http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:00:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need for the Speed Shift  (Read 705 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2009, 05:34:55 AM »

I'm hearing mixed reviews for this one on Metacritics, reviews generally very glowing but it is absolutely being stomped by player reviews which is generally unusual. Anyone else got this and how are they finding this. For me the benchmark would be Grid - if you loved Grid and love this then it maybe for me - if you hated Grid and love this I suspect it is not for me and maybe too much towards realism?

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »

The impression I've gotten is that people who play with the overhead view hate the game, while those who play with cockpit view love it. I fall into the latter category.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »

There is a PC demo out there that's worth trying if you're on the fence.  It wasn't enough to convince me to buy it, but it was nice to try out the cockpit view everyone is raving about.  I wouldn't say that it goes too far towards realism if you like Grid, but that's based off a pretty short experience.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »

The demo crashes when I try it frown

Tilt how did you find grid and what view did you use?

What controller do you use?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »

I love Grid, which was actually my first real car game ever. Need for Speed: Shift is my second such game if you don't count games like Mafia, GTA and Burnout Paradise. I use a Logitech Momo Steering Wheel.

I used the overhead view in Grid and use the cockpit view in NFS:Shift. The experience is very different, but fun in both games.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »

OK finally got the demo to work - it appears to be an issue with AMD multi - cores so forcing it to single core sorted. Game runs smoothly and really feels like Grid v2. Cockpit views I don't usually like but these are nice and certainly game works well in this view. Need to play more but its a strong possible as a purchase

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »

Quote from: Tals on September 30, 2009, 06:19:49 PM

OK finally got the demo to work - it appears to be an issue with AMD multi - cores so forcing it to single core sorted. Game runs smoothly and really feels like Grid v2. Cockpit views I don't usually like but these are nice and certainly game works well in this view. Need to play more but its a strong possible as a purchase

Hit the purchase button, I need more tracks.

Any favourite tracks/cars where I can aim to beat you  icon_twisted

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:26:52 AM »

Hopefully the game will be arriving today. Enjoyed the demo a lot, I tend to play on experienced with most of the aids turned off but Leaving the racing line on. I like how it isn't static so if it is on red for decelerate it will change to green if you slow to much and is graduated so you can see speed required round whole corner. Also the time display shows a constant breakdown of where all the other cars are relative to you. Really helps to understand corners you do well so the time improves and those not so good. Once I get the game I can post impressions.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 06:15:57 AM »

Finally the game arrived  icon_evil Enjoying it a lot, I particularly like the time track mode where you try and beat previous times and have a set period todo it - works for another forum where the players are selecting a circuit and a car and then trying to beat each others scores. In terms of Grid v Shift, they are similar but I prefer the handling in Shift - just feels a little more right, the controller controls is also better - in Grid it was way to sensitive regardless of what you did frown The racing line implementation and various achievements are also masterful.

Anyone playing this either in here or Console? If so we could do some Time Track Challenges, once you do your score you post a screen shot or photo of the screen smile

Tals

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 06:38:58 AM »

I've got the game but have too much on my plate to play it much at the moment. I'll get back to it later, but I don't know when. Need to finish all the other great games coming out first, such as Risen, Uncharted 2, Brütal Legend, Dragon Age, etc... Life sure sucks.  crybaby  Tongue
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2009, 06:38:58 AM

I've got the game but have too much on my plate to play it much at the moment. I'll get back to it later, but I don't know when. Need to finish all the other great games coming out first, such as Risen, Uncharted 2, Brütal Legend, Dragon Age, etc... Life sure sucks.  crybaby  Tongue

I'm getting quite into this, with the challenge I just want to play to get more money to get a faster car to beat the scores. Anyway challenge posted in Console area for time challenge smile

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=36407.new;topicseen#new

Just read this as well

http://forums.xbox.com/29123795/ShowPost.aspx

There is now a 2nd fix for the sensitive steering/oversteer problem this game exhibits in its default settings.  And let me tell you it is a NIGHT and DAY difference.
Please use 2nd fix along with the original thread suggestions on turning down sensitivity in the control options.

I have posted the original sensitivity config here:

Steering Dead Zone-15%
Accel Dead Zone-10%
Brake Dead Zone-10%
Steering sensitivity-5%
Acell Sensitivity -5%
Brake sensitivity-5%
Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

On to the 2nd fix:

At the main menu enter CAR GARAGE----> TUNING,  press 'Y' to enter quick tuning mode.
Under the heading 'balance' move the slider all the way to OVERSTEER.  That's right  oversteer.  Apparently the developer labeled this slider wrong or its a glitch.  Turning the slider to oversteer will actually add understeer.

Now go drive.  as you can see the cars are now more comparible to the feeling of Forza2 and RacePro.  It may not be as good but it is now close!   There was a sim hidden somewhere in all this mess and I may have to take back some to the nasty things I said beforehand smile

(Special thanks to Torque Spike for finding this on the EA forums!)

Tals
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:17:43 PM by Tals » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: