http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:13:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need for Speed: Undercover  (Read 4782 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »

IGN says stay away with a 5.0!  Worse for PS3: 4.0!

Herewith the comments:

Closing Comments
Need for Speed Undercover is a poor game with a ton of problems, both technically and in terms of design. The open world design is completely lost as you can't actually drive to any event, many races are closed off which means no cross traffic, and it's incredibly easy. The presentation could have been good but winds up feeling totally contrived and confusing at times. The game could, and should, have been leaps and bounds better than it is. As it stands, though, there's absolutely no reason to pick this up over the likes of Burnout Paradise or Midnight Club: Los Angeles, both of which demolish it in every way possible.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:22:06 PM »

That's disappointing. I'll probably pick it up anyway as I'm like that. Hell, I enjoyed Pro Street and Carbon and most of the NFS knockoffs (SRS, HIN, etc).

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »

IMO, the last really good NFS game was Porsche Unleashed. I loved the early days of the series, but I've never been a fan of all this 'underground' thug/rice stuff. It seems they've been stuck in that mode for the past 5 years or so.

My dream racer is something like rFactor's physics and NFS Porsche's tracks and gameplay style.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »

I enjoyed the cheesy fun of that first Need for Speed next gen game (Most Wanted?).  I hear a lot of the over the toppedness has been taken out of this one.

GamesRadar liked it okay, though, so it may not be all bad.  They gave it 7/10.

You'll love
Eclectic collection of cars
Refined Most Wanted formula
Fast pace, even between races

You'll hate
More glitz than substance
Cities lack traffic
Modify cars with real money?]

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »

EGM gave it a B IIRC but Edge gave it a 5/10.  So really mixed reactions.  Which is too bad because I was really hoping this would be a return to form like the awesome Most Wanted. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 18, 2008, 02:28:18 PM

IMO, the last really good NFS game was Porsche Unleashed. I loved the early days of the series

I never was able to finish the driver stuff because of the 180-reverse drive-180 trick.  I NEVER could get that one down.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »

I saw the TV commercial for this last night, and it was horrible.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:49:05 PM »

I've played Midnight Club LA at work for a bit and it definitely seemed like a great choice (and the reviews agree).  Buy a good game instead of telling EA that it's OK to spew out crap year after year.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:53:05 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2008, 03:49:05 PM

I've played Midnight Club LA at work for a bit and it definitely seemed like a great choice (and the reviews agree).  Buy a good game instead of telling EA that it's OK to spew out crap year after year.

How's the difficulty in Midnight Club?  That's the only thing keeping me away.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »

IMO, the last really good NFS game was Porsche Unleashed.

I really, really wish they would remake or make a sequel for this game.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 18, 2008, 03:53:05 PM

I'd say it's one of the harder arcade racers.  The AI is a bit too good at avoiding traffic, and if you crash just once you'll usually fall too far behind to win.  Compared to other racers the variety of vehicles available seems a little small.

It's a great looking game and fun at times, but if you're on the fence I'd give it a rent before you buy.

16-bit and loving it!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on November 18, 2008, 07:33:09 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 18, 2008, 03:53:05 PM

I'd say it's one of the harder arcade racers.  The AI is a bit too good at avoiding traffic, and if you crash just once you'll usually fall too far behind to win.  Compared to other racers the variety of vehicles available seems a little small.

It's a great looking game and fun at times, but if you're on the fence I'd give it a rent before you buy.

I've played quite a bit of MC:LA and love it. It is definitely harder than your typical arcade racer. On the plus side, lsoing doesn't cost you anything except in pink slip races and if you lose a pink slip race you can race again to win your car back by beating the car you lost. It'll keep up to 3 cars that you've lose for you to win back, that 4th loss in a row will make one go byebye for good though and money cuold become a problem. smile

I'll still buy Undercover. I'm like that.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »

IMO, the last really good NFS game was Porsche Unleashed. I loved the early days of the series, but I've never been a fan of all this 'underground' thug/rice stuff. It seems they've been stuck in that mode for the past 5 years or so.

My dream racer is something like rFactor's physics and NFS Porsche's tracks and gameplay style.

I have a soft spot for NFS:PU as well. It's still on my hardrive and I've been amazed at how well it runs on relatively current PC's; stable on WinXP, supports widescreen, support newer peripherals i.e. 360 wheel, etc... As much as I like it, I don't think it's nearly as approachable for most gamers as NFS:MW or some of the other good entries in the series. PU was really much more of a simulation than arcade racer and it it's harder to enjoy it without a wheel. I'd love to see another NFS survey racer, but I also think the PC is about the only platform where it would be viable. Of course if they keep releasing inferior arcade racers, then maybe the market will be ripe for it. slywink
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »

If that's the case, I may have to reinstall it and get coop to come over and beat the place I'm stuck at on the driver career.   nod

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »

I read the Game Informer review, I think it was 7/10. They said it was pretty much more of the same, nothing special, *shrug* still nto enoguh to dissuade me. I'll pick it up today and probably have impressions tonight or in the morning.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »

Game Trailers review was really really harsh (sounded worse than the 6.7 they gave it).  I'm completely OUT on this one. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 19, 2008, 02:03:38 PM

I read the Game Informer review, I think it was 7/10. They said it was pretty much more of the same, nothing special, *shrug* still nto enoguh to dissuade me. I'll pick it up today and probably have impressions tonight or in the morning.

More of the same is EXACTLY what I, and I think most people, want. If same = NFS:MW then I'm all about it.
The stuff that IGN was critical of made little sense to me. I don't care if the open-world stuff feels tacked on.
I don't care if the races courses are bounded. I don't want NFS: Burnout like they seem to. As for too easy, well,
I thought Most Wanted was amazing until I got to about 7 on the black list and the game became more
frustratingly hard than fun. Turning the difficulty down a notch doesn't sound all that bad to me.

As for NFSPU, I count that game among my top 10 all time easily and would also love to see a sequel.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:36:23 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »

I think they are saying more of the same "Carbon" than MW. The one part that disappointed me is that it sounds like you don't control upgrades at all, they just sort of happen.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »

I liked carbon too. Not as much as MW, maybe, but I enjoyed it.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »

Team XBOX gave it an 8.1 and after playing it last night for a bit, that seems much more in line with my personal thoughts on the game, than IGN's review does.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 04:14:48 PM »

If it's more like MFS: MW I'm in.  Still love that game.  Might pick it up on the cheap just to finish it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 05:29:17 AM »

I'm heading to bed, but in trying to come up with a quick one word impression I'm trying to decide between vanilla, bland and boring.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 05:46:11 AM »

I've got a copy on the way, and am very interested to see how it turns out.  An open world in racing games is far more annoying than fun to me, so it sounds like I might enjoy this one more than many of the other reviewers.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 20, 2008, 05:29:17 AM

I'm heading to bed, but in trying to come up with a quick one word impression I'm trying to decide between vanilla, bland and boring.

You know, we can read three words almost as easily as one.

Blandly boring vanilla, then?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 20, 2008, 05:46:11 AM

I've got a copy on the way, and am very interested to see how it turns out.  An open world in racing games is far more annoying than fun to me, so it sounds like I might enjoy this one more than many of the other reviewers.

Well that's good about the open world, because in this game the open world appears to have no value except in open world missions obviously.

Single Player Mission types I have seen so far and comments:
Sprint - point to point race on a closed course, stupid easy
Circuit - a couple laps on a closed course, stupid easy
Checkpoint - timed race on a closed course, easy beyond stupid -the one I ran I had almost a minute left on the clock.
Outrun - one on one open world race, you need to lead for X seconds to win (60 or 90 so far). broken easy... if the guy in front of you takes a turn and you miss it, you are in the lead and have a lto fo time befiore he gets back on your tail.
Highway Battle - one on one, get a 1000 foot lead to win or be ahead when time expires. This is the only race I've managed to lose once, it's also the only race with any appreciable traffic and a few of them drive erratically causing mayhem.
Escape - The cops are on you and you have limited time to escape. The time limit is usually around 3 minutes, my fastest was 19 seconds, slowest a bit over a minute (no sign of spike strips yet).
Cost to State - Cause a specified amount of damage within a specified time limit. Basically trash cop cars and then get away. Pretty easy also.
Carjacking - These are sort of story missions I guess. You just stole a car and need to deliver it to the chop shop. Sometimes there is a time limit, sometimes there is a damage limit, most of the time you can't have the cops on you when you deliver. get to the chop shop, evade the cops, easy as pie.

I think that is everything I've seen so far. Pretty much all trivial up to wheelman rank 6 anyway.

You start in a 240sx, early on after winning a story race you get a choice between a half dozen or so new cars including a Lotus Elise which is what I chose. I've yet to see another choice. There is the typical three levels of upgrades to a handful of parts, higher levels are locked until you advance farther. There are 4 tiers of cars, same thing higher tiers locked until you advance. I unlocked the next tier and there was nothing that made me want to give up my Elise. There are visual upgrades but they seem pointless.

The cutscences are extremely lame. The story is extremely thin. The game is extremely easy. The graphics are nothing special. I don't see any reason to buy this for $60 when you can find Most Wanted for $20.

Installing to HD on the 360 seems to have cut race load times in half, which is cool as they were a little long.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 05:38:00 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 20, 2008, 05:29:17 AM

Put in a few hours tonight, and came to pretty much the same conclusion.  I'm not as good at evading the cops as you, but everything else seems extremely easy.  I'll have a lot more to say in my review, but it certainly hasn't made a good first impression.  Hoping it somehow picks up, but I can't imagine it will.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »

I'm at wheelman level 10 now and the challenge has definitely picked up.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 22, 2008, 12:54:51 PM

I'm at wheelman level 10 now and the challenge has definitely picked up.

I made wheelman level 11 and spent half a million on a fully upgraded 911 GT3, the car is so fast as to be nearly uncontrollable and it's only a tier 2 car, I'm scared of the tier 1 cars! I also got caught by the cops for the first time ever - they finally pulled out the spike strip.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »

3 posts in a row. Talking to myself isn't as disturbing as I'd imagined. Speaking of not as disturbing as I imagined. I finished up the single player story on this yesterday. In hindsight I think the game was more fun than I initially gave it credit for. I think a few folks should note the complete disappearance of drifting events/challenges, it's all racing.

It is pretty similar to most wanted in gameplay, but lacking the style of most wanted. Maybe my glasses are rose-colored on that one, not sure. I couldn't find a playtime clock, but I think the SP was fairly short, maybe around 10 hours, though you can keep on completing races after it's all over, you just won't get any more story missions. There are still a bunch ofmissiosn available to me that I hadn't compelted while building up rep for the story. New missions unlock as you level up. I'm not sure how high it goes. I got to wheelman rank 15 on the last mission.

Oh and regarding my last post about the 911 being hard to control, a full upgraded Pagani Zonda F is freaking insane. There aren't a lot of places it's safe to go 240mph for very long. slywink

I'd slot it between Most Wanted and Carbon. The story is kinda weak but the racing is better than Carbon and maybe better than MW. It's boiled down a bit though... no more "on rails" drag racing either.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »

Some of us have been lurking and waiting for the expert's opinion. 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »

Coop, I absolutely adored MW for the unscripted cinematic events that would occur and the movie chase scene feel it had.
It got too hard to get away from the cops in the latter stages, though, so I'm hoping that that complaints that the game is "too easy" mean Undercover won't be so bad.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:54 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 25, 2008, 06:37:05 PM

Coop, I absolutely adored MW for the unscripted cinematic events that would occur and the movie chase scene feel it had.
It got too hard to get away from the cops in the latter stages, though, so I'm hoping that that complaints that the game is "too easy" mean Undercover won't be so bad.

FWIW, I'm finding it difficult to escape the cops, even in the early game.  As soon as you think you've lost them, another 3 cop cars will suddenly spawn right in front of you, and you're starting all over again.  About the only way to get rid of them is to use the marked points on the map that trigger some sort of event (billboard falling, tower collapsing, etc.).  Even then, there seems to be a ridiculous number of cars everywhere you turn.

So far, the police chances have been my least favorite part of the game, by a large margin.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 08:03:44 PM »

Are you talking about the parts where you drove through supports and brought billboards and scaffolding, etc down on the cars chasing you? Those are still there in Undercover. I think there are even more though I tended to hit the ones I was faimiliar with over and over.

It really ramps up over the course of the game. The nice thing is you can avoid a lot of the cop chases later in the game if they are getting too difficult. There are still some story missiosn where you need to escape from the cops, but it doesn't have the MW requirement to complete 6 of 8 challenges where 4 of them involve the cops... you can pretty much stick it to race challenges later on and as long as yuo keep the heat low on your car (paint jobs/visual mods or swapping cars) not worry too much about a chase happening during the race.

On the other hand if you do get in a chase and hit a spike strip, you are toast.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 25, 2008, 08:02:54 PM

FWIW, I'm finding it difficult to escape the cops, even in the early game.  As soon as you think you've lost them, another 3 cop cars will suddenly spawn right in front of you, and you're starting all over again.  About the only way to get rid of them is to use the marked points on the map that trigger some sort of event (billboard falling, tower collapsing, etc.).  Even then, there seems to be a ridiculous number of cars everywhere you turn.

I'm not saying you're crazy, but I've never seen any cop cars spawn, they've all come in from off radar. I will say if you don't escape pretty quickly they do make for some pretty intense swarms and they are way faster than any cop car deserves to be. It is possible to make them lose visual and escape that way, but it's much easier to use the "traps" that are marked on your radar to disable them, or disable them the old fashioned way.

Helicopters make it hard to get away quickly, you have to outlast the helicopters fuel. Just go around the highways at high speed stringing out the cars and eventually the chopper will pull off and then you can escape.

I was caught 3 times running through the whole career. Twice because I hit spike strips that I should have avoided (when approaching a roadblock, ram through a car, preferably while blasting nitrous, not the suspicious open space slywink ) and the other time because I was PITTed into a corner and couldn't break free.

===

Oh and all three times I was caught were in the same damn car (911 GT3 RS) - I hit the power button when I got caught the third time to avoid losing the car, but I didn't need to as I was due to buy an upgrade anyhow and the resale on the cars SUCKS.

====

That brings up another positive. You can power off the system to avoid losing your car if you are desperate. In Midnight Club: LA, if you power off the game when you are going to lose a pink slip race (or bet race) you end up losing the car/bet anyhow. It does a save before the race starts taking away the car/money and only gives it back when you've won the race. Rockstar bastards.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:15:06 PM by coopasonic » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 25, 2008, 08:12:01 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 25, 2008, 08:02:54 PM

I'm not saying you're crazy, but I've never seen any cop cars spawn, they've all come in from off radar.

That's what I meant.  I'll be hauling down the freeway thinking I'm in the clear, then suddenly see three cops cars appear on the radar a few streets away, all of which are on you in about 3 seconds flat.   I've only been caught once, but I almost always run out of time.

Then again, maybe I'm just a shitty driver.  :shrug:

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 25, 2008, 08:03:44 PM

Are you talking about the parts where you drove through supports and brought billboards and scaffolding, etc down on the cars chasing you? Those are still there in Undercover. I think there are even more though I tended to hit the ones I was faimiliar with over and over.

Those are cool, but I meant just the random stuff that happens, like a roadblock happens to set up behind the crest of a hill and you go flying over the whole thing as the camera switches to a slo-mo action view. There were many great moments like that in MW, that just seemed to happen in the course of events.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 03:11:25 PM »

Coop, I've heard a lot of major complaints about the framerate. Have you noticed anything along those lines or is it just like it was in Most Wanted?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 27, 2008, 03:11:25 PM

Coop, I've heard a lot of major complaints about the framerate. Have you noticed anything along those lines or is it just like it was in Most Wanted?

I'm the worst person to ask about framerate, unless it is terrible I just don't notice like a lot of people do. Maybe my eyes are slower than everyone elses but I'm rarely bothered by framerate slowdowns unless it becomes a real slideshow. Nothing bothered me in UC, but like i said I'm not the one to ask.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »

The framerate does get pretty ugly at times.  I don't think it's a deal breaker, but is certainly annoying.

Strange thing is, it's completely random.  It'll run perfectly smooth when I'm mixed up with 7 other cars in the middle of a hairpin turn, but then turn into a slideshow when I'm by myself on a straight, wide open stretch of road. 

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 07:34:53 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 27, 2008, 05:17:09 PM

The framerate does get pretty ugly at times.  I don't think it's a deal breaker, but is certainly annoying.

Strange thing is, it's completely random.  It'll run perfectly smooth when I'm mixed up with 7 other cars in the middle of a hairpin turn, but then turn into a slideshow when I'm by myself on a straight, wide open stretch of road. 

Thanks guys. I think I'll move it up a bit on my Gamefly list. I've already had and sent back Midnight Club, as it just doesn't scratch my arcade racing itch the way Most Wanted did.

I guess if Undercover fails me I'll go back a few months and try out GRID. I never got to play that when it came around, though the demo didn't blow me away.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: