylus. Its definately one of the more unique platformers out there. There are tons of unlockables - if you are into that sort of thing the game will last you quite some time.

Ouendan - fun, funny rythym action game with a whacky plot, import only right now. They are making US version, but it will be a totally differnt game with new songs and stories.

Sonic Rush - nothing ground breaking, but it finnaly gets the sonic formula right after years of post genesis 2d and 3d trash. If you enjoyed the original  sonic games on the genny, you'll have a blast. The 3d boss battles are kind of goofy though.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »

So I borrowed a copy of Castlevania DS from the store and plan to buy it today. I'm having a lot of fun with this one. While I found things to be rough going initially, it was a question of getting a weapon upgrade or two.

*possible minor spoilers below*

I can now take out the little ice crystal blocks and just gained the ability to use a second equipment configuration.

You can kind of make your own difficulty setting by how much you repeat things. Because of the wacky insta-respawn you can level up very easily with certain creatures (notably "The Creature" in the early going) or get a particular soul you need. Likewise, money is very easy to come by (brass knuckles + zombie + one of the early armor souls sells for about 8500 )

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 05:23:22 PM »

So I borrowed a copy of Castlevania DS from the store and plan to buy it today.

I hope this doesn't come off as snarky, as I'm truly asking this because I'm curious rather than trying to start an argument. Did you borrow a used copy? If it's new and you decided not to buy it, would your store try to resell it as new?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 12:05:43 PM »

It was a used copy.

It is permissible to borrow an opened (for display) new copy. I don't think I've ever done that, personally. Checking out used games is preferred where possible.

If you'd like to discuss this further, let's please do so in another thread.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: