http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:44:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need for Speed: Shift  (Read 3380 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »

OK, it's a lame name but these few 360 screenies look promising.  of course time will tell if this one should have the second F removed from the title or not, but at least it'll be pretty.

at least the series isn't dead like it was rumored to be, and maybe, just maybe, someday we'll have a Most Wanted 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

I was reading about their cockpit view and how the camera is supposed to simulate the view from the drivers head - including the bobbing and weaving from the g-forces during turns, braking, and accelerating. It could be cool if they implement it right and keep it from being the videogame equivalent of shaky-cam.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2009, 02:36:46 PM

at least the series isn't dead like it was rumored to be, and maybe, just maybe, someday we'll have a Most Wanted 2.

or even better; a Porsche Unleashed 2 or Ferrari Unleashed. slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »

From what I've heard they are basically going after the Project Gotham crowd with this one.  Personally I'd prefer to just play PGR instead.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »

I liked this game better when it was called Grid.   icon_lol
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »

Give me a N4S:Most Wanted.   Loved that game

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:26:01 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 02, 2009, 02:54:56 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 02, 2009, 02:36:46 PM

or even better; a Porsche Unleashed 2 or Ferrari Unleashed. slywink

exactly...give me another game as awesome as Porsche Unleashed and i'll be buying my first NFS game in years...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 01:54:34 AM »

Anyone get this?

The IGN review is extremely positive, it got a 9.

Closing Comments
Need for Speed Shift is a glorious return to greatness (and even excellence) for EA's seminal racing franchise. Slightly Mad Studios has delivered a driving experience that, while not completely accurate in terms of its simulation aspects, is practically dead-on in terms of what it's like to race around some of the world's best racing circuits. The career mode could (and should) have been a little better, but the act of driving is basically phenomenal.

Impressions anyone?

Eco

Wake up.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 02:33:47 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 13, 2009, 01:54:34 AM

Anyone get this?

Closing Comments
Need for Speed Shift is a glorious return to greatness (and even excellence) for EA's seminal racing franchise. Slightly Mad Studios has delivered a driving experience that, while not completely accurate in terms of its simulation aspects, is practically dead-on in terms of what it's like to race around some of the world's best racing circuits. The career mode could (and should) have been a little better, but the act of driving is basically phenomenal.

Impressions anyone?

Eco

Is it out? Amazon is saying the 15th. I may get it if more reviews and impressions are as good as IGN's.

FWIW, Amazon has it for $56.99 with a $10 g/c for a future video game purchase.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 04:41:23 AM »

not out yet, but that IGN review has me considering picking up Shift instead of DiRT 2 once i get my 360 back from repairs...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 07:44:27 AM »

Shift wasn't even on my radar, but I might have to sandwhich it betwen MUA2 and Wet. My wallet says owwy  crybaby

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 03:01:51 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2009, 07:44:27 AM

Shift wasn't even on my radar, but I might have to sandwhich it betwen MUA2 and Wet. My wallet says owwy  crybaby

Same.  I've basically been done with NFS, but now I'm very curious.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:30:51 PM »

That's lovely, but IMHO, the series has never been about, nor should it be about, racing around some of the world's best racing circuits. There are already more than enough games that do this. More importantly, the I don't believe that the core NFS fan is interested in this kind of racing. And the PGR/Forza/Grid crowd may stay away from this because of the NFS tag. Regardless of the quality, I think this one is going to be a bust because it isn't true to the roots of the franchise. Between this and Pro Street, they are screwing up the brand.

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 13, 2009, 01:54:34 AM

Anyone get this?

Closing Comments

Impressions anyone?

Eco

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 13, 2009, 03:30:51 PM

That's lovely, but IMHO, the series has never been about, nor should it be about, racing around some of the world's best racing circuits. There are already more than enough games that do this. More importantly, the I don't believe that the core NFS fan is interested in this kind of racing. And the PGR/Forza/Grid crowd may stay away from this because of the NFS tag. Regardless of the quality, I think this one is going to be a bust because it isn't true to the roots of the franchise. Between this and Pro Street, they are screwing up the brand.

I mostly agree. This graphics and physics engine with a Porsche Unleashed style game would've been console racing nirvana. Why EA refuses to go back to the critically acclaimed Porsche Unleashed design format is beyond me.  Seems like they decided to spend 8 years on the 'underground' ricer style, which I abhor.

Two things done to death are the 'underground' night racer, and the 'real world circuit' (with it's same 20 tracks over and over and over).

I want the classic NFS A --> B tracks with gorgeous scenery, traffic, cityscapes, shortcuts, etc.

Another racing game that is seriously underdone is the I-76 style with car combat, and the Carmageddon style with it's total wanton destruction. (Burnout doesn't count).
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »

Preordered this and Scribblenauts last week.  Might have to throw MUA2 on the pile as well.  Looking forward to this though.  The videos have been awesome.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

I tend to agree.  This may be a good game, but it doesn't match up to anything they have been doing with the NFS series lately.  Also, compared to Forza 3, which I would now consider a direct competitor, this is going to have less than a quarter of the content for those who like to collect cars and race on a wide variety of tracks.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »

I think car licensing is the reason we haven't seen a Porche Unleashed again.

I do agree that I much prefer racing through fantasic never-in-real-life tracks than doing the real world tracks.  And I'd prefer to do it not as a punk.  But a good game is a good game.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »

personally, i think this is getting back a little closer to what the NFS series was all about in the past...sim-lite style racing with great cars on great tracks, without the annoyance of lame characters and being forced to drive around an open world for events.  while i do agree that fictional courses could be more fun than yet another game with real-world tracks, i have a feeling that Shift will have something to offer that is distinctly different from the hardcore sim racers. 

i'm in the group that thinks NFS:Porsche Unleashed was an all-time peak for the series and would love to see something similar happen again, but it doesn't look like we're ever going to be that lucky.  it wouldn't even have to be brand-specific to get in my interest...just a game with similar driving feel and courses with modern graphics would be awesome.  thinking about Porsche Unleashed has me tempted to load it up and start playing yet again...last time was probably a couple years ago, but it still held up pretty well...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »

For some reason, the detail that keeps popping up in my mind from NFS:PU are the yellow leaves blowing around.  I just loved that.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 13, 2009, 06:43:44 PM

i'm in the group that thinks NFS:Porsche Unleashed was an all-time peak for the series and would love to see something similar happen again, but it doesn't look like we're ever going to be that lucky.  it wouldn't even have to be brand-specific to get in my interest...just a game with similar driving feel and courses with modern graphics would be awesome.  thinking about Porsche Unleashed has me tempted to load it up and start playing yet again...last time was probably a couple years ago, but it still held up pretty well...

Oh, absolutely! I consider NFSPU one of my favorite games in any genre. FWIW, the footage of Shift looks really good, but I have my concerns, as already noted.

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »

Car Battle Mode!

My interest has been increasing slowly with this game. I've avoided the last few iterations. It seemed like EA jumped the shark and took the series to places it had no business being. I too am looking to rekindle the magic of what made the NFS games popular in the first place.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »

I'd love a demo of this!

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 11:40:07 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on September 13, 2009, 09:01:36 PM

I'd love a demo of this!
I seem to recall that there wasn't going to be a demo, but I can't remember where I read that.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 03:25:44 AM »

Just pre-ordered at Amazon. There's a lot of positive buzz around Shift, I played it at bit at E3 but not for long. Others who have put a lot of time into it say it's incredible. Between GT5, Forza, and Shift, I'm choosing Shift this year.

Sean Lama
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 03:31:07 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2009, 03:25:44 AM

Just pre-ordered at Amazon. There's a lot of positive buzz around Shift, I played it at bit at E3 but not for long. Others who have put a lot of time into it say it's incredible. Between GT5, Forza, and Shift, I'm choosing Shift this year.

GT5 is hardly in the running for "this year". It'll be amazing if it sees the light of day in 2010.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 03:36:33 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on September 14, 2009, 03:31:07 AM

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2009, 03:25:44 AM

GT5 is hardly in the running for "this year". It'll be amazing if it sees the light of day in 2010.

Has that been confirmed? Amazon lists it at the end of December and Gamestop in February, but I wasn't sure whether or not it was officially confirmed for 2010. What makes you believe the game is so far from completion? From what I understand it's done, they're just squeezing in as much as possible before release.

Sean Lama
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »

Pretty sure that he's right. IIRC, there is no official date on GT5 as yet, but it is expected next year. GT for PSP will be out this year.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 01:50:15 AM »

The only thing that bothers me about is the loading times.  I watched GB quicklook and it took about 30 seconds to load each race and that was off the hard drive. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 03:36:54 AM »

I've put a few hours into Shift now. It's definitely a knockout aesthetically, the cockpit view has to the best I've experienced and the sense of speed is astonishing, the cars and tracks look great as well. The sound is monstrous! It's like being right on the track, you can hear the tires screaming and the engine growling. This game will put your surround sound system to work. My starter car is a Honda Civic Si, I've did some tier 1 upgrades but I look forward to throwing in nitrous  icon_twisted

Sean Lama
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 03:40:34 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 16, 2009, 03:36:54 AM

I've put a few hours into Shift now. It's definitely a knockout aesthetically, the cockpit view has to the best I've experienced and the sense of speed is astonishing, the cars and tracks look great as well. The sound is monstrous! It's like being right on the track, you can hear the tires screaming and the engine growling. This game will put your surround sound system to work. My starter car is a Honda Civic Si, I've did some tier 1 upgrades but I look forward to throwing in nitrous  icon_twisted

Nitrous? Hmm, I hadn't expected that in the upgrade options. I might see it in Midnight Club: LA, but I thought NFSS was going the more serious route.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 05:31:33 AM »

lol, you can use MS points to unlock cars if you don't have enough in-game cash.  Good grief.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 06:53:27 AM »

Quote from: kathode on September 16, 2009, 05:31:33 AM

lol, you can use MS points to unlock cars if you don't have enough in-game cash.  Good grief.

what?? Gods.... that is almost sickening....

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »

I've been hearing a lot of comparisons to Forza and GT, but to me it seems NFS:S took most of it's inspiration from Project Gotham.  You get stars for doing things on the track, and most of them are just like kudos (though I like the aggressive/precision split ranking system).  And those stars unlock events in a branching menu.  Plus you can race on empty-feeling but beautiful city streets.  The only differences are the real-world cars and tracks.

I've been using the cockpit view myself, which is something I never do (why hinder yourself, when you can see more of the track the other way), but it's very well done.  I was a little disturbed that, in a scraper with another car, my side-view mirror came off!  That limited my visibilty a lot and made the race that much more intense.

As for the MS points thing, at least it's not required.   As long as you don't have to do it to get some features, I have no problem with that.  If someone's impatient and wants to spend cash, let 'em.  No skin off my nose.

Can anyone explain what that symbol they use to represent NFS is supposed to be?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:29:50 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »

I'm starting to get interested in this game, but I'd prefer to buy it online. The problem is that it doesn't look like Steam is getting it, and Direct2Drive will only sell to the US, UK, and EU areas, while I'm in Norway. Argh! I hate dealing with DVDs for games.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 16, 2009, 06:53:27 AM

According to the IGN video reviewer, the amount of cash rewarded was such that he was able to go to higher racing tiers and immediately buy the best car for that tier without having to grind for cash in the lower-tier races. In fact, the reviewer was almost complaining that the game gives you too much cash.

So, I would think the MS points thing is probably unnecessary for the likes of the people here.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:06 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 16, 2009, 12:24:26 PM

Can anyone explain what that symbol they use to represent NFS is supposed to be?

I'm guessing that's an "N" combined with a stick shift.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »

Quote from: raydude on September 16, 2009, 01:36:19 PM

Quote from: Razgon on September 16, 2009, 06:53:27 AM

According to the IGN video reviewer, the amount of cash rewarded was such that he was able to go to higher racing tiers and immediately buy the best car for that tier without having to grind for cash in the lower-tier races. In fact, the reviewer was almost complaining that the game gives you too much cash.

So, I would think the MS points thing is probably unnecessary for the likes of the people here.

okay - I just REALLY hate that when I buy a game, I have to buy the content to it afterwards... Its a pokemon thing which I really detest since the first time I heard the theme song brainwashing kids all over the world (Gotta get them all, gotta get them all)...

A new one
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

As long as I can unlock them by playing the game then its ok if they can be unlocked by MS points. if someone is too lazy and just wants a car then they can just spend money to get it. If they make it where you have to spend money to unlock it then that is shit and I would be pissed.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 16, 2009, 01:41:12 PM

okay - I just REALLY hate that when I buy a game, I have to buy the content to it afterwards... Its a pokemon thing which I really detest since the first time I heard the theme song brainwashing kids all over the world (Gotta get them all, gotta get them all)...

I don't understand, are you lamenting the fact that you have to buy cars in the game in the first place? I think every racing game has done this since Gran Tourismo. The only difference here is that you have the option to use MS points if you so desire.

To which the IGN review implies that you won't need to use the MS points at all because you'll be swimming in cash if you are halfway competent.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »

Quote from: raydude on September 16, 2009, 03:00:18 PM

Quote from: Razgon on September 16, 2009, 01:41:12 PM

I don't understand, are you lamenting the fact that you have to buy cars in the game in the first place? I think every racing game has done this since Gran Tourismo. The only difference here is that you have the option to use MS points if you so desire.

To which the IGN review implies that you won't need to use the MS points at all because you'll be swimming in cash if you are halfway competent.

Actually, its the idea that the industry now include options to spend more money on something that you already bought - its pure greed as I see it. I guess we'll see how it works out, but you can be sure there will be incentive to use the MS points in-game, instead of unlocking by racing but I guess we will see how it pans out.

Micro transactions are pretty good for the companies, but in my opinion its not good for consumers, i.e. going to cost us a lot more

A new one
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: