http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 11:02:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1/Ps3/Ps4] Need for Speed Rivals  (Read 1885 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:56 AM »

it's about time for their annual announcement, and coming from their Facebook page with the blurb 'Have no rules, show no mercy':

anyone care to guess why people are guessing that it's a Hot Pursuit sequel? biggrin  rumors were going around about another Underground game too, but IIRC there were no police in the previous Underground games.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:05:56 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »

they updated the main site.  it's NFS Rivals, play as a cop or a racer.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:06:21 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »

And as is going to become very common for next-gen games, it sounds like they're pushing heavily on the drop-in coop and competitive play.  So if you're driving around as a cop and happen to be on the same street as somebody running from the cops, you will get the dynamic mission to run them down. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:30:21 PM »

a German site is reporting a 30FPS cap for the PC version.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:40:42 PM »

In other news, this game is getting pretty good reviews. It appears to be one of the better next-gen games right now. It might be the first EA game I buy since Mass Effect 3, an exception I make only because of the occasion. It's not every day that we transfer to a new console generation with only a limited number of games available.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »

I figure I'll at least rent the XB1 version at some point while waiting for the PC version to price drop and hopefully have the frame rate limiter removed (if it is there).  with 3D gaming these days a 30fps limit doesn't make sense, since it would effectively make it run at 15fps if someone wanted to play in 3D.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »

I may pick this up since the Forza wheel is so far off and out of my reach frown)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »

I have this preordered for the Xbox One and I'm really glad to hear it's turning out to be a good game.  Let's hope it arrives on time this Friday since I ordered from the Microsoft store (along with Dead Rising 3). 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 17, 2013, 09:53:33 PM

I may pick this up since the Forza wheel is so far off and out of my reach frown)

you're still getting Forza though, right?

Because I can,
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 17, 2013, 09:48:17 PM

I figure I'll at least rent the XB1 version at some point while waiting for the PC version to price drop and hopefully have the frame rate limiter removed (if it is there).  with 3D gaming these days a 30fps limit doesn't make sense, since it would effectively make it run at 15fps if someone wanted to play in 3D.

Where does one rent games nowadays? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake up.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 12:44:40 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 18, 2013, 12:11:12 AM

gamefly

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 18, 2013, 12:44:40 AM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 18, 2013, 12:11:12 AM

gamefly

or Redbox.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 17, 2013, 11:32:00 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on November 17, 2013, 09:53:33 PM

you're still getting Forza though, right?

yeah, it's paid for.  Just not looking forward to it without a wheel honestly.  It's not anywhere near the same experience with a pad
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:32:01 AM »

I got the PS4 version in the Amazon B2G1F promotion but it still doesn't have a ship date so I went ahead and bought it somewhere else and it's pretty awesome.   The graphics look nice and there are a ton of particles everywhere from leaves, to dust, and the rain storm looks fantastic.  The game is made for multiplayer so after the tutorial it puts you in a world with 8 other drivers who could be a cop or a racer and you may meet them during your challenges in each type of career.  You may be a cop and see a race going on and a couple of the racers are human opponents so if you can take them down you get a little more xp.  I had a great time and played for about 3 hours straight and didn't have any issues except once where the host had to be changed and that took about 30 seconds and I was back in the world.  You don't have to do the multiplayer stuff but it's a cool idea and works well.

The game plays great with a controller, I've tried these types of racers with a wheel and it's not as fun as a realistic race game because of the speed and overall arcady aspects. 

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »

Quote from: shon on November 18, 2013, 05:32:01 AM

I got the PS4 version in the Amazon B2G1F promotion but it still doesn't have a ship date so I went ahead and bought it somewhere else and it's pretty awesome.   The graphics look nice and there are a ton of particles everywhere from leaves, to dust, and the rain storm looks fantastic.  The game is made for multiplayer so after the tutorial it puts you in a world with 8 other drivers who could be a cop or a racer and you may meet them during your challenges in each type of career.  You may be a cop and see a race going on and a couple of the racers are human opponents so if you can take them down you get a little more xp.  I had a great time and played for about 3 hours straight and didn't have any issues except once where the host had to be changed and that took about 30 seconds and I was back in the world.  You don't have to do the multiplayer stuff but it's a cool idea and works well.

The game plays great with a controller, I've tried these types of racers with a wheel and it's not as fun as a realistic race game because of the speed and overall arcady aspects. 

Getting this tomorrow. Harpua33 is my psn tag. Feel free to hit me up.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »

Ok, only spent a little time with this as I was checking out a bunch of stuff last night, but does that Welcome to All Drive video seriously play every time you exit your garage?   
g2gdotcom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »

Haven't tried the game yet.  What do you guys think about the game?

thumbsup or  thumbsdown
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »

Quote from: g2gdotcom on November 20, 2013, 10:10:41 AM

Haven't tried the game yet.  What do you guys think about the game?

thumbsup or  thumbsdown

I'm still waiting for my XB1 copy to arrive on Friday, but will try to give impressions this weekend.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »

I got it on Friday and have played a few times since.  I feel like I've been only playing with bots, for some reason.  None the less, it's fun and looks good.

They seem to be trying for a big console version of what is happening in mobile gaming right now, which is quick hit gaming to go after goals.  The first game I remember doing this is Jetpack Joyride.  Before each run, you'd get a list of goals.  When you cleared those goals, you'd go up a level.  It created a very compulsive itch to scratch.  Rivals does the exact same thing.  When you leave HQ, you get a list of goals to accomplish.  When you check 'em all off, you go back to HQ for a new car/upgrade and get a new list before heading out again.  So far, accomplishing these goals has not taken a lot of time.  More than a round of Jetpack Joyride, of course, but it seems to be the Big Game equivalent.

What is confusing to me about this process is that you have to pick a category before heading out.  I've been playing the Police side, and you choose between Patrol, Undercover and Enforcer.  Each of these give you different tasks to accomplish and sends you out in a different version of the same car, tweaked to your needs.  But accomplishing the goal seems to give you the car unlock for all three categories, so I don't really see the point apart from picking the goals you're most interested in for that round. Which is okay, I guess.  It just seems a little pointless.  Maybe it's stronger on the Racer side.  I haven't dabbled in that much.

Of course, autolog is also back, which is a souped up leaderboard, but the souping really makes a difference, IMO.  I never pay attention to leaderboards, but autolog is kind of like a continual stream of taunts and dares.  It makes you want to up your game.  However, I haven't really seen anyone else post anything, so this has added to my feeling like I've been playing in a void.

It looks great and controls well and even when it's emptier than it clearly wants to be, it's still a lot of fun.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 19, 2013, 04:00:56 PM

Ok, only spent a little time with this as I was checking out a bunch of stuff last night, but does that Welcome to All Drive video seriously play every time you exit your garage?   

Ok, this looks to have been a bug and has gone away, thank god.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 06:54:53 AM »

spent about an hour with this today.  damn, is the handling bad on the early cars.  I need to get used to the e-brake sensitivity as I was playing ping pong against the walls. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 22, 2013, 06:54:53 AM

spent about an hour with this today.  damn, is the handling bad on the early cars.  I need to get used to the e-brake sensitivity as I was playing ping pong against the walls. 

that's the bad thing about racing games; it takes time to get used to the new one and break habits from the old one.  I went from Forza Horizons to GTA 5, and holy hell was I crashing like crazy.  now I get to go from GTA5 to Forza 5, and possibly this game as well.

Because I can,
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »

Thinking of picking this up on Amazon's DD Black Friday deal. Anyone else getting this for PC?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »

After the first few hrs of playing this, I'm liking it. The graphics aren't killzone good, but I've witnessed some impressive sights to say the least. Pretty damn fun too. So far happy with my purchase. One of my good buddies is getting his copy today, that should only make this more fun.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 04:26:23 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 22, 2013, 04:19:11 PM

After the first few hrs of playing this, I'm liking it. The graphics aren't killzone good, but I've witnessed some impressive sights to say the least. Pretty damn fun too. So far happy with my purchase. One of my good buddies is getting his copy today, that should only make this more fun.

I got it yesterday myself and was pretty impressed as well.  Still trying to figure out why I escape a pursuit and then instantly am back in one.  Bad luck, I guess?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 22, 2013, 04:26:23 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 22, 2013, 04:19:11 PM

I got it yesterday myself and was pretty impressed as well.  Still trying to figure out why I escape a pursuit and then instantly am back in one.  Bad luck, I guess?

well, that proves you weren't playing with me.  in my last two pursuit chases, the only car I managed to wreck was my own.  it was frustrating as I had been able to take one car down to a sliver of health when he nudged me in the path of a car, which in my attempt to avoid led me into a wall
by the time I respawned, I had already lost sight of them. 

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »

Drinking and driving do not mix well, it would seem. Zero speed points for my antics last night.  icon_cry

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »

This game is so much fun.  Reminds me of a cross between Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted.  It definitely has that "just one more pursuit" or "just one more race" feel to it.  I turned the Alldrive settings to Friends only, which I like better than playing with random people.  It's nice that there's an option to switch from SP only, to friends, to general public.

If you like more of an arcade feel to your racing game, this is a good one.  Looks good on next gen too. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »

I finally got to try this out yesterday and I have to say I'm not a fan of how they handle the constant multiplayer at all. 

It's not seemless like Test Drive Unlimited or the like, and that sucks.  I had to wait a couple minutes for it to find a match and let me actually start driving, and then multiple times I had to wait quite a while as it migrated hosts.  If you're going to make me do this shit I don't care about with people I don't know, at least make it as seemless and painless as possible.   icon_evil

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 06, 2013, 08:39:50 PM

I finally got to try this out yesterday and I have to say I'm not a fan of how they handle the constant multiplayer at all. 

It's not seemless like Test Drive Unlimited or the like, and that sucks.  I had to wait a couple minutes for it to find a match and let me actually start driving, and then multiple times I had to wait quite a while as it migrated hosts.  If you're going to make me do this shit I don't care about with people I don't know, at least make it as seemless and painless as possible.   icon_evil
You probably already know this, but there's a way to disable the MP aspect all together, or scale it back to just friends, which helps with the matchmaking issue.  If I'm remembering correctly, it's in the All Drive menu options from the garage/base.  Switching to just friends and/or pure SP has made the start up process much faster for me. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 06, 2013, 08:59:59 PM

It's not seemless like Test Drive Unlimited or the like, and that sucks.  I had to wait a couple minutes for it to find a match and let me actually start driving, and then multiple times I had to wait quite a while as it migrated hosts.  If you're going to make me do this shit I don't care about with people I don't know, at least make it as seemless and painless as possible.   icon_evil
You probably already know this, but there's a way to disable the MP aspect all together, or scale it back to just friends, which helps with the matchmaking issue.  If I'm remembering correctly, it's in the All Drive menu options from the garage/base.  Switching to just friends and/or pure SP has made the start up process much faster for me. 

Aah, I didn't actually realize that, thanks!  I find their menus and overall design so obtuse that I'm not surprised I didn't see it. 

Unfortunately, even though I told CK that the dumb story elements shouldn't matter, they really do detract here.  So.  Dumb.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »

That's just weird. I think it just shows how innovative TDU was in actually making it work, both as a form of DRM and gameplay, all the while not being intrusive at all. Loved how it used the online players to populate the world and help it feel alive. You'd think someone would have figured out how to replicate that functionality.

And I don't quite think EA really gets the concept of open-world. Every NFS game that claimed to have an open world has felt rather closed-in. TDU in comparison gave you roads that felt open and pretty much the freedom to go where you wanted.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on December 06, 2013, 09:46:59 PM

It's not seemless like Test Drive Unlimited or the like, and that sucks.  I had to wait a couple minutes for it to find a match and let me actually start driving, and then multiple times I had to wait quite a while as it migrated hosts.  If you're going to make me do this shit I don't care about with people I don't know, at least make it as seemless and painless as possible.   icon_evil

That's just weird. I think it just shows how innovative TDU was in actually making it work, both as a form of DRM and gameplay, all the while not being intrusive at all. Loved how it used the online players to populate the world and help it feel alive. You'd think someone would have figured out how to replicate that functionality.

And I don't quite think EA really gets the concept of open-world. Every NFS game that claimed to have an open world has felt rather closed-in. TDU in comparison gave you roads that felt open and pretty much the freedom to go where you wanted.

Well, Rump, keep your eyes peeled for The Crew (which is from the TDU folks IIRC).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 11:18:17 PM »

Yeah, I imagine that The Crew will do something similar to this but much, much better. 

It's just a shame that EA and Criterion have kind of gone backwards on this game.  They didn't go far enough to make a decent seamless online game, but they force you into it and don't even allow you to really play offline by default either. 

I realized another major annoyance of mine is that you have to bank your earnings before losing them, but it takes so long to load into the garage and then leave it again that I never really want to.  If they had made that a much easier process so you could just drive through a gate at your house or something to bank the cash it would be such a better experience. 

As it is, I even just detest losing all of my earnings because I got busted.  It is such a negative experience to get zero reward for all the work you put in, that every time it happens I want to just quit the game.   Especially when you can be busted for doing nothing but sitting on the side of the road! (it happened to me when I got up to quickly go grab a drink once)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 09, 2013, 11:18:17 PM

Yeah, I imagine that The Crew will do something similar to this but much, much better. 

I cannot wait for the Crew.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic. Car handling at e3 was a bit mushy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 11:57:01 PM »

well that sucks.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 03:42:15 AM »

Ok, so I'm playing the Xbox One version when all of a sudden WHOOOOOSH the camera spins around 360 degrees and I crash into walls, cars, etc.  It does it almost every race and it seems to be at the worst possible times.  As a racer I usually end up busted, and as a cop I usually lose my suspect.  Seems that others have had the same problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvQ8nzDq6Q

Are any of you seeing this?   Between NFSR and Battlefield 4, I couldn't play a damned thing today that wasn't aggravating.   Both of those are EA products too.  Rushed to hit the launch date?  Seems so.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 05:01:20 AM »

So you actually mean the camera spins around 180 degrees? Haven't seen that on the PS4 version.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 05:24:30 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 09, 2013, 08:57:00 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on December 06, 2013, 09:46:59 PM

Well, Rump, keep your eyes peeled for The Crew (which is from the TDU folks IIRC).

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't heard of it smile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: